• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 Camino Paintings in 30 Days

catherinemccoy

Catherine McCoy
Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
View media item 2085Hello Camino Forum Members. I am a watercolour artist in Canada and starting for the month of December I will be painting 30 Camino de Santiago picture.... one each day. I have several photographs of my own, but unfortunately many don't have good light. My request is, if you have any Camino 'Landmark' photos taken on a sunny day with good shadows, and would not mind sharing them for reference I would very much appreciate it. I will be posting my finished paintings in my Camino Watercolour photo album. Feel free to message me and I will give you my email address. Thanks!
Catherine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View media item 2085Hello Camino Forum Members. I am a watercolour artist in Canada and starting for the month of December I will be painting 30 Camino de Santiago picture.... one each day. I have several photographs of my own, but unfortunately many don't have good light. My request is, if you have any Camino 'Landmark' photos taken on a sunny day with good shadows, and would not mind sharing them for reference I would very much appreciate it. I will be posting my finished paintings in my Camino Watercolour photo album. Feel free to message me and I will give you my email address. Thanks!
Catherine
Do you want them from CF or other camino? You will find a link to my CF/Fisterra/Inglés photos in my signature. For camino san Salvador and Primitivo just go to https://plus.google.com/photos/+BéatriceKarjalainen/albums and search for camino on the page and you will find other albums. I'll add camino Portugues as soon as back home. I have a lot of photos from that one at Instagram http://instagram.com/beastankar (i will have them uncropped in the album later)

But I'm not sure how many landmarks I captured.

Feel free to use them as you please. A note if you use any would be appreciated.

Good luck with your project.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Catherine, I look forward to seeing your paintings - my sketchbook is prepared and ready to go when I walk again in less a month.

Please feel free to use any of my photos from the CF in my flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/wild-place/sets/72157637985408173 for reference - there are not too many from my last couple of weeks walking as there was so much rain my camera stayed firmly packed away for most of the time! Will message you seperately as well.

Strangely it was walking the camino last time that got me back into sketching after a long break - probably because the scenery was so inspiring! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Catherine, I look forward to seeing your paintings - my sketchbook is prepared and ready to go when I walk again in less a month.

Please feel free to use any of my photos from the CF in my flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/wild-place/sets/72157637985408173 for reference - there are not too many from my last couple of weeks walking as there was so much rain my camera stayed firmly packed away for most of the time! Will message you seperately as well.

Strangely it was walking the camino last time that got me back into sketching after a long break - probably because the scenery was so inspiring! :)

Thanks for the link! You're picture are really great. There are definitely a couple I'd like to use

Day 1 of my 30 Day Camino Art Challenge and I have chosen to do a self portrait. Over the Pyrenees.
day-1-over-the-pyrenees-a-self-portrait.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you want them from CF or other camino? You will find a link to my CF/Fisterra/Inglés photos in my signature. For camino san Salvador and Primitivo just go to https://plus.google.com/photos/+BéatriceKarjalainen/albums and search for camino on the page and you will find other albums. I'll add camino Portugues as soon as back home. I have a lot of photos from that one at Instagram http://instagram.com/beastankar (i will have them uncropped in the album later)

But I'm not sure how many landmarks I captured.

Feel free to use them as you please. A note if you use any would be appreciated.

Good luck with your project.
Hi Beatrice,
Visited your albums. Nice pics!
Sony Alpha ILCE-6000; that's your camera?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Loving your paintings Catherine, very atmospheric - I can almost feel the warm sunshine :) and they are increasing my anticipation as one week today I leave SJPP for my second camino!

P.S. I'm travelling with a friend who is a mixed-media artist, we keep talking about a collaboration, her art, my photography. Will see how it goes...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beautiful, Catherine! There seems to be so much joy and optimism in your paintings. They are increasing my anticipation as well, as I think your 30 days will finish right about when I leave for my first Camino. Happy prelude! Bala

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 12 of 30 Day Art Challenge. After walking 8 km along the beautiful Canal de Castilla I walked along a very straight flat road for hours. I could see a barn with a red roof in the distance and kept thinking I was almost there..... but it never seemed to get any closer. It was very hot and I remember reaching the red barn as a big accomplishment.
long-trek-to-ledogos.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 13 of Camino Art Challenge. As I walked into Moratinos the site that 1st caught my eye was the little doorways in the side of the hill. Had I walked into a fairytale land and were they hobbit houses? I discovered they were called Bodegas and used to store wine within the cool earth.
moratinos.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope you had Time ....
To sample the Wine.

(sorry - that's the best I can do)

This colour painting with the sheep is really lovely . Did you count them? :);)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Catherine, I am loving your paintings and have bookmarked so I can find at any time, I'm off tomorrow so i will catch up and 'like' when I get wi-fi.
Keep up the good work this is my favourite thread! :)
Sarah

Hi Catherine, I am loving your paintings and have bookmarked so I can find at any time, I'm off tomorrow so i will catch up and 'like' when I get wi-fi.
Keep up the good work this is my favourite thread! :)
Sarah
Thanks so much Sarah and for following along with my adventure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Day 13 of Camino Art Challenge. As I walked into Moratinos the site that 1st caught my eye was the little doorways in the side of the hill. Had I walked into a fairytale land and were they hobbit houses? I discovered they were called Bodegas and used to store wine within the cool earth.
moratinos.jpg
love your paintings,they even bring back the warmth i was feeling ,also the long long road by the canal i was enjoying walking slow but feeling a little tired,, i remembered it well looking at your painting,have you something that can help me look back on that dreaded roman road with a better outlook ? minus the horrid flys and just shrub,under the hot sun,,:)

Remember this yellow house very well...and the endless straight road that follows once the village is left behind.
You 'capture' the spirit of the places you paint very well, Catherine. Wonderful.
Thanks very much for joining me Viranani

love your paintings,they even bring back the warmth i was feeling ,also the long long road by the canal i was enjoying walking slow but feeling a little tired,, i remembered it well looking at your painting,have you something that can help me look back on that dreaded roman road with a better outlook ? minus the horrid flys and just shrub,under the hot sun,,:)
Thanks Jennie and I remember it well. Felt like I was going to die a couple of times!!

I am enjoying the paintings. The albergue in Villares de Orbigo is one of the good ones; good enough that I have skipped the equally good ones (Karl Leisner and San Miguel) in Hospital three times! I think it has new owners who I hope will keep up the hospitality.:)

I am enjoying the paintings. The albergue in Villares de Orbigo is one of the good ones; good enough that I have skipped the equally good ones (Karl Leisner and San Miguel) in Hospital three times! I think it has new owners who I hope will keep up the hospitality.:)
Yes! and the wonderful washrooms with toilet paper, paper towel, and soap! ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very nice work Catherine, are you planning to have an open showing at some point so to be able to see the pictures in a gallery perhaps.

Very nice work Catherine, are you planning to have an open showing at some point so to be able to see the pictures in a gallery perhaps.
Had not made any plans like that Christian. I see you live very close to me! Right now they are all on my website.... catherinemccoy.com. Thanks for the compliment :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Day 23 of 30 Art Challenge. As I was walking in Villafranca I passed what looked like a funny little house. As first I thought, "who could live there?"
And then I realized that the rest of the house was down the side of the steep hill.
It was very old and like something out of a fairytale, making me ask so many questions.

rooftop-on-the-hill.jpg

Remember that one too. Beautiful...thanks again, Catherine.
And quite the challenge! I hope you have time to eat and sleep.;)
Thanks! I will admit.... it's been a busy month and I will be taking a break for a few days when it's over ;)

Day 25 of my 30 Day Art Challenge. To reach O Cebreiro was something of a momentous occasion. That day I was prepared for the trek up the mountain by sending my backpack ahead to the Alberque by the pack courier.
When I finally arrived I remember feeling so happy and thinking 'now we start down the mountian'.
I was very wrong.... the steepest climbs were yet to come ... up, up, up, it seemed for hours, until I reached the highest point of the Camino.

o-cebreiro-waymarker.jpg

K. 151 - A beautiful display. Catherine, when I walk next year the "O Cebreiro" I will certainly think of you !:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I often wonder, when seeing abandoned boots - what did the owner do? How did they continue?
Personally, I find it hard to dispose of old, worn out boots. They are like old friends. They have stories to tell.

This is becoming a favourite thread. Thanks for posting it.
Biff

I often wonder, when seeing abandoned boots - what did the owner do? How did they continue?
Personally, I find it hard to dispose of old, worn out boots. They are like old friends. They have stories to tell.

This is becoming a favourite thread. Thanks for posting it.
Biff
Thanks for following along Biff!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 27 of 30 Day Art Challenge. This is Life on the Camino. I recall this moment being one of the most serene of my life. The church bells ringing in the distance, herder bringing the cows in after a day in the field, the young Italian pilgrim soaking in some sun. I wanted it to last forever. Ventas de Naron .. about 10 km before Palas de Rei.

life-on-the-camino-de-santiago.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I believe that the church in your Day 27 painting is Santa Maria de Ferreiros in Ferreiros/Paradela.

Last edited:
I believe that the church in your Day 27 painting is Santa Maria de Ferreiros in Ferreiros/Paradela.
Thanks mspath.... I spent some more time trying to figure this out and I've got it! It's Ventas de Naron .. about 10 km before Palas de Rei.

I got your note.

My sister is a very fine artist, and I recall many happy moments watching her paint and draw--when we were children.

I love art, and got just a bit of the artistic ability, but mostly musical (I play piano). Your gift is wonderful.

Day 29 of 30 Day Art Challenge. The #1 highlight of arriving at Santiago (besides just the fact that I arrived!) was seeing the Botafumiero swing overhead in the beautiful Cathedral de Santiago. It's not used everytime and I had to go to mass 3 times before seeing it, but it was worth it.

botafumeiro-of-santiago.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.