• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3rd - 9th September: boots or trail runners?

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
We’re walking the first section, from SJPP to Los Arcos, and aren’t sure whether to use the waterproof leather boots we own or get something new and more breathable. Our boots are great for UK weather but I expect it’ll be a lot hotter in Spain in September. What do you recommend?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks! Any in particular?

Lone Peak or Timp , last year from Porto all the way to Muxia and Finisterra - no blisters and foot problems at all ( Altra Lone Peak 3.5 - and it is considered to be the worst model ... ) Year before on Camino Frances i had shin splints on both of my legs and blisters with one of the top brands . Ofcourse i found out what works for me after 3 caminos and it is not necessarily your shoes :)

If your boots are worn in and comfortable, there is no compelling need to spend extra on a different pair of shoes. It might seem extravagent to spend the extra for shoes for six days walking if your current walking activities are done in boots and you don't intend to change that.

I have walked blister free in boots on all but my first camino, when I blistered the day that I wore sandals. Consider wearing thinner socks if you are concerned about higher temperatures. Also consider prophylactic blister treatment such as taping known risk areas before walking in the morning. I would recommend that whether you are wearing boots or shoes.

And all the best on your camino.

If your boots are worn in and comfortable, there is no compelling need to spend extra on a different pair of shoes. It might seem extravagent to spend the extra for shoes for six days walking if your current walking activities are done in boots and you don't intend to change that.

I have walked blister free in boots on all but my first camino, when I blistered the day that I wore sandals. Consider wearing thinner socks if you are concerned about higher temperatures. Also consider prophylactic blister treatment such as taping known risk areas before walking in the morning. I would recommend that whether you are wearing boots or shoes.

A definite key to blister free is taping before a problem occurs. Waterproof medical tape last days and a single tin can last an entire Camino.

What do you recommend?
I think you'll be fine with the boots.

Now this is just me but I walked the CF in May, June and July in Goretex-like boots with no complaints. I did decide later to buy a pair of trail shoes (not waterproof, not runners) and used them on a Oct./Nov. camino that turned out to end with a week of cold rain and a touch of snow. Yes, my feet got wet but not really cold. I'd do it again but then I wanted to try hiking in something different. You may prefer to save money.

I walked from Logroño to Burgos last September and walking shoes were fine for me. I reckon that wearing well worn footwear that fits you well would be my advice.

Whichever pair you find most comfortable on long (20km+) walks. Boots or trail runners makes no difference as it is only about a week long walk and the Camino Frances itself is not rugged terrain. You will be walking on improved surfaces quite a bit.

For a 6 day walk I’d definitely stay with what I know already fit my feet. If it’s hot, stop often and take my boots and socks off for ten minutes and give them air to dry out. I’d also take a couple of pairs of extra (thin) socks because I perspire a lot and would need to change them during the day.

And this from someone who wears sandals!

Thanks. Reading these responses has made me realise that I’m not 100% sure my own boots are ok despite not having had blisters with them yet. I walked in them last weekend and was surprised that they seemed to rub my little toe, because I did 82 miles in them in 2018 with no problem except for black toe (my little toe again; the nail eventually came off). They’re heavy boots too, and I have some knee joint trouble, so I’m open to trying out something new in the coming months. But yes, also keen to avoid very unnecessary expenses.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We’re walking the first section, from SJPP to Los Arcos, and aren’t sure whether to use the waterproof leather boots we own or get something new and more breathable. Our boots are great for UK weather but I expect it’ll be a lot hotter in Spain in September. What do you recommend?
Walked CF from SJPdP commencing September 7th, 2018. Never did I see the need for boots. That said, that was then and this is now, wear what's comfy and works for you. I wore Brooks Ariel.

Trail runners Brooks Cascadias. They were recommended to me by the owner of a store in the town in Oregon I used to live in. He was at the time the number 2 ultra marathon runner in the world. He had also done many long thru hikes. 5 caminos and 4 total blisters over close to 5,000K's. Only one of the blisters really hurt. It was very funny when I walked in the store with my friend, who is a marathoner and he told the owner I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago, before he could get out Santiago, the owner and his two employees all pointed at the Brooks Cascadias on the wall at the same time and said that one. I tried them on and it was love at first feel.

Light walking shoes are better. Salomon is my favourite - gortex lined but very light.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Both!! Walking shoes, not boots. AND trainers.! 🍀buen Camino!

They’re heavy boots too, and I have some knee joint trouble, so I’m open to trying out something new in the coming months.
Lighter footwear is likely going to be better then. Talk with people who know their stuff, doctors, coaches and shoe salesmen. You may also need special insoles.

On both my caminos I had knee problems early on. Since a wad of tissue paper under the arch of an insole solved the problems it was pretty easy to tell the problems were due to a fallen arch. The second time I had a professionally prescribed insole that worked fine on training walks but it couldn't handle the longer walk.

Hoka trail running shoes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Trail runners. Trail runners. Trail runners. I’m not sure if I’ve made my point emphatically enough........Trail runners.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trail runners. Trail runners. Trail runners. I’m not sure if I’ve made my point emphatically enough........Trail runners.
Thanks! I think I follow you... You’re saying I should go with boots? 😀

Trail runners… why do you recommend them so strongly?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suspect the 'average' advice is "wear what you know and are comfortable with". Walking when you are, it will most likely be hot and dry (and probably has been for a while) and most of the Way will be a mix of surfaces. I have always worn ventilated trail runners, on many Caminos at different times of year and never wanted to look beyond them. I had been considering leather hiking boots for a walk on the Camino de la Lana as age and too much pilgriming have taken their toll on my feet, but an in-depth conversation with a sales person (who could have made a killing on a full hiking boot sale) convinced me that the trail runners I had been using (Merrell Moabs) would still be the better choice. It all comes down to what your feet like.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or sandals! 😊
Any particular brand of sandal? When one of my Chacos was lost off my backpack, I stopped at a nifty outfitter in Ponferrada who suggested Tevas. Okay, yes, they are good, but ... is there better out there? So, Camino-dreaming (Sept 2020) in North Carolina, I am on the hunt!

Any particular brand of sandal? When one of my Chacos was lost off my backpack, I stopped at a nifty outfitter in Ponferrada who suggested Tevas. Okay, yes, they are good, but ... is there better out there? So, Camino-dreaming (Sept 2020) in North Carolina, I am on the hunt!
I wear Merrells, just because they happen to fit my particular feet better than Tevas, Chacos and other brands.

I wear Merrells, just because they happen to fit my particular feet better than Tevas, Chacos and other brands.
I haven’t found any with enough arch support except for some very unattractive flip flops! I have to wear an orthotic in shoes and boots but sandals are a conundrum. I miss them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven’t found any with enough arch support except for some very unattractive flip flops! I have to wear an orthotic in shoes and boots but sandals are a conundrum. I miss them.
How about Chacos? They have tons of arch support. Too much for me!

My wife and I have hiked Camino Frances three times, each time Sept - Oct. My wife wears Salomon Trail Runners and I've worn Merrill Moab. We've had good success with these. We're hoping to hike again this fall if the pandemic is over.

Those were my first days in 2014.... left SJPdP on the 4th and was in Burgos around the 14th I think. I recommend the boots because you can run into really muddy bits at that time of year, plus the mountain trails that don't really end until you leave Pamplona.... and that super muddy trail in the pine trees with the massive up and down hill....
In Santo Domingo I bought sandals because the meseta was hotter than Hades and I didn't need my boots on the flat. I just carried my boots into Galicia where they became indispensable again.
So: I'd say boots.
YMMV.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
six days...not such a long pilgrimage (this time). Wear what sits in your closet and is already comfortable. Why purchase a new pair of shoes? But if this adds to the Camino excitement (planning, preparation, positive thinking given the mighty current unknown), go for it! Buy a new pair of shoes, in light of all the excellent recommendations...

Those were my first days in 2014.... left SJPdP on the 4th and was in Burgos around the 14th I think. I recommend the boots because you can run into really muddy bits at that time of year, plus the mountain trails that don't really end until you leave Pamplona.... and that super muddy trail in the pine trees with the massive up and down hill....
In Santo Domingo I bought sandals because the meseta was hotter than Hades and I didn't need my boots on the flat. I just carried my boots into Galicia where they became indispensable again.
So: I'd say boots.
YMMV.
I have to acknowledge that I have likely had "more boots than hot dinners", to quote my ex-Scot husband, a "big leather boot" hillwalking kind of chap. As I look forward with hopeful, post-coronavirus eyes to a fourth Camino this Autumn, and having worn last Spring's Ponferrada-purchased Tevas into the ground, I found NAOT Harbor (formerly GI). I surely hope they give my boot-phobic feet a chance for a happy dance.. They. Do. Not. Like. Confinement.

Take a peek at Tevas (terra fi) model. Good arch support, good grip, just a great sandel. I used them (along w/ hokas. I had happy feet from SJPdP to SDC ( no blisters). Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.