• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 days before departure - anything special to consider?

Roland49

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 07/2019, CP 07/2023
Helle fellow pilgrims,

I am 4 days prior to my departure to my Camino francès.
Do I have something special to consider?
My pack is packed, quite like all packing-lists recommend.

Any hints? Any tips?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Buen Camino!
Roland

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What we often tell our college students is to take it slow, take your time (there's NO reason to rush!), and listen to your body. If your feet start feeling hot, you may be getting a blister so at that point, take a break, let things cool down, and then go on again. And enjoy it all! :)
Buen Camino, Roland!
Faith

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Start slowly and allow your body and mind to arrive on the camino.

Concentrate on your being on the camino, not on corresponding with people at home.

Be open to meet different people and to make new friends. Greeting locals and other pilgrims opens doors! If you do not speak the language, do not worry. A smile may help.

Do not expect anything but accept what you find.

Do not rely too much on your guidebook/camino-app. It is easier to walk and just follow the yellow arrows.

For security reasons/backup:
Make scans of your passport, tickets etc. and send them to you via E-Mail. So you can print them out in case of theft or loss.

Say goodbye to your loved ones. If you are religious, go to your home church and say a prayer.

Pack a snack for the journey between your door and your walk-starting point.

Make sure bills are paid, perishables are out of the fridge, the dishes are washed and someone has a key to check on your place.

🙂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It seems to me you have everything you need, except maybe one thing:

an open heart

Hope you'll be carrying it with you at all times, because of it's two big advantages:
1. It's not extra weight
2. It will brighten up the day of everyone you'll meet (and boy, will that reflect on you!!!)

You may want to consider the inconveniences of walking a hot camino. Read the article in yesterday’s Guardian « Hell is coming ». Walking the Frances not so much, but if I were re-doing Via de la Plata, the Levante or la Lana from the southern starting towns, I would most surely consider putting off ANY walking until at least September.29EBB459-F6DE-458C-A6A8-42E97FDC0915.jpeg

Attachments

• C2064DEB-FE8A-4ADC-B237-B8AEB879386D.jpeg
    C2064DEB-FE8A-4ADC-B237-B8AEB879386D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All of the above, plus a reminder to let your friends and family know that you might not always be available, and when and how much contact to expect, so they don't worry and report you missing when all that happened was that you spilled wine on your mobile/left the charger somewhere and no one had one to lend you/SIM card stopped working/you left it on flight mode or had too much fun and forgot to call before lights-out. Buen Camino!

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Listen to your body. Take breaks, as many as you need.

Use a light-colored umbrella to create your own shade. Stuff the shaft into your sternum strap, so your hands remain free.

You do not need an expensive Euro hiking umbrella. Most any umbrella with a long enough shaft, to clear your head, will work. It is 20 degrees Fahrenheit cooler in shade than direct sun.

Also, it takes a week to 10 days to acclimate to rising early, walking all day then preparing to do it again, each day for a month or more. Take it slow at first to avoid blisters or other injuries. Take care of your feet... they will take care of you.

The Camino is neither a race, nor an endurance test. Help others who did not get this message.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An umbrella to shade you while walking. Some electrolyte sachets that you can add to your bottle of water.

Pack as light as you can. This time of year with such warm weather you do not really need to bring much at all. A Camino Frances pilgrim can easily walk with a 5 kg pack, or less even. Maybe re-inspect what you are bringing, and rethink some of it. Low on the needs list would be too much rain gear and too insulated a sleeping system. I have walked the Frances before in July where I experienced no rain or cold weather and slept on top of my sleeping bag every night. A full albergue that time of year can get quite warm and stuffy at night.
Good sun hat with a broad brim. Maybe one you can soak with water and put back on. That helps. Good water system and drink at least two litres of water a day when walking. At least. A good headlamp for those mornings when you decide to start off in the dark. I do not recommend walking in the dark, but quite often you will leave the albergue when still dark in the morning and the lamp helps get you out of some of the towns until the sun rises.

Hi @Roland49.

There is something that can happen in the first few days of your first Camino........
It can be quite worrisome .......

You may find that your face and jaw ache by the end of the day.
It's quite natural and normal. No need for concern.

The cause?

You won't be able to stop smiling...... :)

Buen Camino!

Helle fellow pilgrims,

Any hints? Any tips?

Buen Camino!
Roland
There are a lot of beautiful and practical recommendations above. I would get to Saint Jean and check in to the room I’ve reserved, go see the town and stop in to the Pilgrim Office, then maybe go to a market to get some provisions for the walk in the morning, get some dinner then go to bed for the night.

Of course the above presumes that you’ve reserved a room in a pension or inexpensive hotel, so you can sleep undisturbed,
and leave when you want to. But that’s what I would do.

All the best.
Buen Camino,
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How exciting @Roland49 I'm jealous that you're about to have this whole new world open up for the first time.

All advice above is good. My only addition would be if you're using walking poles make sure you have rubber tips, it will prevent you and those around you going crazy.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Thanks to all who replied!

I think that I am, in fact, open hearted. I work in public school in germany (no, not a teacher again).
You have to be open hearted and open minded to work in such an desolate environment (germany spends only half of the money recommended by UN for the educational sector). But all in all it is fun to work with students and my young colleagues.

My pack is just a bit over 5kg w/o poles and water.
I have some electrolytes in granules. Much lighter and easy to consume. I have a self-made health-pack with the recommended contents. Yes, I have made sealed copies of all important documents.
I rise every workday on 5:15, there will be no problem at all to get up early to prevent the mid days heat.

My wife and son will be home, so no need to do any laundry or dump the perishables out the freezer.
I bring a very lightweight raincape (330gr.) just for security and a fleece-jacket for the air-transport, I don't want to get a cold on the first days. I am used to hot weather and do not sweat a lot, so I will need to rehydrate often. I hope that on my second week there will be a temperature drop to the mid 20s. If you take the forecasts for real.

The only thing I need to buy in Biarritz oder SJPdP are some foldable Poles, I broke mine on one of my last training-hikes.

Thanks again for all of your tips!

Buen Camino!
Roland

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Helle fellow pilgrims,

Any hints? Any tips?

Buen Camino!
Roland
It´s getting very hot over here. I´m based in Madrid and the weather forecast shows significant heatwave coming. Many pilgrims will probably try and get up super early to take advantage of cooler morning air, so be prepared to be disturbed in the dorm from 5 am (or even earlier by some people!).
Essential: sun cream, shade (large hat, long sleeves - good UV protective breathable clothing) and stay hydrated (get at least 1 litre of water into you before setting off - add some magnesium & potassium salts into water to help bones and muscles). Yeah, I know that means early pee-stops, but better to get hydrated first than get dehydrated later and try and recover - damage is done by then). Light socks, light footwear - keep those valuable feet COOL, DRY and COMFORTABLE.
Take it EASY at first, it´s so easy to get caught up in the early excited rush of many. Just slow down, keep to YOUR natural pace, don´t force the climbs, go steady and careful on the descents - take time to smell the flowers and take it all in. You can always meet them at the next bar, albergue or town, which is what invariably happens.
It will be fantastic; so much to see, feel and experience. Just start and don´t stop before the magic happens!Ultreia, mi amigo

It´s getting very hot over here. I´m based in Madrid and the weather forecast shows significant heatwave coming.
Worked today at 28°C roomtemperature (moved manually 2,5t of schoolbooks), outside 34°C! The heat is here, too!

Take it EASY at first, it´s so easy to get caught up in the early excited rush of many. Just slow down, keep to YOUR natural pace, don´t force the climbs, go steady and careful on the descents - take time to smell the flowers and take it all in.
If I walk my normal pace, than almost every other pilgrim will think I'm insane...

Buen Camino!
Roland

Helle fellow pilgrims,

Any hints? Any tips?

Buen Camino!
Roland
It sounds like you are ready to soak up a great experience. After s short time, you may find yourself feeling like you are home. Best wishes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the forum members have covered everything. Even in a moderate heat drink a lot of water, obviously with this new really hot weather, it can save your life. Drink water before you get thirsty ! Buen Camino. Be smart, be safe.

Thanks to all who replied!

I think that I am, in fact, open hearted. I work in public school in germany (no, not a teacher again).
You have to be open hearted and open minded to work in such an desolate environment (germany spends only half of the money recommended by UN for the educational sector). But all in all it is fun to work with students and my young colleagues.

My pack is just a bit over 5kg w/o poles and water.
I have some electrolytes in granules. Much lighter and easy to consume. I have a self-made health-pack with the recommended contents. Yes, I have made sealed copies of all important documents.
I rise every workday on 5:15, there will be no problem at all to get up early to prevent the mid days heat.

My wife and son will be home, so no need to do any laundry or dump the perishables out the freezer.
I bring a very lightweight raincape (330gr.) just for security and a fleece-jacket for the air-transport, I don't want to get a cold on the first days. I am used to hot weather and do not sweat a lot, so I will need to rehydrate often. I hope that on my second week there will be a temperature drop to the mid 20s. If you take the forecasts for real.

The only thing I need to buy in Biarritz oder SJPdP are some foldable Poles, I broke mine on one of my last training-hikes.

Thanks again for all of your tips!

Buen Camino!
Roland
Buen Camino Roland!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Helle fellow pilgrims,

Any hints? Any tips?

Buen Camino!
Roland
Start taking your multi vitamins!

Helle fellow pilgrims,

Any hints? Any tips?

Buen Camino!
Roland
Yes, I have got some really good advice. Not to detract from others.
Don't beat your self up on more fitness
Relax enjoy the moment.
I have a saying .If you have done all the training in the world then you will hurt for seven days then you will be alright.
If you have done no training at all then you will hurt for seven days then you will be alright.
The supplies shop SJPDP will set you up for all the things you were not allowed on the plane or forgot great people.
Relax soak up the emotions of the next few days.
You will be alright Good luck God bless.

The OP started his Camino last June 29th. He should be back home by now, lol.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.