• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 weeks is this ok

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

hey again i have decided after talking with my GP Doctor and my Physiotherapist i have decided with their reasoning as my Dr has done the trail to go from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on a battery assisted leg powered E Bike and ride leg power only for last 200 kilometers to Santiago de Compastela. Then 4-6 days to do the ride on same bike to Muxia to Fisterre to Santiago de Compastela to finish

A few questions :) how hard is the last 200 kilometers and what town is the town to stay in closest to the 200? i heard there is one at 203 kilometers away and what type of accommodation is there until i get to santiago? and how long should it take me as i have a few health issues.

Also what is last 100 kilometer like and what is the town to start from here to the end please.

I want to thank everyone who has asked my questions so far and will continue to answer my questions :)

What is the gradient of the hills and how long are the hills?

As vegetarians what fruit is available in may june please? and how much are meals? are any places that have pilgrim meals do vegetarian options for same price? :)

I am planning for may june 2020

Thanks again all

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is a great planning tool: https://godesalco.com/plan/frances
It looks like Cacabelos would be a good starting point for the 200 and it's a nice place with a choice of accommodation. Nearest the last 100 is usually Sarria.
thanks so much nidarosa i really appreciate it :) i will be wring in a travel book important things like these towns so i know when to not use the battery on the bike :) do you know how hard it is to ride from there please and thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have always walked, not cycled it, but here is another good planning tool for accommodation and map/profile of the route: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ponferrada/villafranca-bierzo
If you can't see the profile, click the + sign under the map. Yo won't be able to ride the trail up to O Cebreiro on a bike though no matter how electric it is, you have to take the road.

I have always walked, not cycled it, but here is another good planning tool for accommodation and map/profile of the route: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ponferrada/villafranca-bierzo
If you can't see the profile, click the + sign under the map. Yo won't be able to ride the trail up to O Cebreiro on a bike though no matter how electric it is, you have to take the road.
nidarosa many thanks again mate :) much appreciated i will check this website out :) thanks again

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yo won't be able to ride the trail up to O Cebreiro on a bike though no matter how electric it is, you have to take the road.
As I remember from four years ago there was a sign painted right on the road telling walkers and riders which way each should go at the junction.

Hey All

hey again i have decided after talking with my GP Doctor and my Physiotherapist i have decided with their reasoning as my Dr has done the trail to go from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on a battery assisted leg powered E Bike and ride leg power only for last 200 kilometers to Santiago de Compastela. Then 4-6 days to do the ride on same bike to Muxia to Fisterre to Santiago de Compastela to finish

A few questions :) how hard is the last 200 kilometers and what town is the town to stay in closest to the 200? i heard there is one at 203 kilometers away and what type of accommodation is there until i get to santiago? and how long should it take me as i have a few health issues.

Also what is last 100 kilometer like and what is the town to start from here to the end please.

I want to thank everyone who has asked my questions so far and will continue to answer my questions :)

As vegetarians what fruit is available in may june please? and how much are meals? are any places that have pilgrim meals do vegetarian options for same price? :)

Thanks again all

Buen Camino
If hills are a problem, the last 100 km will be a lot better than the last 200. The last 200 include the climb up to O Cebreiro, one of the biggest climbs after the Pyrenees; and the subsequent descent to Triacastela. There isn't anything near as challenging in the last 100, which most people start at Sarria.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If hills are a problem, the last 100 km will be a lot better than the last 200. The last 200 include the climb up to O Cebreiro, one of the biggest climbs after the Pyrenees; and the subsequent descent to Triacastela. There isn't anything near as challenging in the last 100, which most people start at Sarria.
thanks much appreciative for your comment David Tallan :) thanks mate

Hey All

Thanks again all

Buen Camino
Hello Pilgrimglenn7. I am so pleased to see that you are going to do the Camino on an e-bike. I am in the process of buying one for myself because otherwise it would simply be a case of giving up on cycling altogether.

I agree that O'Cobreiro is a hard hill to get up and I had to walk. My husband, as fa as I recall, rode all the way up as did many of the really dedicated cyclists (I was chased at one stage by a cow who I think was probably thinking I had some food on me 😆). If your bike has a "walk assist" mode on it you may well find you can still get up there pushing it because, although it's heavy, the motor will give some assistance.

I rode the Camino de Santiago in 2013 with my husband (on ordinary bikes). We did start from Bayonne and I've been racking my brain to recall what the final 200 kms were like. We generally kept to the roads and were very often riding alongside the trail anyway.

I discuss the stages of the ride we did from Ponferrado to Santiago in my blog (www.cyclingsofties.blog). Do have a look as it might give you a flavour of what I found the terrain like. My husband was 72 and I was 65 at the time.

Most of all, keep your promise to yourself and you will never regret it. It will be hard, but you will be surprised at how many inner resources you have hidden away, just waiting to be discovered. You meet some amazing people and each of them have their own stories to tell.

When my husband said he fancied doing the Del Norte camino this year I decided then that I would need an electric bike. I pick it up in about five day's time!

Hello Pilgrimglenn7. I am so pleased to see that you are going to do the Camino on an e-bike. I am in the process of buying one for myself because otherwise it would simply be a case of giving up on cycling altogether.

I agree that O'Cobreiro is a hard hill to get up and I had to walk. My husband, as fa as I recall, rode all the way up as did many of the really dedicated cyclists (I was chased at one stage by a cow who I think was probably thinking I had some food on me 😆). If your bike has a "walk assist" mode on it you may well find you can still get up there pushing it because, although it's heavy, the motor will give some assistance.

I rode the Camino de Santiago in 2013 with my husband (on ordinary bikes). We did start from Bayonne and I've been racking my brain to recall what the final 200 kms were like. We generally kept to the roads and were very often riding alongside the trail anyway.

I discuss the stages of the ride we did from Ponferrado to Santiago in my blog (www.cyclingsofties.blog). Do have a look as it might give you a flavour of what I found the terrain like. My husband was 72 and I was 65 at the time.

Most of all, keep your promise to yourself and you will never regret it. It will be hard, but you will be surprised at how many inner resources you have hidden away, just waiting to be discovered. You meet some amazing people and each of them have their own stories to tell.

When my husband said he fancied doing the Del Norte camino this year I decided then that I would need an electric bike. I pick it up in about five day's time!
Thanks or Muchas Gracias Mi Amiga Freeflyer
Much appreciated

After more discussions with my physiotherapist/massage therapist and my dr with the weight of the e bike they thought it be too much for me but to use a normal mountain bike and take 4-5 weeks to complete from SJJP to Santiago then onto Fisterre and Muxia back to Fisterre. They also want us to invest in a hire of a motorhome my wife can drive from town to town and we spend time together in say mid afternoons to mid mornings next day and take 1 day off a week and sometimes only ride about 10-20 kilometres so my body can adjust better from what i have and am going throught these past 12 months. They are really good to me and amazingly my dr recommended me to do this instead of what i had planned and i said why and the dr said i have done it and been to all the places but muxia and going back this year :) so God worked out what dr i am seeing for last few years :) and my physiotherapist/massage therapist we both love sports and history and is jealous i want to do this but he wants to do this some time also :)
Buen Camino my young friends :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.