• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 albergues closing on the Vdlp

peregrina2000

Staff member
Wow, this is very bad news. The "albergues turisticos" in Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, Puebla de Sancho Pérez y Torremejía are closed. Here's the full article in Spanish:

http://www.lacronicabadajoz.com/noticia ... 81456.html

In Fuente de Cantos, there are a couple of pensiones, but I have never heard too much in the way of positive ratings. In Zafra, you've got lots of choices. Don't know about Puebla de Sancho Perez. In Torremejia, there is a private albergue that I wouldn't recommend (and I would especially NOT recommend the restaurant attached to it), and mundicamino lists the private Hostal La Moheda. I wonder if that's the old Hotel Milenium? (I think probably not since they seem to have different addresses on the same street).

via-de-la-plata-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic8356.html

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thanks Laurie
puleez let not the Millenium be shut down
i bunked down there in sheer luxuary
after a long day
i had intended to do a decent stage of 35kays from Los Santos to Almendralejo
but blinked and missed the turn-off
so marched on oblivious
until i collapsed outside a bar in Torremegia
weary and dehydrated
12 hours and 50kays later
a memorable outing
and spent at the memorable hostal Millenium

This is really sad Laurie, though I guess is a sign of tough times. We stayed in two of those albergues last year. :(

Buen camino. Carole

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ouch!!
I intended to stay in at least 3 of those in April! Thank you very much for the info Laurie, though decidedly not good news.
It's a sign of the state of affairs in Spain, though short sighted, I thought if more people had work, more people would pay taxes and the Juntas would have more money! Extremadura is already one of the areas of highest unemployment in Spain so I'm sorry for the people who have lost their jobs, but I'm sorry for me too :(
Sue

Saddened by these closures.I stayed in 3
of the albergues last year and they were all excellent.
It is very tough for the staff,their families and communities.
:(

Good point, Sulu, and Mournes, that the poor people losing their jobs have a lot more to worry about than we do. I think the hospitaleros in these places went above and beyond -- the albergue in Fuente de Cantos, for instance, was spotlessly clean and well maintained.

About Torremegia/Torremejia (not sure why the difference spelling, but I've seen both). I can't figure out the hostal situation. I see that the Hostal La Moheda is on Avda. Extremadura,62 with the phone of 924 34 1012, while the info I have on the Hotel Milenium is Avda. Extremadura 56, phone 924 341 095. I am pretty sure this has to be the same place, since I remember the Milenium had a hotel entrance and a bar/restaurant entrance. But any updates from people who have walked recently would be great, especially now that the albergue turistico is closed.

And as I was thinking about this, I was wondering whether the beautiful albergue in Almazara, the old olive press place, had escaped the ax. It is also one of the albergues turisticos that was contracted out by the Junta. I know it had been taken over by a local family that owned a restaurant in town (Villafranca de los Barros, which is about 5-6 kms further on the Vdlp) and that they were planning a white tablecloth and fine china restaurant in part of the albergue. I wonder if the fact that it's not mentioned in the article means it's safe!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
though short sighted
Pilgrim accommodations must pay for themselves, so when they are overbuilt for a Holy Year, they cannot be sustained. It may be inconvenient for pilgrims, but I am not sure that we can expect the Spanish to work at a loss, or for "slave" wages, just to accommodate us. If too many albergues disappear, then the pilgrimage will become a camping trip. The pilgrim will need to bear his accommodations on his back, and sacrifice the daily hot shower. Ah, such privation. :wink:

Oh, the Torremejia closing is the saddest! That was the most beautiful place I've seen, and when I went through in Nov. 2011, it had only been reopened for a few months after an extensive remodel, I believe. It was just so, so lovely. As was the hospitalero.

The one thing I can say re: Puebla de Sancho Perez is that it's only 1 or 2 miles more to Zafra, so even if you've had a long day you can soldier on and get into that large city, where there's ample lodging.

Melanie

I agree,Melanie.I stayed in Torremejia
on 2/5 last year.Adjacent to the church
it certainly had the wow factor,not what
I was expecting in such a tiny pueblo.
In fact it would not have looked out of place
in a design and interiors magazine.
It is tiny pueblos like this which depend
on peregrinos and tourists bringing in much
needed revenue.
A big blow for all.
:(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a shame. Seems like a lose-lose situation.

I'm doing 10 days of the VdlP with my wife at Easter and was looking forward to the alburgue at Fuente de Cantos. I stayed there in 2010 and really liked it. In November 2008 is stayed at a hotel in Fuente called La fabrica. If I remember correctly it was 26 euros. I've just looked at their website and it's over 40 euros for a single, but at least it's a place to stay. Maybe it's cheaper for an out of season pilgrim.

Andrew.

Pilgrim accommodations must pay for themselves, so when they are overbuilt for a Holy Year, they cannot be sustained. It may be inconvenient for pilgrims, but I am not sure that we can expect the Spanish to work at a loss, or for "slave" wages, just to accommodate us. If too many albergues disappear, then the pilgrimage will become a camping trip. The pilgrim will need to bear his accommodations on his back, and sacrifice the daily hot shower. Ah, such privation.

It wasn't quite what I meant :? I'm neither a politician nor a financial wizard, but when I said 'short-sighted' I was not thinking about pilgrims, nor, particularly, about the Camino.
The finances of Spain are in a mess and unemployment is high, many local councils haven't paid any bills since October. It was just my opinion that making more people unemployed is not necessarily the answer.
Also the Albergue in Torremiejo is a protected building so someone has to pay for it !

However, the fact that I have booked my flight to walk the VdlP in April must inluence my feelings somewhat. I'm not prepared to carry a tent and I don't think camping on, what is probably, private property is the answer either.

This is sad, but it doesn't really surprise me.
When I passed this way in 2010 I couldn't for the life of me figure out the business model - fantastically restored historical buildings with top quality materials and workmanship, sumptuous sheets etc and all for ~12 euros a night. The beautifully converted Meson building at Fuente could have housed three normal sized albergues within it.
I didn't realise it was all associated with Holy Year.
The Fuente people were really friendly and had a special arrangement so that Zafra would reserve some beds for the Fuente pilgrims, even at the height of the farmers festival. Ah well.

Torremejia. I missed the good place and stayed in the private albergue - just me and a hundred attention-seeking flies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to add to the pity party, I have heard from some Spaniards who think that the albergue turistico in Almazara was already closed. If you've walked the Vdlp you may have either had a wonderful coffee (one of the best I had on the Vdlp) there or a wonderful night's stay. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40849784

I never stayed there, but in 2010 I went to check it out. It had just recently opened, and the family in charge was setting up a restaurant for the public in part of it as well. As an albergue, it had some of the same lavishness as the others. There was a ton of green space for lounging around and the historical features of the building had been preseserved to the extent possible, it seemed to me.

As others have said, these buildings are government patrimony, so who knows what will happen to them.

Buen camino, Laurie

A bit more info for those who don't read Spanish.

The government just announced that they wouldn't be renewing the contracts (all contracted out in a "public-private" partnership. But doesn't seem to be much of an explanation, aside from a statement from the junta saying that the facilities weren't used much by tourists. In addition to the albergues, there are also three campgrounds closed (Tentudia, Valencia de Alcantara, and Gata). 7,000 peregrinos stayed in the albergues in 2011, with a 20% increase from the previous year.

I guess the only people this is good news for are the proprietors of the pensiones and hoteles in those towns.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed truely a shame for all, stayed in 2 of them this past summer. They were surely not built for the holy year as they are beautifully restored historical buildings. They will remain but we will no longer be able to enjoy them :( . Who is in for starting a pilgrim hostel in Extremadura? :D

I am really disappointed as I was looking forward to staying in these albergues turisticos after hearing so much good about them.

Are there other albergues turisticos still open on the VdlP?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, grayland,

The other two that I remember were the one at the reservoir/embalse of Alcantara and the one in Banos de Montemayor. The one at the reservoir was apparently very nice, but I never stayed there. I remember people talking about sitting out on lounge chairs on a grassy lawn looking out over the water. The albergue was in a competition match with a private albergue (called Lindamar I believe) right on the camino, and there was a lot of bad blood between the two. When I went through, I stopped and had a coffee at the Lindamar, and it seemed to me inevitable that the days were numbered. In fact, the private albergue closed, but I think the albergue turistico has remained open. If anything, the closure of the private one makes it more likely for the other one to continue.

In Banos de Montemayor, the albergue is right off a little museum, has very nice rooms for 2 or 3 people max, and a big modern kitchen in the basement where breakfast fixings were left for the morning. The guy running it was very nice and from what I remember, he was having problems getting enough money from whoever was running the albergue to make it worth his while to continue being a hospitalero. But he essentially did it out of the goodness of his heart, I think.

Can anyone think of any others?

Looking through my diary from last year, Laurie.... not sure if there's a Turistico in Cacares. We stayed in Hotel Iberia, smallish, old..... best value. In Casar de Cacares... a new albergue, govt., was almost complete, scheduled to replace the squishy albergue in that town. I wonder if it's been affected?

In Embalse de Alcantara the Lindamar Hotel/albergue was already closed down in May 2011, and the Turistico Albergue was very good, smallish dorms, excellent location overlooking the embalse, run by a lovely young hospitalera, who organised simple meals as well. Only problem .... I chose a lower, corner bunk in dorm 3 and was bitten by bed bugs, no one else appeared to be bitten then, but I heard of another pilgrim a few days later who'd had the same experience in Alcantara. That was my only contact with bed bugs on the whole of the VdlP.
If that albergue is closed as well, there'll be a big problem with accomodation in Alcantara and along that stretch.
Hmmm.... opportunities and potential re buying ... will PM Laurie soon. Had a break from the Forum but I feel it pulling me back... Carole.

Unhappy hearing this news as I start on April 13th. Hopefully there are plenty more beds in the pueblos,as Laurie says.
Just as long as more places don't close. I listen to the news on the financial crisis and pray for Spain.
Heather

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck and buen camino to you Heather. How exciting.... the VdlP is wonderful, especially in spring when wildflowers are abundant. Red poppies will be there, certainly into May, to cheer you along your way.

There is usually a Casa Rural or two, in most of the larger pueblos, more expensive (30 -50E/room), but an option if no albergue. Last year, we seemed to be in a bubble of pilgrims, pretty big bubble because it lasted for about 3 months, when albergues were sometimes full, and we opted to stay in Casa Rurals, booking ahead. They were very nice.... but it was necessary to book ahead sometimes, for us, so we didn't have to worry all day about getting a bed.

VdlP is not like the Frances where there are so many options, where if a pueblo is full,we can walk on to the next pueblo. ... but I guess most people reading this stream already know that......

Buen camino a todos. Carole

Hi Heather,
I will be in Zafra on the 13th April. I do not like the idea of arriving in a big/biggish town with no idea of where I am heading so I have booked a hotel room for 30€, not what I like to do as it takes away any flexibility but I have 'free cancellation'.
There seemed to be very few rooms left that weekend, whether this is because it is Easter week I don't know. I got the last room at this price!! or so it said. You may be more relaxed in your walking but just thought I'd mention this.
Buen camino
Sue

Thanks Carole and Sue. I will be happy to stay where I can, be it Casa Rural,small Hotel or Auberge.
I only speak''Camino" Spanish so I might have a problem booking ahead although I will be taking my mobile on roaming.
Sue, I am booked into a Hotel in Seville for two nights and going by Laurie's stages I would be in Zafra on day 7 , 19th April but I am loathe to tempt fate by booking ahead . Unless there is a wave of pilgrims starting then.
I see you will be a week ahead of me so unfortunately we wont meet up. It will give me motivation,walking in your footsteps.!!
Buen Camino
Heather

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any updates on these albergues? Still closed?

I think that Zafra, Fuente de Cantos and Torremegia are up and running. Not sure about the 4th. Anniesantiago recently posted about Torremegia: via-de-la-plata-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic17574.html

I think the reason for the off and on status of these albergues (they are the so-called Albergues Turisticos) is that they depend on contracts with the Junta de Extremadura. So they are privately operated concessions, I think. When the contracts expire, and especially in times of budget cuts, maybe things go haywire.

And yesterday I put up something about another, new, albergue in Zafra, this one run by the Camino Association of the city: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic17101.html

no need to worry, Luka. Buen camino to you, Laurie

€149,-
peregrina2000 said:
I think that Zafra, Fuente de Cantos and Torremegia are up and running. Not sure about the 4th. Anniesantiago recently posted about Torremegia: via-de-la-plata-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic17574.html

I think the reason for the off and on status of these albergues (they are the so-called Albergues Turisticos) is that they depend on contracts with the Junta de Extremadura. So they are privately operated concessions, I think. When the contracts expire, and especially in times of budget cuts, maybe things go haywire.

And yesterday I put up something about another, new, albergue in Zafra, this one run by the Camino Association of the city: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic17101.html

no need to worry, Luka. Buen camino to you, Laurie

The new albergue in Zafra is quite nice based in the reports I heard from others. However the real gem is the convent. Stayed here and we had a private room to ourselves

Albergue in Fuente de Cantos is still closed. The alternative is wonderful though. Everyone stayed in El Zaguán. A very luxurous place for 15 euros (breakfast included). An amazing place for a pilgrim and very nice people!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back