• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3rd time on Camino. . .struggling to decide. . .

stayathomegypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2003, Oct 2007, Oct 2018 (?)
Hola peregrinos(as)! I walked the Camino back in 2003 (alone - fantastic!) then again in 2007 (with a partner - TERRIBLE) and I am now 40 and looking to walk the Camino again (was going to last Fall but life got in the way). However, I hesitate to walk the French way again as it seems to be so much more crowded now! In May/June 2003 when I walked, I found the 2nd half of the walk to be very busy with a race for beds and many people. I looked up the numbers and in 2003 @75K people walked the Camino and last year over 300K did! There is no way I could handle that many people. Plus, I worry if I walk the same route again, I will be trying to relive the best month of my life (2003) and forget about some of the bad moments of my 2007 walk. I don't know if I want to walk with the ghosts of my past.

But I have looked at all the other routes and none speak to me like the French way does - I loved it so much. I loved the beauty of the beginning, of the climb over the mountains, of lively Pamplona, of beautiful basque Spain. I loved the cities and I love the road and I loved entering into Galicia. The walk up to O'Cebreiro was my favorite day on both walks and I have great memories of Astorga and Melide.

I have looked at Via de la plata, the northern/primitivo, and the portuguese route and none look to be as beautiful and seeped in history as the French way. Also, they all seem to have more road walking? (I dislike lots of road walking).

I don't think I want to walk le puy as I speak no French and have less interest in the French culture/language.

I feel stuck and sad wanting so badly to walk the camino again but knowing that it would not be the same experience and I don't want to be constantly surrounded by tons of people. In 2003, I met many lovely people, but I also had many days to myself to think and relax and revel in the solitude I get so little of in life.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions as to routes for me to take? I have about a month to walk this Sept/Oct. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too love the Camino Frances, I found that choosing not to stay at the Brierly stages is the best way to avoid too many people.
That way we stayed in a lot of the smaller places, and found some real gems. There are so many options, you dont have to do the exact same Camino twice.
Of course in the last 100 kms there are more people, but again we stayed in the smaller laces, and avoided the bigger towns.

Have You thought of Levante or Sureste? I'm starting this year Levante and especially the central part seems to be very promising. You're passing through La Mancha crossing Quijote routes, Toledo (!) and than the land of Isabel Catolica in Castilla with fabulous sights and castels. Then you can choose whether continue with Sanabres or join Frances in Astorga. That way you'd have something new and something old alike. Levante and Sureste (here you'd join Frances in Burgos so no choice of other way finally) are quite solitary. In sept/oct the southern canicules shouldn't be a problem and for the last days (if you choose Frances option) there shouldn't be as many people as in the summer period.
You can also think taking camino Madrid (both solitary and picturesque - and the most of-road way!) and then continue with Frances. In Leon you could eventually turn on Salvator and continue with Primitivo or just stay on Frances till Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too love the Camino Frances, I found that choosing not to stay at the Brierly stages is the best way to avoid too many people.
That way we stayed in a lot of the smaller places, and found some real gems. There are so many options, you dont have to do the exact same Camino twice.
Of course in the last 100 kms there are more people, but again we stayed in the smaller laces, and avoided the bigger towns.

Great idea - definitely something for me to think about! Finding a "new camino" in my "old camino"

Have You thought of Levante or Sureste? I'm starting this year Levante and especially the central part seems to be very promising. You're passing through La Mancha crossing Quijote routes, Toledo (!) and than the land of Isabel Catolica in Castilla with fabulous sights and castels. Then you can choose whether continue with Sanabres or join Frances in Astorga. That way you'd have something new and something old alike. Levante and Sureste (here you'd join Frances in Burgos so no choice of other way finally) are quite solitary. In sept/oct the southern canicules shouldn't be a problem and for the last days (if you choose Frances option) there shouldn't be as many people as in the summer period.
You can also think taking camino Madrid (both solitary and picturesque - and the most of-road way!) and then continue with Frances. In Leon you could eventually turn on Salvator and continue with Primitivo or just stay on Frances till Santiago.

No, I have not looked into or thought about those options! How wonderful - will look into them later tonight. And you're right - by the time I get to the final 100, it will be late Oct/early Nov. Thank you! Buen camino. When are you going?

Normally I should start the early September, but I have only about 2 weeks so I will get to Toledo at most.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I am also doing my third in Sept. I decided on the Norte. I'm no longer feeling sure but I won't know until I do it.

I did Via de la Plata as #2 and I can say that I didn't love it. The reasons, I can't really articulate, perhaps it wasn't as scenic and didn't have much 'personality'. Of course to each their own so I am certainly not saying you wouldn't enjoy it or shouldn't so it. Just that I didn't love it.

If you know you love the French, why not do it?? Perhaps it will provide for another point of comparison against the other two.

I'm not quite sure where you have acquired the idea that the Primitivo is less picturesque than the Frances. And if you tag on the Salvador beforehand you get even more beauty - from rugged boulders one day to pretty mountain scenes the next.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola peregrinos(as)! I walked the Camino back in 2003 (alone - fantastic!) then again in 2007 (with a partner - TERRIBLE) and I am now 40 and looking to walk the Camino again (was going to last Fall but life got in the way). However, I hesitate to walk the French way again as it seems to be so much more crowded now! In May/June 2003 when I walked, I found the 2nd half of the walk to be very busy with a race for beds and many people. I looked up the numbers and in 2003 @75K people walked the Camino and last year over 300K did! There is no way I could handle that many people. Plus, I worry if I walk the same route again, I will be trying to relive the best month of my life (2003) and forget about some of the bad moments of my 2007 walk. I don't know if I want to walk with the ghosts of my past.

But I have looked at all the other routes and none speak to me like the French way does - I loved it so much. I loved the beauty of the beginning, of the climb over the mountains, of lively Pamplona, of beautiful basque Spain. I loved the cities and I love the road and I loved entering into Galicia. The walk up to O'Cebreiro was my favorite day on both walks and I have great memories of Astorga and Melide.

I have looked at Via de la plata, the northern/primitivo, and the portuguese route and none look to be as beautiful and seeped in history as the French way. Also, they all seem to have more road walking? (I dislike lots of road walking).

I don't think I want to walk le puy as I speak no French and have less interest in the French culture/language.

I feel stuck and sad wanting so badly to walk the camino again but knowing that it would not be the same experience and I don't want to be constantly surrounded by tons of people. In 2003, I met many lovely people, but I also had many days to myself to think and relax and revel in the solitude I get so little of in life.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions as to routes for me to take? I have about a month to walk this Sept/Oct. Thank you!

@stayathomegypsy
I suggest that you order from the Forum Store a copy of the map titled "Camino de Santiago" which shows all the camino routes in Spain. Many of the routes in the north of Spain connect with the Camino Frances and would allow you to pick a route which is partially a repeat of the Camino Frances and partially one or more connecting routes. For my next camino, I am currently planning to walk the Camino de Madrid from Madrid to Sahagun on the Frances, then the Camino Frances, through Leon, Astorga, Rabanal and some of my other other favourite camino locations to Ponferrada. And from Ponferadda I will follow the Camino Invierno to Santiago. These routes combine new locations with old favourites and entirely avoid the very busy and congested Sarria to Santiago section. There are many other possible routes shown on the map, offering similar options. To find it, click on Forum Store at the top left of your screen, then on camino books and maps, Camino de Santiago Map (1:1.250.000). This map will give you all your options for camino routes in Spain. Good luck in finding something to suit you.

I walked the Frances route in 2015, then the Norte/Primitivo combo in 2016. I loved them both, each in their own way, then the Frances again in 2017 as I was with family members on their first camino. Yes, over 200,000 pilgrims per year, but we still mostly often were able to be by ourselves in April/May.

You sound so very nostalgic about your memories of the Frances and loved it, so why not give it a go again since you went so long ago? If you walk alone you will have less worry about getting a bed, and don't let the possibility of crowds scare you off. All the things you mentioned in your post will still be there..the history, the cities and the beautiful landscapes you remember so well.
Buen Camino!

@stayathomegypsy
I suggest that you order from the Forum Store a copy of the map titled "Camino de Santiago" which shows all the camino routes in Spain. Many of the routes in the north of Spain connect with the Camino Frances and would allow you to pick a route which is partially a repeat of the Camino Frances and partially one or more connecting routes. For my next camino, I am currently planning to walk the Camino de Madrid from Madrid to Sahagun on the Frances, then the Camino Frances, through Leon, Astorga, Rabanal and some of my other other favourite camino locations to Ponferrada. And from Ponferadda I will follow the Camino Invierno to Santiago. These routes combine new locations with old favourites and entirely avoid the very busy and congested Sarria to Santiago section. There are many other possible routes shown on the map, offering similar options. To find it, click on Forum Store at the top left of your screen, then on camino books and maps, Camino de Santiago Map (1:1.250.000). This map will give you all your options for camino routes in Spain. Good luck in finding something to suit you.

Wonderful idea about the map (plus I would love to just stare at it all the time) - thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You could walk CF again. But, sleep in different cities. Or, give your pilgrimage a theme: seeking exotic flowers, attending mass daily, crawl in every pub, etc.

And, there is a diversion from El Acebo to Valley of Silence to Ponferrada. Not certain of name but look it up. Or check with Peregrina2000, she knows much about ways to Santiago.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In October of last year the crowds were all clumped together. There'd be hundreds of pilgrims in one town, and only half a dozen in the next. It was surreal at times.

I loved the beauty of the beginning, of the climb over the mountains, of lively Pamplona, of beautiful basque Spain

One of the variations I'm researching for 2019 that captures much of that is to start in Lourdes, and follow the Voie du Piémont & Camino Aragonés over the Pyrenees. You'd have a week walking in France (and rural French culture is far more warm and welcoming than a lot of people realize) and a week in Spain before you intersect with the Camino Francés around Puente la Reina. It's a historic route, for sure, though I think there are relatively few people on it. To my mind it sounds like a wilder, more intimate version of the Francés.

The drawback - if it is one - is that I don't think you'd make it to Santiago in a month unless you walked very long days.

If you don't speak French then I agree that the full Le Puy route wouldn't be your best choice. There are people who still manage it, but for me it would have been difficult. But ... a partial Le Puy route might work. If you started your pilgrimage a few days to a week before St. Jean you'd enter the Francés in a different mental and physical space than in 2003 and 2007. It's also Basque country, though with a different flavor than the Spanish side. And it's incredibly cool to see the wall of the Pyrenees on the horizon, and watch it slowly grow closer every morning.

But I'm also biased .... I think a town like Navarrenx makes a far more rational starting point for the C. Francés than Saint Jean! A lot of German and French pilgrims started there, at least when I passed through, but almost no one from the wider world.

Personally, I never understand repeating an experience. It's never the same and I have always regretted ruining a previously great experience. On saying that, I walked last year in Sept/Oct. It was very busy so had difficulty finding beds without pre-booking, however there were many days that we saw very few other people on the trail. Stayed "off the grid" so the small towns weren't that busy. That did create limited places to eat, but we never went hungry. Also it was just a calmer atmosphere. There are so many other routes, so I would lean in that direction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too was in your position of thought, and decided to go with the vdlp from Seville. It was wonderful!! Go thru Orense on the Sanabres to Santiago. Many fantastic cities on this route. I will do this route again. Don't care if I ever do the Frances again.

I see you did del Norte last year? How was that?
Frankly, I've got mixed feelings. Probably, because I had such a great expectations and for the first (and for a long time the only) time I could afford nearly a month, so it was supposed to be THE camino for me. What I've found great were of course the views and the camino in itself. On the other hand, I started in July and continued on August. There were crowds of pilgrims and perpetual race to get a place in albergue. It was really frustrating as what I'm looking for, is rather peace, silence and tranquility. There were a lot of one week pilgrims/tourists so it was also difficult to find the climate I appreciate on other ways. Surely, there were far less people than in Frances but the infrastructure isn't sufficient already for these numbers. I had a very limited budget, so I couldn't afford staying in private albergues and hotels. It was also difficult for me from a spiritual point of view. A lot of churches closed with no contact left (in camino de Madrid, for example, you could always call somebody who would arrange opening it). The other thing I'm always looking for are people I meet. First week, I've got a lot of luck. But then it were rather Spanish youngsters that were seeking a low-budget holiday possibility. They were really loud, making small distances 10-15 kms a day, leaving the albergue the last but arriving the first. Not to much possibility to have some serious talk. But, once more, it's something you cannot predict. And either you're lucky to meet great people, or not. That's also part of the way. And finally, I had bad luck with weather - mostly rain.
But of course, it was my experience - influenced surely by high expectations. In September/October you shouldn't have problems with crowds of tourists and places in albergues. The weather may or may not be more problematic. And, surely, the see is still there as the high point of the way :)

@stayathomegypsy - I like someone's earlier suggestion to follow your heart because only you can really decide but I thought I'd add my two-penneth worth anyway.

I was in your same situation a few months ago... deep down a little voice said walk a new route... but circumstances conspired to make the CF the best choice for me at the time. I'm not going to say I regretted the walk because I didn't... I met some amazing people and I had maybe one of the best days ever walking over O Cebreiro in the snow... but... it was just all a little too familiar and that wasn't so good. With hindsight, deep down, I wish I'd walked a different route... oh but I hate saying that :rolleyes:

My second camino was the VdlP... I didn't find lots of road walking (or I've forgotten it)? And oh my it's beautiful... and WOW the history was incredible. It's a different walk for sure, there aren't the cafe stops mid day but we did had a good sprinkling of pilgrims walking with us and I have to be honest... that walk stole my heart... I blog so if you want to take a peek at my thoughts and photos it starts here https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/

Whatever you decide I hope you have an amazing walk :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @stayathomegypsy

I'm starting to think about number three also and it's tough. I know I'll enjoy the CF but am I closing myself off to something new that I might love?

One thing that's helping me is to keep in mind that you can always change your plans. If the route you're on isn't working out as you hoped you're never much more than a day away from any position on any other camino route. So maybe go with a contingency plan of what you might do if plan A isn't working out.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The VDLP is a fantastic route for appreciating the Moors, the Romans especially Trajan and seeing the Roman cities of Italica and Merida. Salamanca is my favourite city in Spain with modern heroes such as Unamuno. Recommend reading Tony Kevin's book "Walking the Camino". You get a great feel for the history and politics of the Mozarabe/VDLP/Sanabres. I loved the Sanabres.

When I walked CF in Sept/Oct 2015, the pilgrim traffic was not bad at all, save for the last 100kms. I think Sept/Oct is becoming increasingly more popular but I’m guessing it’s less busy than May/June, when you walked before?? Like someone said before, stopping short or beyond the Brierly stages is best, and to reserve beds through booking.com when you can.

Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not quite sure where you have acquired the idea that the Primitivo is less picturesque than the Frances. And if you tag on the Salvador beforehand you get even more beauty - from rugged boulders one day to pretty mountain scenes the next.

That’s my #3 in 2019 Salvador-Primitivo and I’m just back 6 weeks from the beautiful but solitary El Norte.

I so understand your conflict. Feel the same! The Camino Frances meant so much to me and will always hold a special place in my memory, my heart. In some ways, I am almost afraid to repeat it for fear it won’t be like the first time. I was alone, too. And that was the best for me. I am very fascinated by the Camino Primitivo and have begun promising myself that next year I will do it. Thinking that it would be good to have a companion to walk it with and then thinking that alone is the best. This year filling two volunteer positions, one in Santiago and the other in Saint Jean Pied de Port. Anyway, understand your conflict!

If you like the Frances, do the Frances. Simply research the issues that concern you here in the Forum, then plan your days to manage the crowds as you experience them.

The best management method is timing your arrival and departure from a Brierely stage end-point to avoid the surge of other pilgrims who depart on Saturday, Sunday and sometimes Monday (don't forget to factor in local holidays). Try to adjust your walking pace and intermediate stops to keep this "pig in the python" either a day or two ahead of you, or after you.

The second management method is to avoid the standard Brierely end points especially on weekends. Staying just before or just after these points is usually a wise move when traffic is up. Personally, prefer after the town, as I can buy needed supplies as I pass through, knowing that I will be at my place of lodging shortly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In October of last year the crowds were all clumped together. There'd be hundreds of pilgrims in one town, and only half a dozen in the next. It was surreal at times.

I loved the beauty of the beginning, of the climb over the mountains, of lively Pamplona, of beautiful basque Spain

One of the variations I'm researching for 2019 that captures much of that is to start in Lourdes, and follow the Voie du Piémont & Camino Aragonés over the Pyrenees. You'd have a week walking in France (and rural French culture is far more warm and welcoming than a lot of people realize) and a week in Spain before you intersect with the Camino Francés around Puente la Reina. It's a historic route, for sure, though I think there are relatively few people on it. To my mind it sounds like a wilder, more intimate version of the Francés.

The drawback - if it is one - is that I don't think you'd make it to Santiago in a month unless you walked very long days.

If you don't speak French then I agree that the full Le Puy route wouldn't be your best choice. There are people who still manage it, but for me it would have been difficult. But ... a partial Le Puy route might work. If you started your pilgrimage a few days to a week before St. Jean you'd enter the Francés in a different mental and physical space than in 2003 and 2007. It's also Basque country, though with a different flavor than the Spanish side. And it's incredibly cool to see the wall of the Pyrenees on the horizon, and watch it slowly grow closer every morning.

But I'm also biased .... I think a town like Navarrenx makes a far more rational starting point for the C. Francés than Saint Jean! A lot of German and French pilgrims started there, at least when I passed through, but almost no one from the wider world.

Wonderful ideas - thank you so much!

Sept and Oct is a great time to walk the Frances. I wouldn’t worry about the crowds at that time of the year. The later you can push your start into Sept the less crowded it will be.

€46,-

Hi I will not say to much regards the circumstances of my words but just to say you have to walk the Camino on your OWN . I have just got back from walking it for the second time this time with a party of many people .A frickking disaster. You will never do better than your first experience. Not saying dont go but I am saying make sure you have a reason for going. The Camino will make you or break you. Good luck God bless.

Yes, I know what you mean. I love the Frances and have completed it three times and just returned from my aborted 4th. The path may be the same as are the albergues but each time has been a different experience and not a case of trying to relive the last one. Unfortunately, the different experience this time was not good. I fell in a river and almost died. But the people who saved me were all part of a different pilgrimage for me and that really is it. Different people make for different experiences. If I go back again, I will complete that fourth one so it will be the Frances again

Yes, I know what you mean. I love the Frances and have completed it three times and just returned from my aborted 4th. The path may be the same as are the albergues but each time has been a different experience and not a case of trying to relive the last one. Unfortunately, the different experience this time was not good. I fell in a river and almost died. But the people who saved me were all part of a different pilgrimage for me and that really is it. Different people make for different experiences. If I go back again, I will complete that fourth one so it will be the Frances again
Hi are you the person that ended up in the water on about the 12th Aug, just after ronchevares.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My second Camino was Primitivo, but I knew that I want Primitivo because it was written all over my heart, and although it's heavier then Frances and much much more challenging - I did not regret it. The nature, the views, mountains, ups and downs... everything is just stunning and I enjoyed it so much. I can not say that I liked one camino more then other, but I can say that it was completely different experiences - while Frances was more spiritual for me, the Primitivo was more about physical challenge. But... I guess I had the right camino in right time, both times. ;)

If you love the Frances then walk the Frances! The 'crowded' thing is really in the mind - oh, not saying other pilgrims aren't there, what I mean is one's attitude, one's response. Be uncrowded inside, centred, and let it all flow around you without judgement - just enjoy all that comes, and work it out day by day.

This is the queue for a refugio in Sarria - crowded? surely not .....

5616a4f89dd7cc18008c0538-750-563.jpg

I still love the Francés and despite walking quite a few others (the Le Puy, Norte, Arles, Madrid, Tours, and the now on the VdlP and Sanabrés) it is still my favourite. I walked it again last September, from Sahagun, after walking the Madrid, and I did not find the numbers overwhelming. If you leave the albergue an hour after everyone else or you walk late in the day, you will find yourself walking alone. If you choose the late option it may be advisable to book a bed by telephone, but that is the only precaution I’d take.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with others that you should follow your heart.

But... I have walked the Francés, the Norte, the Via de la Plata and the Le Puy route and I found all the other caminos more beautiful than the Francés. I mean the scenery and the landscape, and I think it even counts for the amount of road walking. Which doesn't mean that the Francés isn't beautiful, but to my opinion the other caminos are more stunning and have more variety in types of landscape.

For the real Camino feeling and the cultural history you should walk the Francés. There is less of a pilgrim feeling on the other caminos. Loads of history though, but it has not much to do with pilgrims.

I am so thrilled, humbled and inspired by everyone's comments, stories, ideas, and shared experiences - thank you so much! You have all given me much to think about as I make my decision. This thread is such a reminder of why I loved the Camino and why even 15 years later, and after travel and adventures in many other countries and down many other roads, the Camino still resonates strongly in my soul.

Hi I will not say to much regards the circumstances of my words but just to say you have to walk the Camino on your OWN . I have just got back from walking it for the second time this time with a party of many people .A frickking disaster. You will never do better than your first experience. Not saying dont go but I am saying make sure you have a reason for going. The Camino will make you or break you. Good luck God bless.

While I certainly believe it is true that everyone walks their own Camino, I equally believe it is too much of a generalization to say that "you have to walk the Camino on your OWN". I won't deny the truth of that for the person who wrote that, but everyone's Camino is different.

For myself, I did my first Camino "on my OWN" and my second Camino with my son. It was much, much better than my first experience (another generalization defeated), although I loved my first experience.

Sometimes we discover our reason for being on the Camino on the Camino. Sometimes we discover it a while after we finish the Camino.

The Camino is filled with boundless potential. How that manifests and what we make of it is different for each of us.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While I certainly believe it is true that everyone walks their own Camino, I equally believe it is too much of a generalization to say that "you have to walk the Camino on your OWN". I won't deny the truth of that for the person who wrote that, but everyone's Camino is different.

For myself, I did my first Camino "on my OWN" and my second Camino with my son. It was much, much better than my first experience (another generalization defeated), although I loved my first experience.

Sometimes we discover our reason for being on the Camino on the Camino. Sometimes we discover it a while after we finish the Camino.

The Camino is filled with boundless potential. How that manifests and what we make of it is different for each of us.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Hi you may find it puzzling to find that I agree with what you have said now knowing that you walked it with your son.
I also came back last October from my first Camino and said to all four of my daughters that you should walk the Camino and had any of them said they were interested I would have been proud to walk with them.
But only a few weeks after getting home I was contacted by some one and asked to go back and walk it again in April with eight other people only one of whom I had met before. I found that the stress of dealing with the issues that arose meant for me I got very little out of this latest Camino. I can not elaborate further on why this group was formed but please dont be to critical of my comments as if you check my posts in the past you will find why I walked the first Camino and you will realize the passion and commitment I have for the Camino

please dont be to critical of my comments as if you check my posts in the past you will find why I walked the first Camino and you will realize the passion and commitment I have for the Camino

I wasn't critical of your comments as applied to you and your experience. Just broadly generalizing from that experience and applying it to all other pilgrims, which is how it seemed to come across to me. :)

I wasn't critical of your comments as applied to you and your experience. Just broadly generalizing from that experience and applying it to all other pilgrims, which is how it seemed to come across to me. :)
Yes fair enough if I knew how to private message you I could explain. But it is enough to say I am very fragile at the moment good luck and God bless.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi are you the person that ended up in the water on about the 12th Aug, just after ronchevares.
8th April. I assume you did mean April in your post. I went in at the last crossing before Espinal after Roncesvalles. Brierley writes about fording a gentle stream at this point :)

8th April. I assume you did mean April in your post. I went in at the last crossing before Espinal after Roncesvalles. Brierley writes about fording a gentle stream at this point :)
Yes we went through on the 13th April and it was just down enough good to hear you are OK my friend god bless.

I agree with others that you should follow your heart.

But... I have walked the Francés, the Norte, the Via de la Plata and the Le Puy route and I found all the other caminos more beautiful than the Francés. I mean the scenery and the landscape, and I think it even counts for the amount of road walking. Which doesn't mean that the Francés isn't beautiful, but to my opinion the other caminos are more stunning and have more variety in types of landscape.

For the real Camino feeling and the cultural history you should walk the Francés. There is less of a pilgrim feeling on the other caminos. Loads of history though, but it has not much to do with pilgrims.

So which one is the most beautiful? Can't decide which to do... wavering!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Faced the same dilemma so we will walk the Primitivo route this fall. Likely the Madrid route will be next spring as it does not seem to be that busy especially in early April. The convenience of flying to Madrid and literally being able to walk right out of town with out a long bus or train ride to a starting point is appealing.
While I do like meeting others I am more on the solitary side so days without seeing too many other people are quite appealing to me.

So which one is the most beautiful? Can't decide which to do... wavering!
That is hard to tell. The Via de la Plata travels through different landscapes, because it is going from south to north. That was the most appealing part for me, scenerywise. The Norte is stunning because of the beautiful coast, and it is a very green landscape (so that also means it rains a lot). The Le Puy route is very beautiful and rather mountaineous in the first part, from Le Puy to Conques. And what also appealed to me is that it is rural and I don't recall a lot of road walk (but maybe I blurred that). Also because it is a GR, so it choses more scenic detours ;-)

I keep reading about the Levante and I am feeling drawn to it - it sounds very very different from Frances, and I like the idea of the land of castles and windmills, the land of Cervantes and oranges and open skies. A friend of mine is always accusing me of "tilting at windmills" in life so I like the thought of literally doing just that! I know it is a longer route with long days, but I figure I could just start in Valencia and see how far I can go/take it day by day. Maybe I will make it to Santiago by skipping parts or maybe I won't - it doesn't matter to me, it's all about the journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have looked at all the other routes and none speak to me like the French way does

I feel exactly the same.

I have complained about the numbers towards the warmer months but I still can't find a better route so it will be back to the Frances until I die I'm guessing.

Pray about it first, if it is meant to be, God will provide the beds, the solitude, the peace

I've been fortunate to have walked five various caminos and each one was good/bad depending on who i was with at the time. (the worst being the Portugese and i was alone. hmm, what's that say about me?) :) I will always have a special place in my heart for the Frances and look forward to walking it again next year. We all know you can never recreate the thrill of the first time but you can create another wonderful memory. As for it being crowded I dont know. Last July while on the Primitivo I'd check the forum and read about how crowded the Frances was. In Santiago the walkers of the French route told me they'd never had crowding problems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Why do not you walk the first part that you liked so well and turn off in Leon and walk the salvador,and then walk on the primitivo,stop,or walk on the Norte as far as you want. The Primitivo is beautiful and hilly and very cool

I have to disagree many days like this on the Notre and PrimitivoIMG_20160912_121308.jpg

If you love the Frances then walk the Frances! The 'crowded' thing is really in the mind - oh, not saying other pilgrims aren't there, what I mean is one's attitude, one's response. Be uncrowded inside, centred, and let it all flow around you without judgement - just enjoy all that comes, and work it out day by day.

This is the queue for a refugio in Sarria - crowded? surely not .....

View attachment 42790
thank heavens I never encountered this !

Oh yea! Sarria...... May 1st, Spain holiday week!! Sooooo many on the path, just plain crazy, the entire atmosphere changed... it was a race, no more “ Buen Camino”, kids being rude, adults stressed to finish before having to head back to work!! I had to sloooow it down to avoid the mad rush and not get caught up in the hateful tense chaotic mess

Have to strongly agree with this. We avoided Brierly stages like the plague and loved our experience. Although I have to say that after all that way I almost quit the the day we left Sarria. We walked in Sept-Oct and while there were still a lot of pilgrims, no where near as many as during the busier summer months, so we had loved our journey. The day we left Sarria there were football teams and school groups and I was devastated that our last 100 were going to be ruined by these "camino imposters". A friend we had made pulled me aside and told me that everyone has the right to do their camino as they see fit and it wasn't up to me to judge. She told me to get off my high horse and work out how we could avoid the crowds if we wanted to. Best advice I ever got. She was exactly right - and we later met a wonderful couple who both had CP and walked the entire 100kms under their own steam. We started leaving the Alburgue's later, eating breakfast before we left town (which we usually did at around 10km) and voila - crowds gone and we had the trails pretty much to ourselves again. So this comment is correct - you can avoid the crowds if you want to. That last 100 is easily bookable on booking.com so you have the added advantage of knowing you have a bed.

I understand you concern. I too am looking to walk my 3rd Camino along the French Way. I have decided to do this because the first pilgimage taught me to "Attend to the Moment". Each journey is different and holds unique possibilities and walking the Way is the most important element of the Camino journey. The next will by its very nature be decidedly different from the others. I allow the Camino to walk me as I walk it and I each pilgrim journey to bring is own experience of the "now" along with its rewards.

Buen Camino

Frank

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm personally on my 3rd, but taking the El Salvidor north from Leon to meet the Primitivo. It gives me something new, a bigger challenge, and helps me avoid most of the Disneyland atmosphere between Sarria and Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back