• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using 3G cellphone on Camino Frances with a Spanish SIM card

MFord

Time of past OR future Camino
I have an old 3G cellphone, unusable now in the US but how about on the Camino Frances? I will be walking April/May 2022. If I can buy a SIM in Spain and use that instead of my iphone, I wouldn't have to worry about losing it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have an old 3G cellphone, unusable now in the US but how about on the Camino Frances? I will be walking April/May 2022. If I can buy a SIM in Spain and use that instead of my iphone, I wouldn't have to worry about losing it.
Or you can convert your 3G cell phone,

Converting a 3G phone to 4G is not long process nor hectic. Instead, it is easy to update the phone within a few minutes.

However, it has some requirements like the mobile should have Android 4.4 KitKat version, MediaTek chipset, and an active 4G sim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try using this online tool. You will have to enter each network separately and then look for the color encoding the 3g service.

3G is still popular in most of Europe it is the fallback in areas where 4G LTE has not been rolled out. 5G is also being rolled out.

There has been no major announcement for discontinuing 3G services in Europe.

However be wary some US phones do not work on the same frequencies as European phones so you would need to check your phone specification against European phones.

However to avoi any hassle you could probaly pick up a cheap 4G European phone for less than 20 Euros. It won't be smart but it will work with SMS, MMF etc

Maybe, but only maybe!
Even Germany, not well known for it's speed in getting rid of outdated technology, switched off the last remaining 3G-Network in the last week of 2021.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just goes to show that when you think you know a subject well, things move on! I think my original advise should just have been "Buy a cheap 20 Euro phone when you land" You can then buy a local SIM package!

I worked in the Telecoms/IT industry for 30 plus years and retired five years ago. This was during the design phase of providing the extremely large bandwidth requirement for 5G radio towers. I currently get higher bandwidth to my PC tethered to my 5G phone than I do from my home ADSL2 broadband network.

At the time I retired discussions based on the phasing out 3G networks were based the difficulty of migrating Legacy Defence, Emergency Services and Utility companies to newer generations of network transport. Only when there was a feasible plan available would the Telecom Regulators allow the cessation of 3G services.

Depending upon the local Telecoms authority, certain countries are allowing 3G to be phased out. In some cases they are requiring 3G to be phased out to allow the Frequency bands to be re-used for next generation technologies. In the US AT&T is planning on phasing out 3G in 2022 I am not sure about Verizon. The UK has no concrete plans to phase out 3G as of 2020. I no longer have membership of the International Telecoms Union (ITUT/CCIT) and have not kept track of what is happening in most of Europe.

As to when 3G will totally close I have no idea! The 5ESS switches that run much of the plain old telephone system (POTs) are still in operation today forty years later. My rotary dial home phone still works when the 4G and 5G radio towers don't.

I wouldn't like to rely on older tech as networks sometimes neglect it or let it become congested to force customers to upgrade, including where roaming agreements exist with other network operators. I won't go into detailed examples other than to say, you're best to just have a 4G phone on a decent Spanish network like Movistar.

Another pointer but the camera quality on a new iphone vs a years old android is massive. If you like decent photos without carrying a separate camera, take your iphone .. get a protective case. And consider bringing a power bank. You can charge the power bank and use it to charge your phone so you don't have to leave an expensive phone unattended. Though some would argue it's not worth the extra weight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.