• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 youngs sisters are walking the camino for the first time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This short video (1.4 minute) present 3 youngs sisters that are walking the camino for the first time and are spontaneously cleaning it while walking,

Very positive and inspiring for the future!

Love this! I also walk the Camino with my two sisters :) We are returning again next month! Buen Camino

The description of 3 young sisters had me worried. Turns out they are not that young, they are thirty-ish.
One of them has a webshop and sells eco-things.
From her blog:

To my surprise, the way was overall pretty clean, especially considering the hundreds of people that pass by there every day! Every one of those wanderers can be a potential danger to our environment.

:oops::oops:

The description of 3 young sisters had me worried. Turns out they are not that young, they are thirty-ish.
One of them has a webshop and sells eco-things.
From her blog:
:oops::oops:
I thought this rather inspiring. 30ish is young for this old pagan. Picking up other peoples trash for no other reason than that you want to is a Ditch Pig thing and should earn respect.

Slightly disturbed that as a wanderer I'm an alleged threat to the environment. Tell that to the San or the Sami ;). Meanwhile, thanks to these sisters there is slightly less shite on 150km of the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They need more than a few plastic bags in some places. Due mainly to the lack of public toilets, there are many quiet spots behind trees that are filthy due to human excrement being left on the surface. It’s an unpleasant topic but unless it is addressed this is a problem that will not go away by itself.

I wonder if that is the goal of these women, I somehow doubt it. The first timer is unaware of how awful it is in some places.

They need more than a few plastic bags in some places. Due mainly to the lack of public toilets, there are many quiet spots behind trees that are filthy due to human excrement being left on the surface. It’s an unpleasant topic but unless it is addressed this is a problem that will not go away by itself.

I wonder if that is the goal of these women, I somehow doubt it. The first timer is unaware of how awful it is in some places.
Goal? Goal, why should they have a goal? All they did was pick up other peoples’ Trash. I don’t think they would have picked up other people’s shit, even Ditch Pigs won’t go that far. And they don’t need more than a few plastic bags, they only need the plastic bags they are prepared to carry and fill. When you reach the next village dumpster with your bag full of other peoples’ trash consider your own goals.

Human excrement doesn't belong in land fill sites, so burying the poop needs to be taught.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Goal? Goal, why should they have a goal? All they did was pick up other peoples’ Trash. I don’t think they would have picked up other people’s shit, even Ditch Pigs won’t go that far. And they don’t need more than a few plastic bags, they only need the plastic bags they are prepared to carry and fill. When you reach the next village dumpster with your bag full of other peoples’ trash consider your own goals.

There is a stuctural - or sustainable as the word is nowadays - project for picking up trash along the CF, Norte and Inglés in collaboration with over 400 albergues. It is called "Camino del Reciclaje".

Website here, with an interactive map of the participating albergues:

https://www.caminodelreciclaje.com/

Given that the Caminos have no management of their own, one can only wonder about the number of people and organizations who succeeded in making this happen - and applaud them.

I have no doubt that they are working on the sanitary situation too. That will be a huge and complex operation. Yet I expect it will be solved and maybe even sooner than we think.

100% bang-on.

There is no litter within 200m of my (admittedly very rural) house - because I pick it up. I don’t look for approval or recognition, I have no mission and no goals. I simply don’t want to be surrounded by other people’s rubbish.

If you’re happy living amongst litter, fine - ignore it. You may not have dropped it, it may not be your responsibility - fine - live with it.

I choose not to. I’m pleased that these three women choose not to also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder, if a simple “leave no trace” advisory and sign at usual starting points (SJPP, Pamplona, Sarria, Roncevalles, Lugo, Porto etc...) might accomplish a lot. All one has to do is bring a lightweight plastic trowel and dig a hole....and not throw your garbage on the trail! Every camper follows this rule... might be a challenge for the average touregrino

This short video (1.4 minute) present 3 youngs sisters that are walking the camino for the first time and are spontaneously cleaning it while walking,

Well done guys. Super idea and great work. I always found it easy to carry my own trash (not a lot if its just your own) and deposit it in the bin in the next village/town.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

What a fantastic idea! Can we start a list of do-s and don’t to clean up the path that we all love so much but also seem to be making increasingly grotty?

This is an excellent video, idea and practice. If only one in 20 pilgrims practiced this, the Camino routes would be spotless. Moreover, if the remaining 19 pilgrims would refrain from littering in the first place, the Camino routes would be very clean indeed...

I echo my friend Don's admonition about wearing gloves. Having spent a week with him, and others from this forum, as a ditch pig...ewwww! I am certain there were other items picked up by these three women that could not be filmed...

However, IMHO, the foldable picker-upper claw I obtained through Amazon was fabulous. They are not expensive, carry easily on one side of your rucksack when not needed, and are ideal for picking up everything without bending over, or stooping.

Hope his helps

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back