• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

**4 Day Walking Route Needed please for Sarria to Santiago**

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaSC

Time of past OR future Camino
2107 - Camino De Santiago
Hi - as a first timer I'm hoping for some advice please from you lovely seasoned Camino people!
I'm taking my Mother (53) from Ireland on holiday mid August to experience our first Camino attempt for her birthday :):) Both of us have relatively good levels of fitness and I'm confident that we'll manage the 115km (or however long it is exactly) from Sarria to Santiago in 4 days.

My question is which is the best route to take - we're looking for quite a busy type atmosphere with stop-offs in the larger type villages along the way - I appreciate that August is one of the busiest months of the year and that appeals to us.

From looking online the following route is jumping out at me:
Day 1: Sarria - Portomarin
Day 2: Portomarin - Melide
Day 3: Melide - Salceda
Day 4: Salceda - Santiago

I'm not sure of the exact distances on each day but is day 2 very far? Would a stop off in Plasa De Rei make more sense with a different stop off point in day 3 also?

Thanks so much for any advice - it will be much appreciated
Lisa x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your stages look good. Taking a fifth day may help. Also, stopping in between guide book stages means fewer pilgrims seeking a bed. August is holiday month in Europe so, there will be many, many pilgrims on the way. You two are in for quite a wonderful time. Buen camino.

Thanks so much @nycwalking - we have just the 4 walking days available with flying in and out on the days either side so we must complete it within 4 days! Do you happen to know the distance from Portomarin - Melide: is it over 35km, I'm seeing different distances online and I think 35km would be my Mothers absolute max distance on any one day. Thanks again

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @LisaSC

Welcome to the forums! And that is super nice of you to take your mother on a Camino for her birthday (makes me feel guilty that I wasn't so nice to my mom!).

It is very hard to do Sarria - Santiago in 4 days without at least one long day. According to my database, your proposed route would look like this (excuse the odd layout -- this is from a database I use for my own purposes):

From Sarria
to Barbadelo (Sarria - Barbadelo) (4.3 km / 2.7 mi)
to Morgade (Barbadelo - Morgade) (7.7 km / 4.8 mi)
to Portomarín (Morgade - Portomarin) (9.9 km / 6.1 mi)
Stage 01 (21.9 km / 13.6 mi)

to Gonzar (Portomarin - Gonzar) (7.5 km / 4.6 mi)
to Ligonde (Gonzar - Ligonde) (8.5 km / 5.3 mi)
to Palas de Rei (Ligonde - Palas de Rei) (8.3 km / 5.1 mi)
to Melide (Palas de Rei - Melide) (14.8 km / 9.2 mi)
Stage 02 (39.1 km / 24.3 mi)

to Boente (Melide - Boente) (5.5 km / 3.4 mi)
to Castañeda (Boente - Castañeda) (2.2 km / 1.3 mi)
to Ribadiso da Baixo (Castañeda - Ribadiso da Baixo) (3.1 km / 1.9 mi)
to Arzúa (Ribadiso da Baixo - Arzúa) (2.2 km / 1.3 mi)
to A Salceda (Arzúa - Salceda) (11.8 km / 7.3 mi)
Stage 03 (24.7 km / 15.4 mi)

to Santa Irene (Salceda - Santa Irene) (5.0 km / 3.1 mi)
to O Pedrouzo (Santa Irene - Pedrouzo) (3.2 km / 2.0 mi)
to Lavacolla (Pedrouzo - Lavacolla) (9.5 km / 5.9 mi)
to Monte do Gozo (Lavacolla - Monte do Gozo) (5.4 km / 3.4 mi)
to Santiago de Compostela (Monte do Gozo - Santiago de Compostela) (4.8 km / 3.0 mi)
Stage 04 (27.9 km / 17.3 mi)

Total: 113.6 km / 70.6 mi

That is a very long Stage 2 (39.1 km). You could spread out the distances better each day, but then you'd lose the overnight in Portomarín. For example, your route could be this:

From Sarria
Stage 01 (29.3 km / 18.2 mi)

Stage 02 (31.6 km / 19.7 mi)

Stage 03 (29.7 km / 18.4 mi)

to Santiago de Compostela (Monte do Gozo - Santiago de Compostela) (4.8 km / 3.0 mi)
Stage 04 (23.0 km / 14.3 mi)

The second option keeps your daily distance to about 30k, with a shorter last day (to arrive earlier into Santiago). But you'd stay in Gonzar instead of Portomarín and Santa Irene instead of Salceda.

Hope the above helps you with your planning. Let us know how your Camino goes.

The stage from Portomarin to Melide is over 40 km. The other stages are a lot shorter. I think that you need to change your stops to make the distances more equal. I used this site to work out your distances. You should be able to use it to come up with a plan that will work for you.
Here's your proposed route:

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago (Stages) (3).pdf
    725 KB · Views: 22
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a thought for you - You don't actually have to start in Sarria. You can start at Barbadelo and shave off a few km, meaning you could walk to Gonzar on Day 1, making Day 2 that little bit shorter. You can also start at Morgade which is just over the 100km distance so still qualify for your compostela.
August will be busy and you'll be walking in considerable heat, so it might be in your best interest (and that of your mother) to reduce the distances as best you can.
When I walked in April (to complete my Camino) my daughter and I started at Barbadelo. There are some nice albergues there and a taxi from Sarria is around €5.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

I would suggest that if you look at your departure flight time and see if you can get up early on the last day, walk to Santiago with the aim of the pilgrim mass at noon and then hop on a taxi outside the cathedral to the airport.

unless the credential is a must for you, start a bit closer than siarra and take your time.... Nothing worse than walking under pressure. It could be very hot so long days are even longer under the sun.... Concentrate on listening to your body and spending quality time together rather than being fixed on schedules or oms covered. We have a enough of scheduled stuff already in life

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lisa, a lot of good advice here. I just walked this stretch 7-10 days ago, so it's still fresh.
  • I stayed in Morgade one night, and don't think you'd miss much taxiing in from Sarria. Only things I recall on that stretch were a lot of loose dogs, and a small village that smelled like manure on overdrive.
  • Between the climbing and the crowds, Portomarin to Palas de Rey was a handful in itself. Going on to Melide that day would test most folk's endurance.
  • I spent my last night before Santiago in A Brea, a few km past Salcedo. The Way Hostel there was a nice stay-- they even have a pool!
Have a great time!

I like the idea of starting in Morgade. It's a very nice place to stay and you could even take a double room for the night. You could spend a couple of hours in Sarria if you wanted to and then taxi on to Morgade. Consider shipping your packs ahead to your next stop using one of the services. If you are at a reasonable fitness level you should be alright at 25 km/day loaded light. Fairly sharp downhill the last couple of km into Portomarin and gentle but long uphill from there to Palas de Rey. After that, rolling hills but nothing too dramatic. You'll want to be careful to protect against blisters. Shoes or boots should fit well (generously) and be at least slightly broken in. Ideally you will have walked a couple of 20 km walks in them before you leave the Emerald Isle. You could consider applying Vaseline, Vicks Vaporub, or Body Glide to your feet before you start out each morning. They can do a lot to reduce friction. Alternatively use a pair of shorty nylon stockings as a liner stocking. Hope you have a great walk! My predicition: you'll wish you'd had 6 days to walk!

Hi @LisaSC

Welcome to the forums! And that is super nice of you to take your mother on a Camino for her birthday (makes me feel guilty that I wasn't so nice to my mom!).

It is very hard to do Sarria - Santiago in 4 days without at least one long day. According to my database, your proposed route would look like this (excuse the odd layout -- this is from a database I use for my own purposes):

From Sarria

That is a very long Stage 2 (39.1 km). You could spread out the distances better each day, but then you'd lose the overnight in Portomarín. For example, your route could be this:

From Sarria

The second option keeps your daily distance to about 30k, with a shorter last day (to arrive earlier into Santiago). But you'd stay in Gonzar instead of Portomarín and Santa Irene instead of Salceda.

Hi @LisaSC

From Sarria

From Sarria

Hi @LisaSC

From Sarria

From Sarria

@stratophile, this is beyond helpful and exactly what I needed to see. You are obviously a seasoned Camino fanatic, really do appreciate the advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like already said : Five days would make it all a bit more relaxed.
But yes it is doable. Hey, I know someone who walked it in two days.

Gronze website could be of help.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances
Impressive in 2 days! I wish we did have a fifth day but work beckons so four it is. As you say it's do-able and we will do it! Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it, Lisa

The stage from Portomarin to Melide is over 40 km. The other stages are a lot shorter. I think that you need to change your stops to make the distances more equal. I used this site to work out your distances. You should be able to use it to come up with a plan that will work for you.
Here's your proposed route:
Tending to agree with you, 40kms is probably too much for my Mother. I think we'll re-look, thanks so much

Just a thought for you - You don't actually have to start in Sarria. You can start at Barbadelo and shave off a few km, meaning you could walk to Gonzar on Day 1, making Day 2 that little bit shorter. You can also start at Morgade which is just over the 100km distance so still qualify for your compostela.
August will be busy and you'll be walking in considerable heat, so it might be in your best interest (and that of your mother) to reduce the distances as best you can.
When I walked in April (to complete my Camino) my daughter and I started at Barbadelo. There are some nice albergues there and a taxi from Sarria is around €5.
Good luck and Buen Camino!
Julia, you have made my day...we will start in Morgade and walk the 101km to Santiago. I think we'll keep our accommodation in Sarria on night one and taxi to Morgade the following morning to start our walk. That is a super helpful idea, thanks so much (My mother says thank you more!). I hope you enjoyed the experience with your daughter x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest that if you look at your departure flight time and see if you can get up early on the last day, walk to Santiago with the aim of the pilgrim mass at noon and then hop on a taxi outside the cathedral to the airport.

unless the credential is a must for you, start a bit closer than siarra and take your time.... Nothing worse than walking under pressure. It could be very hot so long days are even longer under the sun.... Concentrate on listening to your body and spending quality time together rather than being fixed on schedules or oms covered. We have a enough of scheduled stuff already in life

Thanks Simeon - yes so we'll relax on the distance a little, we've decided to start a little closer to the finishing point but still walking 100km without putting ourselves under too much pressure. I really do want to enjoy the experience rather than feeling pressurised by time and distance so this is a very good call, thank you. Appreciate the advice :)

As you're considering skipping the section between sarria and morgade, perhaps go all the way to Ferreiros, which is just as big, nice albergues and at the 100 km milestone. That said, your first walking day would then take you past Portomarín, which is a shame as it is a wondeful pilgrim hub and small town, with basic services. Accommodation after Portomarín and until Palas de Rei is fine, but in tiny hamlets with not much going on.

As you're considering skipping the section between sarria and morgade, perhaps go all the way to Ferreiros, which is just as big, nice albergues and at the 100 km milestone. That said, your first walking day would then take you past Portomarín, which is a shame as it is a wondeful pilgrim hub and small town, with basic services. Accommodation after Portomarín and until Palas de Rei is fine, but in tiny hamlets with not much going on.

I am a little disappointed to by-pass Portomarin I have to be honest. But I think 30km the following day is long enough for my Mother and so that means we need by walk further than Portomarin on day 1 and on to Melide. Sorry for my ignorance and I'm here examining the map - but are Ferreiros and Morgade beside each other if they both are 100km from Santiago? Thanks so much for the advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like the idea of starting in Morgade. It's a very nice place to stay and you could even take a double room for the night. You could spend a couple of hours in Sarria if you wanted to and then taxi on to Morgade. Consider shipping your packs ahead to your next stop using one of the services. If you are at a reasonable fitness level you should be alright at 25 km/day loaded light. Fairly sharp downhill the last couple of km into Portomarin and gentle but long uphill from there to Palas de Rey. After that, rolling hills but nothing too dramatic. You'll want to be careful to protect against blisters. Shoes or boots should fit well (generously) and be at least slightly broken in. Ideally you will have walked a couple of 20 km walks in them before you leave the Emerald Isle. You could consider applying Vaseline, Vicks Vaporub, or Body Glide to your feet before you start out each morning. They can do a lot to reduce friction. Alternatively use a pair of shorty nylon stockings as a liner stocking. Hope you have a great walk! My predicition: you'll wish you'd had 6 days to walk!
I think I agree with your prediction already Gillean - even without considering my poor feet - the route map alone lends to a 6day journey. But how and ever we will make the most of it and get through it! Lots of 20km walks planned over the next 6 weeks ahead of arriving in Spain, I've one completed already :))))
Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your advice, it is much appreciated. Lisa x

Lisa, a lot of good advice here. I just walked this stretch 7-10 days ago, so it's still fresh.
  • I stayed in Morgade one night, and don't think you'd miss much taxiing in from Sarria. Only things I recall on that stretch were a lot of loose dogs, and a small village that smelled like manure on overdrive.
  • Between the climbing and the crowds, Portomarin to Palas de Rey was a handful in itself. Going on to Melide that day would test most folk's endurance.
  • I spent my last night before Santiago in A Brea, a few km past Salcedo. The Way Hostel there was a nice stay-- they even have a pool!
Have a great time!
Great advice JoeCamino and you've definitely settled my head from POMO that I wont miss out on too much from Sarria to Morgade or Ferreiros - depending on exactly which of these we decide to begin our journey at. I hope you enjoyed your Camino and thanks for passing on the advice. It is much appreciated. Lisa x

I am a little disappointed to by-pass Portomarin I have to be honest. But I think 30km the following day is long enough for my Mother and so that means we need by walk further than Portomarin on day 1 and on to Melide. Sorry for my ignorance and I'm here examining the map - but are Ferreiros and Morgade beside each other if they both are 100km from Santiago? Thanks so much for the advice.
1 km apart. I suppose ventas de naron, ligonde or eirexe woukd be your best bets for that evening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having recently completed that route in five days, I would not have wanted to do it in four. It is doable, but the hills and long distances can take their toll. We were fit and had trained reasonably well. If there is anyway you can stretch it to five days, I would recommend it. We did Sarria to Portomarin, Portomarin to Palas de Rei, Palas de Rei to Arzua, Arzua to Rua and Rua to Santiago. We did stop for a rare lunch in Melide for pulpo at Ezequiel. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi @LisaSC

From Sarria

From Sarria

The temperature may make a difference in your walking pleasure too. We had 2 36 degree days last week which almost melted me.

Great advice JoeCamino and you've definitely settled my head from POMO that I wont miss out on too much from Sarria to Morgade or Ferreiros - depending on exactly which of these we decide to begin our journey at. I hope you enjoyed your Camino and thanks for passing on the advice. It is much appreciated. Lisa x
Hello! I know this is an older post, but just wondering how you did your trip, any tips? I too only have four days in which to do this route, solo, at the beginning of March. So, any help you may provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much @nycwalking - we have just the 4 walking days available with flying in and out on the days either side so we must complete it within 4 days! Do you happen to know the distance from Portomarin - Melide: is it over 35km, I'm seeing different distances online and I think 35km would be my Mothers absolute max distance on any one day. Thanks again
35 in a day is a very big ask unless you’re very young and fit. I don’t know what age or level of walker your mother is but 20k is probably enough.

35 in a day is a very big ask unless you’re very young and fit. I don’t know what age or level of walker your mother is but 20k is probably enough.
Sorry one more thing the walk out of Portomarin is tough. Steep and uphill for quite a long way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.