• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 weeks to Rome

jaksample

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 June
We walked the Frances this past summer but really feel called to walk the VIa Francigena. We will only have about 3 weeks in June '19 this time though. Any ideas on where would be a good place to start? We are not interested in doing the St. Francis because I have children and do not think we are ready for it. The Pyraneese all but killed me on the Frances. We can only do about 20-22 km a day. Since I am paying for 3 people, I really need to focus on as many pilgrim accomidations as possible. Are those easy to find? I am on a teachers salary attempting this. Also, are there cafes to stop throughout the day. I have terrible knees and had to stop about every 2 hours on the Frances and a cafe con leche was always welcomed :) . Thank you for any advice

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked the Frances this past summer but really feel called to walk the VIa Francigena. We will only have about 3 weeks in June '19 this time though. Any ideas on where would be a good place to start? We can only do about 20-22 km a day. Since I am paying for 3 people, I really need to focus on as many pilgrim accomidations as possible. Are those easy to find? I am on a teachers salary attempting this. Also, are there cafes to stop throughout the day. I have terrible knees and had to stop about every 2 hours on the Frances and a cafe con leche was always welcomed :) . Thank you for any advice

Walked the Way of St Francis which is a bit different, but does merge with the Via Francigena . It is nothing like the Camino Frances as far as infrastructure. Many days we walked for hours before seeing anywhere to stop and the two different guidebooks we had were not useful. One definitely needs a GPS. We walked in May & June after a tough winter in Italy, so many of the paths, markers, were washed out. We had mudslides with felled trees, overflowing rushing streams that we has to cross and torrential rains for days. The weather is different every year. A few people we heard from that have walked since, still found it extremely tough to navigate, but some of the paths were cleared and markers restored in areas. It was more expensive than Spain as there really were no 'albergues' and we had to stay in small hotels, B&B's, a random convent/monastery, and farm stays. I recommend you research this extensively. Having said that, I would suggest you begin in LaVerna.

Walked the Way of St Francis which is a bit different, but does merge with the Via Francigena . It is nothing like the Camino Frances as far as infrastructure. Many days we walked for hours before seeing anywhere to stop and the two different guidebooks we had were not useful. One definitely needs a GPS. We walked in May & June after a tough winter in Italy, so many of the paths, markers, were washed out. We had mudslides with felled trees, overflowing rushing streams that we has to cross and torrential rains for days. The weather is different every year. A few people we heard from that have walked since, still found it extremely tough to navigate, but some of the paths were cleared and markers restored in areas. It was more expensive than Spain as there really were no 'albergues' and we had to stay in small hotels, B&B's, a random convent/monastery, and farm stays. I recommend you research this extensively. Having said that, I would suggest you begin in LaVerna.

LaVerna to Rome? Can I do that in 21 days? My 12 and 18 yr old will be with me so I am wondering if thats too dangerous ? My 12 yr old is a klutz !!! LOL

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
LaVerna to Rome? Can I do that in 21 days? My 12 and 18 yr old will be with me so I am wondering if thats too dangerous ? My 12 yr old is a klutz !!! LOL

Perhaps Begin in Gubbio? A few days before Assisi ( Gubbio the place where St Francis befriended the Wolf ) , lots of history and architecture there, beautiful Bascilica, old amphitheater ...nice town to start in with kids. The walk from there was a bit more clearly marked in most spots and about 18 days to Rome. Expect to pay approx 30EU/pp per night. In agriturismos ( farm stays ) you are expected to dine on the farm ( most likely in the middle of nowhere ) and their meals can be 20EU/pp or more. It will give you a few days in Rome to see the Vatican, etc...

We picked up the VF in Sarzana. Coming from Canada we spent the first couple of days acclimatizing in Cinque Terra Park (beautiful) a short train ride to Sarzana. This section of the VF takes you through the countryside and towns of Tuscany ... Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano ...
The days are long as the trail is not straight. The towns at the end of the day are special. We stayed at convents and refugios, hotels. Not the Camino feel of the CF but there are fellow walkers.

We picked up the VF in Sarzana. Coming from Canada we spent the first couple of days acclimatizing in Cinque Terra Park (beautiful) a short train ride to Sarzana. This section of the VF takes you through the countryside and towns of Tuscany ... Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano ...
The days are long as the trail is not straight. The towns at the end of the day are special. We stayed at convents and refugios, hotels. Not the Camino feel of the CF but there are fellow walkers.

Your trail may have been a better choice. Speaking to 'fellow walkers'...we only encountered three separate 'groups' the entire way. A young German guy we named Berlin, who fell and broke his arm alone on the mountain. A couple from Austria who quit after about a week in frustration. And a group of three young adventurers in their 30's-40's who could not believe the terrible terrain and lack of trail markings... I'm speaking specifically about The Way of St Francis, Florence to Assisi to Rome. I hope it does become better developed at some point, but would not ever suggest it to new walkers, solo walkers, those expecting a 'camino experience'.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Navigation should not be a problem. GPS tracks are available for the Via Francigena at the official website. I haven’t actually used them but will next month. Tracks are available for the Way of St Francis from Sandy Brown; his book, the Way of St Francis is available on Amazon, tracks are posted at the site of the publisher, Cicerone Press. Sandy’s website is at www.caminoist.org. The site is very helpful and Sandy is most generous with very sound advice.

We walked the Frances this past summer but really feel called to walk the VIa Francigena. We will only have about 3 weeks in June '19 this time though. Any ideas on where would be a good place to start? We are not interested in doing the St. Francis because I have children and do not think we are ready for it. The Pyraneese all but killed me on the Frances. We can only do about 20-22 km a day. Since I am paying for 3 people, I really need to focus on as many pilgrim accomidations as possible. Are those easy to find? I am on a teachers salary attempting this. Also, are there cafes to stop throughout the day. I have terrible knees and had to stop about every 2 hours on the Frances and a cafe con leche was always welcomed :) . Thank you for any advice
Hi, I walked the francigena in 2016, from Acquapendent to Rome.
I agree signage not so good, and not as frequent as in the Frances.
You need to look carefully, once I found a plastic strip in the red and white markings tied to a tree as signpost..I went in may and had really good weather. The Camino I found more challenging and met small amount of pilgrims but altogether a wonderfull experience.
I loved Bolsena, with the lake and a beach too. On the way to Viterbo, got swimming costume at hand and stopped for a dip in the open air spring pools at Bagniaccio,on the via francigena trail.
lovely memories of the pilgrims I met as the first night I stayed in Aquapendente hostel run by nuns, as I met them again along the path..
I would say take some waterproof sandals if you have ford across water.
Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back