• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 days or longer?

Jac Jac Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
19/05/2013
Hi everybody,
I've booked my el camino trip for may this year. I'm travelling from Australia. Have I booked enough time to complete the walk of st James from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela?
Will this be an enjoyable walk in 30 days or a treacherous, rushed trek?
I'm packing nice and light, didn't plan on taking trekking poles, and have been told this time of year will be quiet pretty.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thirty days will make you work! Many do it in that amount of time. Starting in May I think you will find it busy, particularly at the end. The Spanish will be out to beat the June and July rush. There will always be a bed, so don't worry about that. However, if you are walking long days, you will find places full sometimes after 4 p.m. Just move on to the next place.

Buen camino.

If you are fit, and have no injuries along the way to hold you up.... You probably won't get any rest days, or short days.. But if you find you are running short of time, there is always the option of taking some transport to get ahead again. Plenty of people do it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would agree with falcon. allow 34/35 days and you will still have long enough days but short ones also giving you time to enjoy the Camino and maybe even a rest day thrown in. Its a long way to come from Oz so why rush it. I would advise buying poles in St Jean before you start, you will need them on the way, you can always post them home when you finish or give them away.
Have a great Camino.

On my second Camno I walked from Saint Jean PdP to Saintiago in 30 days and took another four days to walk to Finisterre via Muxia. It was a steady march and not impossible to do if you willing to walk a few long days. However there is little room for slack time or should you get sick, so adding a day or two might make sense.

All in with travel time there and back within Europe plus a couple days in Santiago I took 39 days. If you coming from Australia, I might suggest adding a day or two to get over the jet lag.

Cheers mate

If you're worried about not feeling too rushed, you could consider starting in Pamplona instead. It's definitely possible to walk from SJPP in 30 days, and many people do it, but for myself I would start further on to give myself cushion days incase of injury, sickness or just not feeling like rushing. It took me 32 days last time from SJPP and it was a comfortable pace.

Buen camino,
Lindsey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
lindseh said:
If you're worried about not feeling too rushed, you could consider starting in Pamplona instead.
Agreed, especially if you're flying into Madrid rather than Paris. Buen Camino!

That's enough time for walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago. However, it doesn't give you any allowance for spending time in Santiago at the end or, for that matter, along the way if a particular place takes your fancy. The advantage of adding a few days is that you don't have to rush. You will probably still walk it in the same amount of time but you would do it in a more relaxed way.

It's good to spend a few days in Santiago so you have an opportunity to catch up with people you've met along the way - both those who arrived before you and those who arrive a day or two after you.

It would be better if you can manage to make it 35 days. If you end up with loads of time left, you can always go to Muxia or Finisterre.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Jac,

I walked the Camino in 31 days 2 years ago. I didn't rush it or push myself particularly hard. I still had plenty of time to see everything and had a really enjoyable time; it just meant no rest days. You'll have to do a number of longer days (30km or so) but that should be ok after a few weeks on the road. I think the best places to make up an extra day or two is in the meseta between Burgos and Leon or in the latter stages after Triacastela.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Chris

Remember that you have a whopping jet-lag to dominate. That can really put you out of wack, probably because you won't get the correct sleep each night and this will probably catch up with you in a few days. Take heed of the various advice written here and, either allow yourself at least 5 days more, or start say from Pamplona. I would also advise you to take private accommodation for your first night so that you can try and adjust to your new timetable at your pace and not with a load of eager Pilgrims all trying to set out early in the morning. Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the following timeline in mind to start my trip... I would love for the experts to weigh in!

Current timeline thoughts:
- 1 April 2014 - depart SFO (flight booked)
- 2 April 2014 - arrive in Madrid in the late afternoon
- 3 April to 5 April 2014 - make way from Madrid to SJPP via Pamplona (see Pamplona, get over jet lag)
- 6 April 2014 - start Camino: SJPP to Roncevalles
- 10 May 2014 - depart Madrid (flight booked)

I'm considering trying to end up in Finisterre and then spending a couple of days in Madrid before heading back to US.
My math doesn't really add up! (I don't think!)
Would love your thoughts!

Cheers!
Theresa

I have the following timeline in mind to start my trip... I would love for the experts to weigh in!

- 3 April to 5 April 2014 - make way from Madrid to SJPP via Pamplona (see Pamplona, get over jet lag)

I'm considering trying to end up in Finisterre and then spending a couple of days in Madrid before heading back to US.

Cheers!
Theresa

It is possible to get from Fisterra to Santiago (bus) and Santiago to Madrid (train) in one long day.

If you depart Santiago for Madrid on 9 May you have 33 days to walk.

Brierley in his guide book recommends at least 35 days from SJPdP to Santiago and 4 days more to walk to Fisterra (plus a day to walk around Cabo Finisterre).

Its possible to walk the distance ... 880 km ... in 33 days (27 km per day) ... but I would ask why?

Si yo fuera tu ... decide where you want to finish walking. Plan to walk 20km per day (average) or total 660 km (take off 20km for every day you want to spend in Madrid) And then determine what your starting point is ... Pamplona (for example) is 725 km from Santiago and 805 km from Fisterra. Logrono (the next transportation hub) is 625 km from Santiago and 705 from Fisterra. The next transportation hub is Burgos ... etc.

So, I would be pushing it! I originally booked the trip thinking 40 days was plenty. Frankly, I booked it in a moment of needing to take action to show myself commitment to this great journey. Since then, I have realized that with travel from Madrid to starting point and acclimation to time zone I may have actually given myself a tight window. I like your question, "Why?" and will consider where it feels important for me to begin and end.

I will look continue to listen and to see what the experience is like in Finisterre. I liked the idea of walking to what was once considered the end of the world (I read that somewhere, don't recall where)... and I like the idea of starting in France. I also want to create ease and flow throughout my walk so the idea of pushing it (27 km per day) doesn't appeal to me. I can't have it all - lesson 1 of my pilgrimage? Slow down and enjoy what is?

I will continue to listen to those who have gone before me... thank you!

You can certainly do it. Many do. I was so happy, however, to have more time so I could explore Spain a bit and didn't HAVE to walk when my blisters were so bad. If you have the luxury of a little more time, I would certainly encourage you to take it. Pressure is not something you want to take with you on the Camino. I took 47 days and I wouldn't have wanted it any shorter.
My Camino: http://www.roamfarandwide.com/camino-de-santiago-posts-day-by-day-index/

I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 33 days back in 2012. I could have done it in 30 days, but I think it would have felt like a bit of a race if I had adopted that pace. As it was, some of the friends I made along the Way would say to me almost on a daily basis "Man, why are you rushing? Smell the flowers! Have a picnic!" I didn't feel like I was rushing, but I did come to realise at a certain point that I enjoyed the physical challenge and so I pushed myself. It wasn't necessarily about making extra kilometres, but I did become motivated by trying to cover my ground for the day by early afternoon, so it was often the case that my friends would stroll up at an albergue at 5pm having smelled every flower along the route, as I would be starting into my second beer of the evening, having showered and washed clothes etc. My system worked for me and others found what worked for them.

Back to the core question, I know some people do it in 30 days and less, so it's certainly possible. My own strategy was to take it reasonably easy for the first week, so as to allow my body to adjust to the experience. I could have probably been the equivalent of a day or two further down the track than I was by, say, day 10, but it worked for me. Why? I was relatively injury and blister free and stayed that way for the duration. The 30 km+ days come relatively easily once you've fully adjusted to the experience. The stories you hear suggest that a lot of the injuries that people pick up are a function of having been over-enthusiastic at the beginning and covering too much ground in the first few days. If you set yourself a target like 30 days, you will have little choice but to walk hard right from the beginning, and your body may something to say about that down the line.

Thank you so much everyone. I think it will be a fantastic experience.

Hi Jac Jac,
You will spend very close to 2 days travelling from your home to St. JPDP...add the hours up mate from when you leave your front door.
Why is the need to spend 30 days walking , why not 33-37
Are you intending to see Pamplona ? ...many mates your age from Oz stay there a week and run with the bulls...why not a day or two?
Why not discover the cities of Logrono ,Burgos and Leon and have a short day in the Galician mountains....there are lovely villages to put the feet up.

Its all there for you to discover Jac Jac but you and i must wonder when we see / hear people saying they say Oz in a week, fortnight, month.
I could not discover USA in the above times and we have the same area.

** You are going to enjoy a country , its people and its scenery ...............why on Gods earth have a time limit.
There is only one place we are heading and i'm really trying to get there very...very slowly.

Have a great camino, the weather will be variable and the company wonderful.
Walk to Muxia and please buy poles in St Jean.... leave them on the coast.

David

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Cheers!
Theresa

Theresa:

I think your plan is good but you might want to consider traveling straight through to Pamplona on April 2nd if you arrive in the morning. If you do there is a private Albergue that will pick you up, provide a room, feed you and transport the next day to SJPdP. Then spend another day or two before starting out on your journey, possibly even April 5th. Thirty three days is enough time to walk the Frances. That is 24km's or 15 miles a day. I suggest you start slowly, listen to locals regarding weather, pack light and let the Camino dictate the rest. There are many sections on the Meseta where you will probably be able to walk longer distances. Just let weather and you body be your guide as to pace and distance each day. I have walked this season the last four years. The weather can be very unpredictable.

Ultreya,
Joe

PS: You might even have time to go to Finisterre

Hi everybody,
I've booked my el camino trip for may this year. I'm travelling from Australia. Have I booked enough time to complete the walk of st James from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela?
I'm packing nice and light, didn't plan on taking trekking poles, and have been told this time of year will be quiet pretty.

Jac Jac:

Thirty days can be enough time. The Meseta offers a number of opportunities for longer days. Start slow, ease your body into walking condition and let the Camino be your guide. I am sure all will go well.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you really have your heart set on Finisterre and/or seeing Madrid, there's always the option of taking the bus for a section somewhere in the middle of the Frances to pick up a few days that you can use for that purpose. This would alleviate the temptation to walk too fast/too much and risk injury. You want to enjoy and open yourself up the to experience, not focus on time pressures. You will decide what is right for you.
Have a wonderful camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Theresa:

I think your plan is good but you might want to consider traveling straight through to Pamplona on April 2nd if you arrive in the morning. If you do there is a private Albergue that will pick you up, provide a room, feed you and transport the next day to SJPdP. Then spend another day or two before starting out on your journey, possibly even April 5th. Thirty three days is enough time to walk the Frances. That is 24km's or 15 miles a day. I suggest you start slowly, listen to locals regarding weather, pack light and let the Camino dictate the rest. There are many sections on the Meseta where you will probably be able to walk longer distances. Just let weather and you body be your guide as to pace and distance each day. I have walked this season the last four years. The weather can be very unpredictable.

Ultreya,
Joe

PS: You might even have time to go to Finisterre

Gracias, Joe!

I have been excited and mulling over the first few days of my trip. I agree with you and I would like to get to Pamplona on 2 April. I arrive in Madrid ~16:00 so couldn't arrive in Pamplona until ~23:00 (train).

I've asked Corazon Puro, www.corazonpuro.es, who provides dinner, bed, breakfast, and transport from Pamplona to SJPP to pilgrims, if ~23:00 is too late in the evening for a pickup. If they are able to retrieve me in Pamplona, I'll be in SJPP on 3 April and could begin my trek on 4 April or 5 April.

33 days at 24km or 15miles per day - bien! I'm fairly fit, have some backpacking experience, and am currently training for a half marathon - I look forward to feeling strong and taking care of my body (and my feet!!!)... and listening to the locals, weather, and such.

And I would love to see Finisterre!

Thank you again so much!
Theresa

Since your time is more limited, I like the suggestion of starting in Pamploma. Please buy hiking poles, especially since you will be walking a little faster than most - you don't want to have to slow down or change your plans due to unusual discomfort or injury. An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.
Buen Camino!

T - Rex,
I recommend starting in Pamplona and walk to Muxia as well as Finisterre.
Short day after arrival , after seeing the morning Pamplona and buying sticks you have 2 stops within 10km to spend the night.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you. I've received confirmation that Corazon Puro, http://www.corazonpuro.es, will be able to pick me up on 2 April 2014. I will be in SJPP on 3 April 2014 and will

Here is my updated timeline based on what I've learned in the last day:
- 2 April - arrive in Madrid, travel to Pamplona, and stay at Corazon Puro.
- 3 April - arrive in SJPP and spend the day acclimating, handling a few odds and ends (passport, knife, etc), and meeting pilgrims!
- 4 April - Day 1: begin walk to Roncevalles (on my last trip from US to Europe, the 2nd morning was where I felt the most jet lag, so this is a goal)
- 5 April - Day 2..
- 4 May - Day 31: Santiago de Compostella
- 7 May - Day 34: Finisterre (if my body, the weather, and the camino permit!)
- 8 May - All day travel back to Madrid
- 9 May - Day in Madrid
- 10 May - Fly back to US

Part of the fun is the constant change! I have no illusions that I can lock into any schedule or make anything happen! :)

If the Pyrenees are covered in snow and walking over them isn't an option, I may opt to begin in Pamplona... it's all up in the air! I love it!

Thank you. I've received confirmation that Corazon Puro, http://www.corazonpuro.es, will be able to pick me up on 2 April 2014. I will be in SJPP on 3 April 2014 and will

Here is my updated timeline based on what I've learned in the last day:
- 2 April - arrive in Madrid, travel to Pamplona, and stay at Corazon Puro.
- 3 April - arrive in SJPP and spend the day acclimating, handling a few odds and ends (passport, knife, etc), and meeting pilgrims!
- 4 April - Day 1: begin walk to Roncevalles (on my last trip from US to Europe, the 2nd morning was where I felt the most jet lag, so this is a goal)
- 5 April - Day 2..
- 4 May - Day 31: Santiago de Compostella
- 7 May - Day 34: Finisterre (if my body, the weather, and the camino permit!)
- 8 May - All day travel back to Madrid
- 9 May - Day in Madrid
- 10 May - Fly back to US

Part of the fun is the constant change! I have no illusions that I can lock into any schedule or make anything happen! :)

If the Pyrenees are covered in snow and walking over them isn't an option, I may opt to begin in Pamplona... it's all up in the air! I love it!

Theresa:

Plans are great. That said, making something fit a plan can be very stressful. If I could make a suggestion, once you get to SJPdP, just go with the flow of the Camino. Everything from that point will be fine.

Ultreya,
Joe

I did SJPdP-SdC in 23 days without feeling any stress at all just pure joy of walking, meeting others, photographing, visiting masses etc... I then took it slow out to Fisterra 3 days, 1 day to Muxía and 2 days back to SdC. Total 29 days and then 4 days on Camino Inglés. But I had perfect weather all the time.

Edit: changed 27 to 23. A typo.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
T-Rex (wish I could think of handles like that) - schedule looks good. Consider overnighting at Orisson out of St Jean PdP. See other posts recommending that.
As you probably know, there is a good bus service from Santiago to Finisterre. Long ride, but beautiful coastal scenery in good weather. In fact the country looked so good we wished we had walked it. And by that time we were match fit and could have done it easily. Instead we wimped out and went on the bus. Kept excusing ourselves by saying we had too little time before our flight out.
Saw post above by Beatrice. I am in awe of the way those Swedes can walk!

I am in awe of those who can walk the whole Camino in such a short time! Do you ever get tired? I’m leaving SJPdP on May 14th and walking into Santiago on June 25th. That’s 43 days! But then I’m older than dirt, have creaky knees and so on and so forth.

The perfect time frame , you will see and experience much in the villages/towns/cities.
Magnesium for the knees mate and have a wonderful walk.
David

The perfect time frame , you will see and experience much in the villages/towns/cities.
Magnesium for the knees mate and have a wonderful walk.
David

Magnesium? For the knees? I’ll look into that, surely I will. And thank you for the good wishes.

Hi everybody,
Hi Jac Jac,, dont know if you have started the camino yet,but you should be able to do the walk in 30 days,the first few days may be slow, but you will get a lot faster and fitter as you go,I did it back in 2010 in 37 days,but started in Lourdes,and had a rest day in Burgos, mind you I was younger then than now only 65, good luck,I am going back for another go late June,,you may just be getting near the end,as I start.

Hi everybody,
Hi, you can do it in 30 day's but when something happens you have to make longer walkes per day and no rest day's. When I 'm finish my Camino in about 2,5 weeks i did it in 37 day's nice and easy. Plenty of time to do some site seeing in the places you visit. But this is my opinion. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

€83,-
Hey, pilgrims this thread was started in March of 2013. That does not take away from the subject and personally I would plan on 40 days to allow for injuries, rest days, rain and getting to know Santiago and some other places along the way.

Hey, pilgrims this thread was started in March of 2013. That does not take away from the subject and personally I would plan on 40 days to allow for injuries, rest days, rain and getting to know Santiago and some other places along the way.

A lot of water under the bridge in the last 2 and a half years Biarritzdon.
Could be still up there.
I love the 40-45 days to the coast and a holiday after and during.
Long way to travel on a time frame.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lot of water under the bridge in the last 2 and a half years Biarritzdon.
Could be still up there.
I love the 40-45 days to the coast and a holiday after and during.
Long way to travel on a time frame.

Thornley, would taking more than 45 days be advised? I plan to go on to Finnesterre (sp?). I am booking my flight very soon. My time is not limited as I am retired.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We did it from Pamplona in 31 (so add 3 for St Jean Pied de Port = 34). But we were also carrying a 27 pound baby.

30 is faster than I'd choose, but it isn't RACING.

Absolutely impossible! Add another 10 days or start at Burgos. The Camino is to be savored. Spend some time eating wild blackberries, go to Mass a few times, sing Vespers with the Benedictine Nuns in Leon, cool your feet in a mountain stream, take off for an afternoon and buy a local some lunch and share a bottle of wine, pitch some hay in a barn in Galicia and see how those wonderful people live, tour the Cathedral in Burgos and the castle in Ponferrada ....

Just my opinion. I had a magical trip last fall. I want to do it again in a couple of years and take at least 60 days and wander the mountains and see the Valley of Silence close to El Acebo, sleep a few nights under the stars and visit the monastery in Samos.

Please don't rush unless you have to.

I wish you Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thornley, would taking more than 45 days be advised? I plan to go on to Finnesterre (sp?). I am booking my flight very soon. My time is not limited as I am retired.

I took 50 days from SJPdP to Fisterra. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone slower yet. Further, if you have days left over after your walk, there is a lot more to Spain than the Camino. There is the Alhambra in Granada, El Mulhacen the highest point in Iberia is a full day walking, the beaches of Cabo los Gatos, the Gaudi constructs in Barclona ... just to name a few.

You can use up the full 90 days allowed under Schengen without scratching the surface.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back