Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4,000 pilgrims on the Invierno this year

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for posting this, Laurie.

But I think data is a bit misleading: "More than 4,000 pilgrims journeyed last year for the Winter Trail as it passes through the Bierzo, the alternative to traditional French Way route to Santiago de Compostela, according to data provided yesterday Priaranza Mayor, José Manuel Blanco, was taken as reference the number of people registered in the hostel of the Galician town of Quiroga."
I remember that approx.50 people starting Invierno from Ponferrada reported in Pilgrim Office in SdC last year, and another 40 started their walk in other towns on Invierno. Discrepancy is just too big. I believe that the number of 4000 is complete occupancy in Quiroga Albergue which counts in also children groups.

"...delves into Priaranza continues by Villavieja, where the City does not waive its idea of opening his own shelter..." & "...lack of support from higher authorities keep stalling the project to complete the refurbishment of the old schools of Villavieja and condition them as a hostel for pilgrims. The funds of the Board served three years ago to repair the roof, but the interior of the property is pending." - it's nice to hear that there are still plans for albergue, because Villavieja is really a gem of a village.

I don't really understand this (maybe translation is incorrect?): "The road is signposted but the Board considered erroneous signals granite instead of wood and sanctioned at the time with 800 euros to the City of Priaranza." - I thought granite markers were the official ones, at least the first marker on Invierno in Ponferrada is granite and many more I saw lying on the ground in front of Polideportivo leaving Priaranza...

I don't really understand this (maybe translation is incorrect?): "The road is signposted but the Board considered erroneous signals granite instead of wood and sanctioned at the time with 800 euros to the City of Priaranza."

Translation isn't the best one but I think the main point is clear enough: The granite signals were considered erroneous (the right ones would be the wood ones) and, as result of it, the town council of Priaranza was fined with 800 Euros by the Autonomous Goverment of Castile and Leon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, amigos, I had read that part about the albergue in Quiroga but assumed they were somehow distinguishing pilgrims from non-pilgrims, but you must be right, K1. I wonder if the pilgrims office will find a way to keep good statistics on the Invierno. Unless they ask people starting in Ponferrada which camino they did, they won't know. And what about a person starting in SJPP who deviates in Ponferrada to the Invierno? Not sure it really matters because the traffic on the ground is what is going to spur investment in pilgrim infrastructure, but it would be nice to have good data. And I'm also surprised at the fines levied for granite mojones. When I walked the Invierno, the wood signs didn't start till Galicia -- all of the way from Ponferrada to Puente de Domingo Florez was mojones. Do you remember that as well, K1? Do you think they are going to change all of the granite to wood? that would seem like a silly waste of money, and also a change from a more to a less permanent marker! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, amigos, I had read that part about the albergue in Quiroga but assumed they were somehow distinguishing pilgrims from non-pilgrims, but you must be right, K1. I wonder if the pilgrims office will find a way to keep good statistics on the Invierno. Unless they ask people starting in Ponferrada which camino they did, they won't know. And what about a person starting in SJPP who deviates in Ponferrada to the Invierno? Not sure it really matters because the traffic on the ground is what is going to spur investment in pilgrim infrastructure, but it would be nice to have good data. And I'm also surprised at the fines levied for granite mojones. When I walked the Invierno, the wood signs didn't start till Galicia -- all of the way from Ponferrada to Puente de Domingo Florez was mojones. Do you remember that as well, K1? Do you think they are going to change all of the granite to wood? that would seem like a silly waste of money, and also a change from a more to a less permanent marker! Buen camino, Laurie

First thing that's not logical about numbers I've already mentioned. The second is that if there would really be 4000 pilgrims throughout the year that means that every day 11 pilgrims walk somewhere on Invierno. Let's say that Invierno is "busy" half of the year, so that's 22 each day. I guess I would have met someone then :) But I only saw two in Puente de Domingo Florez and that was it. Also locals never mentioned a single person passed by a few days before me.

Markers were granite mojones from Ponferrada to Puente de Domingo Florez as I remember (have photos of them in Ponferrada, Villalibre, Cornatel), from PdDF to O Barco there were cast iron arrows and conchas (photos of them from after PdDF, before Sobradelo, Entoma, O Barco), first wooden marker I saw was at entering Albaredos and from there on they are frequent before each village with distance from O Barco (photos from Albaredos, Bendillo, Soldon, Sequeiros), at well-known intersection at A Barxa there is again granite mojon (photos of them at halfway to Monte Faro, Monte Faro, left turn to Vilanova, Vilanova) and on Sanabres granite mojones are normal. That was why I didn't understand that last paragraph in the article???

Do you think they are going to change all of the granite to wood?

I don't think so. The source says they were fined with 800 euros. It doesn't say they were fined and forced to change all the granite signals to wood ones before some deadline.

P.S.: Signaling of the route in El Bierzo was financed by the Autonomous Government of Castile and Leon.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't think so. The source says they were fined with 800 euros. It doesn't say they were fined and forced to change all the granite signals to wood ones before some deadline.

P.S.: Signaling of the route in El Bierzo was financed by the Autonomous Government of Castile and Leon.

Ok, thanks, Castilian and K1. Not to beat this to death, but Priaranza del Bierzo is in El Bierzo, so how could they be fined for doing the same thing that Castilia y Leon did????

But Bierzo is part of (Castilla y) Leon province, Laurie.

That's what I'm saying, K1. Priaranza del Bierzo was fined for using mojones, yet the Junta de Castilla y Leon, which includes el Bierzo, also uses mojones. The wooden arrows don't start till Galicia in my memory. L.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's what I'm saying, K1. Priaranza del Bierzo was fined for using mojones, yet the Junta de Castilla y Leon, which includes el Bierzo, also uses mojones. The wooden arrows don't start till Galicia in my memory. L.
Oh, I see, sorry for misunderstanding.
I was thinking that Castille y Leon and Galicia have some sort of deal regarding markers on Invierno???

Oh, I see, sorry for misunderstanding.
I was thinking that Castille y Leon and Galicia have some sort of deal regarding markers on Invierno???

Maybe you're right. It just seems like a silly distraction. In my opinion, what the Camino de Invierno needs is more pilgrim infrastructure, not fights over what kind of arrows are allowed! But maybe the more publicity there is, the more traffic will be generated. And really, someone should reconsider whether those wooden signs are really the way to go. Easy to vandalize, steal, etc. I much prefer the old painted yellow arrow, but realize that takes volunteer time to keep up the paint quality. Ah, well, I should stop complaining, because the Invierno is just a delight to walk!

Not to beat this to death, but Priaranza del Bierzo is in El Bierzo, so how could they be fined for doing the same thing that Castilia y Leon did????

If I solve the 'mistery', I'll post to let you all know but I think that the reference to the fine on the article linked (the only reference about that fine that I found online, btw) can be wrong or inaccurate. I think the route between Ponferrada and Puente de Domingo Flórez was signaled with granite 'mojones' by an association (i.e.: not by the town council of Priaranza del Bierzo) and, as I said on a previous post, financed by the Junta de Castilla y León (i.e.: the Autonomous Government of Castile and Leon). Municipalities along the route might/could have some responsabilities regarding the camino and its signaling but that would apply to all the municipalities along the route (i.e.: not just to one of them -Priaranza del Bierzo-)... so, as I said above, the reference to the fine on the article linked might be wrong or inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back