• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Pairs of Shoes?

momof34man

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino Frances, 2018 Cotswolds
So, I am trying to plan out my packing list for my feet for my camino next May. I am stuck on whether or not to bring hiking sandals or not. Currently, I have my hiking shoes (Merrills) which I am planning on using every day to walk in and my Croc flip flips (super light) which I will wear in the afternoons. Is it really necessary to bring sandals on the camino? I'd love to hear from those who have walked the camino in May. Did you use them as back up walking shoes along the camino? or just to walk around in the evenings? Were they needed when blisters came about? If I don't bring sandals, are there places along the camino that sells light walking sandals (quality walking ones)?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, mom,
I think that the key question is whether you can walk around comfortably in Crocs for several hours. I walk in boots and bring Chacos for showers and for walking around in afternoons. My feet wouldn't tolerate Crocs for the afternoons, but that's just because of my feet. If your feet will be happy walking around for several hours in flips, then I think there is no need to bring hiking sandals. But I personallly like the fact that I can use my Chacos for either walking in a real pinch, walking around town, and in the shower.

So, I am trying to plan out my packing list for my feet for my camino next May. I am stuck on whether or not to bring hiking sandals or not. Currently, I have my hiking shoes (Merrills) which I am planning on using every day to walk in and my Croc flip flips (super light) which I will wear in the afternoons. Is it really necessary to bring sandals on the camino? I'd love to hear from those who have walked the camino in May. Did you use them as back up walking shoes along the camino? or just to walk around in the evenings? Were they needed when blisters came about? If I don't bring sandals, are there places along the camino that sells light walking sandals (quality walking ones)?

There are stores in the bigger towns that sell quality hiking sandals if you choose to buy them when you are on the Camino, I used flip flops after walking around the albergue and out in town.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I used Merrill hiking shoes which worked OK (I got some serious blisters) and a pair of flip flops for night and shower time. I do think those who wore socks and sandals (despite the fashion crime) did seem to have less blisters. Based on my experience, 3 pairs of shoes would be too much. Buen Camino!!

My regular Crocs are suitable for walking for several hours with the strap around the heel. The Camino is not a good place to find out new things about your footwear; test footwear at home before leaving! Take a two hour hike in your Crocs with your backpack. If they do not seem like they are suitable as a backup for hiking, take sandals that are. Three pairs is overkill unless the third pair is really light, like shower zori.

Mom:

Hiking shoes (Merrill for me) or boots and they should be well broken in. My second pair are Teva shower shoes which I wear upon arrival at my daily destination. I do not understand the need for a second pair of walking shoes (just extra weight). That said, everyone should bring whatever makes them comfortable.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, mom,
I think that the key question is whether you can walk around comfortably in Crocs for several hours. I walk in boots and bring Chacos for showers and for walking around in afternoons. My feet wouldn't tolerate Crocs for the afternoons, but that's just because of my feet. If your feet will be happy walking around for several hours in flips, then I think there is no need to bring hiking sandals. But I personallly like the fact that I can use my Chacos for either walking in a real pinch, walking around town, and in the shower.

Please, what sort of Chacos do you use? I do not know what they are and had to Google them. I am always looking for the elusive shoe that you can wear in the shower AND wear around town. I too cannot wear crocs so last time I walked in boots, showered in jandals (flip flops) and had very light weight shoes for going out in. Three types of footwear. Not good. I see on the website that Chacos come in all forms. Do you use the sandal type? Or more of a closed in shoe. I don't want to be heading out on the town in wet shoes. If you can tell me more I would appreciate it.

My feet are grateful for a bit of support in the evening, a change from my boots but still with more structure than a flip-flop. I carry joggers for that, my only splurge on weight (my total pack and contents is 7kg). Plus I add some super-light Teva flip-flops for the shower (much lighter than the usual rubber flip-flops).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ģ
I always take boots (If Im cycling read cycling shoes) and a pair of lightweight running shoes. These weigh far less than walking sandals are readonable cool (not yoo warm - you will have to make your own sartorial judgements) and can be got wet etc. You can wear them when out exploring post walk and they make good slippers. Ive tried a variety of crocs / flip flops etc and they are nice in yge showers but wreck your feet if trundling about in the evening or travelling home. Nothing would persuade me yo carry three pairs of shoes. Too heavy.

I've never taken more than 2 pair - one for walking, one for shower/resting.
I usually just pick up a cheap pair of flip flops or Crocs for the evening.
But I don't do a lot of walking once I'm at my destination.

Please, what sort of Chacos do you use? I do not know what they are and had to Google them. I am always looking for the elusive shoe that you can wear in the shower AND wear around town. I too cannot wear crocs so last time I walked in boots, showered in jandals (flip flops) and had very light weight shoes for going out in. Three types of footwear. Not good. I see on the website that Chacos come in all forms. Do you use the sandal type? Or more of a closed in shoe. I don't want to be heading out on the town in wet shoes. If you can tell me more I would appreciate it.

Hi, Carolo, I wear the basic Z1 model. All black. It now comes in pretty colors but I've had these for more than 10 years and that was all they were making back then. For me, the ability to wear them in the shower and around town is the clincher. They are very heavy, as these things go, I think that the two of them weigh as much as a pound and a half. After the shower, the straps are of course wet, but they dry. If it's really cold, I put on socks (very un-cool, I know) and the parts of the socks under the straps will get wet but it's just never been a problem for me. The arch support is very good, which is what I need, so I'm willing to tolerate a wet strap or two. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your input. I think I'll take a look at light walking sandals and pass on the flip flops.

Thank you for your input. I think I'll take a look at light walking sandals and pass on the flip flops.

Albergue showers are used by so many pilgrims and can be an unwanted source of athletes foot, I shower in flip flops, this I learned in the military. Google Xero shoes for some ultra light sandals for showering and walking around the albergue (they have you remove your shoes/boots at the entrance)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Rubbing alcohol on one's feet after a shower dries them and kills bacteria and fungus.

Do pilgrims really carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol and rub alcohol on a daily basis on the Camino? What do you do if you get blisters? I know I wouldn't want to rub my feet in alcohol if I had open sores/cuts. Most people don't disinfect their feet with rubbing alcohol on a daily basis when they are at home.
Flip flops are the lightest form of defense from athletes foot when using public showers, especially those ones that drain real slow and flood up.

A helpful thread, since I was still deciding what pair of alternative shoes to bring. I was going to bring my walking sandels (510g), but then I tried actually hiking in them. Did not work for me, so why bring the weight? I have now settled on a pair of light flip-flops for the shower (158g) plus a pair of Toosbuy shoes for wearing around (210g), for a total of only 368g. The Toosbuy shoes are actually water shoes, but don't look like it. They're way more attractive than Crocs, which I don't find comfortable. They look good with and without socks. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117P7GMQ/?tag=casaivar02-20. I wear a size 10 normally, and bought European size 42. I can always ditch the flip-flops if I need to.

I know I wouldn't want to rub my feet in alcohol if I had open sores/cuts.
All the blister treatments sting! Yes, I use rubbing alcohol when I take of my socks during the day to dry them. I then reapply my foot lubricant.

I have never had a blister.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And yes......crazy as it may be....I brought 4 pairs of shoes and will do so again next Camino !!!! Not one blister the entire Camino so it was worth it. Keen Marshall hiking shoes for the first 15/18 km every day, then switched to my cheap ($39) bass pro brand hiking sandals (wore them with medium thick Thorlo hiking socks) for the last 10 km. (I walked in May and had great weather, barely any rain so open shoes were no problem) I did bring a pair of NB trail runners that I wore only a few days. And last...my Teva flip flops for the evenings. Now the "blister free Camino " I truly believe was possible due to the above routine AND pre taping my week spots (heels and little toes) with Leukotape every single day ! The Leukotape I ordered on Amazon. I stilll use it for my hikes here back in the USA and never have a blister. Obviously I broke in my shoes thoroughly.
Ps my total pack weight was 18 lbs including water and 4 pairs of shoes.
12066013_10207542421779554_1225499933108464039_n.jpg

Last edited:
I brought 3 pairs of shoes as well and used them all for my May/June Camino Frances from St. Jean to Santiago. I walked primarily in my Keen shoes but used my Keen walking sandals (yes, with socks!) for walking on some of the really hot days. I used my flip flops (super light nothings) for the shower and albergues. The only blister I got was when I walked around the village too much in my flip flops instead of switching to my sandals.....ahhh, self inflicted wounds. I walked with a 28 litre pack so it was pretty light and space was at a premium but having the shoe options was great for my feet. But, having said all that, this May was very hot and I get hot easily so having the slightly cooler option for hiking really made the difference some days.

I brought 3 pairs of shoes as well and used them all for my May/June Camino Frances from St. Jean to Santiago. I walked primarily in my Keen shoes but used my Keen walking sandals (yes, with socks!) for walking on some of the really hot days. I used my flip flops (super light nothings) for the shower and albergues. The only blister I got was when I walked around the village too much in my flip flops instead of switching to my sandals.....ahhh, self inflicted wounds. I walked with a 28 litre pack so it was pretty light and space was at a premium but having the shoe options was great for my feet. But, having said all that, this May was very hot and I get hot easily so having the slightly cooler option for hiking really made the difference some days.
It was very hot indeed. I walked the same period as you Sheila and loved my sandals. I figured while packing "If I end up not using something I toss it" Well I used all my shoes :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have seen people as far away as Burgos in crocs, as they started out i SJPdP in new boots with either stiff boots not walked in or with improper socks (cotton). Their boots were dangling from their rucksacks and they were hurting. Big time..
So firstly: know your boots from adversity - train well, have your score of blisters at home..
Secondly, have light sandals for when you reach your lodgings.
I dared to start from home with only my boots and bought a pair of flip flops rightaway in Spain, to roam around town and for the shower.
Next ; - woolen socks in right quality, have two pairs of socks, to change every hour and let them dry from the netting on your rucksack...
Have flipflops for shower and town shopping, your feet will enjoy the freedom...

Last edited:
Just returned from the camino last Wednesday and I brought only the Altra trail runners that I hiked in and one super thin pair of flip flops for showering. Never had a blister and my pack was nice and light :) If I was only walking a bit at night I'd keep the flip flops on after showering, but if longer walking was going to happen I'd put back on the trail runners.

For the record I saw a TON of hiking boots strapped to packs!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I brought Keen hiking boots, (seriously extra wide toe box - no baby toe rubbing for me) expensive hiking sandals (the brand name escapes me) and flip flops. I wore the hiking boots every day and one day decided to wear my sandals and socks as we were doing a very steep 'down' that day and I read that wearing sandals on these types of days would save my toes. I was only in a few kms and found my feet were sliding around a lot in the sandals, even though I had my socks on and my sandals were tight enough, and it made me feel unstable so I put my boots back on. I never used the hiking sandals again, and just wore my flip flops for the shower and hoofing around town in the evenings and on rest days. I had two blisters on my toes on about day four, even though I used Glide on my feet and wore double-lined socks. After my fiancé drained them, we made sure to stop every two hours, every day after, and took our socks and boots off to air and dry our feet out. Sometimes we'd put on the same socks and other times dry ones.

Albergue showers are used by so many pilgrims and can be an unwanted source of athletes foot, I shower in flip flops, this I learned in the military. Google Xero shoes for some ultra light sandals for showering and walking around the albergue (they have you remove your shoes/boots at the entrance)
Xero now has an even lighter weight trail sandal, that comes in at about 11 ounces or 311 grams
http://xeroshoes.com/shop/ready-to-wear-barefoot-sandals/ztrail-women/
I've just ordered a pair. I'll let you know how I like them.

Dollar Store flip flops to use in the shower are so light the weight is really negligible. If you've narrowed your packing choices to just the essentials, a few ounces for peace of mind is more than worth it. Even if you take no other pair of shoes beyond your walking shoes, take some shower shoes, IMHO. For the record, I take trail runners, walking Tevas, and shower flip flops.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.