• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Questions about Hiking from Leon to O’Cebriero

TooManyRiceCakes

Time of past OR future Camino
really want that certificate!
Hello again

I will be hiking form Leon to O’Cebriero from the 11th-17 this month (that is really soon ack!) and I have a few last minute questions:

1)
Timing and arriving at the albergues: how much should I stress, if at all?

I have heard from several people that you have to get to the albergue by 3pm at the latest to secure a bed, and I have heard from some saying it’s not a problem. Have you guys experienced full albergues in this stage of the trail around this time? I would love to walk into a village around the sunset hour once…I just love how golden the world likes at that time.

2)
Should I have a very set plan of all the towns I walk through and when? Or should I just print out a map and figure it out as I walk?

3)
Ending my hike and coming back to Madrid:
my bus from the station 3km from O’Cebriero leaves at 1:30pm on the 17th. Should I plan to walk into the village the same day I leave? I hear there is a big difficult hilly stretch before reaching O’Cebriero.

Thank you!
Kate

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can only remember a few times that I arrived after 3 pm. I was usually done walking by 1:00 or 2:00. This gave me enough time to shower and wash my clothes in time for them to dry. I think that the sunset hour is better spent over a beer or glass of tinto de verano with my fellow pilgrims.
I would definitely want more time in O Cebreiro, and would plan to spend the night there before the bus ride.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked May 24-June11 , 2016 from Leon to SdC. I start 7am but walk slowly. Nearly every albergue I saw was completo by 4pm Made reservations after Virgen; albergue wanted a courtesy call by 4pm to hold the bed. Checked in first of a group of 4 and Barbadelo wanted me to pay for all 4 and collect from my tardy Camino Family. I am okay with all of that, but it was a different style from my 2005 Camino where I just walked until tired and found a bed (last bed in Roncevalles and OCebreiro, overflow in Hornillos)
Plan but be flexible!!

Beware the "bubble". Over the years I've become convinced that some folks can experience "no problem ever" and "always completo" all within days of each other. Some of this has to do with Brierley and other guide book "stages" that tend to focus pilgrims into certain locations. But I suspect that some of this is also due to the "bubble effect" of people starting at convenient locations on convenient days and walking approximately the same distances. You'd sure think that things would even out with people walking different paces, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
In May/June 2017 I had a friend 2 days ahead of us that was walking in crowds and competing for beds while we walked alone and had albergues with 50% capacity. It was all very strange. So my advice is to feel it out. You may find that lagging behind by a day gets you out of a pilgrim bubble and alone on the Way.

Currently on that stage now and getting a bed every time even when arriving late afternoon. HOWEVER, it may be a top bunk or at your second choice albergue! Also, the “wave” or “bubble theory is 100% true - plenty of pilgrims around us stating that all the beds were gone on a previous night but we must be between those crowds.

PS: sunset is currently around 9:30pm, so while your idea of entering town at sunset sounds nice, it’s not practical and many places won’t take new guests at such a late hour. How about simply strolling around town at sunset?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back