• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 km Days

Carza

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese "August 2016"
We're planning on doing the Camino Portuguese in August and can't seem to escape doing a couple of 30 km days. We're fairly fit but haven't really done more than 15 km on our practice walks. Is 30 km going to be a bit overwhelming?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You probably need to build some strength which many people seem to wait until the walk and allow the walk to build you up. The quickest way to build strength for running, walks etc is stairs because it builds both leg strength and cardiovascular. I would recommend you walk stairs with weight in a backup, maybe twice a week until you leave. You will notice a huge difference in 6 weeks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that to go straight to walking 30km from a maximum of 15km per day would be difficult and might invite injuries. As @dougfitz says you have time to build up more gradually to longer daily stages. A good idea. At least try walking a few longer days before you leave home to give yourself a better idea of your ability.

Yes. But you have a few weeks to build up to some longer distances. If you are only doing a couple of longer days, getting to around 25km in your last training walks might be sufficient.
Thanks! We'll try to get a few walks in

Hi, I saw that you are from the Netherlands. Try to do some training walks in the south of Holland. Lots of hills and some are very steep.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're more than welcome for some practice walks in Zuid Limburg!

...a bit overwhelming ...?

I'd plan a rest day on the day after I doubled my usual distance. Because I know I would need it badly.

In that heat, I would not be optimistic. And on top of the physical aspect, the mental grine may get to you. Sorry...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Carza, you don't have to stick to the 30 km, myself, I will be walking around 20 km / day, to reduce those long 30 plus km, and also to enjoy the scenery, take photos and visit occasionnally... It's what you want to make of it.
Enjoy and Bom Caminho!

So nere is a trick, for those days where there no stoping options for 30km or so: walk 15-20, to a village where therés a bar, call a cab to take you back where you spent the previous night, another cab in the morning to where you stopped. Or ypu can take a cabafter 15-20km forward to a bed, and another in the am back to where you stopped and walk on. In both cases the bonus is leaving your bag behind for one day. Just make sure when you check in that you ask if you can stay 2 nights in a row.

Carza are you tethered to 30km days? on a time limit? If not, as others have wisely advised, don't push yourself to injuries. A 20km day is very doable, so if you started with that and buildup, but only if weather and other conditions allow. Wish you Buen Camino and injury-free walking:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think it depends on when those 30 days are located within the itinerary and on your condition on those days. Some days you just feel more or less cabpable. I started my Camino walking only about 12-15 km days. My feet would start really complaining and I listened to them. (I treated them well, and they reciprocated-no blisters.) Then, as I walked on, my kilometrage increased. This happened just naturally, not planned. I did not book ahead very much, and when I did, it was usually just earlier the same day. That way I could listen to my feet (and other body parts), or stop at an interesting place, etc. In the last 100 km I had to schedule my days due to looming time constraints. I did 25 km, followed by 2 consecutive 30 km days during that time. I walk slowly, but walked long days. I had no repercussions but could not have continued that pace much longer, despite being quite (for me) fit. Of course, I'm 68 and that factors in for sure. So, I think you will manage fine, and as Anemone del Camino said, you may have options involving a taxi if the distance is too much for you on that particular day. Don't forget to hydrate well, and take shoes and socks off during your breaks. I see you are walking in August. Best wishes.

Off topic, but I see my profile shows Camino de Madrid (which I was planning to walk), but I actually walked the Camino Frances. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change that. Is it right there in front of me? Sorry, and thanks if anyone can help.

Well, tell me if you find help. I've tried to change mine (look to the left: too many words) and I see NO way of editing this. So there's two of us.

BP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, tell me if you find help. I've tried to change mine (look to the left: too many words) and I see NO way of editing this. So there's two of us.

If you put your mouse cursor on your forum name at the top of the web page and then select "Personal Details" you should be able to change your camino details in the box marked "Camino(s) past & future"

Click on your name (Upper right at the top of the Forum page)
Click 'Personal Details'
Scroll down until you get to what you want to change...change it and save it.
I just tried it and it worked for me. ;)

Why thanks Viranani,

I wonder why I didn't see this. Although I believe I have tried this before and the changes weren't made... I will find out only by posting this... Let's see...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We're planning on doing the Camino Portuguese in August and can't seem to escape doing a couple of 30 km days. We're fairly fit but haven't really done more than 15 km on our practice walks. Is 30 km going to be a bit overwhelming?

If not injuries, simple fatigue can be a nuisance. For me last year, the build-up was too steep: 24 - 30 - 37 kms the first three days. The fourth day was shorter, but a nightmare, as my legs felt like they were made of wood. (Meaning I could barely feel them, not as in "strong" as made of wood...) I won't make that mistake again. Later on I would make 35-40 kms without too much fuzz but that's like after two weeks...

So general advice is to do shorter stages at first, and/or with many breaks, or to go for Anemone's advice with flip-flopping back to the starting point.

BP

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If not injuries, simple fatigue can be a nuisance. For me last year, the build-up was too steep: 24 - 30 - 37 kms the first three days. The fourth day was shorter, but a nightmare, as my legs felt like they were made of wood. (Meaning I could barely feel them, not as in "strong" as made of wood...) I won't make that mistake again. Later on I would make 35-40 kms without too much fuzz but that's like after two weeks...
So general advice is to do shorter stages at first, and/or with many breaks, or to go for Anemone's advice with flip-flopping back to the starting point.
Bad Pilgrim makes a good point. Even if you can manage that distance fine at first (and you likely could with that amount of training), the simple fatigue can be intense. So if there's a way at the outset to cover the distance in shorter chunks, it's much easier on the body. And if you use the first week or so of walking as distance training there's much less chance of injury down the road.
I have the bad habit of walking 25-30 kms right at the start (with no way of training), and I can do it because I have reserves and a long ago history of endurance sport--but this isn't the same body as 20 years ago and by the 3rd day the build-up of fatigue is noticeable. I get where I'm going but have no energy or inclination to do much of anything except lie down and feel my feet throbbing. Eventually it gets easier, but that's (frankly) a stupid thing to do. And treating the body as a means of doing 'what I want to do no matter what' is not only pushing it, but is also a pretty basic unkindness. Our bodies have immense healing reserves, but we're not machines.
So you're wise to consider otherwise! (Next time I have promised myself to have the humility and care to take my time for at least a week...and hopefully that habit lasts the entire way.;))

Holy cow, it worked! Thanks!
You're most welcome, Bad Pilgrim, and I'm glad to see that you haven't purged your details completely!

Click on your name (Upper right at the top of the Forum page)
Click 'Personal Details'
Scroll down until you get to what you want to change...change it and save it.
I just tried it and it worked for me. ;)
Thanks for the help. I was sort of relieved to see I wasn't the only one baffled by this.

Relax! I'm not so fit and my job is sedentarian and I had something like 6-8km/day before I went on Camino. But I had no problems doing 32km+ per day. You're going to walk 6 hours+ per day, so you should manage your energy. From my experience the first 3 or 4 days are the hardest.

Hi. I'm 70 started at SJ and now 40ks from Santiago . I have done a 36 a 34 and a few around 30. Not to easy but Also not to hard. 4K and hour leave at 8 arrive at 4 with 2 or 3 coffee breaks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Between Santarém and Tomar there are also accommodations in Azinhaga (casa de Azzancha) and Atalaia (casa do Patriarca).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think it depends on when those 30 days are located within the itinerary and on your condition on those days. Some days you just feel more or less cabpable. I started my Camino walking only about 12-15 km days. My feet would start really complaining and I listened to them. (I treated them well, and they reciprocated-no blisters.) Then, as I walked on, my kilometrage increased. This happened just naturally, not planned. I did not book ahead very much, and when I did, it was usually just earlier the same day. That way I could listen to my feet (and other body parts), or stop at an interesting place, etc. In the last 100 km I had to schedule my days due to looming time constraints. I did 25 km, followed by 2 consecutive 30 km days during that time. I walk slowly, but walked long days. I had no repercussions but could not have continued that pace much longer, despite being quite (for me) fit. Of course, I'm 68 and that factors in for sure. So, I think you will manage fine, and as Anemone del Camino said, you may have options involving a taxi if the distance is too much for you on that particular day. Don't forget to hydrate well, and take shoes and socks off during your breaks. I see you are walking in August. Best wishes.
Hi! Thanks for the advice. Yes, the three days that are between 28-31 kms are in the middle of the journey so I'm hoping that we will build up to it. We'll also probably break up one of those legs. I'm hoping that stopping for regular breaks will help on the really long days...

Relax! I'm not so fit and my job is sedentarian and I had something like 6-8km/day before I went on Camino. But I had no problems doing 32km+ per day. You're going to walk 6 hours+ per day, so you should manage your energy. From my experience the first 3 or 4 days are the hardest.
Thanks for your response! That makes me feel a bit better. We're 30ish and in decent shape so while 30 km isn't something we do normally, 20 km is so I'm hoping the jump isn't too painful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I'm 70 started at SJ and now 40ks from Santiago . I have done a 36 a 34 and a few around 30. Not to easy but Also not to hard. 4K and hour leave at 8 arrive at 4 with 2 or 3 coffee breaks
Hi! Thanks for your response! That makes me feel better-I think the breaks will be key and perhaps a nice long lunch to rest the legs...

Thanks very much for your reply! Do you have any recommendations? We were thinking of taking a trip...

Gulpen, Ubachsberg, Eys, Epen, Valkenburg, Stokhem, Wijlre......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just walked 775 km from San Jean. Only had one day of practice before. I am a 1948 model and was not fit at all. My advice focus on the journey not the destination. Enjoy it take rest days and if you run into trouble take a bus. But don't let your own plans hijack your experience! Santiago was a bit of anticlimax. But the journey was amazing. Don't forget to go to the small Chapel at the office in Santiago! It brings everything together! Frederick Holscher

Hello Carza, I think you will be fine on the work you are doing, I just completed the French way and we also worried about the 30k stretches but when it came down to it we took our time and plodded on. The feeling when you first achieve it is fantastic and a little aching ;0) The truth is there is not much distance between 25k and 30k - it's very psychological x enjoy x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agreed.
30km seems to be a largely psychological barrier. Once you overcome it there's no looking back. :)

I plan generally for 25 km daily average. Sometimes I have had to go longer distances (not in the Frances, where there are lot of albergues). My personal record is 32. Made it, but did not love it.
My advice: try to break your day in two. Have a good meal pause at midday, and if possible, a 2o minutes "siesta" (I look for inconspicuous places in suburban squares, or church atria, never had a problem). It makes wonders, believe me.

I don't mean to be a downer but it's more than just a few days of 30 Kms, it is 8 straight from Lisbon to Coimbra (plus or minus a couple of kilometres each day). Im not an alarmist but please be realistic with your abilities. I am now on day 22 from Lisbon and completed the Camino Frances, including several 40 km plus days with hardly a blister. Lisbon to Porto is different. It is 80% asphalt. Road surface plays a huge role in Camino stress. Then there's the heat. There are very few facilities between checkpoints in many cases. Coimbra is a great starting point because the route becomes more forgiving. Towns south of there are lovely but very industrial in between. I ended up in hospital with heat and stress related foot injury by stage 5 (Tomar). Just letting you know. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't mean to be a downer but it's more than just a few days of 30 Kms, it is 8 straight from Lisbon to Coimbra (plus or minus a couple of kilometres each day). Im not an alarmist but please be realistic with your abilities. I am now on day 22 from Lisbon and completed the Camino Frances, including several 40 km plus days with hardly a blister. Lisbon to Porto is different. It is 80% asphalt. Road surface plays a huge role in Camino stress. Then there's the heat. There are very few facilities between checkpoints in many cases. Coimbra is a great starting point because the route becomes more forgiving. Towns south of there are lovely but very industrial in between. I ended up in hospital with heat and stress related foot injury by stage 5 (Tomar). Just letting you know. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and Buen Camino.

Hi, JRR, Welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your hospital visit, not exactly the way you hope to spend your days on the camino. Hope you are ok and that you were able to finish your Caminho.

Your comment about 8 straight days from Lisbon to Coimbra is a little bit misleading. For one thing, as of May, there is an albergue in Alpriate, which is 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral. So that makes the first day a nice easy starter. As others have pointed out there are places to stay in some of the other non-traditional end points, like Azinhaga and Porto de Muge. And you do have the option of getting the "pick and drop" service from the hospitaleros at Santarem, Alviaizare and Tomar, which is detailed here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/.

There's no doubt that the infrastructure on the Lisbon-Porto part has lagged behind, but it is picking up. As the numbers keep increasing, no doubt the facilities will open to respond to the demand.

I agree that asphalt is extremely hard on pilgrim feet. But I do know that the Via Lusitana has been working hard to move pilgrims off the road, and they have had some good success, surely there is more to do, though. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi, JRR, Welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your hospital visit, not exactly the way you hope to spend your days on the camino. Hope you are ok and that you were able to finish your Caminho.

Your comment about 8 straight days from Lisbon to Coimbra is a little bit misleading. For one thing, as of May, there is an albergue in Alpriate, which is 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral. So that makes the first day a nice easy starter. As others have pointed out there are places to stay in some of the other non-traditional end points, like Azinhaga and Porto de Muge. And you do have the option of getting the "pick and drop" service from the hospitaleros at Santarem, Alviaizare and Tomar, which is detailed here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/.

There's no doubt that the infrastructure on the Lisbon-Porto part has lagged behind, but it is picking up. As the numbers keep increasing, no doubt the facilities will open to respond to the demand.

I agree that asphalt is extremely hard on pilgrim feet. But I do know that the Via Lusitana has been working hard to move pilgrims off the road, and they have had some good success, surely there is more to do, though. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Yes, thank you. I do not want to undermine the amazing efforts to resurrect an ancient, highly significant Way buried by the very rapid industrialization of southern Portugal and the modernization of its road system over the last several decades. I should have qualified my "8 day" statement by saying I needed more time to break it up in every way possible and, you're right, there are a few albergues in between. Still it is a gruelling trek and I do think people should know that at the outset. The albergues, however are second to none; the cleanest, brightest albergues I have seen and the kindness of the Portuguese people takes the edge off the physical toll. It is a worthwhile challenge and, of course, Porto and beyond is a Camino no one should miss. Bom Caminho from Caldas de Reis. Almost finished the Portuguese Way!!!

We're only doing from Porto onwards so I'm hoping it's okay. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I know how bad the asphalt is for your body so I'm hoping we're able to handle it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just walked 775 km from San Jean. Only had one day of practice before. I am a 1948 model and was not fit at all. My advice focus on the journey not the destination. Enjoy it take rest days and if you run into trouble take a bus. But don't let your own plans hijack your experience! Santiago was a bit of anticlimax. But the journey was amazing. Don't forget to go to the small Chapel at the office in Santiago! It brings everything together! Frederick Holscher
Thanks very much! I appreciate your kind words and advice!

Hello Carza, I think you will be fine on the work you are doing, I just completed the French way and we also worried about the 30k stretches but when it came down to it we took our time and plodded on. The feeling when you first achieve it is fantastic and a little aching ;0) The truth is there is not much distance between 25k and 30k - it's very psychological x enjoy x
Thanks for your kind words! We've done a 28k practice walk and you're totally right-it is the psychological strain that is most concerning. We weren't very sore (although doing it several days in a row is a different story) and no blisters but it got a bit taxing during the last third of our walk. Any advice on how to combat that side of things?

I plan generally for 25 km daily average. Sometimes I have had to go longer distances (not in the Frances, where there are lot of albergues). My personal record is 32. Made it, but did not love it.
My advice: try to break your day in two. Have a good meal pause at midday, and if possible, a 2o minutes "siesta" (I look for inconspicuous places in suburban squares, or church atria, never had a problem). It makes wonders, believe me.
Hi! Yeah I think breaks are key. definitely want to do some long lunches and stop for breaks/ a beer/wine or two .. I found that really helped. Thanks for your advice! This forum is really comforting.

€46,-
Hi! Yeah I think breaks are key. definitely want to do some long lunches and stop for breaks/ a beer/wine or two .. I found that really helped. Thanks for your advice! This forum is really comforting.
About your lunch

Due to an ancient law introduced by former generalissimo Franco , in Spain and Portugal during week days most restaurants provide a three way menu for , initially, workers , a so called menu del dia or in Portugal a menu do dia or prata do dia.
it can be a starter like soup , a main course like meat or fish and a "postre " sometimes an orange ,an apple or whatever and a free drink like a glass of beer,wine, lemonade ,coffee, tea etc. so you can order this menu as well as a pilgrim (is different to a sometimes served pilgrim menu which what I noticed at times was more expensive ,anyway in Spain.
Costs.. In Portugal 6 to 8 € and in Spain up to about 10 €. Never more than that. Quality is excellent specially when the restaurant is packed with workers.
They serve the menu del dia from about 12h 30 till about 14h30.
During the weekends it is a different matter from about 14h to 16h00.
The restaurants are packed with families and their children. They do not provide a menu del dia but you have to order from the regular menu card which is more expensive.

Other thing... Everywhere when you will go out shopping especially in bigger towns you will notice a different way of living, others than our "regulated (Dutch) northern European Calvinistic" lifestyle.
We wanted to do some shopping around lunchtime-14h - at once all shops close -week- and saturdays so towncenters are deserted .

Bom caminho

Last edited:
About your lunch

Due to an ancient law introduced by former generalissimo Franco , in Spain and Portugal during week days most restaurants provide a three way menu for initially workers , a so called menu del dia or in Portugal a menu do dia or prata do dia.
it can be a starter like soup , a main course like meat or fish and a "postre " simetimes an orange ,an apple or whatever and a free drink like a glass of beer,wine, lemonade ,coffee, tea etc. so you can order this menu as well as a pilgrim (is different to a sometimes served pilgrim menu which what I noticed at times was more expensive ,anyway in Spain.
Costs.. In Portugal 6 to 8 € and in Spain up to about 10 €. Never more than that. Quality is excellent specially when the restaurant is packed with workers.
They serve the menu del dia from about 12h 30 till about 14h30.
During the weekends it is a different matter from about 14h to 16h00.
The restaurants are packed with families and their children. They do not provide a menu del dia but you have to order from the regular menu card which is more expensive.

Other thing... Everywhere when you will go out shopping especially in bigger towns you will notice a different way of living, others than our "regulated (Dutch) northern European Calvinistic" lifestyle.
We wanted to do some shopping around lunchtime-14h - at once all shops close -week- and saturdays so towncenters are deserted .

Bom caminho

For more info re some delicious menus de dia/ menus do dia see this earlier Forum post.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ood-menu-del-dia-on-the-camino-frances.18531/

Between Mealhada and Agueda, on the Portuguese Camino, you walk through an industrial zone at Barro, about 5 kms before Agueda. If you are there at lunchtime, look out for a worker’s canteen on the right-hand side of the road. With two other pilgrims I met on the road, we took a look inside, and stayed for lunch. For soup, main course, drinks and coffees we paid 5 euros each. And soooo… friendly. Loved it.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.