• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 Days Camino de Santiago: PLAN?

JByrne

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2013
We already walked 117Km of Camino deSantiago from Sarria to end in 3 days (75 miles, tough)! Now this year we will start at the very beginning of this holy pilgramge -- is that from St John in France? Heard this part of France is stunning. We will fly to Paris from either Dublin or Glasgow and later make our way to start of this 4-day Camino journey. Could we take a train, or perhaps flying to start of Camino makes more sense. Where will this all take us on a 4 day hike, say we can do 22 miles per day or so? Hostels, inns and small hotels? Towns, villages, sights? We want to cross Spainish border. Later we will take a train to see Barcelona and later still onto Madrid. Lots of logistics and sorry for asking so much. God Bless.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We already walked 117Km of Camino deSantiago from Sarria to end in 3 days (75 miles, tough)! Now this year we will start at the very beginning of this holy pilgramge -- is that from St John in France? Heard this part of France is stunning. We will fly to Paris from either Dublin or Glasgow and later make our way to start of this 4-day Camino journey. Could we take a train, or perhaps flying to start of Camino makes more sense. Where will this all take us on a 4 day hike, say we can do 22 miles per day or so? Hostels, inns and small hotels? Towns, villages, sights? We want to cross Spainish border. Later we will take a train to see Barcelona and later still onto Madrid. Lots of logistics and sorry for asking so much. God Bless.

A few thoughts:
If Sarria to Santiago was tough for you, I assume because of the terrain, than the walk over the Pyrenees might be too much for you on your first day. Unless you really train well beforehand. Yes, the Pyrenees are stunning and yes, you will cross the border on the way from SJPDP to Roncesvalles (first or second day).
The traditional starting point of any pilgrimage is the door step of your own home. Anything else is a modern compromise. Actually that is quite liberating - You are free to start where you want to and what you can manage ;-)
4 days is really a bit short to experience the pilgrimage. Especially as it seems that you have actually more time according to your further travel plans (Barcelona/Madrid). The next two big places are Pamplona and then Puente la Reina, both well connected and easy to get to Madrid from there.

So if you want to stay with your 4 days plan, you might want to walk your first day 'only' from SJPDP to Orisson, second day to Roncesvalles, third day to Zubiri and forth day to Pamplona.

Hope that helps, Buen Camino, SY

You could start walking in Paris ... as pointed out there is no official beginning.

There are flights to Bayonne from Dublin and Paris. The train from Paris to Bayonne often makes more sense in terms of time and travel schedules than flying from Paris. Biarritz airport is the closest airport to SJPdP. SNCF TER operates trains and buses connecting Bayonne to SJPdP.

SJPdP to Pamplona is a reasonable goal for a 4 day jaunt.

Hi I'm going doing something similar, also did Sarria to Santiago last year, loved it caught the camino bug and can't wait to go back. I've chosen to fly Dublin to Biarritz 170€ return first week of June. I read on another forum that you get a bus from Biarritz to Bayonne for about 2€ and a train from Bayonne to St JP for about 10€. Depending on days that suit that flight can be cheaper but Saturday to Saturday is what suited me, if I was to have come home on the Sunday it would have only been 130 odd for flight. I was also advised that an early flight getting into Biarritz is better so my flight arrives at 12:40 and should be in good time to get train to St JP.
Hope that's some help.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back