• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

$31 pack?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup, that will work just fine and even comes with a rain cover. I'd carry it in a heartbeat to walk the Camino. Backpacks on his forum get waaay overthought, IMO.
You don't need an expensive, technical super lightweight backpack to walk the Camino. You will see pilgrims walking with all manner of backpacks, daypacks etc, cheap ones expensive ones, frame and no frame, some threadbare and well worn and they reach Santiago.....alive! lol
Once I walked the entire Frances, 800 kilometres, with a frameless $35 military style rucksack. I would guess it is about 35 litres in size. It had no hipbelt, no water bladder holder and no side pockets etc. I used a trash bag as a liner for it in case it rained, but it never did (July-August). What I did do, and this is by far the most important thing, far more important than pack choice, is I packed only what I needed, not what I thought I might need. I packed as light as possible. There is no substitute for that. That is important to me as I am no spring chicken and I know my limitations as I have gotten older, and my limitations are increased with each unnecessary pound I am carrying on my back.

My b/p for my CF in 2019 was a Meteor 36-42l for 29€!
It was perfect and I was very happy with it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the link- I went fancy with the $35.99 red one from Amazon. It's over a pound less than the Osprey I got at REI. It has a 30 day return, so I'll check it out and if it works, either return the $169 3 pound Osprey back to REI or list it on ebay- not sure if I'm outside of my year return or not.

Did I mention I saw a guy walking with two shopping bags (Trader Joes!) as his “backpack”??? Lightweight, cheap, and totally disposable! Every person gets to choose what works best for themselves

Did I mention I saw a guy walking with two shopping bags (Trader Joes!) as his “backpack”??? Lightweight, cheap, and totally disposable! Every person gets to choose what works best for themselves
I met a peregrino carrying a straw kind of wicker backpack. He was strolling along just fine, and even had a bottle of wine in it. Later I saw him in Santiago, wicker pack and all. Healthy and smiling.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not for the first time I’ll reference one of my occasional companions on my first Camino (but only down wind) ‘el hombre que huele de cabra’ whose walking bag was an Aldi carrier bag. We suspected he must have been using luggage transfer as well - but if so it certainly didn’t include soap.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seriously, not to be unsupportive, but that review….WAS AWFUL!!!! 🙄. A majority was non-pack dialog and the analysis was mostly that the zipper pulls and the built-in rain fly were great! Ugghhhhh….

When one of you walks with this, please post a BOTG review

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup, that will work just fine and even comes with a rain cover. I'd carry it in a heartbeat to walk the Camino. Backpacks on his forum get waaay overthought, IMO.
You don't need an expensive, technical super lightweight backpack to walk the Camino. You will see pilgrims walking with all manner of backpacks, daypacks etc, cheap ones expensive ones, frame and no frame, some threadbare and well worn and they reach Santiago.....alive! lol
Once I walked the entire Frances, 800 kilometres, with a frameless $35 military style rucksack. I would guess it is about 35 litres in size. It had no hipbelt, no water bladder holder and no side pockets etc. I used a trash bag as a liner for it in case it rained, but it never did (July-August). What I did do, and this is by far the most important thing, far more important than pack choice, is I packed only what I needed, not what I thought I might need. I packed as light as possible. There is no substitute for that. That is important to me as I am no spring chicken and I know my limitations as I have gotten older, and my limitations are increased with each unnecessary pound I am carrying on my back.

I haven't done testing but I tend to agree.

Anyone focusing on gear should focus on footwear. Primarily what their feet feel best in over long durations and varied climates.

Seriously, not to be unsupportive, but that review….WAS AWFUL!!!! 🙄

I stopped watching when he pointed out the “adjustable wrist straps” - the reason why he’d never seen them on a bag before is that they’re actually waist straps 😣

But my main issue with one of these suspicously cheap no-name Amazon bags is their durability. I’d give this a week or two of moderate use before one of these shoulder or ”wrist straps” started tearing off the body of the bag from the weight it’s carrying.

Mine is due at the house today, so I will report in. I will say that it's looking like it's going right back. Suspiciously, the interior pictures were missing from the Amazon listing I looked at- and the reviews point it more toward a school bookbag than a 40L pack. But, free returns so why not take a look?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
with all the respect to the pack above, I wonder why one would be interested in it? even if it survives one full Camino, most likely it will fail on the next. There are Osprey and other quality backpacks, and a decent pack would cost roughly 5x more, but it will serve 10x longer and will be 10x more convenient to carry.
If long distance walking is a part of your life, then well thought over investments in quality gear are more reasonable. I bought a Stratos 36 in 2014 to walk CF, and since then have walked CA, VdlP and CP with it, plus many other shorter trails, and will take it for the next Camino for sure :)

with all the respect to the pack above, I wonder why one would be interested in it? even if it survives one full Camino, most likely it will fail on the next. There are Osprey and other quality backpacks, and a decent pack would cost roughly 5x more, but it will serve 10x longer and will be 10x more convenient to carry.
If long distance walking is a part of your life, then well thought over investments in quality gear are more reasonable. I bought a Stratos 36 in 2014 to walk CF, and since then have walked CA, VdlP and CP with it, plus many other shorter trails, and will take it for the next Camino for sure :)
Why? Well, economics for one. Not everyone can afford $150 backpacks and $200 sleeping bags. I met a lot of pilgrims walking on very strict budgets. Long distance walking isn't a part of their life, but walking the Camino once in their life is.
I would guess that the majority, probably 99% of the people who walk the Camino only walk it once, and are not backpackers prior or afterwards. Someone like that doesn't need a heavy duty, technical pack, and walking the Camino does little wear and tear on any pack. All three packs I have used on various Caminos pretty much look exactly like they did when I bought them. No worse for wear and I never had anything rip or tear on any of them.
For someone who's walking the Camino only once in life and never trekking with a pack again buying a $100-$150 pack is like going to the hardware store and buying the most expensive hammer to nail in just a dozen or so picture hooks at home and never using the hammer again. There's a $5 no name hammer on the rack next to a $30 contractor grade hammer. Why spend $30 to do a $5 job? That goes for trekking poles etc as well. Just about everything except for footwear, and even then I saw a pilgrim walk all the way to Santiago in a pair of canvas boat shoes, lol.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why? Well, economics for one. Not everyone can afford $150 backpacks
For the times I decide to spend less and choose something really cheap instead, I tell myself it's like buying gear "on the installment plan".😅
Seriously, not to be unsupportive, but that review….WAS AWFUL!!!! 🙄. A majority was non-pack dialog and the analysis was mostly that the zipper pulls and the built-in rain fly were great!
Hilarious and I totally agree, those were my thoughts exactly! Before purchasing an Osprey, I watched quality videos of a few models before deciding on one. This video left much to be desired, but probably not a bad decision in a pinch or for a "one and done" Camino.
We need @davebugg to make an unbiased review.🙂

BTW, I just remembered that my son has a ULA backpack with wrist staps. They hang down in front and since he did not use hiking poles, they provided his arms another comfortable position which he liked.
I was impressed with what appeared to be thick shoulder straps and the waist belt with small zip compartments though; not everything was negative. I give it 2.5 stars out of 5.*****

Last edited:
For some of us, long distance walking is a small part of our life and that quality gear is wrapped in plastic hanging in the garage. Likely to never be used again. Not a good investment.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I actually paid less than twice the amount of this bag ($56) for my REI Trail 40 pack on clearance a couple of years ago and after consistent use since then it’s as good as the day I bought it. If you keep your eye out for the frequent sales at places like REI Outlet and other camping/hiking shops, you really don’t have to pay hundreds of dollars for a well designed and sturdy pack that will last many years - or at least just get you all the way to Santiago without falling apart even if you never plan on using it again. And you can always sell it or pass it along in that case instead of abandoning it in a garage or sending it to some landfill.

It has been mentioned in this thread, 'a bag is a bag', go with what you can afford. There are alternatives of course, I spotted this one on the Frances in 2019.... 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20190930_122456.jpg
    IMG_20190930_122456.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For some of us, long distance walking is a small part of our life and that quality gear is wrapped in plastic hanging in the garage. Likely to never be used again. Not a good investment.
Yes, exactly.
This forum can be quite informative, but is definitely comprised of not the average pilgrims. The overwhelming majority of pilgrims worldwide don't read this forum, walking the Camino isn't an all year, multiple year hobby for them and could care less about the equipment they carried on the Camino the moment they returned home. They're not gear snobs and don't view walking the Camino the same way Hillary viewed climbing Everest lol.

Both may fail and both may survive. You can't tell until it happens.

I used the cheapo-b/p from my CF on my alpine crossing last year and it survived this trip, too.
Used it on many hikes through some parts of the Harz and the Thuringian Forest. After the last trip to the Harz a small hole on the bottom of that b/p occured by mishap of me. It was fixed in 5mins needle-work.

I'm very satisfied with the quality and ergonomics of this backpack.

And yes, I own a LoweAlpine backpack that was 149€ and I use it while hiking with my photo-gear in a padded extra-pouch. It is just slightly better in ergonomics but has many more possibilities of getting access to the contents.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I used the cheapo-b/p from my CF on my alpine crossing last year and it survived this trip, too.
Used it on many hikes through some parts of the Harz and the Thuringian Forest. After the last trip to the Harz a small hole on the bottom of that b/p occured by mishap of me. It was fixed in 5mins needle-work.

I'm very satisfied with the quality and ergonomics of this backpack.

And yes, I own a LoweAlpine backpack that was 149€ and I use it while hiking with my photo-gear in a padded extra-pouch. It is just slightly better in ergonomics but has many more possibilities of getting access to the contents.
I agree totally Roland. Plus, I'd rather have a $30 rucksack stolen / lost by an airline, than a $150 one...!

Why? Well, economics for one. Not everyone can afford $150 backpacks and $200 sleeping bags. I met a lot of pilgrims walking on very strict budgets. Long distance walking isn't a part of their life, but walking the Camino once in their life is.
I would guess that the majority, probably 99% of the people who walk the Camino only walk it once, and are not backpackers prior or afterwards. Someone like that doesn't need a heavy duty, technical pack, and walking the Camino does little wear and tear on any pack. All three packs I have used on various Caminos pretty much look exactly like they did when I bought them. No worse for wear and I never had anything rip or tear on any of them.
For someone who's walking the Camino only once in life and never trekking with a pack again buying a $100-$150 pack is like going to the hardware store and buying the most expensive hammer to nail in just a dozen or so picture hooks at home and never using the hammer again. There's a $5 no name hammer on the rack next to a $30 contractor grade hammer. Why spend $30 to do a $5 job? That goes for trekking poles etc as well. Just about everything except for footwear, and even then I saw a pilgrim walk all the way to Santiago in a pair of canvas boat shoes, lol.

Terry Pratchett solved that, and much more besides:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I was hoping for a luggage quote from Terry Pratchett.

For me, padded waist straps is one of the most important features as the weight of the pack sits on my hips, not my shoulders. Hence my skeleton rather than muscle, & the load is not on my whole body. The shoulder straps basically just stop the pack tipping off backwards. It makes carrying it a dream.
They say that the heaviest load you take on the Camino is not in your backpack, but in your mind & heart. A comfy backpack doesn't distract you & allows you deal with shedding the "real" load. Enjoy!

Not really.
That really doesn't apply to the issue. I brought up the probable fact that the overwhelming majority of the backpacks purchased by pilgrims to walk the Camino are only used one time, maybe twice and then put to pasture or perhaps sold or given away. Also most packs, even the expensive packs are manufactured in a sweat shop somewhere by an underpaid, overworked individual. We're not talking about hand stitched boots that can be resoled later.
One also has to have the money in the first place to buy this equipment that will last longer. What are they going to do? Get a loan from the bank to purchase backpacks and other stuff to walk the Camino once in their life? Really? That's absurd.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Osprey All Mighty (guarantee) says : Should you find any defect in the way your pack has been built, we will repair or replace it without any charge, within its reasonable lifetime. 🥸
If I would be in need of an extra backpack I would look for a well preserved second hand one. Or buy one brand new and sell later, if no more needed, adding an small overhead as having been used during pilgrimage…
Not to mention satisfaction from being active in protection of environment.

My backpack I bought from Aldi for $30. It has served me well for two caminos and will be used again on my next.
Someone a long time ago posted that Osprey was the best so everyone followed. The best is what works for you. It does not need to be a designer label.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mine is due at the house today, so I will report in. I will say that it's looking like it's going right back. Suspiciously, the interior pictures were missing from the Amazon listing I looked at- and the reviews point it more toward a school bookbag than a 40L pack. But, free returns so why not take a look?
Great. Mine won't arrive or a week. Some of those Amazon criticisms were unnerving. Hope we got the same one (or not!)

Oh boy...
I ordered a "Smartpark". I recieved a "Logooo". The pack appeared to have pretty decent construction, but- 40L? Don't think so. Here's a picture of my Osprey Kyte 36L (3 pounds) next to the (ahem) 40L one. I filled it up with a fleece and stuff to be fair.
Yeah.
However- when @puttster sent me down the Amazon rabbit hole, I also found (and ordered) one of these just to see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KNYVZ4R/?tag=casaivar02-20

it appears to be a direct knockoff version of my Osprey and 1.4 pounds lighter and $130 less expensive. I checked and I'm well within my REI return window, so I got one of those to check out as well. It gets here tomorrow.
the above? That's me. I don't know if I will ever do it again. If I do, I'll upgrade one piece at a time. I've made it 55 years without a backpack, hiking shoes, walking poles, sleeping quilts, merino anything. It's a large chunk of cash if you only use it once.
amazonbackpack.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh boy...
I ordered a "Smartpark". I recieved a "Logooo". The pack appeared to have pretty decent construction, but- 40L? Don't think so. Here's a picture of my Osprey Kyte 36L (3 pounds) next to the (ahem) 40L one. I filled it up with a fleece and stuff to be fair.
Yeah.
However- when @puttster sent me down the Amazon rabbit hole, I also found (and ordered) one of these just to see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KNYVZ4R/?tag=casaivar02-20

it appears to be a direct knockoff version of my Osprey and 1.4 pounds lighter and $130 less expensive. I checked and I'm well within my REI return window, so I got one of those to check out as well. It gets here tomorrow.

the above? That's me. I don't know if I will ever do it again. If I do, I'll upgrade one piece at a time. I've made it 55 years without a backpack, hiking shoes, walking poles, sleeping quilts, merino anything. It's a large chunk of cash if you only use it once.
View attachment 119029
I had looked at the Loogoo ones as well. Thank you for the side by side size comparison. I ended up going with a used rei trail 40 off ebay, but I'm worried I will over pack it. In my ideal world I'd have just used my dakine 33l, but it doesn't have waist/hip straps.

The "almost an Osprey" arrived today, and this one has potential- thanks to @puttster for sending me down the Amazon rabbit hole. (picture below) I didn't go to as extreme to fill them each up as they are obviously very similar in size. Here's what is different:
weight- Osprey Kyte 36L 3.8# Shanyk from Amazon 36L 2#- note: both packs are weighing roughly .4# heavy with my Amazon Basics handheld luggage scale than what their respective websites advertise. It could be the scale, but since it's the same variance, let's roll with it.

Both packs have a top drawstring access. Both packs have padded shoulder straps. Both packs have two side pockets and a padded waist belt. Both packs have a chest strap with whistle and a rain cover. Both have a pocket on the back of the pack- Osprey's is a shove it in style with expandable buckles, Shanyk is a zipper and the pocket is tight and small. You can fit a fleece or rain jacket in the Osprey and a Kindle in the Shanyk. They both have zippered pockets on the top- Osprey's is a bigger and deeper pocket. The Osprey also has a mesh pocket with a key clip on the inside of the top. The Osprey has a sleeping bag section on the bottom, the other does not. The Osprey has pockets on both hip belts, and the Shanyk has one and like the pockets on the back and the top, appears to be smaller in size. They both are advertised as waterproof but the nylon is noticeably thinner on the Shanyk. The Osprey has a frame of some sort in the inside of the pack keeping it upright. The Shanyk folds on itself. Both have a padded back piece. Both have extra straps to hold stuff along the bottom. The Osprey has what appears to be more durable hardware in the buckles and the zippers.

If you are a first timer, do those extra quality things matter? There is also a $130-ish price difference that could be spent on 6-7 nights accommodations. For those of you who have been helping me in the "empty my backpack" thread, I'm weighing out the revised packing list in both bags tonight. I have 30 days for return, so I think I am going to wear this thing out in the park for the next few weeks and see if the quality and padding and weight distribution make it a good choice.
secondamazonbackpack.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are a first timer, do those extra quality things matter?

The lack of a frame that you mention could make a big difference in how comfortable it is to carry.

The Osprey has a frame of some sort in the inside of the pack keeping it upright. The Shanyk folds on itself.

The lack of a frame that you mention could make a big difference in how comfortable it is to carry.
This could be very true, Trecile. I appreciate the trampline frame on my Osprey as it can stand up on its own, making packing it in the morning very convenient. Although the cheaper pack is probably a good value and would "do the job", as in most things in life, you usually "get what you pay for".

This could be very true, Trecile. I appreciate the trampline frame on my Osprey as it can stand up on its own, making packing it in the morning very convenient. Although the cheaper pack is probably a good value and would "do the job", as in most things in life, you usually "get what you pay for".
I think that the frame can be very important in how well a backpack transfers the load from the shoulders/back to the hips.
Perhaps @davebugg will weigh in.

Hi, all. Just to add in my observations:

I ordered the same first pack as Bookgirl, with purportedly a different logo. What I got was a "loogoo." ;)

I own several other types and sizes of backpacks ( although no others with a hipbelt - the others are all daypacks or hydration vests), so I did some comparing.

The dimensions seem true to the ad (21.5 x 13.8 x 9). An Osprey Farpoint 40 advertises itself as 22 x 14 x 9, so make of the volume what you will. I use a 20x15x8 daypack for weekend trips, and with one pair of shoes in the bag (i have big feet) it fills up quickly. I don't think I could do a Camino with this volume, even in high summer.

Weight is as advertised, features appear to be as advertised...though I have a true zippered top pocket. No rain cover on this model. Has a headphone pass through, though I'd probably shove my hydration tube through that space. Pockets and straps appear as advertised.

Major drawback for me. See on the picture where the straps are attached? On me with my 5'7" and my dowagers hump, that means the shoulder straps ride high on my neck, and the " hip" belt ends up above my bellybutton. The chest strap/ whistle is in the right place...but I don't have a lot of chest.

BL: will send it back (luckily, I think my record with Amazon is still good). I figure that with my feet, I'll need a 55L.

Attachments

• 20220222_210846.jpg
    20220222_210846.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220222_210830.jpg
    20220222_210830.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 51
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have backpacks of various sizes that use different arrangements for stiffening the back panel. A couple have very flexible stiffening panels, including one with almost not stiffening at all. In use, to get good weight transfer to my hips, those with more flexible panels need to be packed fairly tightly so that they form a fairly solid tube.

I never use the pack with the least stiffening with much under a full load because it doesn't sit well on my hips, and drags on my shoulders. I suspect this wouldn't be a problem on the camino, where the load would fill the pack, even if it was a bit lumpy and ungainly.

Packs with metal stays and a good harness provide good weight transfer, even when they are only partially loaded. The convenience during packing is incidental to the comfort of having good weight transfer!

That said, for smaller packs without a hip belt or with poor weight transfer have been around for years and get used regularly even today. In a past life, I regularly carried a 28 li combat pack that had no waist belt, albeit, water and other essentials were carried on a belt in pouches, much like one might do today with a larger waist bag. Aarn takes a similar approach with the balance bags in its designs.

My Walmart Samit $31 backpack came today, five days early.
Its dimensions are 22x13x~9 which should be around 40L. The weight at 2.1 lbs was 20% heavier than
@BookGirl305 's. It almost looks like Logooo Corp got the Samit schematics and zoomed them down 20% to save material and is now selling the pack as equivalent. How Guangdong of them! If true, I apologize for sending anyone down the rabbit hole:mad:

The pack has plenty of pockets and a few nice touches such as: an elasticized chest strap, waist belt pockets that can hold my Pixel 3a and a raincover that is easy use. There are plenty of adjusting straps and eventually I got the pack sitting where (I think) it should be.
A zipper near the top leads to a little pocket which would be perfect for a cell phone and earphone connection but, alas, it is too small and anyway, it has no exit hole for a cord. If I ever run into @trecile I'll ask her to sew me a working one. There is also a velcro strap, function of which is unclear.

The main pocket holds my sleeping bag, a pair of Merrill size 11 shoes and a feather pillow. Over the next month I'll test-hike it and gather up what I want to bring on my Camino and see how it all fits.

Attachments

• Pack2.jpg
    Pack2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
  • Pack1.jpg
    Pack1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bought an Ozark Trial 65L backpack @ Walmart for about $50-60. It lasted me 2 caminos and has held up better than the one I bought @ LL Bean for $200. Go with it. If something happens, you can always buy another one in Spain.

Good Luck.

Mark

i ordered one and should arrive in a few days and will pack and carry it on one of hikes and see how it works.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My backpack I bought from Aldi for $30. It has served me well for two caminos and will be used again on my next.
Someone a long time ago posted that Osprey was the best so everyone followed. The best is what works for you. It does not need to be a designer label.
Absolutely. I have taken my new Decathlon €34 (30l) pack on holiday this week. I think it's great. It's big enough for everything I need (beginning to think I should have bought smaller for the Camino), it's much more comfortable than what I had before at half the weight.
If I bought all the expensive gear I wouldn't be able to afford a coffee or a beer in a cafe.

Final report on my $31 genuine Samit backpack: a great pack! Zippers all worked, pockets excellent, nice touches like that last outside pouch, no-sweat back, carry handle, big waist pockets... I'll take this pack anywhere again.

I started with 20 lbs but the bag was so full daily packing was awful. I tossed some stuff and life was way more pleasant.

If I have one complaint, this pack is not meant for skinny people. Maybe ok for skinny women, but I started with a 32 waist and as I walked I shrunk and it got hard to get the waist belt tightened up enough.

So in my experience, if you're not too skinny, you will not go wrong with this pack... At any price, especially $31.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hadn't seen this post until today, but happened to get the green Samit bag a month ago. It is not huge! but maybe that's a good thing. The compact sleeping bag I ordered takes up nearly 1/3 of the space in the main compartment. Haven't test packed everything else yet. My rain poncho is def. going in one of the exterior water bottle holders. Thinking about getting rid of the rain fly... leaves a little more space for other stuff... if really raining will use the poncho over bag. My hike doesn't start until mid-Sept but will do some hiking around home with this bag and report back.

I hadn't seen this post until today, but happened to get the green Samit bag a month ago. It is not huge! but maybe that's a good thing. The compact sleeping bag I ordered takes up nearly 1/3 of the space in the main compartment. Haven't test packed everything else yet. My rain poncho is def. going in one of the exterior water bottle holders. Thinking about getting rid of the rain fly... leaves a little more space for other stuff... if really raining will use the poncho over bag. My hike doesn't start until mid-Sept but will do some hiking around home with this bag and report back.
I'm happy to also say this cheap pack worked well for me, after 4 weeks traveling Italy and Andorra, then 35 days on the Camino Frances. One of the waist staos is getting a little torn at the seem but otherwise holding up well. If you don't plan on using for another trip, this works. However, it's not the same as a more expensive frame pack, so the back did get a bit sweaty.

€149,-
Hi there so you recommend it? So can you buy this in sports shops such as Dicks which usually carries a great selection of sports and hiking gear.

Hi there so you recommend it? So can you buy this in sports shops such as Dicks which usually carries a great selection of sports and hiking gear.
I have no idea. I was given the pack. I don't even know what brand it is.

Probably not. Stores like Dick's and REI generally carry merchandise from the big name brands.

Hope you watch the video. Very entertaining fashion show. 😂😂
I checked amazon but didn't see a Samit but many other brands. Also, the link that lists Samit informed me they are out of stock otherwise I would have ordered one for my twelfth Camino in 2023.

Ok, everyone my Samit arrived which I ordered from Amazon. It's nice and light but definitely not a real 40 l like my Gregory L. I tried butting the stuff I need but it will not suffice and for me it will not do. Will try to return it.
Thanks for the info on this product can you recommend something comparable? I got rid of my backpack after finishing the Norte this year metal frame on it was too heavy and looking now.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.