• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 Days From Today......

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

.... I will be wheels up from East Wenatchee, WA on my way to St. Jean. Wow. It didn't seem so long ago that it was a good 6 months away from starting my pilgrimage. Most everything is ready to go; all that I'm doing now is simply fiddling and tweaking, and tweaking and fiddling, along with some pre-conditioning backpacking trips and daily hikes. The ankle is doing terrific, and all of my backpacking and hiking are done with careful attention as I get the ankle into good condition. No pounding or extremely fast pace while on the trail and path.

[Please note that the comments below are not an endorsement. Each individual's feet are different, therefore it is not reasonable to expect the same exact results that I, or anyone else, might have.]

I've changed my shoes to a New Balance 910v3 and have added third party insoles which I have modified. The NB 910's are a neutral motion control trail running shoe, less aggressive in pronation control but with a good, wide and stable outsole which exerts adequate control overall.

These shoes also contain a new generation of Gortex fabric., which I have tested thoroughly in heavy rain conditions and with trails overflowing. They do keep out water when wearing a lightweight waterproof ankle high gaiter to keep water from going into the tops of the shoes. More amazing to me is that when I've been hiking in the desert heat on trails near my home, my feet have stayed dry and not hot at all, even after 15 or so miles. I use a light-padded Smartwool Phd crew sock. Neither the sock or the shoe has had more sweat dampness than any of my other trail shoes.

I didn't buy the NB 910's for the Goretex; in fact I always avoided the older generation Goretex-lined shoes. But this was the only pair in stock in the extra wide width I needed in my size. I took a chance. After a good 90 miles in these things, I'm pleased with their performance. I've actually ordered a second pair of the same variation of 910's. I'll start wearing those in a week or so to just give that pair enough time to 'conform' to my feet as my Camino shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glad to hear things are going well. Finding just the right shoes is very tricky, at least for me. Listening to your body and then doing what it tells you is important.
I am at 21 days from getting on the plane (s). Hard to believe the walk I have trained for, shopped for, packed for is just 3 weeks away.

.... I will be wheels up from East Wenatchee, WA on my way to St. Jean. Wow. It didn't seem so long ago that it was a good 6 months away from starting my pilgrimage. Most everything is ready to go; all that I'm doing now is simply fiddling and tweaking, and tweaking and fiddling, along with some pre-conditioning backpacking trips and daily hikes. The ankle is doing terrific, and all of my backpacking and hiking are done with careful attention as I get the ankle into good condition. No pounding or extremely fast pace while on the trail and path.

[Please note that the comments below are not an endorsement. Each individual's feet are different, therefore it is not reasonable to expect the same exact results that I, or anyone else, might have.]

I've changed my shoes to a New Balance 910v3 and have added third party insoles which I have modified. The NB 910's are a neutral motion control trail running shoe, less aggressive in pronation control but with a good, wide and stable outsole which exerts adequate control overall.

These shoes also contain a new generation of Gortex fabric., which I have tested thoroughly in heavy rain conditions and with trails overflowing. They do keep out water when wearing a lightweight waterproof ankle high gaiter to keep water from going into the tops of the shoes. More amazing to me is that when I've been hiking in the desert heat on trails near my home, my feet have stayed dry and not hot at all, even after 15 or so miles. I use a light-padded Smartwool Phd crew sock. Neither the sock or the shoe has had more sweat dampness than any of my other trail shoes.

I didn't buy the NB 910's for the Goretex; in fact I always avoided the older generation Goretex-lined shoes. But this was the only pair in stock in the extra wide width I needed in my size. I took a chance. After a good 90 miles in these things, I'm pleased with their performance. I've actually ordered a second pair of the same variation of 910's. I'll start wearing those in a week or so to just give that pair enough time to 'conform' to my feet as my Camino shoes.
I wish you well on your upcoming Camino that is practically just around the corner! I have enjoyed reading your posts/comments over the past months as you shared your knowledge in other types of backpacking. I'm sure your Camino experience will be a whole new ball game....enjoy! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dave:

My wife and I might see you as we strike off from SJPP on Sunday, September 10 with a planned first night booked on the Way at Orisson. Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buen Camino, I'm glad you got your shoe and ankle issues sorted.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Dave,
Glad to here that your ankle is doing better! Sounds like you're ready to go... Thanks for the info on NB I'll check out the 910 always searching for a supportive shoe. Buen Camino enjoy your journey!
Micah

Thank you all for your wishes and thoughts. For those who will be on Camino near the same time, perhaps we'll see each other. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back