• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 week Camino Late July-Aug First Time

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to do my first camino ever leaving the end of July (approx july 22nd) until Aug 17th. It is the only time I have to do a part of the Camino and am very worried about the HEAT and CROWDS, but if I don't do it now not sure when I will be able to.

I understand I cannot complete the entire walk in this time frame but was planning on starting in St. Jean Pied de Port and just seeing how far I get or possibly just doing some legs. AM thinking of flying out of Madrid as I assume it will be easy to get to from wherever I end up.

QUESTIONS: Should I be stressed out about being able to find a place to sleep each night OR does it always work out?

How HUMID is the heat? Should I seriously reconsider this time of walking? (That is, I don't want it to be HELL)

Also, I would love to avoid highways and stick to scenic isolated paths - is this possible during the start? Would hate to spend my time I have walking the wrong part

Sorry for silly questions. Help is so much appreciated.

Scott

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not silly questions.
Some folks deliberately walk in spring or autumn to avoid these weather considerations. I'd suggest you search the forum, and elsewhere, for weather sites that will give you the monthly averages for sun, temps and rainfall.
You don't need to get stressed out about accommodation. Check with the pilgrim office in St Jean on arrival as they have up to info regarding recent numbers on the Camino Frances. You can then book ahead, or not, depending on your specific requirements.
Book your first night/s in St Jean.
Not long to go now!
Buen Camino
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Gerard! How do I book ahead?
The 'Resources' section of this forum offers an up-to-date and downloadable list of all Albergues on the CF. Info on B&Bs (Casa Rural in Spain) and hotels are readily available from guide books and popular accommodation websites.
Regards
Gerard

Hello everybody!

For years I have been possessed by Camino Fever and finally it's going to happen!

Just like Scott I'm about to embark on my first CF and I sadly only have three weeks time. I am now torn between starting somewhere around Leon and finishing in Santiago or Finisterre or starting in SJ and going as far as I can...

What are your experiences? Is it better to take the fist half as a first experience or the last?

I will start around August 25 and I can't wait! Thanks for your help everyone! :)

Jas

Is it better to take the fist half as a first experience or the last?
It does not really matter. You will enjoy either. I find crossing the Pyrenees overrated, but you may not.

Stressing out over anything, particularly what other people are doing, can ruin the experience. Unless you have a time machine, you have to accept conditions as they are, not as they were. You will need to find a working strategy for finding a bed. Walking until you drop, then easily finding a bed, no longer works all the time. Staying in the typical end stage points is what everyone is doing, so it makes the crowding more obvious. Starting late and ending late leaves you walking in the heat of the day, which can be considerable, and may lead to full accommodations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@ScottRD starting in SJPDP in late July I don't think you will find it crowded - if you look at the statistics for people leaving SJPDP (as opposed to arriving in SDC) the high points are May and September, not July August.

Anyway, this year, contrary to my expectations, I had no problem at all with accommodation, as long as I stopped walking early in the afternoon. In July August there is no way I would be walking after midday anyway, because of the heat. Although it is nice walking in the late evening at that time of year - and the days are very long. The year I walked in July I sometimes broke the walking day into two parts (half in the morning, half in the evening, with a long break between). It's not altogether easy - difficult to get the daily washing done! If you do decide sometimes to walk in the evening that would be the time to book ahead, and let them know your eta will be late. probably those days would be hotel or pension days - the albergues generally close for the night at 10pm.

As to the type of heat - the only place I've experienced humid heat on the CF is in Galicia. When it usually rains.

Also, I would love to avoid highways and stick to scenic isolated paths - is this possible during the start? Would hate to spend my time I have walking the wrong part Scott
I suggest you make reservations for the first two days -and then decide, on the spot, your lodging strategy.
Remember that the Camino Frances is not a walk in an isolated wilderness. Contrary to other famous Ways, it follows mostly a "historic" precedent, and pilgrims of yore were not interested in "landscapes", but in villages where they could sleep and be safe, and sanctuaries with renowned relics. So, apart from the crossing of the Pyrenees and some hilly and woody sections, it goes along existing roads and villages. Having said that, apart from some stages (as before and after big cities), it is pretty picturesque and pleasing.

Last edited:
I walked from Leon to SDC in Spring of 2015. My son and I walked for about 10 days-- we spent a few days in Leon, a day in Astorga, and 4 in SDC. I wish now, we had started from Burgos, but we weren't sure how far we could walk in a day.

This Spring (2016) we walked from SJPP to Burgos. Most people walking found places to stay at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. We were on a tight time schedule and so on most days we kept walking until about 5 or 6pm. There were a few times when we could not find a place in a village in Navarre and had to walk to the next one. We stayed in municipal albergues for the most part, and they do not take reservations. -- I think if you get up early and out the door in the cool morning the heat won't be too bad, plan on taking a siesta at around 1 or 2. :) Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked from Leon to SDC in Spring of 2015. My son and I walked for about 10 days-- we spent a few days in Leon, a day in Astorga, and 4 in SDC. I wish now, we had started from Burgos, but we weren't sure how far we could walk in a day.

This Spring (2016) we walked from SJPP to Burgos. Most people walking found places to stay at around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. We were on a tight time schedule and so on most days we kept walking until about 5 or 6pm. There were a few times when we could not find a place in a village in Navarre and had to walk to the next one. We stayed in municipal albergues for the most part, and they do not take reservations. -- I think if you get up early and out the door in the cool morning the heat won't be too bad, plan on taking a siesta at around 1 or 2. :) Buen camino!

Thanks Kelley, I already wasn't sure if walking from Leon would be the right choice and was considering to start in Burgos instead. However, as I could go back next year, the option of starting in SJPP now and getting my Compostela whenever I finish the seond half seems fine as well... Especially because I'm not overly excited about meeting the huge crowd on the last 100km.

It does not really matter. You will enjoy either. I find crossing the Pyrenees overrated, but you may not.

Stressing out over anything, particularly what other people are doing, can ruin the experience. Unless you have a time machine, you have to accept conditions as they are, not as they were. You will need to find a working strategy for finding a bed. Walking until you drop, then easily finding a bed, no longer works all the time. Staying in the typical end stage points is what everyone is doing, so it makes the crowding more obvious. Starting late and ending late leaves you walking in the heat of the day, which can be considerable, and may lead to full accommodations.

Hi Felipe, thanks for your opinion! I think at the moment, my excitement is getting the better of me and that's why I'm stressing about which half to go... Whichever is also why the first half from SJPP seems nicer to me. Just to go with the flow and see where I end up! :)

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing experience anyways and I can't wait! :)

Thanks for all y0ur replies! The part of the Camino I am most excited about is the very start and staying the night in Orisson and walking the pyrenees at sunrise. Am worried it will be full or I wont get a place to sleep and will have to walk through. So here is my new question. Trying to figure out the best day to arrive and leave St Jean.

Right now I can either arrive in SJPP on a saturday afternoon or a Sunday Afternoon, departing for Orisson early the next day.

Recommendations?

( Arrive SJPP Saturday July 23rd, Sunday July 24th or Monday July 25th?) Ie, leave the following morning (wondering if things are open on the weekend if i need supplies?)

Scott

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The part of the Camino I am most excited about is the very start and staying the night in Orisson and walking the pyrenees at sunrise. Am worried it will be full or I wont get a place to sleep and will have to walk through. So here is my new question. Trying to figure out the best day to arrive and leave St Jean.

Scott

I think first of all you need to contact Orisson and check they have a bed.
Their email address is here somewhere on the forum, have a search.
If it is full, I wouldn't panic, going to Roncesvalles is feasible in one day, lots of pilgrims do it.(Provided you don't have health issues of course and that the weather's good).
An alternative is going through Valcarlos, everyone I know who's walked it loved it.

Last edited:
I think first of all you need to contact Orisson and check they have a bed.
Their email address is here somewhere on the forum, have a search.
If it is full, I wouldn't panic, going to Roncesvalles is feasible in one day, lots of pilgrims do it.
An alternative is going through Valcarlos, everyone I know who's walked it loved it.

Here is the Orisson web.
Here is the list of Valcarlos possibilties from Gronze.com.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all y0ur replies! The part of the Camino I am most excited about is the very start and staying the night in Orisson and walking the pyrenees at sunrise. Am worried it will be full or I wont get a place to sleep and will have to walk through. So here is my new question. Trying to figure out the best day to arrive and leave St Jean.

Right now I can either arrive in SJPP on a saturday afternoon or a Sunday Afternoon, departing for Orisson early the next day.

Recommendations?

( Arrive SJPP Saturday July 23rd, Sunday July 24th or Monday July 25th?) Ie, leave the following morning (wondering if things are open on the weekend if i need supplies?)

Scott

Hi, Scott!

Buen Camino! If you arrive on the Saturday July 23rd, you'll be able to buy some food in SJPP as long as you get there before the shops close. Last year I walked about 15 minutes into the newer part of town and went to Carrefour supermarket. It's open until 7:30pm on Saturday.

http://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/market-Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port#my-store-info

I wouldn't choose to arrive on SJPP on Sunday, and I would prefer Saturday to Monday, but either Saturday or Monday would be okay.

If you stay at Orisson their food is delicious and they can pack you a sandwich for the next day if you like (I did that when I stayed there on my first Camino, and stopped in and bought one on my second Camino when I walked straight to Roncesvalles my first day). This time I'll buy bread and cheese (and chocolate) in SJPP for the walk over the mountain.

I can feel your energy of anticipation, it's exciting to be at the beginning (wherever you choose your beginning to be!) but don't worry too much about places being packed full. I don't know how you'll do getting a place inside at Orisson at this point; it's very close to when you want to stay there. But my first year I walked I ended up in an overflow tent on the hill behind the building (after sending an e-mail asking to reserve a place several weeks before I was due to arrive), along with about 25 other people. I guess, having walked more than once now, I know that it all works out in the end, one way or another, often better than I could have hoped for, and in a way that seems to make perfect sense looking back on it later... and often in the most surprising and delightful ways. :)

Also, as has been said, you may decide you'd like to go to Roncesvalles in one stage. The first time I walked I stayed at Orisson because I didn't think it possible for me to get across the Route Napoleon in one go. But the second year I was curious to try it and I was glad I did! The first 2.5 hours to Orisson is the steepest most intense part (I always describe it to people as 8km of *up*) and if it's a clear beautiful day (I've crossed twice in the rain and fog), you might like to keep going to get to actually see all the beauty that's on the top. :)

Whatever you do, there is no wrong answer. I think there's great freedom in that.

Animo!

Rachel :)

Another question now that i have my tickets. I will be walking a portion starting the end of July until Mid August.

Was looking at shorts and then just realized maybe running shorts or something like this would be better.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of walking/ running shorts for the heat?

Also, any recommendations on a light weight rain jacket?

Thanks!

Another question now that i have my tickets. I will be walking a portion starting the end of July until Mid August.

Was looking at shorts and then just realized maybe running shorts or something like this would be better.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of walking/ running shorts for the heat?

Also, any recommendations on a light weight rain jacket?

Thanks!

I'm not much help to you in figuring out shorts, I don't wear them on the Camino (there was a conversation about this on the forum recently, many pilgrims wear them, especially in summer, and many don't -- I don't because having my legs covered protects me from sun, bugs, scratches from prickles, etc.).

But you have tickets! Hurray! Congratulations! :D

Two things always let me know and really start to believe my next Camino is going to happen: when I have new Camino shoes, and when I've bought the ticket. :)

Rachel

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back