• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 shoes too much?

Cmoreau

Time of past OR future Camino
July 21 to -aug10
How many shoes an you bring. I was just going to bring my Ecco sandals and Merrill hiking shoes but then I bought a much needed pair of expensive Aric's, runners that are solo comfortable. What pair do I not take or can I take all 3. I can wear the hikers and carry the other 2 mostly?. Any ideas. I leave tomorrow!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I normally take walking shoes, light sandals for the evening and very basic flip flops for the shower. I debated bringing running shoes on my first Camino, but decided against it as they added extra weight. I didn't regret this - especially as my feet swell in the heat and my much loved Asics wouldn't have been as comfortable as they are at home.

I suspect you were happy with the Eccos and Merrills until you bought your new shoes - so maybe you're thinking of bringing them 'just in case'? It's up to you, but IMO it's often a good idea to leave the 'just in case' items at home.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take everything you are willing to carry. Donation boxes are filled with abandoned extra footwear! If you find you are carrying too much, are you willing to throw away one pair of the shoes? If not, leave them behind. ;)

I wore my Merrells everyday to walk in, and had a pair of Teva sandals for wearing around the albergue, etc. They could have easily done double-duty as shower shoes, but instead I bought the cheapest pair of rubber flip-flop sandals I could find to do that. They weighed nothing. Rode in an outer pocket on my pack and if they blew-out or I lost them, no big deal as they only cost two dollars. Upon reaching Santiago they went into a trash bin, having served their duty well.
I wouldn't bring two pairs of walking shoes. No need.

I wore my Merrells everyday to walk in, and had a pair of Teva sandals for wearing around the albergue, etc. They could have easily done double-duty as shower shoes, but instead I bought the cheapest pair of rubber flip-flop sandals I could find to do that. They weighed nothing. Rode in an outer pocket on my pack and if they blew-out or I lost them, no big deal as they only cost two dollars. Upon reaching Santiago they went into a trash bin, having served their duty well.
I wouldn't bring two pairs of walking shoes. No need.
I agree. While I could wear my tevas in the shower, I didn't like walking around in them afterwards while wet. Since you mentioned the new runners were expensive, I would leave them home. I have found to only take what you will use, and be prepared to be willing to leave any "just in case" items in the donation box.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The merrells are very strong and a hiking boot. The other is a super comfortable running shoe. I will be hotter but will have a solid strong footing with the merills. do I leave the runners behind or the hiking boots

Either one would work. I did my first camino in a pair in a pair of adidas road runners. They were nice and light, cool. My problem was I felt the sole was too thin, and at times I could feel rocks etc under my feet. I now prefer a trail runner one that has a thicker/sturdier sole. Have you done a few longs walks in both?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMHO..... The hiking shoes...........plus something to wear when you stop hiking! That's it ;) Second pair should be something you can comfortably walk around town in. Your feet need a break from the hiking shoes.

The merrells are very strong and a hiking boot. The other is a super comfortable running shoe. I will be hotter but will have a solid strong footing with the merills. do I leave the runners behind or the hiking boots
On both Caminos the Merrells I wore were of the shoe variety, and non-waterproof. They are marketed as a hiking shoe, but somewhat resemble a trail runner. Running shoes are more than adequate on the Camino, especially in hot weather, and even better of they have a trail sole. If those Merrells you have are of the heavy, waterproof boot variety, leave them at home. Besides, quite a bit of the walking you do will be on improved surfaces like blacktop and concrete.

On both Caminos the Merrells I wore were of the shoe variety, and non-waterproof. They are marketed as a hiking shoe, but somewhat resemble a trail runner. Running shoes are more than adequate on the Camino, especially in hot weather, and even better of they have a trail sole. If those Merrells you have are of the heavy, waterproof boot variety, leave them at home. Besides, quite a bit of the walking you do will be on improved surfaces like blacktop and concrete.

Opinions on footwear are as varied as back packs :) And everything else Camino related!

If I had not worn boots on my Camino I would have twisted my ankle on at least two occasions....and the overall lack of support and cushioning would have seen me in a lot more pain.

Shoes would be OK on the last 100 kms. No problem. But IMHO not all the way from St Jean. Don't think I saw anyone walking 'long' that just wore shoes ..... maybe the odd day here and there for a break.

The 'improved' surfaces like black top and concrete were for me the worst surfaces to walk on. The lack of cushioning really takes a toll on the legs and joints. Everyone I saw walking would try to walk on any surface other than those, even if it was a 3 inch wide strip of grass next to the road ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, we are all different. I'd leave the hiking shoes behind. But if you can't decide take all three pairs and post a pair to Ivar once you have worked out what suits you.

Opinions on footwear are as varied as back packs :) And everything else Camino related!

If I had not worn boots on my Camino I would have twisted my ankle on at least two occasions....and the overall lack of support and cushioning would have seen me in a lot more pain.

Shoes would be OK on the last 100 kms. No problem. But IMHO not all the way from St Jean. Don't think I saw anyone walking 'long' that just wore shoes ..... maybe the odd day here and there for a break.

The 'improved' surfaces like black top and concrete were for me the worst surfaces to walk on. The lack of cushioning really takes a toll on the legs and joints. Everyone I saw walking would try to walk on any surface other than those, even if it was a 3 inch wide strip of grass next to the road ;)
These are the two models of Merrell shoes I wore on my Caminos (SJPdP to SDC). Neither of the waterproof variety. The one on the left are the Moabs and on the right the Yokotas. Walked anywhere from 15-32 kilometers a day depending on my mood. Had almost no blisters (just a couple on the tips of the small toes), no shin splints, no ankle twists, etc. Did have sore knees, but I attribute that to being in my 50's. Glad I brought my 500 mg aspirin tablets with me.
I did put in better, aftermarket insoles in the shoes prior to walking the Caminos, but kept the original insoles in my pack as backups.
102976_366_45.jpg original.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, we are all different. I'd leave the hiking shoes behind. But if you can't decide take all three pairs and post a pair to Ivar once you have worked out what suits you.

We are all victims of our own experiences unfortunately :) (Unless we have tried every type of footwear in every condition)

I walked most on sandals! Good strong walking sandals. When I felt soreness in my feet I changed into a pair of light running shoes. For me this was a perfect solution as I get blisters very easily and in the hot weather I would have been suffering. Many people though that I was mad to walk in sandals (many of them with bad blisters), but I was delighted with them. For the evening and the shower I had a pair of flip flops.

How many shoes an you bring. I was just going to bring my Ecco sandals and Merrill hiking shoes but then I bought a much needed pair of expensive Aric's, runners that are solo comfortable. What pair do I not take or can I take all 3. I can wear the hikers and carry the other 2 mostly?. Any ideas. I leave tomorrow!!!
I wear my trekking shoes and carry Crocks for evening walking and showers. That's it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm aiming for early spring. Are runners with mesh tops warm enough for St Jean to Roncesvalles if there's snow?

My first two Caminos I walked in boots. The next few in runners. This year for the Norte I took runners and sandals. I wore the runners for a few days then walked the rest of the route in sandals. Next year I won't be taking anything but sandals. And yes, I've walked the Le Puy and Frances in early spring in mesh top runners. My feet did get cold in snow, but I preferred that to wearing boots. Now I have sealskinz (waterproof) socks to wear with my sandals on the odd occasion it is really cold and wet. They work for me.

I'm aiming for early spring. Are runners with mesh tops warm enough for St Jean to Roncesvalles if there's snow?
You could take a pair of waterproof socks, when I walked in November 2010 a guy was walking in sandals and the brand sealskinz socks, they were waterproof and had insulation qualities.

Oops Kanga beat me to it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The sealskinz socks are expensive so better to try before you buy. Be warned, they are bulky; fine in sandals, not sure how they'd be in shoes.

Hi there,

I'll take my hiking boots + very light running shoes for the evenings + flipflops for showers / albuerges.
I considered taking outdoor sandals but I think they may be too open for late September and early October weather in Galicia.
But basically and in warmer climate I'd only take the hiking boots + the outdoor sandals.

Best wishes,
Volker

Thanks Kanga and Mike. I only want to take 1 day pair and much prefer runners so this advice is a big help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a lady friend who has great difficulty deciding what shoes to wear. Is yours a similar problem?? :) A nice pair of heels for the evenings perhaps? :))

I would never take 3 pair of shoes.
Wear the runners and choose 1 pair of sandals.
No heels - you'll never wear them.
And those Spanish women wearing heels on cobblestone have had a lifetime of experience.
It's a good way to break an ankle if you're not used to the stones, imo.

These are the two models of Merrell shoes I wore on my Caminos (SJPdP to SDC). Neither of the waterproof variety. The one on the left are the Moabs and on the right the Yokotas. Walked anywhere from 15-32 kilometers a day depending on my mood. Had almost no blisters (just a couple on the tips of the small toes), no shin splints, no ankle twists, etc. Did have sore knees, but I attribute that to being in my 50's. Glad I brought my 500 mg aspirin tablets with me.
I did put in better, aftermarket insoles in the shoes prior to walking the Caminos, but kept the original insoles in my pack as backups.
View attachment 19956View attachment 19957
I'm on my 3rd pair of Moabs and although shoes are like religion everyone needs to find what works for them. But I will say you will see more pairs of moabs on the camino then others. Just finished 550 miles of the Camino Frances and Invieno at 67. No blisters or other foot problems I wear a size 11 shoe but 13 hiking.
My second pair I carried was the lightest flip-flops I could find.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used Altras trail runners for the walk and flip flops for at night. There were sections that were very rocky where hiking boots would have been good but not sure they would have been the worth the extra weight to carry

I bring a pair of Vasquez Trail shoes and a pair of steady 7oz. plastic slippers/ lounging/bathroom shoes. If we eat where we are staying, I often wear them to supper too! The decision is really yours and how much you want to carry.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.