• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 day walk

Chuckie

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning first walk in March 2015
Hi everyone

I am planning on doing just 4 or 5 days of the Camino de Santiago with my 80 year old father (who, incidentally, is probably fitter than me and has the body and energy of a very healthy and well 60 year old!). I know it is only a short time but it will give us a taste and we have limited time. Can anyone recommend what part of the Camino Frances would be best (I imagine we will take a bus to close to the end and walk the last part into Santiago de Compostela) I understand from all the reading on here (which has been very helpful so far, thanks!) that we could expect to walk somewhere in the vicinity of 10 - 20km per day... Thanks so much for your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Four days at the end will not qualify for a Compostela, if that is a motivation. If you just want four days, pick endpoints that are transportation hubs. That will make it easy to get to and from the walk. Burgos to Carrion might serve. Pamplona to Logrono would be a bit longer, but has better transportation.

Buen camino.

Welcome Chuckei,

If you do not care about the Compostela I would start Leon and walk to Molinaseca (Or Ponferrada). Granted you will be hiting some of the most challenging parts of the Camino, but it is (In my opinion) the most beautiful.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Chuckie,

If you have 5 days you could possibly walk the full Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago (~120km) and be eligible for a Compostela. Or, for a shorter walk (not eligible for a Compostela), you could start in A Coruna and walk to Santiago, approx 75km.

I walked the Camino Ingles last week from Ferrol, you can see my blog posts here. There's heaps of info on this forum about both options.

Good luck choosing a route and buen camino :)

Kat

Why just 4-5 days? How about a week? In that case, I would recommend to start from Sarria, just over 100 km. 4-5 days may not be enough. If your father is able to complete, then he gets the Compostela as a memorable bonus. This part of terrain is not very difficult to walk. If not able to finish, he can take a taxi the rest of the way and visit the Cathedral. Believe it or not, most pilgrims visiting the cathedral are not peregrinos.

I know it's not exactly the Camino Frances, but you could walk from Santiago to Finisterre. I've done that as a separate Camino and really enjoyed it. It would enable you to see Santiago, and has fairly straightforward travel connections.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with tyrrek about walking to Finisterre, especially in good weather. Also you can get a certificate there and in Muxia as well.

Hi - we are two retired Australians and due to time restrictions are planning to walk just 3 days of the final section of the Camino - approx. 10 km a day. We plan on going from Santiago to Salceda, spending two nights there, and then walking to Arco O'Pino - a night's stop there and on to Lavacolla and the final day to Santiago. We have booked hotel accommodation and just want to experience and ENJOY the ambience of the Camino - though I have read that the last days walk from Lavacolla is mainly through industrial areas. But that cant be helped. We plan on having a few nights in Santiago at the end and during this time spending a night at Finisterre getting there by coach/bus.

Glad to have any comment re pros or cons or both re our plan. Thanks - Victoria

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You know what? You could make any section enjoyable with the mindset you have! You are not necessarily going to experience the euphoria of pushing yourself and surviving - but you might get to talk to someone who has. You won't experience the day-after-day-ness of pilgrimage personally, but I'm sure you'll meet someone who will mention it. You won't be part of an established camino family, but there's no reason why you won't make friends.
Enjoy what time you have - sounds like you'll make the most of it.
Just don't be surprised when you end up back in Spain for a longer walk!

I am planning on doing just 4 or 5 days of the Camino de Santiago with my 80 year old father (who, incidentally, is probably fitter than me and has the body and energy of a very healthy and well 60 year old!). [...] what part of the Camino Frances would be best [...]we could expect to walk somewhere in the vicinity of 10 - 20km per day...
I know many parts of the Camino Francés in Spain which are worth your while. In my experience the farther you are from Santiago, the more pleasant the Camino (and particularly the pilgrims you meet:)) can be. Start and finish in two big towns, which are also interesting to discover: Pamplona and Logroño. Each one has its attractions. Walk to Uterga (17 km), Lorca ( 20 km), Villamayor (18 km), Torres del Rio (20 km) and Logroño (20 km).
To and from the 2 towns there is a practical bus connection with Madrid (PLM = Pamplona-Logroño-Madrid).
Justmy 2 centimos;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back