• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 days route wanted

Dennersten

Hi i have been reading and reading. Me and 4 friends wanted to have a sniff of the Camino. We only have 4 days from 7 - 11 May. After reading it seems that the part leading up to Santiago is not that exiting? It seems also that crossing the Pyrenees are not that fun this part of the year.

Could somebody please advice about a nice entry point and exit point? Ideally we would like some nice nature. Some villages. and easy transport to and from.Is That possible?

Thank you very much for your insights in advance!

Best

Håkan from Sweden

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
4 days certainly is a small "sniff" of the Camino.

If you want to get your Compestella, you need to do the final 100 KM, which could probably be done in 4 days (25km a day).

Otherwise, pick the region that sounds prettiest to you that has enough buses to get you back at the end of your four days. Why not SJPdP to the other side of Pamplona? It is one of the prettiest stretches by all accounts, and you might not mind the difficulty of day one if you only have three more to go.

You can catch a bus at both ends:

1) Astorga - Rabanal del Camino 20.2
2) Rabanal del Camino - Molinaseca 24.8
3) Molinaseca - Cacabelos 23
4) Cacabelos - Ambasmestas 22.4

Total: 90.4

You get a great city, great views, and the Iron Cross.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi!

You could try the Camino Ingles. There are 2 routes - one starting from A Coruna (usually 3 days) and the other from Ferrol (usually 5 days). They meet in the middle and go down to Santiago, so a map of both routes is like a letter 'Y'.

The A Coruna route will not earn you a Compostela if that's important to you, but the Ferrol route will.

The Camino Ingles is much quieter than the Camino Frances, so there would not be so much company and accommodation is more limited. However you can walk a full Camino in the time you have!

To get to the start you can fly to A Coruna or Santiago. The train from Santiago to A Coruna is only about 50 minutes so if it was cheaper to fly both in and out of either city it's not a problem.

Buen Camino!

p.s. You could also walk between Santiago and Finisterre in about 4 days.

Hola

It depends if arriving in Santiago and getting a Compostela is important to you on this "taster" camino? If not then you have many choices on many routes. Madrid for example is very accessible and there are good transport links back to the capital from along the Madrid Route. Falcon has quoted a stretch of the Camino Frances. Tyrekk has mentioned the Camino Ingles - my own view is that the route from Ferrol is tight in 4 days but the lovely route from Coruna could readily take 4 days if you split the first long day into two.

Another option is the Camino Portuguese, flying in and out of Santiago. From Santiago take the train to Redondela:

Redondela – Pontevedra 20.5 kms
Pontevedra – Caldas de Reis 21.1 kms
Caldas de Reis – Padrón 17 kms
Padrón – Santiago 23.9 kms

Buen camino!

John

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I go along with a start at SJPDP or better still , Roncesvalles.
My second choice would be a start at Burgos with four days though the Meseta.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bit off topic but would like recommendations for a choosing a route starting from Plymouth to Santander ferry arriving on a July Monday, would like to consider the walk the English for 5 to 7 days to Santiago starting from Ferrol. The other choice is to fly to Porto from Stanstead and begin the walk from Tui on the Portugese. Back-tracking from Santiago by bus is not a suitable option as it takes the element of surprise looking at the same track one is going to walk in a few day'stime

Gaining a Compostela is not the main objective but the route should suit a reasonably fit 74 year old man who would like to take in the spiritual aspects of the Camino at a slow pace. Due to the need for age related frequent toilet visits he would prefer to stay in private lodgings and have allocated Euro 250 to cover the whole accommodation.

Hope there will be some helpful comments from the many experienced forum members.

Joe

Hi Hakan
Since you plan to walk for only 4 days you dont want long bus journeys before or after your walk. If you can easily fly into Biarritz why not do 4 days from ST Jean.
If you can fly into Bilboa, there are good connections to Pamplona and back from Logrono. This is a good sample to encourage you back again and you can have the option of city breaks in Pamplona ,Logrono and Bilboa , what else could one wish for?
Let us know what you decide?
Buen Camino
Justin

waveprof said:
4 days certainly is a small "sniff" of the Camino.

If you want to get your Compestella, you need to do the final 100 KM, which could probably be done in 4 days (25km a day).

Otherwise, pick the region that sounds prettiest to you that has enough buses to get you back at the end of your four days. Why not SJPdP to the other side of Pamplona? It is one of the prettiest stretches by all accounts, and you might not mind the difficulty of day one if you only have three more to go.

Thanks!

Hmm maybe we should extend it to 5 days. How long distance should we plan per day for 5 midage, not so trained slight overweight gentlemens :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
falcon269 said:
You can catch a bus at both ends:

1) Astorga - Rabanal del Camino 20.2
2) Rabanal del Camino - Molinaseca 24.8
3) Molinaseca - Cacabelos 23
4) Cacabelos - Ambasmestas 22.4

Total: 90.4

You get a great city, great views, and the Iron Cross.

Sounds great thanks! how are transportations in and out?

tyrrek said:
Hi!

You could try the Camino Ingles. There are 2 routes - one starting from A Coruna (usually 3 days) and the other from Ferrol (usually 5 days). They meet in the middle and go down to Santiago, so a map of both routes is like a letter 'Y'.

The A Coruna route will not earn you a Compostela if that's important to you, but the Ferrol route will.

The Camino Ingles is much quieter than the Camino Frances, so there would not be so much company and accommodation is more limited. However you can walk a full Camino in the time you have!

To get to the start you can fly to A Coruna or Santiago. The train from Santiago to A Coruna is only about 50 minutes so if it was cheaper to fly both in and out of either city it's not a problem.

Buen Camino!

p.s. You could also walk between Santiago and Finisterre in about 4 days.

Wow i am overwhelmed with all great suggestions Thanks! There will be a lot of reading. For me coming days. But easy transportation in and out is a huge advantage.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dennersten said:
How long distance should we plan per day for 5 midage, not so trained slight overweight gentlemens :)
I'd aim for between 20 and 25kms per day. You can amend that depending on the terrain, walking surfaces etc. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back