• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 days need to go SLOW. Where to start?

audge

Time of past OR future Camino
june 2013
Hi All,
After postponing my trip because of an old ankle injury flare up, I have decided to go the middle of Aug to Sept. I will have 30 days on the ground in Spain. I will need to take it slowly, and I want to rest some days as well. I was thinking of starting in Pamplona, but that may be pushing it.
Any suggestions on where to start for a fairly slow person with 30 days? I realize I have no idea how many miles/Km I will be doing a day until I try, but any suggestions are welcome.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

Yes Pamplona might be pushing it a bit if you also want rest days. However you could catch the bus for part of the way to make up time.

Logrono or Burgos both strike me as good starting points, as thry're well connected so easy to get to. Burgos might be slightly too short for 30 days, but you can always continue on to Finisterre by foot or bus if you end up walking faster than expected.

Buen Camino!

How slow is slow? Do you have an idea of how many kilometers you would like to aim for per day?

Logroño is approximateley 600 kilometers from Santiago, whereas Burgos is more like 500 kilometers.

So you would need to average 22+ kilometers a day to start in Logroño taking 3 rest days, and 18.5+km if starting in Burgos. To average 15 kilometers (plus 3 rest days), you could start in Frómista and walk 400 kilometers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola audge,
From your description I think Pamplona would be "pushing it". Burgos would probably be a good choice (as suggested by others) and I think giving you room for your rest/sightseeing days. Burgos has good things to see and Leon is a wonderful place for a break. A downside for some might be heading out of Burgos straight into the Meseta, I actually think the Meseta is a great part of the camino, but others find it less so. Some with time restrictions Walk SJPP - Burgos, skip the Meseta with transport to Leon, Then Leon SDC. Just some thoughts.
Buen Camino
Colin

Thanks folks,
Everyone is so wonderfully helpful.
I really had my heart set on Pamplona, but I don't want to stress about time. I actually may be able to squeeze in an extra 2 or 3 days. Would that make a difference?
I am not extremely slow, I just don't know how many miles/Km a day I will be able to walk yet. And I do want to have the option of rest days.
I don't think I have ever walked more than 10 miles in a stretch. I have a couple of months before I go to build up, but need to be careful not to push because of my ankle.
I guess I need to decide whether to skip a part, or start further west like Burgos or Lograno.
I welcome any more thoughts. Especially about skipping or starting further west.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just see how you feel. Walking slowly may mean walking shorter than average distances each day, or may mean arriving at 4pm in the same place as most others arrived at 1pm. Or a mix of the two. You'll find your rhythm. Buen Camino! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
audge said:
I guess I need to decide whether to skip a part, or start further west like Burgos or Lograno. I welcome any more thoughts. Especially about skipping or starting further west.
I understand the feeling of being drawn to start in a particular place but sometimes it's just not practicable. Feeling like you have to rush or push yourself to walk further than is comfortable has the potential to mar the experience. Why not save yourself the stress and just start in Burgos or Logrono as has already been suggested? You can then relax and walk at your own pace.

If it happens that you arrive in SDC earlier than you anticipated, you will have time to truly savour it and catch up with the pilgrims you met and lost along the way.

Would you be willing to hop on a bus if you're not making "good enough" time? You could always start in Pamplona, then if you need to, take the bus from Leon to Astorga (or any other combination of places)

Kiwi-family said:
Would you be willing to hop on a bus if you're not making "good enough" time? You could always start in Pamplona, then if you need to, take the bus from Leon to Astorga (or any other combination of places)

I agree , this is the way to do it. Start in Pamplona and every now and then catch a bus for 30km or so to keep you on schedule. This way you will also keep in touch with the same camino Buddies you make in the first few days. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks,
Can one take the bus from most places, or just the big cities?
And, Speaking of Camino Buddies. As I am traveling alone, that is something I look forward to. Are there some starting places that I am more likely to meet "buddies" than others? Especially if I don't start in SJ

Hi Audge,

Apart from the physical challenge from starting in Pamplona (due to the bad condition of your ankle), you might also want to consider a place somewhere closer to Santiago to avoid walking "against the clock". I believe you'll much more enjoy your camino if you forget time and can do whatever you want to do. If you like a place, you stay, for example, even if you've only walked a few miles. If you do not care about taking a bus; you can forget this argument.

Now your questions:
From/to most small towns there are busses to and from the big cities, but they travel only a few times or even once a day. You'll have to ask the locals how late and where the bus will arrive. Bus-stops in Spain aren't always recognizable.

It's never to late to make camino buddies; most of the friends I made on the camino, I didn't meet in SJPP. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as you are open to other people, you'll sure make friends.

Don't worry, as long as you listen to your body, you'll be allright. Buen camino!

Hi Audge

I just completed SJPP to Logrono... heading back in September to continue for another 10 days (work restrictions!) ... BUT if you have a desire to start in Pamplona I would say DO IT! It is a beautiful city and the walk from Pamplona to Logrono is quite beautiful, apart from one climb and a slippery decent on rocks (the day out of Pamplona),most of it easy walking. I would start in Pamplona and then as others have suggested get the bus every now and then (lots of people seem to do that)... there are no rules. If your heart says Pamplona, I think there is a reason you should go! :!: Whatever you do, you will have an amazing time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the encouragement. I may be able to squeeze a few more days out of my trip, so Pamplona may work out after all. Like so many others, I just want to go with the flow and take my time, stop and smell the grape vines, but I have a time limit and a challenged foot. I am determined though. My heart and mind are there, my body will somehow follow.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back