• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 simple questions: Lock, sleeping bag/liner, PJs

Turning48

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike The Camino May/June 2017
Hi - I will be arriving mid-May starting my hike at SJPP. I think I have many of the basics down for very light travel bag, but I'm still debating on 3 things:

1) Should I do a sleeping liner or bag? I know this has been covered a bunch of times for various months, but I'd love someone to confirm a sleeping liner will serve me well. :)

2) For sleeping at night, I have a cotton nightdress - it has straps and the length falls like I'm wearing a pair of shorts. It is the most light weight sleeping outfit I currently own (so no need to buy anything) and I thought it would be easy to also put on after a shower, but I'm not sure if a nightdress (kind of like a sundress) is inappropriate? Thoughts?

3) How concerned should I be leaving my backpack at the auberges if I decide to depart into town for a bite to eat? I would take my passport and $$ with me, but the bag, and hiking boots I'd prefer to leave behind. Do I need a lock of any kind? Thoughts?

Thank you to everyone for your useful tips in helping me prepare. And apologies, in advance, if I didn't scour the site fully enough to find these answers.

xL

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nightie is a no no for me. Climbing up into top bunks everyone will see your panties / butt. Best solution for night wear is some kind of reduced fresh-on version of your day wear, like a t shirt / singlet and little boy short underpants. I love the seamless hipsters from Pure Lime. Pure comfort! You can then leap out of bed and pull on your clothes and be out the door.

I have always left boots and backpack with non valuables in the albergue with no locks in villages and small towns. I've used a locker where one was available which is more important in cities.

Sleeping bag vs liner I always carry both, and a pillow case, but my sleeping bag is only a half kilo down superlight one. I feel vulnerable without any sleeping bag, even in hot weather.

Last edited:
Hi - I will be arriving mid-May starting my hike at SJPP. I think I have many of the basics down for very light travel bag, but I'm still debating on 3 things:

1) Should I do a sleeping liner or bag? I know this has been covered a bunch of times for various months, but I'd love someone to confirm a sleeping liner will serve me well. :)

2) For sleeping at night, I have a cotton nightdress - it has straps and the length falls like I'm wearing a pair of shorts. It is the most light weight sleeping outfit I currently own (so no need to buy anything) and I thought it would be easy to also put on after a shower, but I'm not sure if a nightdress is inappropriate? Thoughts?

3) How concerned should I be leaving my backpack at the auberges if I decide to depart into town for a bite to eat? I would take my passport and $$ with me, but the bag, and hiking boots I'd prefer to leave behind. Do I need a lock of any kind? Thoughts?

Thank you to everyone for your useful tips in helping me prepare. And apologies, in advance, if I didn't scour the site fully enough to find these answers.

xL
It will likely be warm but I also like the comfort of a super light sleeping bag and carry a pillow case. That way I'm pretty confident of a good night's sleep. Many people carry just a liner and seem to be fine. Oh and earplugs. Definitely earplugs.
I keep valuables close to me all the time and have left boots and packs in albergues without any problems.
It's a personal choice but you might like to consider nightwear that doubles up as outdoor clothing if needed, like leggings, light tracksuit bottoms, shorts, t-shirts etc- all helps towards a lighter, smaller pack.
Have a great Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi

1) I always carry a very lightweight sleeping bag at all times of the year. May can be chilly and not all albergues have blankets. My very small microfibre towel (which has dried between shower and bed time) covers my pillow;

2) A nightdress is totally inappropriate in a dormitory (others may disagree); it is provocative (in my opinion) and impractical. I wear tomorrow’s (clean) hiking top and light pyjama bottoms.

3) No need for a lock. Most places you have to leave your boots on the shelf at the door (tie the laces together), and don’t leave anything valuable in your pack.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Jill

Sleeping bag liner or sleeping bag is all dependent on how cold you sleep, and you could actually just carry a liner and wear a fleece pullover if you get cold. For me, keeping my torso warm is most important. I'm a proponent of Camino gear multi tasking. The fleece pullover also acts like an insulating layer for sleep in addition to keeping me warm otherwise. You could carry a pair of light base layer synthetic long bottoms for your legs if you get cold at night. Either way, the fleece top and the base layer bottoms multi task. Also, in my experience a lot of the albergues had blankets and I used them.
If you do decide on a sleeping bag, I don't recommend hauling around one that weighs more than 1-1/2 pounds.
No need for PJ's to sleep in, in the albergues and I can't say I really saw any pilgrims wearing any. In Portomarin I did see one guy wearing silk looking pajamas, slippers and one of those silk looking robes walking around the sleeping quarters of the big albergue there. I had to look away from him because I would start laughing. I mean, who wears that stuff?
No need for a lock for your backpack. Just never, ever, never leave your money, passport, credit cards or expensive electronics in it unattended.
ultreia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, goodness! I didn't even think about climbing up a bunk bed and the poor souls who could witness my bottom! Thank you both for your kind answers to all of my questions. I will follow your leads.
I don't CARE if anyone sees my undies. You'll often be sharing space with men - underwear will be seen. In fact, my black tech sports bra and Patagonia underwear often double as bathing suit. Shrug.

I carry a black cotton T shirt dress. I have had it on every Camino. I hate sleeping in anything synthetic and I can also wear it to dinner. Don't carry anything that cannot work as something else. A sun dress that is comfy enough for a nightie is fine, but a nightie you can't run around town in is a burden. Many, many people just sleep in the next day's hiking clothes. Saves time and effort. But for me it is such a relief to be out of the synthetic stuff for a while.

Carry your wallet/passport with you everywhere - but don't worry about your pack unless you have encountered some reason to be (I have heard about shifty people hanging around in the albuergues in bigger cities but never had an issue myself).

I carry my sleeping bag (featherweight) and a silk liner. Both soaked in permethryn. Even if it is too warm for the bag I feel better sleeping on top of it. I use the liner to wrap around my shoulders or to cover the provided pillow/head of the bed.
Use your sleeping bag stuff sack for a pillow (stuffed with your clothing).
You can also buy (for about 15$) a bath towel that is also a sort of sundress that you could sleep in. Trouble is my towel is usually drying over night as I take my showers in the evening.

Hi

1) I always carry a very lightweight sleeping bag at all times of the year. May can be chilly and not all albergues have blankets. My very small microfibre towel (which has dried between shower and bed time) covers my pillow;

2) A nightdress is totally inappropriate in a dormitory (others may disagree); it is provocative (in my opinion) and impractical. I wear tomorrow’s (clean) hiking top and light pyjama bottoms.

3) No need for a lock. Most places you have to leave your boots on the shelf at the door (tie the laces together), and don’t leave anything valuable in your pack.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Jill
Provocative? I see men in auberges walking around naked and in tiny thong type underwear. I am not going to trouble myself with how "provocative" my sleeping attire might be to some peregrino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also it should be noted that whether a sleeping bag or just a bag liner is better is all dependent on the unpredictable....the weather in northern Spain. I know the OP is walking her Camino in May-June, but when I last walked it in July-August it was so warm, there was no way I would have needed an actual, proper sleeping bag one single night on it. Half the time it was so warm in the albergues I slept on top of the bag liner I carried and not in it.
Just something to keep in mind to everyone planning a Camino.

Turning48, I froze in Roncesvalles in later May last year when it was sleeting and hailing from before the Col de Lepoeder the whole way down to Roncesvalles. Because at that point I only had a liner (didn't bring my bag because many said a liner would be fine) and didn't realize that the desk sold bags, I ended up sleeping in every item of clothing I had including my fleece to stay warm (was sick to boot). Roncesvalles doesn't provide blankets. Even at albergues in the mountains that are colder at night where they DO provide (sometimes kind of grubby.....) blankets, it's a real comfort to crawl into your own bag at night. Mine from the first Camino is very lightweight and was very inexpensive.

I saw only a couple of women wearing nightie-like things at albergues, and I would not have wanted to be one of them among a dorm full of men from all over the world. There was only one albergue in Carrion de Los Condes with a separate women's dorm, although some others like Casa Magica in Villatuerta tried to put women traveling alone or with other women in one room if the numbers worked out. You'll see guys in old Speedos or only wearing briefs or boxers, which can be a little odd the first time for non-Europeans, but which quickly becomes irrelevant. I wore the top I was going to hike in the next day (most people shower and do laundry first thing on getting to the albergue) to sleep in and took some comfy lightweight pajama bottoms.

I took ANYTHING anyone could possibly want with me in a featherweight back sack in the evenings, and then didn't worry about the backpack. I tied my shoes with the piece of fabric that I tie to my backpack for baggage claim recognition so that nobody takes my shoes by mistake thinking they're theirs. Have seen a couple of people lose their hiking shoes that way, which was really irritating for them. Buen Camino!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Such great advice and tips from everyone. Thank you. I decided to take a sleeping bag and ordered the Marmot Nanowave 55 from REI. It's priced well and I think will do the trick while remaining reasonably lightweight. I also like the idea of sleeping in my outfits - so far, I have 2 t-shirts, 2 zippered hiking pants, a fleece, raincoat, 2 pairs of socks, and maybe 1 long sleeve, besides my minimal undergarments and bare essential others. Whatever else I need, I will buy.

@Kris53 - Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope our paths cross. (P.S. I'm not Jill, though.)

@HighlandsHiker - I am hoping for no snow on this trip, but I realize that is a definite possibility; your note confirmed what was really on my mind - what are the chances of snow in which case I would most definitely want a sleeping bag. I plan to monitor the weather so, should the worst happen, I will just delay my trip in SJPP and enjoy life. Thanks for your insights!

xx

Last edited:
If one is concerned about their shoes/boots being pinched, simply remove the insoles and put them in an outside or inside pocket of your pack. I would highly doubt anyone wants to steal shoes/boots without the insoles. The insoles should be washed from time to time anyway, to help alleviate any foot funk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Speaking of things lingerie, does anyone have any suggestions about quick drying underwear and a comfortable supportive bra?
I brought a pair of ExOfficio underwear, and a couple pair of cheapie wicking underwear by Hanes or Fruit of the Loom. They all dried quick enough. As far as a bra goes, just wear what you find comfortable. I would avoid a sports bra that you have to pull on over your head, as it can be hard to do in a tiny shower cubicle when you aren't fully dry.

And as far as sleeping wear, there were plenty of men walking about in their skimpy skivvies. One night the woman in the bunk next to mine came in after lights were out, but moonlight was coming in the window, and stripped down to her thong underwear and bra before climbing into the top bunk. You learn to just not "see" anything.

I always bring a small travel lock in case albergues have lockers. It weighs little next to nothing and allows me to leave my stuff out of the way, and safer that just on the floor, but this does not mean I don't still carry passport, money, credit cards and electronics.

For bedtime, you see all sorts. Some sleep in a camisole or sports bra with boxer shorts. I have taken pjs or have worn my leggings and long sleeve T to bed. Some people get up in the morning, grab their clothes and get dressed in the bathroom (what I do), others will get dressed on their bed whole trying to be discreat. Others don't get and change in full view of others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's a personal choice but you might like to consider nightwear that doubles up as outdoor clothing if needed, like leggings, light tracksuit bottoms, shorts, t-shirts etc- all helps towards a lighter, smaller pack.

I did that in my Camino Frances and will do again in the Portugues! I had my 2 walking tshirts and pants, plus a very light 3rd t-shirt and shorts that I only used for sleeping (as I love to sleep in clean clothes). But they could double as walking clothes if it got too hot, too cold or too wet!

Speaking of things lingerie, does anyone have any suggestions about quick drying underwear and a comfortable supportive bra?
Sue, I'm not sure if you're from the States, but if you are and you don't mind getting things from Walmart, they sell some great Fruit of the Loom Breathable Mesh underwear that are Quick-Dry. Very comfy. For bras, I just take those stretch bras that are soft and can be pulled overhead - they're quick-dry too. Another thing I do to save having to do laundry right at the beginning is I wear an old, decrepit set of underwear that's ready to be pitched, and maybe take another set for the day transiting to the camino, and then I leave them in the garbage can wherever I'm staying. Maybe TMI, but it really helps not to have to wash and dry things in a hotel room right away on the first day or two.

Perhaps my greatest fear is that some morning befuddled pilgrim will walk off with my shoes , or perhaps might ' go shopping ' for a size larger . After the months of fiddling with them and their foot beds to break them in I simply can't leave without a small lock and fine steel cable to secure them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such great advice and tips from everyone. Thank you. I decided to take a sleeping bag and ordered the Marmot Nanowave 55 from REI. It's priced well and I think will do the trick while remaining reasonably lightweight. I also like the idea of sleeping in my outfits - so far, I have 2 t-shirts, 2 zippered hiking pants, a fleece, raincoat, 2 pairs of socks, and maybe 1 long sleeve, besides my minimal undergarments and bare essential others. Whatever else I need, I will buy.

@Kris53 - Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope our paths cross. (P.S. I'm not Jill, though.)

@HighlandsHiker - I am hoping for no snow on this trip, but I realize that is a definite possibility; your note confirmed what was really on my mind - what are the chances of snow in which case I would most definitely want a sleeping bag. I plan to monitor the weather so, should the worst happen, I will just delay my trip in SJPP and enjoy life. Thanks for your insights!

xx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Indeed! All I have is cotton and I don't want to spend a lot of money...it doesn't have to be the high tech "chunk o change" variety. Just so it dries overnight! :)
Sue - you'll laugh when you see the Camino way of drying clothes. Especially if the humidity is high from rain, if your albergue doesn't have a dryer sometimes it's really hard to get especially cotton to dry overnight by air-drying. What people do then is use safety pins and tack damp things to their backpack to air dry the next day whilst walking. If it's still raining the next day, if you roll your half-damp clothes up in a bag to hike, then air dry them a second night at the next albergue, they always finish drying. Another thing people do in crowded albergues is to throw their clothes into the dryer together, since most people aren't doing all that much laundry each night.

Indeed! All I have is cotton and I don't want to spend a lot of money...it doesn't have to be the high tech "chunk o change" variety. Just so it dries overnight! :)
Yeah, non-cotton the way to go and I have found the tech type synthetics to dry fast. As suggested on another post, the dark colors are preferable as your clothes never really get all that clean hand washing them, but honestly it's only for a month and not that big a deal.
Another reason I go for the less expensive brands of tech underwear, socks, and t-shirts is because I throw most of them away before I leave Santiago at the end. They're are stretched out from hand washing anyway. Not worth keeping, and it reduces even more the size and weight of my backpack which I carry-on for the flights home. Used underwear, socks and cheap rubber sandals all go in the trash bin as well as any soap, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. Really makes a difference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, goodness! I didn't even think about climbing up a bunkbed and the poor souls who could witness my bottom! Thank you both for your kind answers to all of my questions. I will follow your leads.
It's not the fact of showing your bum to anyone, just have a thought about giving old blokes like me a heart attack!! - only joking!!! but I agree with notion900, after a while the sight of people in various states of attire becomes the norm, after walking all day you just want to put your feet up, rest and have something to eat. I will be on the Way in May also, the same time as the last, the weather was great, so fingers crossed it will be the same, have a wonderful Camino and the best advice I can give is, do not rush it, it's not a race, keep a journal or take photos so in years to come you will have something to look back on. Buen Camino

2) For sleeping at night, I have a cotton nightdress - it has straps and the length falls like I'm wearing a pair of shorts. It is the most light weight sleeping outfit I currently own (so no need to buy anything) and I thought it would be easy to also put on after a shower, but I'm not sure if a nightdress (kind of like a sundress) is inappropriate? Thoughts?

xL
Hi
I can only speak for myself

I used to carry a sleeping bag liner on my first stage of the first camino. I felt it was useless dead weight in my backpack and left it after a few days in an albergue. It always slipped down in my sleeping bag.

Instead of a pajama I used a pair of underpants and the clean new T-shirt I would wear the next day (I had three Tees with me). BTW make sure at least one T has long sleeves (More against sunburns rather than to keep you warm). Underwear and Tees are synthetic, quickdrying from sport department store - but not expensive ones

Backpack in Hostel/Albergue: Many hostels on the CF have lockers (not so on the Camino Ingles, and not commonly at the Camino Norte). I would not leave money, passport or valuables in backpack, But you do not need to leave the hostel and pickpockets can go through your belongings whilst you are having a meal.
I did not carry or need a lock, and I did not get pickpocketed

Hopefully you will stay safe
Buen Camino
KajView attachment 32639 View attachment 32639

Attachments

• caMINO3.jpg
    caMINO3.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 17
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Travel lock, light sleeping bag, running shorts/cotton t (dries almost as fast as synthetic, if lightweight) in warm weather and light long johns in cold weather.

No Nightie. You would get attention you may not want.

I found that the albergues/hostels that provided lockers also provided locks. Usually you needed a Euro coin to use the locker, which is returned to you.

Breathable nylon for panties--whichever cut you like, Ex Officio is good but not the only model of nylon mesh panty out there--and for the bra, just make sure the straps are not lumpy under the pack strap. If you find a deep red mark on your shoulder after the first day's walking, you have the wrong bra. Go without rather than get a pressure sore! (Been there, done that. Free boobing across all of northern Spain is not something so comfortable that I would ever want to repeat it either. But it beats getting actual wounds under the straps.) Yoga type bras have worked for me, even though the ones I had came with tubular Y-straps, the strap of the bra was not under the strap of the backpack.

Your "tomorrow" top and britches should be comfortable enough to sleep in...I always left off the socks until morning so they'd at least start out dry and fresh. A single-purpose "nightie" is just excess weight. An actual dress, like the wool knit tank dresses from Icebreaker, that is lightweight and not confining, counts as dual purpose clothes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a silk liner last year. Late April - early June. Weighs next to nothing. Packs down tiny.
I used albergue blankets maybe 4 times. And slept on top of the liner instead of in it probably half the time.
After carelessly leaving my safety travel thingy with my passport and bank cards in it at the previous nights albergue i decided to sleep in my cargo shorts with the valuables in the side pocket. Not ideal, but it meant they were always with me.
It didn't worry me at all leaving my bag in albergues when i went out. You will see loads of rucksacks left unattended outside not yet open albergues while the owners have wandered off.
You could if you wanted take a cheap combination bike lock. Lock your rucksack to your bed. It would probably be enough to deter an opportunist thief wanting a quick getaway.

Never leave passports, bank cards, money etc unattended. Chances are nothing will happen, but why take the risk.

1) Should I do a sleeping liner or bag?
In May, absolutely. I've frozen my butt off in June.

2) For sleeping at night,
I would just wear underwear and a teeshirt

3) How concerned should I be leaving my backpack
No to the lock. As long as you don't leave anything behind that you couldn't easily replace, I wouldn't worry.
I often leave my pack at the albergue, and just take my money, passport, and any electronics.
So far I've been lucky, although I DO know of people who've had their packs rifled through.

Looking at this thread, it got me to thinking, I haven't owned or worn a pair of pajamas since I was about twelve years old. I don't even know if they sell them anymore for adult males. Never crossed my mind to bring specific sleeping attire to walk the Camino. Maybe it's a guy thing?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always bring a small travel lock in case albergues have lockers. It weighs little next to nothing and allows me to leave my stuff out of the way, and safer that just on the floor, but this does not mean I don't still carry passport, money, credit cards and electronics.

For bedtime, you see all sorts. Some sleep in a camisole or sports bra with boxer shorts. I have taken pjs or have worn my leggings and long sleeve T to bed. Some people get up in the morning, grab their clothes and get dressed in the bathroom (what I do), others will get dressed on their bed whole trying to be discreat. Others don't get and change in full view of others.

A body is a body - everyone has one. Europeans are generally more blase' about the whole thing.

To sleep in, to wear after my shower, to wear to town if warm out, to wear under my pants (the shorts) or an extra top layer - a caftan and light weight shorts. The caftan is cut to just below knee length. You can also undress and dress under it for modesty.

Last edited:
I found that the albergues/hostels that provided lockers also provided locks. Usually you needed a Euro coin to use the locker, which is returned to you.
Have yet to see one who lends locks. Have seen them sell them, such as at Bella Muxia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have yet to see one who lends locks. Have seen them sell them, such as at Bella Muxia.
Really? The albergue in Roncesvalles has lockers with locks for a one euro deposit, and there were several others I remember; La Mochila in Itero de la Vega, Albergue Pereiro in Melide, and Hostel León.

A wise lady i spoke to, suggested black underwear as it is more forgiving when hand washed and doesn't show the grime!!
Not only a wise lady - a wise pilgrim and an idea that ALL can aspire to. My ex-officio briefs are black but I have both white & black singlets - I usually sleep in the black one. As for "averting the eyes" - you will be surprised how soon you become blind to the dress state of fellow pilgrims. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A body is a body - everyone has one. Europeans are generally more blase' about the whole thing.
Very true, but there are many Americans around, and they are more modest. Here in London everyone strips naked in single sex communal changing rooms, but people are reasonably modest in front of people of the opposite gender.

On camino, I think it's particularly important not to be seen to be trying to look 'alluring' in the dorm, ie lacy nighties, sexy mesh bras, brazilian knickers and whatnot. Sporty is much more comfortable and appropriate. No one is trying to ogle, but some things will draw the eye of the guys and embarrass people.

Very true, but there are many Americans around, and they are more modest. Here in London everyone strips naked in single sex communal changing rooms, but people are reasonably modest in front of people of the opposite gender.

On camino, I think it's particularly important not to be seen to be trying to look 'alluring' in the dorm, ie lacy nighties, sexy mesh bras, brazilian knickers and whatnot. Sporty is much more comfortable and appropriate. No one is trying to ogle, but some things will draw the eye of the guys and embarrass people.

True enough. maybe, it is just my lack of imagination, but I just don't understand "frilly knickers" on the Camino. My tastes are a lot more utilitarian, I'm afraid, Not that we should all be wandering around in hair shirts! Then again, I could not see the need of some one hauling along 2 kg of make up either and I know that has been done. :) But each to her own and we all have different priorities!

Really? The albergue in Roncesvalles has lockers with locks for a one euro deposit, and there were several others I remember; La Mochila in Itero de la Vega, Albergue Pereiro in Melide, and Hostel León.
Have not been in the new albergue in Roncesvalles. I was lucky to be there when ot was in the great big stone hall with massive chandeliers and just rows and rows and rows of bunk beds. Such a fantastic experience. There would not have been any room for lockers back then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sue - you'll laugh when you see the Camino way of drying clothes. Especially if the humidity is high from rain, if your albergue doesn't have a dryer sometimes it's really hard to get especially cotton to dry overnight by air-drying. What people do then is use safety pins and tack damp things to their backpack to air dry the next day whilst walking. If it's still raining the next day, if you roll your half-damp clothes up in a bag to hike, then air dry them a second night at the next albergue, they always finish drying. Another thing people do in crowded albergues is to throw their clothes into the dryer together, since most people aren't doing all that much laundry each night.
I had bought some three meters of elastic rope (four millimeters thick). Together with a couple of unexpensive carabiner snap hooks (help to secure stuff to backpack at daytime) it makes a clothing line in between beds, fence posts......

Last edited:

xL
I'll give my thoughts on 1 and 3. I tested a silk liner before setting off and decided against it. I found I got tangled up in it and didn't stay warm enough. I generally sleep warm, but I don't like sleeping with just a sheet. I like a bit more weight in a covering. I used a lightweight fiber fill sleeping bag from North Face. I'm so glad I had it. There were definitely times where I needed extra warmth. I walked in the fall, but I suspect you'll run into cool nights when you're walking.

There is no need for a lock. At many alburgues there are no lockers anyway. The key is to keep valuables with you, including electronics. If you walk with a Camino family, you can share the job of keeping an eye on valuables. This makes it much easier to get a shower in without having to bring everything with you into the often small shower stalls.

All of the advise given above is really good. One of the things that happened when we walked is that some Europeans don't mind being seen nude.( Mostly men) and women alike. It wasn't like they were parading around nude. In the Albergues where we observed this they were changing or putting on clean clothes standing by their beds. It surprised us the first time, but it only happened a few times.

€83,-
Hi everyone! Just a quick note to thank everyone who weighed in on my questions and gave me/us great insight. This is a wonderful forum and I'm very thankful to all of you who graciously took time to share your perspective. Oh, as an aside, the nightdress I referred to above was given to me by my mom - she is turning 80 this year. Every Christmas for as long as I can remember receive a new pair of pjs from her. xL

I just recently bought a night dress from Kohls, here in the USA. Blue with white polka dots. It will also serve as an outfit to change into after showering to wear to dinner or church. Will just add the belt that will hold up my pants as I lose weight on the camino!! Would not take a sports bra, for the reason mentioned above, as they are tricky to put on over your head discreetly. Also, even harder to get off when sweaty. You are hiking, not jogging!

I did that in my Camino Frances and will do again in the Portugues! I had my 2 walking tshirts and pants, plus a very light 3rd t-shirt and shorts that I only used for sleeping (as I love to sleep in clean clothes). But they could double as walking clothes if it got too hot, too cold or too wet!
Ditto. Silk t-shirt and silk shorts, total weight 158 gm or the equivalent of a small glass of water. Used for sleeping, swimming and as emergency wear about albergue or town when washing everything else in my backpack.
Walked with a rather elegant woman on her second camino who slept in a light cotton nightie. About mid thigh length and sleeveless. She slept on top bunks because her husband and walking partner had a bad back. The length of the nightie kept all discreet.

xL
I'd bring a sleeping bag. I almost froze in Leon (3degree C at the end of May) sometimes when tired and/or hungry you can feel the cold more. As for sleeping, I always wore my next day's hiking base layer cotton/lycra cycling shorts and a snug fitting T shirt. ALWAYS keep your valuables with you. I'd be less worried about my pack.

My wife and I wear Icebreaker or Smartwool t-shirts, sweatshirts, underwear and socks. They never smell, dry really fast and seem to be cool enough even on fairly warm days. On cold days, we layer. Wool is more expensive than some of the other quick dry underwear and t-shirts but perform much better (in our experience) and often on sale if you look around.

There are lots of different opinions of what works best; you'll find what works best for you and, if not, there are so many stores along the camino where you can buy just about anything you need.

Good luck!

Sleeping bag liner or sleeping bag is all dependent on how cold you sleep, and you could actually just carry a liner and wear a fleece pullover if you get cold. For me, keeping my torso warm is most important. I'm a proponent of Camino gear multi tasking. The fleece pullover also acts like an insulating layer for sleep in addition to keeping me warm otherwise. You could carry a pair of light base layer synthetic long bottoms for your legs if you get cold at night. Either way, the fleece top and the base layer bottoms multi task. Also, in my experience a lot of the albergues had blankets and I used them.
If you do decide on a sleeping bag, I don't recommend hauling around one that weighs more than 1-1/2 pounds.
No need for PJ's to sleep in, in the albergues and I can't say I really saw any pilgrims wearing any. In Portomarin I did see one guy wearing silk looking pajamas, slippers and one of those silk looking robes walking around the sleeping quarters of the big albergue there. I had to look away from him because I would start laughing. I mean, who wears that stuff?
No need for a lock for your backpack. Just never, ever, never leave your money, passport, credit cards or expensive electronics in it unattended.
ultreia
I was in the municipal albergue in Granja de Moreruela with a guy who was pulled out a dressing gown out of his pack. Now that was hilarious.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if you are doing the Camino in a group of two or more when you leave your shoes swap with your left shoe with you friends and put them at ether end of rack. No body is going to take odd shoes.

Looking at this thread, it got me to thinking, I haven't owned or worn a pair of pajamas since I was about twelve years old. I don't even know if they sell them anymore for adult males. Never crossed my mind to bring specific sleeping attire to walk the Camino. Maybe it's a guy thing?
Ha! I haven't worn anything to sleep in in many decades. Decided months ago I'd spare my fellow peregrinos and would wear my next-day T-shirt and long johns.

Sue - you'll laugh when you see the Camino way of drying clothes. Especially if the humidity is high from rain, if your albergue doesn't have a dryer sometimes it's really hard to get especially cotton to dry overnight by air-drying. What people do then is use safety pins and tack damp things to their backpack to air dry the next day whilst walking.

Yes, the walking clothsline! My walking partner 2 years ago spoke fluent Spanish, and overheard a Spanish mother outside a cafe explaining to her surprised young child about the realities of peregrino life when I walked by with a bra and boyshorts pinned to the back of my pack.

Breathable nylon for panties--whichever cut you like, Ex Officio is good but not the only model of nylon mesh panty out there--and for the bra, just make sure the straps are not lumpy under the pack strap. If you find a deep red mark on your shoulder after the first day's walking, you have the wrong bra. Go without rather than get a pressure sore! (Been there, done that. Free boobing across all of northern Spain is not something so comfortable that I would ever want to repeat it either.

Thank you, Texas Walker. "Free boobing" is now my favorite new verb. :D

ladies, you should not be so good looking as to warrant the attention!! buen camino!!

Please be more mindful of comments like this. The implication that "hot" women deserve to be ogled and it's their own fault for being "good looking", and the inverse that women deemed not "good looking" do not "warrant attention" is lecherous and sexist. I'm sure you did not mean to be lecherous and sexist, but your comment has that impact. The peregrinas here will all be staying in co-ed dorms and comments like the above can set many of us on edge.

Men on the camino, and in general, should behave and speak respectfully and non-threateningly around women, regardless of a woman's judged "attractiveness", and regardless of whether she is wearing a night shift or is covered up like a nun.

Thank you.

Turning48, I froze in Roncesvalles in later May last year when it was sleeting and hailing from before the Col de Lepoeder the whole way down to Roncesvalles. Because at that point I only had a liner (didn't bring my bag because many said a liner would be fine) and didn't realize that the desk sold bags, I ended up sleeping in every item of clothing I had including my fleece to stay warm (was sick to boot). Roncesvalles doesn't provide blankets. Even at albergues in the mountains that are colder at night where they DO provide (sometimes kind of grubby.....) blankets, it's a real comfort to crawl into your own bag at night. Mine from the first Camino is very lightweight and was very inexpensive.

I saw only a couple of women wearing nightie-like things at albergues, and I would not have wanted to be one of them among a dorm full of men from all over the world. There was only one albergue in Carrion de Los Condes with a separate women's dorm, although some others like Casa Magica in Villatuerta tried to put women traveling alone or with other women in one room if the numbers worked out. You'll see guys in old Speedos or only wearing briefs or boxers, which can be a little odd the first time for non-Europeans, but which quickly becomes irrelevant. I wore the top I was going to hike in the next day (most people shower and do laundry first thing on getting to the albergue) to sleep in and took some comfy lightweight pajama bottoms.

I took ANYTHING anyone could possibly want with me in a featherweight back sack in the evenings, and then didn't worry about the backpack. I tied my shoes with the piece of fabric that I tie to my backpack for baggage claim recognition so that nobody takes my shoes by mistake thinking they're theirs. Have seen a couple of people lose their hiking shoes that way, which was really irritating for them. Buen Camino!!!
Ohhh spare my eyes some pensioner in the banana hammock.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, the walking clothsline! My walking partner 2 years ago spoke fluent Spanish, and overheard a Spanish mother outside a cafe explaining to her surprised young child about the realities of peregrino life when I walked by with a bra and boyshorts pinned to the back of my pack.

Please be more mindful of comments like this. The implication that "hot" women deserve to be ogled and it's their own fault for being "good looking", and the inverse that women deemed not "good looking" do not "warrant attention" is lecherous and sexist. I'm sure you did not mean to be lecherous and sexist, but your comment has that impact. The peregrinas here will all be staying in co-ed dorms and comments like the above can set many of us on edge.

Men on the camino, and in general, should behave and speak respectfully and non-threateningly around women, regardless of a woman's judged "attractiveness", and regardless of whether she is wearing a night shift or is covered up like a nun.

Thank you.

Thank you.
I do appologise if my entry caused you any offence, I did not mean it to sound like that, just a light hearted throw-away remark on my part. I shall pay more attention in the future and I will consider myself suitable "told off" Buen Camino

I wore black silk long johns at night, very light ones, and though somewhat see-through, I managed to be discreet with a sarong, which doubled as a wrap for my eyes and head against light and cold. This time I will take a shemagh, which I just love. Both the top and bottom of the long johns doubled as under layers when it was chilly or needed a blocking layer against sun. They are light as a feather and keep you warm or cool as needed. My base layer long-sleeve is silk also, and very light. Silk long johns, silk liner, light bag, and I'm set for any conditions. I used a sleeping bag and liner (permethrin soaked ) in both heat and cold, and I agree that it feels more secure to have your own sleeping gear. Also used stuff sack with clothes for pillow. I like the piece of fabric idea to tie on your hiking boots, and taking the insoles.

I am a man and old enough to be a grandfather, but I can guarantee that most men look at women. They may not admit it or try to hide it, but as Lady Ga Ga says, "We were born that way."

I went mid May 2015. You will not need a sleeping bag. Take your silk liner. Almost all albergues have blankets if needed.

Don't think your sleeping dress will work. I took a very light weight pajamas black in...color, tshirt top that I could wear out with under a sweater. Climbing in and out of bunks you won't want a dress.

Just be sure your valuables are with you at all times... including electronics.

xx
Hi! I arrived in SdC on May 5, 2015. It was an amazing walk and I hope yours is the same. My pack was 7.5 kg, and I brought only a polyester fleece sleep sack, and a small polyester pillowcase to encase my very light down jacket to use as a pillow. I used an albergue blanket every night, and at the Samos Monastery I borrowed a second one off of an unoccupied bed. All of the blankets appeared to be clean. Some mornings I draped my poly-fleece sweater over my chest for more warmth. I encountered one public albergue that did not have blankets, so I just went on to a private one. However, I agree with your decision to take a light sleeping bag. If it's really cold, ask for a blanket when you check in, just in case.
Also, for your trip to the shower, take two plastic bags with drawstrings - one for your clean, dry clothes and a second to put your dirty clothes in before you turn the shower on.
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.