• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

39 Tips for Hiking the Camino Frances

Laynni

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (12)
Norte/Primitivo (16)
Portuguese (23)
Well, apparently it is planning season again since a lot of prospective pilgrims are starting to ask us for advice, so we decided to put together a bit of a cheat sheet. Most of these tips will apply to any Camino, although they are based specifically on our time on the Camino Francés. And, of course, these are only opinions, and not everyone will agree with all of them. But here they are nonetheless. And if you want to read an even less objective account of our Camino experience, or see some photos, you can check out our blog entries from the hike: http://deanjohnston.net/category/europe/camino-de-santiago/

Buen camino!

1. Good shoes (or boots) are everything on the Camino. Solid and broken-in are the keys. We saw all sorts of footwear that worked for different people, but did notice that a higher percentage of people wearing joggers or cross-trainers ended up regretting it. Remember, they may feel solid under normal circumstances, but they will need to be a lot stronger once you add your backpack to the mix.

2. Pay close attention to your blisters. Every single person we knew got at least a couple blisters over the course of the hike, and nearly everyone had a different theory on how to deal with them, but the one thing everyone agreed on was to take care of them as soon as possible before they got any worse. As soon as you feel any noticeable friction, stop and address it using whatever method you have chosen to go with (band-aids, Compeed, moleskin, whatever). And if they get really bad you might have to suck it up and take a day or two off. The only people we met who didn’t make it as far as they intended had to quit because of blisters.

3. I’m sure you’ve heard this one a million times, but pack light! 7 to 8 kg or less is relatively light, although of course we saw extremes in both directions. The pain in your feet and the weight on your back are the two things you will feel every second on the trail.

4. I would only suggest one pair of pants in addition to your hiking pants and I would suggest those be lounging/pajama pants, short enough not to drag in all the unappealing stuff found on albergue floors. You won’t look cool but you’ll be dry and comfortable. There are exceptions, but everyone we met on the Camino socialized with other pilgrims, and nobody cared that you went to the bar in the same pants you wore hiking all day (and all month). And I would go so far as to suggest that if you really want a night out in León or somewhere and want to look good, you might be happier buying new clothes there and leaving them behind than carrying a pair of jeans and trendy shoes for 5 weeks just to use them once.

5. Get the lightest sleeping bag you can find. The albergues aren’t always heated but you will be inside, and the people warm up the room. We hiked through October and into early November and the temperature hit freezing occasionally. Our sleeping bags are quite light, but are rated to 0 Celsius and we were always too hot. If you hike in a warmer time of year you might even be able to get away with a sleep sheet.

6. You will probably end up second-guessing some of your packing choices after you hike for a while. It is possible to mail stuff ahead to Santiago if there are things you can live without. Several people we knew mailed things from Pamplona to Santiago and it worked out fine (despite the supposed 30-day holding rule).

7. Make as much of your wardrobe merino wool as possible - it dries fast and somehow takes forever to start to smell. Everything else should at least be quick-dry material since you will often want to do laundry when you finish hiking, or it will just be soaked with sweat. Either way, you’ll need it dry by morning.

8. Don’t bother carrying huge amounts of water. Just figure out where the next place with water is (usually every 5-8 km) and pack enough to get you there, with maybe an extra half-litre just in case.

9. Bring a medical kit, some duct tape and a little tube of superglue. I have no idea when or why you will need them, just that you will need all three at some point.

10. Other than those things, don’t bring anything “just in case” - you can pick up virtually anything you happen to need along the way, even decent hiking gear.

11. Ear plugs are essential if you are going to be staying in dorms. Absolutely essential.

12. Over the course of a month you are guaranteed to hit some rain, and when you do you will want everything to be fully waterproof. Pants and shoes obviously, and a jacket or poncho that goes over top of your pack. Pack covers are nice in a pinch but don’t cut it for hours in the rain. Something I overlooked and really regretted were waterproof gloves. You may not need them in summer, but when it rained in November it was cold and once my gloves soaked through (basically immediately) I couldn’t feel my hands for the rest of the day.

13. Only carry walking poles if they pack up small and you know how to use them. Based on the terrain, they are probably not necessary 75% of the time (or more), and many people didn’t seem to be helping themselves much when they did use them. But if you’ve used them before there are some steep and slippery sections where they could be very useful.

14. Bring a smartphone to use for photos, internet, music and, of course, as a phone. If it is unlocked I would by a Spanish sim card, or if you are an EU citizen your home plan might work fine. Either way it is really handy to be able to communicate with fellow pilgrims as most people split up over the course of the days and weeks.

15. Don’t bring your laptop unless you absolutely have to for some reason. And only bring an iPad if you are using it as a replacement for a book or e-reader. Otherwise a much smaller phone is a better idea.

16. If you aren’t already reading on your phone or iPad, bring an e-reader or just one book, don’t make the mistake of carrying a bunch of spares.

17. While we are on that subject, please read something - it’s creepy when you just lie there for hours staring at the bunk above you.

18. Bring a guidebook. If you don’t, you’ll just spend a lot of your time borrowing from other people and asking if anyone knows how much further to the next coffee machine. It is a good idea to tear out the pages as you go. Then you can carry them in your pocket for handy reference and throw them out at the end of the day.

19. Bring a head lamp for reading, midnight bathroom runs, and finding your albergue in the dark after too many bottles of wine.

20. Learn to pack your backpack as efficiently as possible (i.e. how to best distribute the weight) and know what each of the straps does. We helped one guy who had been hiking for 5 days already with his pack sitting at a 45 degree angle because one of the straps wasn’t tightened.

21. Keep an extra pair of socks hanging off your pack and switch back and forth every time you take a break. It feels great, and dry feet are less likely to develop blisters.

22. A water bladder is fine if you are hiking alone because a bottle can be a pain in the ass to get at. But if you are travelling as a pair, or have a very convenient bottle holder, I would go with bottles because they are so much easier to fill up as you go. Most people using bladders (myself included) ended up carrying more water than was absolutely necessary just because they are so annoying to fill at trailside fountains.

23. If you don’t particularly care about “doing it all on your own” there are a companies who will transfer your pack to your next destination for about 8 euros per day. Some feel this is some form of cheating, while others argued they weren’t doing this to punish themselves so why not make it more enjoyable? You decide.

24. If you have a choice, I would hike in fall. Summer is apparently ridiculously busy, and obviously very hot. September would be good but I hear it is getting much busier, too. We went in October and the last 3 weeks were nice and cool, although by the start of November a few albergues were starting to close. But there were fewer pilgrims, too, so it should work out.

25. If you are not hiking during peak season you probably don’t need to worry about getting to your next destination early. It is so much more relaxing not to rush, there is nothing to do when you get there anyway, and often the last arrivals ended up getting whole dorms rooms to themselves because they naturally fill up every room in order. Pay attention the first few nights to decide if you have to worry about places filling up and if not, go slow.

26. You should try to shop for snacks and breakfast foods immediately upon arrival in a new town - shop hours are erratic, once you shower and take off your hikers you won’t want to put them back on, and there is always a good chance that celebratory afternoon beer will turn into 10.

27. Learn to wash your clothes in sinks and showers, then do it as part of your daily ritual as soon as you settle in at the albergue.

28. Be friendly. You will cross paths with some people once and then never see them again. But some of the people you see the first couple days will end up in your orbit over and over again all month. Might as well get to know them now instead of after the seventh awkward encounter.

29. The Pilgrim’s Menus are a set meal offered by most restaurants and are generally the best deal around. A lot of places let you order a partial menu for less money (many of the girls found this to be enough).

30. Don’t expect to lose a bunch of weight. Sure, you’ll burn a lot of calories but the diet is carb-heavy, and trust me when I tell you that at the end of a 25-kilometre day you are not going to feel like denying yourself anything, least of all food and drink.

31. There are three different sizes of beer: a jara is usually the biggest jug you can get, a caño is usually about the size of a pint, and a caña is barely bigger than a shot of beer and is, in my humble, a complete waste of the time it takes to order.

32. There is a small Camino passport called a credencial that you need to pick up from a Pilgrim’s Office before you start. It gets stamped in each place you stay along the way (and in restaurants if you want) and you must have one to stay in the albergues. The symbolic scallop shell is completely optional, but oh so fashion forward.

33. Go to Mass at least once, preferably in one of the big churches in Burgos or León, or the all-pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles. Of course, if you are a practicing Catholic you should probably go more than that.

34. Take your time - rest days feel really, really good. The main problem, though, is convincing yourself to stay behind if you have friends moving on.

35. Speaking some Spanish is polite and can come in handy, but it is certainly not essential.

36. People always ask how much it costs. It is different for everyone, but if you stay in albergues, eat Pilgrim’s Menus and don’t drink your weight in cerveza every night, you are probably looking at around 30 euro per day plus snacks, alcohol and splurge days.

37. People also always ask about ATMs. Rest easy, there are lots.

38. Decent budget hotels are not very expensive (25-35 euro in the bigger cities) and can be a pretty amazing break from dorms now and then.

39. Hiking the Camino Francés is definitely difficult, exceptionally so at times, but based on what we saw literally anyone can manage it if they are determined enough and willing to stick to a pace their body can handle.

Any more questions, send me a message and we’ll see if we can help. Happy planning!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very thorough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

17. While we are on that subject, please read something - it’s creepy when you just lie there for hours staring at the bunk above you.

19. Bring a head lamp for reading, midnight bathroom runs .....
A very thorough list; thank you. I have two comments:

Re #17 - :confused: Creepy for whom? You? Or the person laying there for hours staring at the bunk above himself? :D

Re #19 - I would not recommend using a headlight if you are sharing a room with others. A headlight is too glaring, will disturb your fellow peregrinos and will not make you any friends. Use a little red light for midnight runs; even a small white light is disruptive. :)

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I sooooooooooo disagree with #1

There will be just as many people that HATE the boots they brought.
There will be just as many people that LOVE the runners they brought
Ect.....

#2 really depends on the weather. If it it boiling hot, you do want to bring lots of water. I walk (i kept track) 5km p/h including taking lots of brakes. So i will reach a waterpoint fairly quickly. Alot of people walk slow, Some people walk really slow and for them it takes a couple of hours to walk 5-8kms
If it is really hot, they should bring more then enough water. Very important.

Last edited:
Good list , although I don't follow lists but my common sense ( showing my age here ;) )
Regarding " 33. Go to Mass at least once, preferably in one of the big churches in Burgos or León, or the all-pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles. Of course, if you are a practicing Catholic you should probably go more."

Why a bigger church? That is completely your opinion. Because I myself, and many others I guess, prefer the smaller parish churches ( Triacastela and Ventosa spring to mind ). Much more intimate and less touristy.

Hi -what a good summary list. I would also mention the word "knees" in #3 and therefore the walking poles in #13 can be very useful for the knees in terrain -such as the Camino Norte. And to add to #30 you may not lose weight but you will have great toned muscles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, apparently it is planning season again since a lot of prospective pilgrims are starting to ask us for advice, so we decided to put together a bit of a cheat sheet. Most of these tips will apply to any Camino, although they are based specifically on our time on the Camino Francés. And, of course, these are only opinions, and not everyone will agree with all of them. But here they are nonetheless. And if you want to read an even less objective account of our Camino experience, or see some photos, you can check out our blog entries from the hike: http://deanjohnston.net/category/europe/camino-de-santiago/

Buen camino!

1. Good shoes (or boots) are everything on the Camino. Solid and broken-in are the keys. We saw all sorts of footwear that worked for different people, but did notice that a higher percentage of people wearing joggers or cross-trainers ended up regretting it. Remember, they may feel solid under normal circumstances, but they will need to be a lot stronger once you add your backpack to the mix.

2. Pay close attention to your blisters. Every single person we knew got at least a couple blisters over the course of the hike, and nearly everyone had a different theory on how to deal with them, but the one thing everyone agreed on was to take care of them as soon as possible before they got any worse. As soon as you feel any noticeable friction, stop and address it using whatever method you have chosen to go with (band-aids, Compeed, moleskin, whatever). And if they get really bad you might have to suck it up and take a day or two off. The only people we met who didn’t make it as far as they intended had to quit because of blisters.

3. I’m sure you’ve heard this one a million times, but pack light! 7 to 8 kg or less is relatively light, although of course we saw extremes in both directions. The pain in your feet and the weight on your back are the two things you will feel every second on the trail.

4. I would only suggest one pair of pants in addition to your hiking pants and I would suggest those be lounging/pajama pants, short enough not to drag in all the unappealing stuff found on albergue floors. You won’t look cool but you’ll be dry and comfortable. There are exceptions, but everyone we met on the Camino socialized with other pilgrims, and nobody cared that you went to the bar in the same pants you wore hiking all day (and all month). And I would go so far as to suggest that if you really want a night out in León or somewhere and want to look good, you might be happier buying new clothes there and leaving them behind than carrying a pair of jeans and trendy shoes for 5 weeks just to use them once.

5. Get the lightest sleeping bag you can find. The albergues aren’t always heated but you will be inside, and the people warm up the room. We hiked through October and into early November and the temperature hit freezing occasionally. Our sleeping bags are quite light, but are rated to 0 Celsius and we were always too hot. If you hike in a warmer time of year you might even be able to get away with a sleep sheet.

6. You will probably end up second-guessing some of your packing choices after you hike for a while. It is possible to mail stuff ahead to Santiago if there are things you can live without. Several people we knew mailed things from Pamplona to Santiago and it worked out fine (despite the supposed 30-day holding rule).

7. Make as much of your wardrobe merino wool as possible - it dries fast and somehow takes forever to start to smell. Everything else should at least be quick-dry material since you will often want to do laundry when you finish hiking, or it will just be soaked with sweat. Either way, you’ll need it dry by morning.

8. Don’t bother carrying huge amounts of water. Just figure out where the next place with water is (usually every 5-8 km) and pack enough to get you there, with maybe an extra half-litre just in case.

9. Bring a medical kit, some duct tape and a little tube of superglue. I have no idea when or why you will need them, just that you will need all three at some point.

10. Other than those things, don’t bring anything “just in case” - you can pick up virtually anything you happen to need along the way, even decent hiking gear.

11. Ear plugs are essential if you are going to be staying in dorms. Absolutely essential.

12. Over the course of a month you are guaranteed to hit some rain, and when you do you will want everything to be fully waterproof. Pants and shoes obviously, and a jacket or poncho that goes over top of your pack. Pack covers are nice in a pinch but don’t cut it for hours in the rain. Something I overlooked and really regretted were waterproof gloves. You may not need them in summer, but when it rained in November it was cold and once my gloves soaked through (basically immediately) I couldn’t feel my hands for the rest of the day.

13. Only carry walking poles if they pack up small and you know how to use them. Based on the terrain, they are probably not necessary 75% of the time (or more), and many people didn’t seem to be helping themselves much when they did use them. But if you’ve used them before there are some steep and slippery sections where they could be very useful.

14. Bring a smartphone to use for photos, internet, music and, of course, as a phone. If it is unlocked I would by a Spanish sim card, or if you are an EU citizen your home plan might work fine. Either way it is really handy to be able to communicate with fellow pilgrims as most people split up over the course of the days and weeks.

15. Don’t bring your laptop unless you absolutely have to for some reason. And only bring an iPad if you are using it as a replacement for a book or e-reader. Otherwise a much smaller phone is a better idea.

16. If you aren’t already reading on your phone or iPad, bring an e-reader or just one book, don’t make the mistake of carrying a bunch of spares.

18. Bring a guidebook. If you don’t, you’ll just spend a lot of your time borrowing from other people and asking if anyone knows how much further to the next coffee machine. It is a good idea to tear out the pages as you go. Then you can carry them in your pocket for handy reference and throw them out at the end of the day.

19. Bring a head lamp for reading, midnight bathroom runs, and finding your albergue in the dark after too many bottles of wine.

20. Learn to pack your backpack as efficiently as possible (i.e. how to best distribute the weight) and know what each of the straps does. We helped one guy who had been hiking for 5 days already with his pack sitting at a 45 degree angle because one of the straps wasn’t tightened.

21. Keep an extra pair of socks hanging off your pack and switch back and forth every time you take a break. It feels great, and dry feet are less likely to develop blisters.

22. A water bladder is fine if you are hiking alone because a bottle can be a pain in the ass to get at. But if you are travelling as a pair, or have a very convenient bottle holder, I would go with bottles because they are so much easier to fill up as you go. Most people using bladders (myself included) ended up carrying more water than was absolutely necessary just because they are so annoying to fill at trailside fountains.

23. If you don’t particularly care about “doing it all on your own” there are a companies who will transfer your pack to your next destination for about 8 euros per day. Some feel this is some form of cheating, while others argued they weren’t doing this to punish themselves so why not make it more enjoyable? You decide.

24. If you have a choice, I would hike in fall. Summer is apparently ridiculously busy, and obviously very hot. September would be good but I hear it is getting much busier, too. We went in October and the last 3 weeks were nice and cool, although by the start of November a few albergues were starting to close. But there were fewer pilgrims, too, so it should work out.

25. If you are not hiking during peak season you probably don’t need to worry about getting to your next destination early. It is so much more relaxing not to rush, there is nothing to do when you get there anyway, and often the last arrivals ended up getting whole dorms rooms to themselves because they naturally fill up every room in order. Pay attention the first few nights to decide if you have to worry about places filling up and if not, go slow.

26. You should try to shop for snacks and breakfast foods immediately upon arrival in a new town - shop hours are erratic, once you shower and take off your hikers you won’t want to put them back on, and there is always a good chance that celebratory afternoon beer will turn into 10.

27. Learn to wash your clothes in sinks and showers, then do it as part of your daily ritual as soon as you settle in at the albergue.

28. Be friendly. You will cross paths with some people once and then never see them again. But some of the people you see the first couple days will end up in your orbit over and over again all month. Might as well get to know them now instead of after the seventh awkward encounter.

29. The Pilgrim’s Menus are a set meal offered by most restaurants and are generally the best deal around. A lot of places let you order a partial menu for less money (many of the girls found this to be enough).

30. Don’t expect to lose a bunch of weight. Sure, you’ll burn a lot of calories but the diet is carb-heavy, and trust me when I tell you that at the end of a 25-kilometre day you are not going to feel like denying yourself anything, least of all food and drink.

31. There are three different sizes of beer: a jara is usually the biggest jug you can get, a caño is usually about the size of a pint, and a caña is barely bigger than a shot of beer and is, in my humble, a complete waste of the time it takes to order.

32. There is a small Camino passport called a credencial that you need to pick up from a Pilgrim’s Office before you start. It gets stamped in each place you stay along the way (and in restaurants if you want) and you must have one to stay in the albergues. The symbolic scallop shell is completely optional, but oh so fashion forward.

33. Go to Mass at least once, preferably in one of the big churches in Burgos or León, or the all-pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles. Of course, if you are a practicing Catholic you should probably go more than that.

34. Take your time - rest days feel really, really good. The main problem, though, is convincing yourself to stay behind if you have friends moving on.

35. Speaking some Spanish is polite and can come in handy, but it is certainly not essential.

36. People always ask how much it costs. It is different for everyone, but if you stay in albergues, eat Pilgrim’s Menus and don’t drink your weight in cerveza every night, you are probably looking at around 30 euro per day plus snacks, alcohol and splurge days.

38. Decent budget hotels are not very expensive (25-35 euro in the bigger cities) and can be a pretty amazing break from dorms now and then.

39. Hiking the Camino Francés is definitely difficult, exceptionally so at times, but based on what we saw literally anyone can manage it if they are determined enough and willing to stick to a pace their body can handle.

Any more questions, send me a message and we’ll see if we can help. Happy planning!

Great summary from a newbie and I mean that as a compliment. I am anxious to see your post after you have walked the Camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re #19 - I would not recommend using a headlight if you are sharing a room with others. A headlight is too glaring, will disturb your fellow peregrinos and will not make you any friends. Use a little red light for midnight runs; even a small white light is disruptive. :)

My headlamp has a red setting. I think many do. Hopefully this will be dim enough to prevent waking anyone.

My headlamp has a red setting. I think many do. Hopefully this will be dim enough to prevent waking anyone.
A red light setting by itself won't stop you waking others. It will preserve their night vision, but don't expect them to grateful for that consideration on your part. A dim light pointed down at the floor will minimize the chances of waking others, whether it is red or white. If it is a headlamp, don't wear it on your head, but hold it pointing downwards.

ok,here is the old codgers tips.
ALBERGUE'S
never sleep near a door that leads out, a toilet(unless you have a prostrate problem) check out men of a certain age and size zzzzz
dont bother with fancy bulky sleeping bags,a liner is fine,and if silk will help with the bedbugs!!!.the spanish for blanket is manta make it your mantra, look and ask for the lost property box,its amazing what people disgard.get a shower sooner rather than later,wash socks in the hot water you will not find any in the washing sinks (bring a plug with you) dry yourself with a fleece top and don,t forget your fancy shower gel unless you want to make a donation to me ;-).
remember you can throw a stick and hit an Albergue or bed anywhere on the CF so whats the rush slow down enjoy the way i love the afternoons and early evenings i feel like i have the whole camino to myself, why que for a bed between 12-2pm then sit on your bed twiderling your fingers,writing your journals washing your clothes over and over again,in bed by 9pm so you can get up in the dark and race to your next bed??? why not be a tortoise and enjoy what the whole day and the Camino has to offer.
oh never enter a toilet without paper in your pocket
never leave an Albergue-bar-bench shower without checking you have not left anything.
and if you see an elderly Englishman with a grey beard and blue eyes offer to buy him a drink

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
i love the afternoons and early evenings i feel like i have the whole camino to myself

Definitely the best time of the day to be walking between Sarria and Santiago.

I appreciate the information on serving sizes of beer, although I wouldn't make the mistake of ordering the smallest size twice. Now I won't do it once.

Cerveza grande, por favor. The most import four words you'll ever learn in Spanish.

ALBERGUE'S
never sleep near a door that leads out, a toilet(unless you have a prostrate problem) check out men of a certain age and size zzzzz
dont bother with fancy bulky sleeping bags,a liner is fine,and if silk will help with the bedbugs!!!.the spanish for blanket is manta make it your mantra, look and ask for the lost property box,its amazing what people disgard.get a shower sooner rather than later,wash socks in the hot water you will not find any in the washing sinks (bring a plug with you) dry yourself with a fleece top and don,t forget your fancy shower gel unless you want to make a donation to me ;-).
remember you can throw a stick and hit an Albergue or bed anywhere on the CF so whats the rush slow down enjoy the way i love the afternoons and early evenings i feel like i have the whole camino to myself, why que for a bed between 12-2pm then sit on your bed twiderling your fingers,writing your journals washing your clothes over and over again,in bed by 9pm so you can get up in the dark and race to your next bed??? why not be a tortoise and enjoy what the whole day and the Camino has to offer.
never leave an Albergue-bar-bench shower without checking you have not left anything.
and if you see an elderly Englishman with a grey beard and blue eyes offer to buy him a drink

Never walk anywhere without paper in your pocket
and if you see an elderly ex-pat from France with a grey beard and hazel eyes offer to buy him a drink

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
.............. and if you see an elderly Englishman with a grey beard and blue eyes offer to buy him a drink

It is a truth universally acknowledged that an Englishman, grey bearded and blue eyed, must be in want of a drink... ;)

............and this clean-shaven, blue-eyed Scotsman

I disagree with almost every point.
5, 8, and 32 are correct though the sneer about scallop shells was unnecessary.

And I hate phones. Don't bring your phone, a life mediated by digital media is shallow and the memories you end up with are linked to photos you took, not the actual world of one foot in front of another that you lived.

:)

And the bit about blue eyed Brits applies to green eyed Brits too.

Very good information. As for the headlamp, I discovered that my iPhone is more useful. When you move around in the albergue in the night, just turning on the screen light is bright enough to see where you are going without disturbing anyone, and it has "flash light" built-in if you need the flashlight. Next time, I plan to leave my flashlight behind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nice list. However, I respectfully disagree with some of your points.
I'll put my comments in red so they can be seen:

1. . We saw all sorts of footwear that worked for different people, but did notice that a higher percentage of people wearing joggers or cross-trainers ended up regretting it. I absolutely disagree 100%. My experience was just the opposite. I noticed that MOST people I saw wearing hiking boots dumped them because of horrible blisters not only on the feet but around the ankles. This, as always, is a personal choice. If you are USED to wearing boots, ok, but if you're not, I suggest trail shoes. The soles ARE meant for rugged walking and you aren't supposed to be carrying 100 pound backpacks.

2. The only people we met who didn’t make it as far as they intended had to quit because of blisters. I also met many people who had to quit because of shin splints and tendonitis.

7. Make as much of your wardrobe merino wool as possible -I disagree. Over the years, I've learned to love lightweight cotton for anytime from May through September, and last year, I fell in love with bamboo, which is just as warm, just as quick drying, and much more rugged than wool. I do love wool, but it's not for everyone. And many people cannot afford it. It's fine just to take clothes from your closet. It's how people walked the Camino for MOST of its existence.

9. Bring a medical kit, some duct tape and a little tube of superglue. Every other pilgrim on the Camino will have these if you need them. So will every albergue. Don't bother with much more than a couple of bandaids and some compeed- it's just extra weight. I do take duct tape, about a foot, on my walking sticks.

12. Over the course of a month you are guaranteed to hit some rain, and when you do you will want everything to be fully waterproof. Pants and shoes obviously, and a jacket or poncho that goes over top of your pack. Pack covers are nice in a pinch but don’t cut it for hours in the rain. My pack has never gotten wet using my nysil pack cover. Waterproof shoes are a big NO - they cause more blisters b/c your feet cannot breathe. I do love my ALTUS poncho and windpants.

13. Only carry walking poles if they pack up small and you know how to use them. Based on the terrain, they are probably not necessary 75% of the time (or more), and many people didn’t seem to be helping themselves much when they did use them. But if you’ve used them before there are some steep and slippery sections where they could be very useful. You NEED walking sticks in 3 places I can think of right off the bat: 1) going downhill into Roncesvalles, 2) going downhill into Zubiri, 3) coming down off Alto Perdon. If you do not have sticks, you are very likely to fall. You can purchase a very inexpensive stick in SJPP or any other village, and it doesn't take rocket science to figure out how to use a stick. I will agree I've seen some funny looking attempts of people using sticks, but they'd look funnier on their butt on the ground. :)

14. Bring a smartphone to use for photos, internet, music and, of course, as a phone. If it is unlocked I would by a Spanish sim card, or if you are an EU citizen your home plan might work fine. Either way it is really handy to be able to communicate with fellow pilgrims as most people split up over the course of the days and weeks. Please consider leaving your electronics home and enjoying the sights and sounds of the Camino. If you have an emergency, 10 pilgrims in front and behind you will have a phone.

16. If you aren’t already reading on your phone or iPad, bring an e-reader or just one book, don’t make the mistake of carrying a bunch of spares. Don't take books. Instead, talk to people from other countries or take time alone looking at what's around you.

17. While we are on that subject, please read something - it’s creepy when you just lie there for hours staring at the bunk above you. Ummm... I would say this is YOUR problem. ::laughing:: And I'm creeped out that you're watching me lie there?

18. Bring a guidebook. If you don’t, you’ll just spend a lot of your time borrowing from other people and asking if anyone knows how much further to the next coffee machine. It is a good idea to tear out the pages as you go. Then you can carry them in your pocket for handy reference and throw them out at the end of the day. If you're SURE you'll never return, tear those pages out! However, I've been back 7 times. I did tear out pages once, and regretted it. I had to spend $$ on a new guidebook.

19. Bring a head lamp for reading, midnight bathroom runs, and finding your albergue in the dark after too many bottles of wine. I BEG you NOT to bring a headlamp. There is nothing worse than having some pilgrim shine their headlamp in your eyes at 5 am because they can't wait to get out the door. If you do bring a headlamp, please buy one with a red lamp that won't blind people around you.

24. If you have a choice, I would hike in fall. Summer is apparently ridiculously busy, and obviously very hot. September would be good but I hear it is getting much busier, too. We went in October and the last 3 weeks were nice and cool, although by the start of November a few albergues were starting to close. But there were fewer pilgrims, too, so it should work out. I've walked in all seasons except winter and I choose SPRING! The wildflowers are spectacular, the trails are not busy, and the bedbugs have not yet hatched. Have you walked in Spring?

29. The Pilgrim’s Menus are a set meal offered by most restaurants and are generally the best deal around. A lot of places let you order a partial menu for less money (many of the girls found this to be enough). The Menu del Dia is (for me) the best deal around. You get larger portions for less money, in my experience. In addition, you can eat your largest meal before 2 pm and not be starving by the time dinner comes around, which is late in many places. The Pilgrim Menu can get boring fast. Explore!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

This post was so helpful, thank you. My one question is I am wondering if a sleeping bag is absolutely necessary. I am only doing a three day stretch, so will I be able to get by without my own sleeping bag?

Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No 14:- Maybe not a smart phone but do take some sort of phone. Those of us carrying phones may not appreciate being asked to use our precious minutes or PAYG credit by folk who have chosen to leave their phone behind. True emergencies excepted.
We have helped to make a booking and taxi pick up when needed, but using the pilgrim's own phone. It was not an emergency but a need for a Spanish speaker and our own phone would have stayed in our pocket. Similar to folk who refuse to take a guide book of any sort and then spend the time asking to borrow from other pilgrims :mad:. We all help when needed but for some items it is perhaps rather selfish to expect the Camino (others) to provide.
29:- If there are at least 2 of you ordering a meal then quite often the Platos Combinados provide the best value. You can mix and match or for a lighter snack share one - and they will bring you a second set of cutlery and often a spare plate. You cannot do this with the set menus. We have ordered a main dish with a starter and shared, but they do need to know you want them brought to the table at the same time :)

9. Bring a medical kit, some duct tape and a little tube of superglue. Every other pilgrim on the Camino will have these if you need them. So will every albergue. Don't bother with much more than a couple of bandaids and some compeed- it's just extra weight. I do take duct tape, about a foot, on my walking sticks.

One of the things the military stresses is to NEVER, EVER use your medical equipment on someone else. You are carrying it to fix your problems; if you need a bandage for someone else, rip their dirty clothes apart, but keep clean sterile items for your own use. Saw hikers who hid their problems until after they had developed black, pus oozing, raw meat openings on their feet.

Was surprised how many hikers carried nothing at all for first aide issues.

And Laynni--How is the Lake elevation? Last time I was there , it looked like it would soon flood the San Marcos pier. Still need to visit the Iguana Perdito bar in Santa Cruz for the MANDATORY Saturday evening fun of Cross Dressing, Fire Dancing, and Karaoke that all customers must do.

This isn't a military exercise. There are showers and clean socks and a pharmacy by law has to be open within reach every day, I'm pretty sure. So far I haven't seen any black, oozing pus-filled sores or known of any amputations. Most people do carry a needle for blisters and repairs and if they don't, have the intelligence to sterilize even their own. I'm just saying you don't need to carry pills for every imagined condition and rolls of tape and gauze and bottles of alcohol and peroxide and merthiolate, etc., etc. Spain is not a third world country. Anything you need you can buy at the next village and if not, the Albergue or another pilgrim will share.

But as always, people should do what their gut tells them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
!

That's a great list. I hope you don't mind me correcting #31. No such thing as a 'caño' in Spain, unless it's the name given by a particular bar to their beer size; it's not a generic size nor will it be understood.

And cañas are great, you'll get a free tapa in places like León for each caña, more food, less alcohol. That's how we do things in Spain :)

Buen camino!

I'm sure that many/most of your comments will be helpful, but as one who has hiked various Camino routes 11 times, I respectfully disagree with some of your suggestions. Namely to wear boots. trail runners. My first Camino hike across Spain was a painful one because I wore boots--the same boots that I had recently worn while completing the John Muir Trail (210 miles in the Sierra Nevada). I have worn trail runners thousands of miles with much fewer problems. They do indeed get wet, but they also dry faster than boots. I am 74, yet find trail runner provide plenty of support for me.
With them, I strongly suggest hiking poles--not only are they great on ascending and descending, but getting through muddy sections and they add up to less wear and tear on your lower body, more strength training for your upper body.
Clothes in the evening--I carry a skirt; neck scarf; dressy, but low heeled sandals to wear to dinner. With that I wear my Smartwool black (base layer) top as I would a sweater. Much of the time my husband couldn't care less about dressing up or changing clothes for dinner, but I wash my hiking clothes almost every night and I like feeling a bit less grubby.
I, like others have mentioned, wonder how you can read at night in your bunk and no disturb others.
Blisters: I think the world is divided into two groups--those that get them (me), and those who don't (my husband). Bandaids are pretty useless in most cases because they curl up and don't stay in place. Many people like duct tape, but I don't because it pulls off tender skin when you remove it. I am proactive: I often wrap each toe with narrow, breathable tape and the ball of my foot with Omniflex (wider and also breathable) tape. I often wear Wright socks because they are double-layer. Alternately I wear Injinji toe socks with liner socks over. My husband wears liner socks only (with his trail runners) and I don't think he has ever had a blister! Before you leave home, be sure your shoes are comfortable. Shop for shoes in the evening--feet swell and for the same reason, get ones that are 1/2 to 1 size larger than normal to allow for expansion. Take a look at diagrams (online) if you need to lace your shoes different for any sore points or for descending hills (because you don't want your toes to hit the toe of the shoe).

I definitely agree one should pack lightly; my pack is usually 15 pounds. It is said that every pound on your feet is equal to five on your back--another reason to consider trail runners--but that said--everyone is different.

I have tried all sorts of water containers. Settled on the bladder (fill in the morning), but I also sometimes carry an empty soda bottle in a backpack pocket if I anticipate having to fill something during the day. I haven't weighed it, but I estimate that's an extra ounce :).

If you find yourself without waterproof gloves or mittens for your hands and it starts raining, you can use plastic (produce) bags.

When entering a bathroom in Spain (particularly in bars and restaurants), pay attention to where the light switch is because it is somewhat disconcerting when the timer runs out and you find yourself in the dark.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
pharmacy by law has to be open within reach every day, I'm pretty sure

Last June we had friend from Denmark ignore his feet for days until he had black, oozing sores. Of course, he carried nothing for First Aide. We did what we could and left him behind. This was on Friday-----The albergue where we left him, did what they could and arranged for a local nurse to look after him until Monday when a doctor would be on duty in the next town. Apparently Spanish doctors do NOT have to answer calls on weekends. He started walking again on the following Friday---with the local nurse! He made it to Santiago. He had a cell phone and kept the other Danish hikers walking with us informed of his status.

Also when my novia wanted an elastic bandage for her knee, we had to walk 10 kilometers to a town not on the Camino to find a Pharmacy that was open. Met a woman hiker who had a daughter with a broken arm and she also said she had difficult time finding pharmacies that were open where she could purchase pain killers.

Agree that Spain is not a Third world country--more like a Fourth world country. Unlike Spain, Even in the back country of Peru, Bolivia, or Guatemala, I can always find a tienda that is open on Sunday or in the afternoon and where I can buy soap or other small items.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if not, the Albergue or another pilgrim will share.
In Australia there is a name for this - bludging. It doesn't appear to me to be the responsibility of either albergues or other pilgrims to make provision for things that are, in reality, your personal responsibility. Those of us who do make adequate provision for ourselves are not your pack animals, and you are not doing us a personal favour by lightening our load by using our consumables.

As a Spaniard... Ouch...\\

Don't take it personally....Don't forget that we people here in Pennsylvania really are as dumb as we look.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Australia there is a name for this - bludging. It doesn't appear to me to be the responsibility of either albergues or other pilgrims to make provision for things that are, in reality, your personal responsibility. Those of us who do make adequate provision for ourselves are not your pack animals, and you are not doing us a personal favour by lightening our load by using our consumables.

Oh my.
Well, it's perfectly ok to say "no" and I've actually never seen someone asking to use someone else's consumables.
More often, a pilgrim will see someone in distress and offer to help.
But that's my experience.

I carry 2 bandaids, a mixed pack of Compeed, 4 ibuprofin, and a needle.
I also carry 4 to 6 antacids
That will pretty much cover any issue I have on the Camino.

If I get diarrhea, there is a pharmacy nearby, but I don't generally get diarrhea, so I don't carry any medication for it.
I don't expect to break a leg or arm, so I don't carry splinting materials.
I don't expect to get gashes, so I don't carry bandages and tape.
I don't expect to sprain an ankle, so I don't carry braces.
I don't expect to get an eye infection so I don't carry eye wash.

There is no way you can possible carry enough supplies to cover every situation.
And in most cases, whatever you might need is in a pharmacy very close by.

I don't mind sharing my few supplies with other pilgrims if they need them and my experience has been that MOST people are happy to share what they have.

But it's ok to say no.
And once again, I'm simply giving my opinion. :)
Carry as much as you like?

Xin Loi, ignoring one's feet sounds like simple stupidity to me, and I certainly wouldn't make it MY problem if someone refused to help themselves.

And ... Spain's infrastructure and medical care puts ours in the USA to shame, in my opinion.
There is always a pharmacy open nearby.
It may mean taking a taxi - it may not be within walking distance - but that's true everywhere.
Right now I'm in a resort in California and the nearest pharmacy is 12 miles away.
The nearest restaurant open on a Sunday is also 12 miles.
If I were walking, I'd be calling a taxi, just like if I were walking and needed help in Spain.

And once again, I'm simply giving my opinion.
I think that in the context of the original post, your comment carries more weight than being merely opinion. Given your experience and reputation, it will sound like advice, and it is in that context that I raise my objection.

I also agree that it is perfectly acceptable to say no. I have and will continue do so, but never in relation to genuine need such as first aid. My views on this were brought more sharply into focus when I walked St Olav's Way. The woman who made critical comments on the size of my pack on one day wasn't reluctant to ask to use something that I was carrying on the next day, or the following day. This even extended to asking to use my mobile and then my small ultrasil shopping bag for the whole day so she wouldn't have to carry her own bag. I clearly didn't need to do any food shopping! Her hypocrisy was boundless.

My view is simple. If you want to save weight by not carrying something yourself, don't expect others who have carried something you now find you need or wish to use to be sympathetic, particularly if it is a consumable. Sharing is one thing. Bludging something else.

Annie--taking a taxi? Many people after hearing our story ask why we did not take a taxi to the pharmacy to get an Ace Bandage. After 3 weeks of walking, taking a taxi never entered our minds. Only 10 kilometers each way? Let's go!

And I was not really talking about distance to a pharmacy , but the problem of finding anything open on a Sunday or on any afternoon during Siesta in Spain . Especially when you realize that during siesta you walked by the ONLY bar for miles that is normally open on a Monday. Took a lot od will power to NOT walk back 8 kilometers to get a couple liters of beer that evening.

"Resort" in California? When my cousin says that he means he is at a Drug Rehabilitation Center.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a great list. I hope you don't mind me correcting #31. No such thing as a 'caño' in Spain, unless it's the name given by a particular bar to their beer size; it's not a generic size nor will it be understood.

And cañas are great, you'll get a free tapa in places like León for each caña, more food, less alcohol. That's how we do things in Spain :)

Hmmm, maybe it was a very local term. We were told it by a bartender somewhere just after Pamplona, and just kept using it. Seemed to get what we wanted, probably just due to the bartenders making an educated guess - it probably fit right in with the rest of our poor Spanish accents...:)

[/QUOTE]

This post was so helpful, thank you. My one question is I am wondering if a sleeping bag is absolutely necessary. I am only doing a three day stretch, so will I be able to get by without my own sleeping bag?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

It depends on which stretch and what time of year. If the weather will be warm you could just take a sleep sheet or something. If it will be cooler you will need to look into the specific albergues - some have sheets and blankets for pilgrim use and some don't. Of course, during busy times even those ones can't guarantee there will be any left when you get there.

So I would look into it, but my first thought is to at least take something small, just in case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Actually, there is such a thing a a caño in Spain, but it has nothing to do with beer, rather sewage pipes. Alternatively it describes a man whose hair has turned white.

Interesting list!

My two cents:

#13 - Bring walking poles. No if, ands or buts!! You don't need them all the time, but I think that half a day of walking on the wrong terrain without them may very easily make the difference between making it all the way to SdC and not making it.

#17 - If you lie on your bunk for hours, staring at the mattress of the bunk above you, you didn't walk long enough that day. Even with snoring, I fell asleep fairly quickly every night.

#19 - Like several others noted above, my headlamp also has a red light setting. However, although I had a headlamp with me, I never used it. For me, if I was up so early that I needed to use a headlamp to leave, I was leaving WAY too early. :rolleyes:

Buen Camino everyone!

Kathy

Last edited:
Actually, there is such a thing a a caño in Spain, but it has nothing to do with beer, rather sewage pipes. Alternatively it describes a man whose hair has turned white.

A caño is sometimes used in reference to beer and it is a little bigger than a caña, but most of the time it's called a ''tubo'' in relation to the pipe shape of the glass it's served in.

Caño=tubo=pipe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A caño is sometimes used in reference to beer and it is a little bigger than a caña, but most of the time it's called a ''tubo'' in relation to the pipe shape of the glass it's served in.

Caño=tubo=pipe.
Sorry but the OP is right, a caña is a measurement of beer :) it's feminine!

Sorry but the OP is right, a caña is a measurement of beer :) it's feminine!

I never said the contrary.
I was trying to explain the use of caño as oppose to caña.
Both are measurements of beer, albeit caño is not commonly used. Instead they use tubo to identify a glass of beer that is bigger then a caña.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I never said the contrary.
I was trying to explain the use of caño as oppose to caña.
Both are measurements of beer, albeit caño is not commonly used. Instead they use tubo to identify a glass of beer that is bigger then a caña.
Seriously, and this debate is already stale, there is no caño in Spain regarding beers. Zurito, caña, botijo, botellín, copa, tercio, barro, jarra, pinta, mini... Those will all get you beer. Buen Camino y Salud! (Our toast)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen camino!

Thanks for the advice. I like all the comments as well. Having through-hiked the AT I like all the advice and lessons learned.

ALBERGUE'S

So Toilet Paper is not something that is provided in Albergues and public toilets?? Just wondering??

So Toilet Paper is not something that is provided in Albergues and public toilets?? Just wondering??
It probably is, but never in enough quantity to meet all the demand. It is safer to have a small supply with you. You could contribute to the problem by collecting your stash at an albergue!

I think part of the the difficulty is that TP is rarely sold in single rolls. I certainly didn't see any like that on either the CF or CI. People are naturally reluctant to buy half a dozen rolls just to get the small quantity they think they might need.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Cerveza grande, por favor" works all over the place. It gives you a big beer, you can take off your shoes, light a fag, and relax for 20 mins. ;)

Other than that, I think the OP delivered many good points, thank you, although I dissent with some. But that is only my opinion. His post was very well intended and very helpful for newbies, IMHO. I always strive to take anyone's opinions in a positive way.

Oh my.
Well, it's perfectly ok to say "no" and I've actually never seen someone asking to use someone else's consumables.
More often, a pilgrim will see someone in distress and offer to help.
But that's my experience.

If I get diarrhea, there is a pharmacy nearby, but I don't generally get diarrhea, so I don't carry any medication for it.
I don't expect to break a leg or arm, so I don't carry splinting materials.
I don't expect to get gashes, so I don't carry bandages and tape.
I don't expect to sprain an ankle, so I don't carry braces.
I don't expect to get an eye infection so I don't carry eye wash.

And ... Spain's infrastructure and medical care puts ours in the USA to shame, in my opinion.
There is always a pharmacy open nearby.

Well Annie - its all very well to say "I don't get ...... (fill in as necessary)". Unfortunately ACCIDENTS do happen - you say that there will be others to help/provide, well judging by the bare essentials that you carry you won't be the one sharing (imho). Me, I try to be as self sufficient as possible and to be able to help others, especially the girl/man who helped me the day before order a meal or in the shop. There is a saying in Oz/USA - what comes around/goes around - which basically means if you help others, they or someone else will help you.
Buen Camino and be prepared!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seriously, and this debate is already stale, there is no caño in Spain regarding beers. Zurito, caña, botijo, botellín, copa, tercio, barro, jarra, pinta, mini... Those will all get you beer. Buen Camino y Salud! (Our toast)
Gee - I was under the impression that there was only one size for Camino - Cerveza grande!!!! :);):D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I must confess.

After a few hours of walking, there is nothing better than arriving at a cafe, take off my boots and air my feet, with a cerveza grande and a cigarette before continuing...

But beer is so much more than just a breakfast drink, mind you. ;)

Last edited:
Me, I try to be as self sufficient as possible and to be able to help others, especially the girl/man who helped me the day before order a meal or in the shop. There is a saying in Oz/USA - what comes around/goes around - which basically means if you help others, they or someone else will help you.
Buen Camino and be prepared!!

That's wonderful of you, Mike.. you are truly a Saint! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the things the military stresses is to NEVER, EVER use your medical equipment on someone else. You are carrying it to fix your problems; if you need a bandage for someone else, rip their dirty clothes apart, but keep clean sterile items for your own use. Saw hikers who hid their problems until after they had developed black, pus oozing, raw meat openings on their feet.

Was surprised how many hikers carried nothing at all for first aide issues.

And Laynni--How is the Lake elevation? Last time I was there , it looked like it would soon flood the San Marcos pier. Still need to visit the Iguana Perdito bar in Santa Cruz for the MANDATORY Saturday evening fun of Cross Dressing, Fire Dancing, and Karaoke that all customers must do.

It wasn't too bad this year as far as the water rising on Atitlan. Right at the end of the rainy season we got a bunch, just enough to cause everyone a few more dock issues (raise it again, boys!). But for the most part it didn't go up as much as in previous years. We're actually in Bali right now so I don't know the latest but I would assume it is slowly working its way back down now that it is dry season. And I agree, Atitlan night life tends to be unique whichever village you're in...;)

Great tips from your Caminos. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Saramago. when I saw your post above, it set me to remembering last year and your dreadful experience with the falling bunk beds in the hostel....just wondering how you are now and sending you a Camino Hug. Cheers..

Hi, I will be starting my walk in 2 weeks and I have been unable to find a listing of the towns and the distances between them, along the Frances way. Does anybody know where I can track one down to better plan my days and breaks in between? I plan on picking up a map before I start, but would like to make some early plans. And of course any tips or info you feel I should know, would always be appreciated. Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have a look at the resources section here, there is a list of albergues on the CF also have a look in your local book shop and see if they sell Guides to the Camino. If you tell us where you live, we can tell you better where to find the information. Also, don't forget to get a Credential, either at home or on arrival. Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Really helpful list. I found most of it very close to my own experience, especially considering the OP specifically emphasizes that these are only her opinions, something that seems lost on those who seem to enjoy adding antagonistic comments rather than accepting these suggestions for what they are - opinions. Just one example, telling people not to bring a headlamp. Not bringing some type of headlamp or torch is simply foolish, especially if you hike in the fall like I did and it didn't get light until 8:30. So to suggest that bringing a headlamp means I was flashing it in people's faces at 5am like the more argumentative posters on here suggest seems like just a way to start a fight. So unnecessary. We should appreciate it when people take the time to pass along information on forums like these, not attack them to try to justify our own choices. Like the guy who apparently "disagrees with almost every point". Like packing light, being friendly, washing your clothes? Give me a break.

Thanks again for the info, I'm sure potential pilgrims will find it very helpful.

Hiking CF Sept/Oct 2015... I don't like water, wine, or coffee! ... (ok I'll drink water if I must..) blast me if you shall but seriously... Can I get a soda and a Beer? That's just My Way :)

Hi Saramago. when I saw your post above, it set me to remembering last year and your dreadful experience with the falling bunk beds in the hostel....just wondering how you are now and sending you a Camino Hug. Cheers..
..falling bunk beds????? ....

Hiking CF Sept/Oct 2015... I don't like water, wine, or coffee! ... (ok I'll drink water if I must..) blast me if you shall but seriously... Can I get a soda and a Beer? That's just My Way :)
Hi Melanie, just so you know, if you order the "pilgrim menu", either wine or water comes free with the meal. You usually have to pay extra if you want a soda or a beer. Jill

From my past experiences with France and Spain Beer and Soda are roughly the same price and local beer usually less expensive than soda.

This is a good list (thank you OP) ... for the Camino Frances. If you, dear Reader, are contemplating one of the other routes, whether in Spain or further east, some things are different due to the smaller number of walkers. Lodgings will be further (sometimes much further) apart. Water will be available much less frequently, sometimes only at lodgings. Pharmacies will be much less frequent, and may be closed at inconvenient times. Opportunities for groceries and other supplies will also be much less frequent, and may not be located on or near your walking route. Weather may be cooler. Prices may be higher. Just ... different!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All good advice but I do take exception on the poles. I have done the English and Portuguese camino. Smooth, level, and even the Caminos are not especially in Portugal. Walking around with up to 8K on one's back tends to through off balance. Poles help to maintain a 3 point contact with all walking surfaces which for me is a good thing. I don't bounce so good anymore.

..falling bunk beds????? ....
Yes, Patricia was quite badly injured when she was attempting to climb back onto the top bunk in a row of three from memory. I was writing to try to find out whether she has fully recovered.

Buen camino!

I agree with everything above and appreciate the succinct advice. The only divergent opinion I have is that both times we walked the Camino Frances, we used hiking poles and would not travel without them, especially when carrying a pack. They re-distribute weight so that joints (hips and knees) are not as impacted.

Where were you walking. I don't recall the CI being particularly level for very long!
Pardon my poor punctuation. I picked the English because of Johnny Walkers quote of "gently rolling hills " Ferrol to Santiago while just long enough for your certificate is not a easy walk. I found the Portuguese to be easer, much easer

PS I located Johnny and gently told him what I thought of his idea of "gently rolling hills" I also thanked him for his great guide.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back