• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

33 days(and 5 more days) in sandals

SooYunKim

Time of past OR future Camino
09.22.2014 - 11.1.2014 Camino Frances from SJPP & Camino Finisterre-Muxia
(This post is very long. You may want to hit 'BACK'. :D)

Hola, everybody!

I came back home from Camino on Nov. 2nd.
It took me 33 days to get to Santiago.

As some of you probably know already, blisters have been delaying my journey since day 1.
I had to stop at every 40 or 50 mins to dry up my feet and boots for about 20 mins. which was insane.
I think I could made only 2 km per hour or so.
My cry for help echoed through online and offline,
so many useful advises were pouring toward me from people from this forum
and other pilgrims on Camino.
I was really impressed by and deeply appreciate all the caring and kindness.
But unfortunately none of them worked for me.
Everybody has different solution for blisters.
I am sure those work for someone else.
It's just that they did not work for me.

So, on day 4, I had no choice but to put my hiking boots in backpack
and started to walk in sandals.
I think it was the day I left Puente La Reina.
That was my last solution.
If it did not work, I had to either come back home right away or
give up Camino and go to Madrid or Sevilla for rest of the vacation.

Still I have had blisters for few more days though,
Since then they were no longer my problem.
I could walk again.

By that time, I already took bus once, from Larasoana to Cizur Menor.

Walking Camino in sandals is not walk in a park.
I did not have to deal with blisters any more, thank God,
now I had to deal with everything else.
Sun, dirt, stones, big stones, many stones, sharp stones, rain, slippery road, dry sticks,
thorny plants and anything on the ground AND shocks.
There was not single night without stabbing pain on my feet till the end.
It woke me up several times a night.
No Ibuprofen or any pain killer could help me sleep through the night.
Still it's much much MUCH better than having blisters.
I could walk.

Next problem.
It was after Hontanas, before Castrojeriz.
I felt some pain in my right calf muscles.
Next day, about a few kilometers before Boadilla del Camino,
the calf muscles on my right leg clenched up so tight all of sudden.
This time, I had to stop at every other steps.
And the next day, it has gotten worse.
I thought I was Okay but I was not.
I could not take one more step forward when I arrived Poblacion de Campos
which is one town further from Fromista.
Tried to take a bus but there was no bus from that town.
I had to go back 6 km to Fromista to take a bus to Carrion de los condes.
There was no way for me to walk back 6 more kilometers.
With help of senora at the hotel in Poblacion de Campos,
I could catch a cap to Carrion for 22 Euros.

It was a very windy day.
Watching other pilgrims fearlessly walking in wind from inside of a taxi was not a very pleasant experience.
I felt depressed and left out all the way to Carrion.

In Carrion, I was literally limping around.
That day, I purchased two different kinds of muscle cream,
took some kind of muscle relaxer from a Korean lady at the albergue,
attended a mass and prayed weeping.
I did everything I could do to ease the pain.
I don't know which one worked, maybe all of them did.
Next day, miracle happened.
Once again, I could walk again.(with minor pain)

After this, rest was not that bad.
I mean, that the pain and swelling did not leave till the end
but I could walk and finish my Camino.
That's all that matters.

Oh, I shouldn't forget this.
On day 31, finally there was a big hole in my right sandal.
Let me tell you something, Compeed works great for patching up a hole in sandal. ;)
Seriously, it does.
It does not last very long though. You need new Compeed everyday.
I used Compeed and all my blister kits(cotton pads and tapes).
It was not comfortable but I had only 2 more days to Santiago and 5 more days to Finisterre and Muxia.
Did not want to buy new sandals.

At first I was going to throw away those sandals when I arrived in Santiago.
I had my boots sent away to Santiago post office from Leon, I could use them.
When I put the boots on again, I changed my mind and stuck to good old sandals.
From Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia, I walked in sandals a hole in the middle. :D
And they came home with me and now stay in my room resting.
I don't think I can throw them away.

If someone asks me, I would definitely NOT recommend walking in sandals.
For me, it was the only solution that worked.
If I had any other solution, I would have not walked in sandals.
By the time I arrived in Santiago, I lost one toe nail, about to lose another one,
one of toe nails turned to black long before and my feet looked like something chewed up and spitted out.
No, I do not recommend anyone walking in sandals unless they have absolutely no other way but that.

It took me 2 buses, 2 taxis, 5 mochila services to get to Santiago.
And 2 big tubes of muscle cream, a half pack of Ibuprofen, numerous band aids and blister kits,
uncountable mass and pilgrim blessings.
AND other pilgrims.
Without them, I might have to given up.
Thank you so much all my Camino friends.
Thank you so much everyone in this forum.
I can not thank you enough.

It's almost midnight.
I better stop here and go to bed.
See you soon again.

Buen Camino whenever and wherever.

Soo :^)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations ! You made it.

I will never forget your first post about your blister problem. It was so painful just reading it. I was hoping that you wouldn't quit and very happy to learn that you didn't.

Obviously you are a strong person and hung in there through all the adversity that you were confronted with. Your story is admirable and now you can remember the good things that happened to you on your Camino.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Buen Camino Peregrino !

By the time I arrived in Santiago, I lost one toe nail, about to lose another one,
one of toe nails turned to black long before and my feet looked like something chewed up and spitted out.
No, I do not recommend anyone walking in sandals unless they have absolutely no other way but that.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I am curious what sandals you walked in, however? Not all sandals are created equal.
I am a dedicated sandal hiker (boots destroy my feet), and I hope more hikers will consider them (the right kind of hiking sandals).
I DO recommend hiking in sandals. (FYI, I wear Teva Terra Fi 4's)
I think hiking culture is slowing moving away from boots being the "default".

Sorry you had a bad experience with both boots and sandals.

It's not only the sandals but also the types of foot. I have Tevas and Keens - both high quality. But if you have a seriously high arch and are at a certain age, no sandal will be good - truth. I had my first case of plantar facsitis hiking in sandals in Lourdes and the surrounding midi Pyranees now 5 years ago. There just isn't any sandal out there for a high arch foot. I even tried to use extra glue on arch support in them. Some people just can't do sandals. Period. Not even to mention the rocks pointing to the sky - the tread just isn't there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I am curious what sandals you walked in, however? Not all sandals are created equal.
I am a dedicated sandal hiker (boots destroy my feet), and I hope more hikers will consider them (the right kind of hiking sandals).
I DO recommend hiking in sandals. (FYI, I wear Teva Terra Fi 4's)
I think hiking culture is slowing moving away from boots being the "default".

Sorry you had a bad experience with both boots and sandals.

Mine was Teva Terra Fi Lite.
Teva Terra Fi 4 looks much sturdier.

I would hike in sandals if it's Griffith Park in Los Angeles or somewhere like that.
But on Camino, there are so many stones on the road.
(When the John Brierley guide book says "stiff downhill', that does not really mean 'stiff' downhill.
It means downhill with millions of pointy and sharp stones.)
That's why I don't recommend walking Camino in sandals.
Camino literally destroys something less sturdy than hiking boots. :D

SooYunKim, bravo for your heroic effort in completing your Camino! Most people would have given up. A testament to your strength and character. Good for you!

This serves as yet another example of how important it is to try and find the best footwear for you. For every SooYunKim, I can find a pilgrim who will say sandals destroyed their feet, boots saved them. There is no one-shoe-fits-all prescription when it comes to finding the right Camino shoe.

I personally got through my Camino using a combination of boots and low-cut hikers. Having experimented with sandals before, I can say with near certainty that sandals would have aggravated my plantar fasciitis and ended my Camino early had I gone with this style of footwear.

SooYunKim, so well done. I remember your first posts about your blisters and am very happy you completed your Camino.

Donal

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This serves as yet another example of how important it is to try and find the best footwear for you. For every SooYunKim, I can find a pilgrim who will say sandals destroyed their feet, boots saved them. There is no one-shoe-fits-all prescription when it comes to finding the right Camino shoe.

I personally got through my Camino using a combination of boots and low-cut hikers. Having experimented with sandals before, I can say with near certainty that sandals would have aggravated my plantar fasciitis and ended my Camino early had I gone with this style of footwear.

Agree, 100% - there is no one-shoe-fits-all prescription when it comes to finding the right Camino shoe!

My concern was that the OP made a couple of very strong statements against hiking the camino in sandals, but none against hiking in boots - even though it was boots that destroyed her feet in the first place.

My concern is that it is not a reasonable conclusion to reach that the camino should not be hiked in sandals because one walker, who had not trained in sandals, who had battered and blistered feet, who bought sandals on the spot out of necessity, had a bad experience with them.

My concern is that the sandals she wore were not adequate. I am a sandal hiker, but would never have expected Teva Terra-Fi Lites to be up to the task of hiking 500 miles straight as the primary or only footwear. (I hike in Teva Terra-Fi's - NOT "Lite" - and I often wear good socks with them as well to protect against debris, sun and overly dry, cracked heels, depending on trail conditions, time of day, and the weather.)

My concern is that the camino attracts a large number of hiking novices who still believe that "default" hiking footwear is boots. They actually have many options - boots of various flavors, hiking shoes, walking shoes, trail runners and sandals - and all should be considered equal until one's personal preferences and foot needs are determined with actual trail experience.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the first 180 miles in boots. Had terrible blisters, couldn't walk another step. Went home. Came back, walked the rest in sandals. No blisters.

No two people's feet are identical. The choice of sandal, shoe, or boot is highly individual and depends on your comfort with whatever socks you plan to wear while walking. Don't forget to allow room for swelling, as well as the toes pushing against the front of the "toe box" on downhill stretches.

For enclosed shoes or boots, I found that sizing at least one, to one-and-a-half sizes large seems to work for many people who wear two pairs of socks (thin liner and thick outer). The extra sizing works out to: 1/2 size for downhill toe box bumping, 1/2 size for normal sweating and foot swelling, and 1/2 size for those people whose feet will become temporarily enlarged as a result of walking for several weeks with weight on one's back.

Not everyone's feet enlarge over time (mine do). Not everyone's feet swell after several hours walking (mine do). But everyone's feet will bump against the inside of the toe box on downhill stretches. This is how you bruise toes, make blisters and lose toenails. Also if you are wearing laced footwear, be sure to lace the shoes properly so the heel is locked into the rear of the heel counter. You are trying to allow the heel to move up and down slightly, but not fore and aft while walking. Check You Tube for many ways to lace hiking shoes or boots. For laced sandals, the same rules apply.

Also, you need to check with the manufacture of your shoe to determine if the sizing runs true to size. Some shoe brands and models run up to 1/2 size small or large, depending on the shoe or boot. My Keen Targhee II mid-height boots (a very popular model along the Camino routes) run 1/2 size small. So, my size 45 (US 11) street shoe translates to a size 47 (US 13) hiking boot...yikes! Yes, they do look rather like boats when on me. That is the 1 and 1/2 extra sizes discussed, PLUS the extra 1/2 size due to this make and model running 1/2 size SMALL.

Walking with sandals makes sense for some people, along some Camino routes, at certain times of the year. However, I doubt that one solution will work for all people at all times.

I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hola, everybody!

As some of you probably know already, blisters have been delaying my journey since day 1.
I had to stop at every 40 or 50 mins to dry up my feet and boots for about 20 mins. which was insane.

I could walk again.

Sun, dirt, stones, big stones, many stones, sharp stones, rain, slippery road, dry sticks,
I could walk.

Next problem.

It was a very windy day.
Watching other pilgrims fearlessly walking in wind from inside of a taxi was not a very pleasant experience.

That's all that matters.

Let me tell you something, Compeed works great for patching up a hole in sandal. ;)
Seriously, it does.
It was not comfortable but I had only 2 more days to Santiago and 5 more days to Finisterre and Muxia.

From Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia, I walked in sandals a hole in the middle. :D

And 2 big tubes of muscle cream, a half pack of Ibuprofen, numerous band aids and blister kits,
AND other pilgrims.

It's almost midnight.
See you soon again.

Hello Soo. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt post. It was raw and emotional and I could feel your pain. Literally. I had tendonitis issues that plagued me
for most of my camino, but nothing compared to what you endured. I had trained extensively and thought I had the right shoe, but nothing prepared my
feet for the rocky surfaces. A few weeks of rest and now the pain is a fuzzy memory. One day you will be able to feel justifiable pride in your accomplishment
will focus on the joyful times, friendships made and beauty of the landscape. You are very tough. Stand tall. Buen camino

It's not just your feet but knees etc. My feet have no problems with sandals but the general lack of support means eventually my knees start aching.

You are a very brave girl SooYunKim.....congratulations on making it right to the end despite all the adversity, the pain and the anguish of blisters, cramps and swollen sore legs.....you are an inspiration. Camino Hugs to you....susanawee.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It feels quite wonderful to hear all those kind words about how brave I've been.(It really does! ;))

Almost everyone on Camino walks with pain on their feet, ankles, knees or joints whether for a short period of time or all the way to Santiago.
Each one has their own solution for their problem.
That's why I do not 'recommend' walking Camino in sandals.
It worked for me, but I can not say it will work for someone else with same problem as I did.
It may, it may not.

All the moments on Camino was precious to me.
There's not even one bad moment or experience.
I had a hard time dealing with blisters, boots, sandals and other things.
But I do not consider them as 'bad' experience.
Painful but enjoyable and doable. :D

I would walk Camino again if I have a chance.
Probably in sandals again but better ones.
Oh well, since I want to walk Camino in Winter next time, sandals would not be suitable.
Anyway,
Thank you all for kind words.
Merry Christmas & Buen Camino. :)

Soo

I made 120 miles into the walk last summer in Teva Lites with no problem (sun, rocks, sticks, water, etc), then suddenly the bottoms of my feet got terribly sore to the point i could barely walk. I cancelled the walk, came home, and went to the doctor. He said i had "skinny feet", which meant i had very little fat and cartilage in the bottom of my feet. He said i needed a shoe with more cushioning, and recommended Merrills. I've got them and am breaking them in and will go back next year, using the Merrills and Tevas to continue on. We'll see . . .

Hola, everybody!

I could walk again.

I could walk.

Next problem.

It was a very windy day.

That's all that matters.

Seriously, it does.

AND other pilgrims.

It's almost midnight.
See you soon again.

My daughter also handed me her boots and walked in sandals after she started to develop blisters and she also lost a toe nail. Whatever it takes to keep on walking she was an all-star and the greatest trip of my life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, sandals! I started in New Balance Minimus but ended up walking a little over half of my camino in what my friend called "Jesus creepers" -- they are a few millimeters of rubber for a sole held to my foot by a piece of string. You're essentially barefoot but the rubber helps soften some of the sharper edges. In Mexico they're called huaraches. I got a kit to make them from a company called Xero Shoes.

Never had a blister and rarely had sore feet, other than a few stretches where the camino was paved in rough gravel. Also the mornings could get chilly (late Oct/Nov). On the other hand, people introduce themselves wanting to see if you're as crazy as you look; they made a good conversation starter if you're looking to make a few amigos.

Don't even DARE to talk of throwing those sandals away! It's like throwing your children away! My boots gave way after nearly 3,000 kilometers but I have them in my wardrobe. When I see them I am reminded of how every morning on my Caminos I would say hello to them, ask them if they had rested well and apologise for leaving them on their own with strangers all night. :rolleyes:

We walked in the Fall, the mornings could be cool. So as a rule I walked the first two hours of the morning in my KEEN Men's Targhee II Boots.
I also used my Boots on muddy days.

I hiked about 1/2 of the Camino, in my Teva Toachi 2 Sandals.

Sandal pro's..
Cooler feet
Less shoe contact/rubbing
On long down hills, Sandals won't bruise my longest toe (hurts and toe nail falls off)

Sandal con's
No ankle support
It can really hurts when you (accidentally) kick something

Hint....
When I buy my Sandals, I always buy them a full size too big.
I buy triple adjustable Sandals with real hiking soles
I adjust my foot to be at the back of the Sandal
This leaves my toes 3/4” (2cm) from the end of the Sandals.
It (may) look funny but gives me a “bumper” when I happen to kick something

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
He said i had "skinny feet", which meant i had very little fat and cartilage in the bottom of my feet. He said i needed a shoe with more cushioning, and recommended Merrills. I've got them and am breaking them in and will go back next year, using the Merrills and Tevas to continue on. We'll see . . .

William, if the shoes fail you, perhaps you would like to try collagen injections on the ball of the foot. Used by some women so they can wear the 4 inch styletto shoes ;0)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back