• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 weeks post Camino, still at loose ends

Jeanne F

Time of past OR future Camino
none
I completed my Camino in Muxia on June 1 of this year. It was a transformative, life altering journey. Only...things feel too much the same. I want things to be different. I miss my Camino friends and the realness we shared. But at the same time l appreciate my loved ones so much more now. I feel impatient, calm, excited, sad, tired, invigorated, contemplative, scattered...all at the same time! My body feels different. My brain feels different. I am really understanding why people go back. I am sure I will. But until then? How can I be patient and let the Camino settle inside me? Also, I would love for people to tell me, how do you answer the question "How was your trip?" It seems too big a question to answer. Thanks for all your insights, I just know someone will understand!
Jeanne

https://iwouldwalk500miles.blog/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Talking with other pilgrims helps. I've found that family who have no interest in walking just don't get it. They get that glazed over look in their eyes after a few minutes. When you try and describe a humorous pilgrim situation, you often get a look of absolute horror. They wonder why on Gods green earth would you put up with this or that situation. And then I'm kinda at a loss to explain why. :eek:

Finding time to walk here at home helps too, especially walking solo. I love our Philadelphia APOC Chapter walks. Being able to walk with other pilgrims is wonderful, but the solo walks in the forest seem to do the most for me. Being able to truly walk at my own pace, breaking when I want to etc. The silence of the Pines does wonders.

Answering the question how was your trip is a tough one. For non walkers I just try and point out lovely views, special meals etc. The best cure or solution has been helping with Camino 101 presentations! Talking with pilgrims in the making and being able to be fully honest is a real joy. Being able to share excitement about a new backpack or a new way to shave a gram or too (or to laugh at the lengths I'll go to save weight!!) is truly a joy. It's hard to explain to my DIL's and girl friends that I only own two purses. But currently have four backpacks (it was five but one was stolen :mad:) There is only one pair of "dress" shoes in my closet, but there are two set's of hiking shoes and a pair of hiking sandals. I've found only fellow perigrinos understand this!

Last year my beloved sister in law finally came and walked the Ingles with me. And now totally "gets" it. In fact I've created a monster...she's always finding new ideas to try, new countries and new routes etc. ;)

I guess getting it settled inside of you is rather like walking the Camino itself. One day and one step at a time. Having taken a few moments to look at your blog...I'd say go back and look at what you posted!! Lovely blog and great pics. So on this new part of the journey...Buen Camino!!

Now 'scuse me while I go back to plotting and planning my next one. That I'll have to recover from!;)

I completed my Camino in Muxia on June 1 of this year. It was a transformative, life altering journey. Only...things feel too much the same. I want things to be different. I miss my Camino friends and the realness we shared. But at the same time l appreciate my loved ones so much more now. I feel impatient, calm, excited, sad, tired, invigorated, contemplative, scattered...all at the same time! My body feels different. My brain feels different. I am really understanding why people go back. I am sure I will. But until then? How can I be patient and let the Camino settle inside me? Also, I would love for people to tell me, how do you answer the question "How was your trip?" It seems too big a question to answer. Thanks for all your insights, I just know someone will understand!
Jeanne

Jeanne, I went straight to your blog. You have brought me to a sacred place. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's the outer journey and the inner journey. The deeper they both have gone, the more we feel the shift between what was, before we walked, and what is, now, afterwards.
It's like being in an earthquake, when everything shifts under your feet. It all needs time to settle, digest, and integrate.
Patience, kindness, and giving yourself quiet space to just feel go a long way.
Also, I would love for people to tell me, how do you answer the question "How was your trip?" It seems too big a question to answer.
Just say "Great," and leave it at that. People who are genuinely interested will ask more questions, and it can lead to interesting conversations. Otherwise, don't waste your breath.

Jeanne

Try and define, as much as is possible, the characteristics of those feelings and things which were so transformative to you and make them part of your day to day existence and interactions. Be it Joy, or Relaxation, or Spiritual centeredness, or Contentment, focus on how they become more a part of your personality and mindset.

How to answer inquiries about 'your trip'... What I tell people, "My pilgrimage was a uniquely satisfying and intensely spiritual time, which allowed me to also experience a wonderful country, people, and their cultures.".

Jeanne

I think most of us understand! I felt like that when I came back the first time (after my first Camino) and the only person I dared talk to was a fellow pilgrim I had walked with. I think he said something like ‘welcome to the club’ (it had been his 3rd Camino) and he told me I was welcome to join him on his next pilgrimage ....

You are right, it is too big a question to answer. I belong to a walking group now at home, they are lovely, they are serious walkers but they do NOT understand walking a Camino... Very few people - who haven’t done it - do. I am not sure I understand it myself but I’ll be back in a few days now.... Not long.
If you can, plan the next one, to me that is the only answer :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reentry from the Camino is a real thing. What I’ve learned is that I need to give myself that space to re-enter my life back home. I hope my loved ones have also learned that. It is a hard thing though. You can’t come away from living several weeks as a pilgrim and not have that affect you deeply. When you come home a changed person, that can be hard for loved ones to deal with. I’ve come to accept that it is what it is. Every pilgrim I’ve talked to had the same experience returning home. It won’t stop me from walking again. I ought to get a t-shirt made up that says, “On Camino reentry...give me time.”

The first days after my camino I was a bit in shock, especially because I could not understand how my house/life/work felt so cluttered and complicated. Everything in the Caino was so simple!

I ended up donating a lot of things. But I settled well when I realized that my "complicated" work was actually what allowed me to take leave and go on the Camino. Then I was in peace. There are moments of mess and there are moments of simplicity. But I'm so grateful for the life I have, that allowed me to go to the Camino twice and hopefully for a third time in the mid-term future :)

About the questios about the trip, I usually say "oh, it was awesome, highly recommend it". But inside, I feel like I'm holding a Pandora's box that is about to explode and spread all the Camino-ness over the universe!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are two reasons why I dont just walk Caminos all the time.

1. I need to finance them so working is a necessity between Caminos.
2. I need someone to look after my animals, so I have to work in with other people who can do that for me.

It is a year ago that I walked into Santiago, I miss it terribly. Not a day goes by when I dont think about the Camino and I constantly wish I was there. It never goes away. The minute I hopped on the plane to come home, I was in mourning - yearning to be back there in Northern Spain.

“Back to Brother Raúl, his face kept coming back to me all day. Despite his hard work, I doubt he ever runs around all frazzled and says, “I’m just so busy!” He does the work he has committed himself to doing, day in and day out with a smile on his face. No drama. When he asked us to pray for him in Santiago, Marci and I both began to cry. I wondered why. For me, it’s because I thought he didn’t need to pray. He is a brother after all, doesn’t he have a high speed connection to God? But really I cried for one reason. He knows what family means. Holding each other up. Asking for help. Knowing your limits. Valuing each other. That’s family.”

I am working backwards through your blog. I love your gift of asking the questions that matter, in the daily Camino of life. I smiled at your reason for crying, ‘He is a brother after all....’ From a sister, seems to me your connection is at the top of the wave!
I have read from back to front. You are an author. And what a beautiful message from your mom! Thank you, you have blessed me, and so many others reading your posts. Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just read your precious blog from end to beginning, it is obvious to me that you have access to the answers inside you. Maybe keep writing your introspections down for a while longer?... The people who believed you could do it, are still there with you in spirit; they are in your heart. The Camino is in your heart, and your heart has taken you back to your family, much enriched. You will work out how to integrate the intense experiences in your daily life, just give it time. So many emotions... As a wise teacher once told me, think of them as a glass of murky water... just leave it alone for a while, and it will settle... then all will be clear again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful blog.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And now I am going to read your blog! Re-entry is a real issue! And much of it, I think, has to be born alone. Of course, if you have other peregrinos to talk to, it’s easier. I don’t really. I panic almost at the question of how was the camino! Impossible to answer in manner justifying the experiences. But sometimes one runs onto a person who does really want to know and that is liberating.

And now I am going to read your blog! Re-entry is a real issue! And much of it, I think, has to be born alone. Of course, if you have other peregrinos to talk to, it’s easier. I don’t really. I panic almost at the question of how was the camino! Impossible to answer in manner justifying the experiences. But sometimes one runs onto a person who does really want to know and that is liberating.
I can tell whether someone sincerely wants to understand the Camino experience by the questions they ask. I recently had a conversation with someone who asked insightful questions about the Camino. No surprise that she is interested in walking it.

You sign up for this forum's "Yesterday's New Topics" daily e-mails! It's my easy Camino fix until I return.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There's the outer journey and the inner journey. The deeper they both have gone, the more we feel the shift between what was, before we walked, and what is, now, afterwards.
It's like being in an earthquake, when everything shifts under your feet. It all needs time to settle, digest, and integrate.
Patience, kindness, and giving yourself quiet space to just feel go a long way.
Just say "Great," and leave it at that. People who are genuinely interested will ask more questions, and it can lead to interesting conversations. Otherwise, don't waste your breath.
That’s exactly how I feel.

@Jeanne F , kia ora (greetings)

My last hour in Santiago was in the Cathedral for the festal mass for All Saints. That followed two months walking from Le Puy-en-Velay. It took me more than two months to "recover". And then not really. In two months I plan to be on the way again. This time from Canterbury Cathedral to S Peter's Basilica in Rome.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

@Jeanne F Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the link to your blog. I believe you will get things sorted out over time. Re: the question, "how was your trip?" I have settled on a brief answer: "I love España!" As others have indicated, if someone is interested they will ask questions/seek more info. Besides, it's much more fun to share details if someone is earnestly interested.

I look forward to someday sharing tales of that wonderful, far away place with my granddaughter. I hope she gets to experience it for herself someday. If she does, I imagine she will remember her Papa--with a sparkle in his eyes and a smile on his face--saying, "I love España, and you will, too, little one," realizing I gave her some words of truth.

Per your blog:
- On my most recent Camino (2016), I, too, was celebrating my 50th.
- I have come to understand that my "mind" and my "brain" are two separate yet symbiotic entities that rarely perform in perfect concert.
- And, yes, limón beer is awesome.

Jeanne

I UNDERSTAND.
Walked 800ks in Aug, last year then again in April this year. been back about four weeks. Unfortunately the last walk was as part of a film and I got nothing like what I got out of the first walk. But having said that I feel a yearning to go back. The spiritual and mental peace you get is amazing . So how do you explain it to someone just tell them it will change your life go and walk it. Thats all you can do. Half of the people you tell will want to understand but they will struggle and the other half wont even try to understand.
This sounds like I am being negative I am not, but so many times I have looked at people I am talking to am I think to myself. You just dont get it.
You were called to walk it and you have hold on to that and be very proud of your self and one day given the right timing you will go back.
Good luck God bless.

Jeanne

Jeanne I have no advice to offer as I am planning my own maiden voyage on the Camino. I did want to thank you for writing your heartfelt blog and let you know how much I loved it. Very honest, insightful and thought provoking. I enjoyed it so much.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been back over a year now and still feel a little "out of it" I guess you could say. I want to return and walk again but I often wonder about my motivations and if I would be simply chasing ghosts of my original camino that I enjoyed so much.

Glad to see a thread like this, I’ve been back into my life 3 days now, I’ve really enjoyed seeing my kids and my wife, although we are now in the uk for a time before We return to southern Spain to live.

I’m not used to hearing English, and going to the cinema, shopping and spending money seems very wasteful, I think the simplicity of walking is a wonder in its self, and is very addictive! I miss spanish coffee and of course rising early to walk as the sun comes up, which simply cannot be beaten!

I’ll be back, and that gives me a good feeling, until then I want to apppreciate the simple things in life, you don’t need all the ‘stuff’ you just need to get your boots on and get out there!!!

Buen Camino :)

Malcolm

Last edited:
Talking with other pilgrims helps. I've found that family who have no interest in walking just don't get it. They get that glazed over look in their eyes after a few minutes. When you try and describe a humorous pilgrim situation, you often get a look of absolute horror. They wonder why on Gods green earth would you put up with this or that situation. And then I'm kinda at a loss to explain why. :eek:

Finding time to walk here at home helps too, especially walking solo. I love our Philadelphia APOC Chapter walks. Being able to walk with other pilgrims is wonderful, but the solo walks in the forest seem to do the most for me. Being able to truly walk at my own pace, breaking when I want to etc. The silence of the Pines does wonders.

Answering the question how was your trip is a tough one. For non walkers I just try and point out lovely views, special meals etc. The best cure or solution has been helping with Camino 101 presentations! Talking with pilgrims in the making and being able to be fully honest is a real joy. Being able to share excitement about a new backpack or a new way to shave a gram or too (or to laugh at the lengths I'll go to save weight!!) is truly a joy. It's hard to explain to my DIL's and girl friends that I only own two purses. But currently have four backpacks (it was five but one was stolen :mad:) There is only one pair of "dress" shoes in my closet, but there are two set's of hiking shoes and a pair of hiking sandals. I've found only fellow perigrinos understand this!

Last year my beloved sister in law finally came and walked the Ingles with me. And now totally "gets" it. In fact I've created a monster...she's always finding new ideas to try, new countries and new routes etc. ;)

I guess getting it settled inside of you is rather like walking the Camino itself. One day and one step at a time. Having taken a few moments to look at your blog...I'd say go back and look at what you posted!! Lovely blog and great pics. So on this new part of the journey...Buen Camino!!

Now 'scuse me while I go back to plotting and planning my next one. That I'll have to recover from!;)
Jeanne, I went straight to your blog. You have brought me to a sacred place. Thank you.
Thank you so so much. I couldn't get a better compliment!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jeanne I have no advice to offer as I am planning my own maiden voyage on the Camino. I did want to thank you for writing your heartfelt blog and let you know how much I loved it. Very honest, insightful and thought provoking. I enjoyed it so much.
Thanks so much!!

I've been back over a year now and still feel a little "out of it" I guess you could say. I want to return and walk again but I often wonder about my motivations and if I would be simply chasing ghosts of my original camino that I enjoyed so much.
You should listen to the music of Oliver Shroer. Takes you back in a good way. Good to know I'll still feel like this in a year!!

I UNDERSTAND.
Walked 800ks in Aug, last year then again in April this year. been back about four weeks. Unfortunately the last walk was as part of a film and I got nothing like what I got out of the first walk. But having said that I feel a yearning to go back. The spiritual and mental peace you get is amazing . So how do you explain it to someone just tell them it will change your life go and walk it. Thats all you can do. Half of the people you tell will want to understand but they will struggle and the other half wont even try to understand.
This sounds like I am being negative I am not, but so many times I have looked at people I am talking to am I think to myself. You just dont get it.
You were called to walk it and you have hold on to that and be very proud of your self and one day given the right timing you will go back.
Good luck God bless.
Thanks, I feel so validated! Seriously, makes me feel better to read these words.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having just read your precious blog from end to beginning, it is obvious to me that you have access to the answers inside you. Maybe keep writing your introspections down for a while longer?... The people who believed you could do it, are still there with you in spirit; they are in your heart. The Camino is in your heart, and your heart has taken you back to your family, much enriched. You will work out how to integrate the intense experiences in your daily life, just give it time. So many emotions... As a wise teacher once told me, think of them as a glass of murky water... just leave it alone for a while, and it will settle... then all will be clear again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful blog.
What a wonderful thing to say! I will think about that again and again.

“Back to Brother Raúl, his face kept coming back to me all day. Despite his hard work, I doubt he ever runs around all frazzled and says, “I’m just so busy!” He does the work he has committed himself to doing, day in and day out with a smile on his face. No drama. When he asked us to pray for him in Santiago, Marci and I both began to cry. I wondered why. For me, it’s because I thought he didn’t need to pray. He is a brother after all, doesn’t he have a high speed connection to God? But really I cried for one reason. He knows what family means. Holding each other up. Asking for help. Knowing your limits. Valuing each other. That’s family.”

I am working backwards through your blog. I love your gift of asking the questions that matter, in the daily Camino of life. I smiled at your reason for crying, ‘He is a brother after all....’ From a sister, seems to me your connection is at the top of the wave!
I have read from back to front. You are an author. And what a beautiful message from your mom! Thank you, you have blessed me, and so many others reading your posts. Buen Camino.
Wow, thank you! Brother Raul is with me every day. Many blessings.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try and define, as much as is possible, the characteristics of those feelings and things which were so transformative to you and make them part of your day to day existence and interactions. Be it Joy, or Relaxation, or Spiritual centeredness, or Contentment, focus on how they become more a part of your personality and mindset.

How to answer inquiries about 'your trip'... What I tell people, "My pilgrimage was a uniquely satisfying and intensely spiritual time, which allowed me to also experience a wonderful country, people, and their cultures.".
I started to do this a couple days ago and plan to keep going. Many thanks.

I would love to have one of my sisters join me one day...both live in Philly area! My time on Camino was so precious and so are my fellow pilgrims. Thank you for your kind words fellow peregrino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jeanne

My daughter has been following people who do the Iditarod dogsled race in Alaska USA. They have similar difficulties. This one chap finds help processing by giving talks in schools.

Hi Jeanne, I'm not sure I have much to add to the wisdom here - except a big I hear 'ya sister. I walked the Frances with my daughter last year and had a very rocky re-entry and I didn't expect it. I was literally disorientated and sometimes would look ahead of me and question which way was up. I would cry at the drop of a hat - the best way I had to describe it to others was grief. I have been a fundraiser for nonprofits my entire career and I think on the camino I touched/glimpsed the world that I've been working towards my whole life, and I found that I LOVED being in nature all day long - and so I can only assume that the tears were grief and joy rolled into one. My heart was broken open on the camino.

I came here to ask if others have gone through it - they have. One piece of advice was to plan another camino. but I felt that was bi-passing what I was experiencing so I decided to ride the wave.

Quote "Only...things feel too much the same. I want things to be different."

Don't worry they are, you are, your experience of the world is - just watch how it unfolds in your life. After a few weeks/months the turmoil in me subsided. In January, I made a big change in my life by buying a house surrounded on three sides by a State Park with an apartment that will let me cover my housing costs by renting out one unit and living in the apartment - so I can camino, hopefully.

Then my daughter was home from school in March and we were curled up watching tv and she said "I miss the Camino" and I heard her yearning - we smiled and agreed to do the Portuguese and we're off in a few weeks.

What helped the most for me is talking with others who have done the camino - I found one in my home town through a hiking group and she understands that yearning for simplicity and more camino - and I hers. Feel free to message me anytime - I can at least listen and have some semblance of understanding.

Hi Jeanne, I'm not sure I have much to add to the wisdom here - except a big I hear 'ya sister. I walked the Frances with my daughter last year and had a very rocky re-entry and I didn't expect it. I was literally disorientated and sometimes would look ahead of me and question which way was up. I would cry at the drop of a hat - the best way I had to describe it to others was grief. I have been a fundraiser for nonprofits my entire career and I think on the camino I touched/glimpsed the world that I've been working towards my whole life, and I found that I LOVED being in nature all day long - and so I can only assume that the tears were grief and joy rolled into one. My heart was broken open on the camino.

I came here to ask if others have gone through it - they have. One piece of advice was to plan another camino. but I felt that was bi-passing what I was experiencing so I decided to ride the wave.

Quote "Only...things feel too much the same. I want things to be different."

Don't worry they are, you are, your experience of the world is - just watch how it unfolds in your life. After a few weeks/months the turmoil in me subsided. In January, I made a big change in my life by buying a house surrounded on three sides by a State Park with an apartment that will let me cover my housing costs by renting out one unit and living in the apartment - so I can camino, hopefully.

Then my daughter was home from school in March and we were curled up watching tv and she said "I miss the Camino" and I heard her yearning - we smiled and agreed to do the Portuguese and we're off in a few weeks.

What helped the most for me is talking with others who have done the camino - I found one in my home town through a hiking group and she understands that yearning for simplicity and more camino - and I hers. Feel free to message me anytime - I can at least listen and have some semblance of understanding.
Thanks for this. This post made me think of other situations where I've felt similarly bereft. For me too it is usually involving being out in nature. I think too planning more walks in your own community after and continuing the training may help. I love that your daughter and you will do another soon. I'm lucky to be going with local friends. We can talk about the Camino with each other ad nauseum when we get back!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jeanne

We deal with it by immediately planning our next one.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.