• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 weeks in October. Where to start? Which route to take?

3 weeks in October. Where to start? Which route to take?

• Total voters

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hi everyone. A bit of a timeless question and one I've seen before. I have 3 weeks (21 days, maybe 22 to be precise) of walking starting in early October and I'm wondering what might be the best route for me. I am reasonably fit, 28 years old but it would by my first ever Camino.

1) Burgos to Santiago de Compostela
Pros) Sense of achievement in reaching Santiago de Compostela in one continuous journey.
Cons) The Meseta could be a gruelling way to start the Camino.

2) SJPP to Burgos or Sahagún.
Pros) I've heard that the Pyrenees are beautiful. The sense of adventure of starting something new.
Cons) No sense of accomplishment of reaching Santiago de Compostela.

3) SJPP to Santiago de Compostela, skipping a few points on the bus or train
Pros) Sense of achievement in reaching SdC.
Cons) Loss of sense of journey in a continuous walk.

4) León to Finisterre
Pros) Avoids starting on the Meseta. Reaching the sea.
Cons) You're nearly at the end of the road at León. Misses some of the best bits of the Camino Francés.

5) Salvador and then Camino Primitivo
Pros) Should work well in the timeframe. I hear it's stunning.
Cons) It could be hard to find accommodation in October. It might be a shame not to start with the Camino Francés.

From all of the other threads I've read, everyone says to follow your own path. Personally, from a Camino I'm seeking a sense of reflection, achievement and adventure too. I *think* I would like to finish in Santiago de Compostela for that reason.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback. I'm not even sure I will even be able to find the time but I've been dreaming about walking the Camino for a while now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome on this forum.
Hope you will find lots of information here.

For a first Camino I personally believe the Camino Francés is the best option, certainly in terms of possible stops and places to sleep /eat.

Option 1 Burgos to Santiago appeals the most to me seeing you will have the continuation. Then again I never saw the need to cross from St-Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles.

Why would the meseta be gruelling? IMO the meseta is gorgeous. Seeing you will walk in October it will be less hot too. Perfect for walking.

Happy preparations.

My first ever camino was 2 weeks from Leon to Santiago when I was 29 and I really loved that sense of reach SdeC. I didn't feel the need for Muxia or Finiserre. The meseta from Burgos is a reasonable starting point -much easier than the early days from SJPdeP! Just take the first few days slow as others will have built up their stamina and may do longer distances. So I'd plump Burgos to SdC.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My first ever camino was 2 weeks from Leon to Santiago when I was 29 and I really loved that sense of reach SdeC. I didn't feel the need for Muxia or Finiserre. The meseta from Burgos is a reasonable starting point -much easier than the early days from SJPdeP! Just take the first few days slow as others will have built up their stamina and may do longer distances. So I'd plump Burgos to SdC.
Comfortably doable in 3 weeks if your body isn't adapted to the long distances?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Comfortably doable in 3 weeks if your body isn't adapted to the long distances?
I did Leon to SdeC in less than peak form as had nasty flu less than 2 months before- so was just starting to build up stamina again. I did a few days of 30km but most were 20-25km. Burgos to SdC is possible but an resource I have found helpful planning so you can look at daily distances- first put in start and end points and second page let's you add stages (and easy to play about on this page)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back