• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 Extra days. Where would you travel?

JCarpenter

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, Fr2022
My husband and I have ended up with four extra days, leaving Santiago on the 11th and with a hotel and then departure in Madrid on the 15th. We would like to go to two places that offer art or nature and good food, with minimal time in transit. We prefer trains, though that is not a requirement. Where would you stop?
Moderator, feel free to move to a better section. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Zamora!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ourense comes to mind. I haven't been there but lets hope someone who has describes it. It is on the way back to Madrid.
Not sure that Ourense is particularly outstanding for either art or food. Enough of both for my lowbrow tastes though. Where it does score highly for me is the thermal bathing. I love hot springs and Ourense gives you a selection to choose from. A great way to relax and unwind.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go for a wine tour in the Rias Baixas, better if you hire a car in Santiago. Can take a boat and see some of the mussel farms… we stayed in a beautiful and not expensive hotel in Meaño called Quinta de San Amaro. It has swimming pool, massage, gorgeous 4-poster bed, and very decadent dinner and breakfast! Hotel guests also get a complimentary winery tour of a nearby producer called Paco y Lola.

Here is a good list of wineries to visit, the garden in Pazo Rubianes is soooo beautiful, but I was in my smelly pilgrim clothes and we were rushing to make it into our complimentary wine tour so didn’t get to enjoy the beautiful garden! https://www.timetravelturtle.com/wine-tasting-salnes-galicia-spain/

Our winery tour guide told us of traditional houses in the area called Furanchos… these are local homes who provide home cooked meals and their own homemade wines… and people go from furanchos to furanchos!

Next time I come back I’ll definitely make a longer post Camino trip here. Or maybe after Portugues… because it’s all in that region.

Last fall while returning to Madrid my walking partner and I stopped for a night in Segovia to see the Alcazar and the Roman aqueduct and then a night in El Escorial. In Madrid we had lunch at Botin, regarded as one of the oldest, if not the oldest restaurant in the world. I had visited each of these places as a child 60 years ago.

My husband and I have ended up with four extra days, leaving Santiago on the 11th and with a hotel and then departure in Madrid on the 15th. We would like to go to two places that offer art or nature and good food, with minimal time in transit. We prefer trains, though that is not a requirement. Where would you stop?
Segovia and Toledo are both great cities on the way to Madrid. Toledo has some El Greco paintings on display and Segovia has a spectacular aqueduct, a beautiful castle and the famous suckling pig.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are interested in cave paintings, Spain had quite a few very old ones in excellent condition. I visited these two a few years ago. I didn't have a car so had to take an irregular bus and walk a lot, from Santander (this city has an excellent neolithic museum).

Go to Madrid. Have a day in the galleries - largely in El Museo Del Prado. Have a day at El Escorial. Maybe another in Toledo. Spend an evening around Calle Jesus or just west of Sol. Walk to Goya’s tomb. Avoid flamenco - you’re not in Andalucía, avoid paella; you’re not in Valencia. Eat ham by all means.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Go to Madrid. Have a day in the galleries - largely in El Museo Del Prado. Have a day at El Escorial. Maybe another in Toledo. Spend an evening around Calle Jesus or just west of Sol. Walk to Goya’s tomb. Avoid flamenco - you’re not in Andalucía, avoid paella; you’re not in Valencia. Eat ham by all means.
You could easily spend 2 days just on art in Madrid: a day in the Prado, 1/2 day each, at least in the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen-Bornemisza. You can buy a ticket that covers all three of them.

Artwalk ticket 32 euros. Well worth it.

Prado: classical art

Reina Sofia: more modern art including Guernica

The three museums are literally blocks apart, and the Prado is surrounded by a beautiful park as well.

Thyssen-Bornemisza: like an art history text, in real life. A bit of everything! Incredible collection.

Zamora is a train stop on the way back to Madrid. Museums and lots of history to see. We loved it there.

We loved hanging out at Muxia just to chill, watch sunsets, and decompress.

We are in San Sabastian now. Great city, but lots of tourists and crowded after being on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have done the Canary Islands and the Douro Valley after several long Caminos. LavanyaLea’s suggestion of the Rias Baixas is an excellent one because it is closer. The Illas Cies accessible by ferry from Baiona, Spain have been on my bucket list for several years.

Rías Baixas, if the weather is nice take the boat from Vigo to Cies Island

Thank you for posting this! We have a similar situation in October and were thinking about posing the same question here in the forum. Great stuff!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Avila or Valladolid or Salamanca. All with beautiful plaza majored.

I had the same "problem" and an experienced Spanish pilgrim recommended Toledo. It has everything you need and transportation by train was easy. Don't forget to go outside the walls of the old city to find the Roman ruins.
I loved it.

This spring after our camino we spent 5 days in Muxia. We were able to take day hikes on the Camino dos Faros from there. Beautiful. There are good bus connections between Santiago and Muxia.

After our 2019 camino we spent a wonderful week in Gijon. A lovely non-touristy city. An easy place to pretend you live in Spain and envy the wonderful life the people have there.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved many of the suggestions you have been given, but since you will be on your way to Madrid, I recommend an extra day in wonderful Toledo; the other one exploring Madrid, which will be less stress since you already will be in the city before flying home.

Just spent 2 days in Braga on way to Madrid and wish in had spent more time there. We would like to returning to this charming place with great food.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a few miles north of Madrid is the town of Sergovia which has a lot to offer. Many festivals under the large Roman aqueduct.

All sorts of option suggestions here but none beats a few days in Santiago, drinking coffee and watching those pilgrims you haven’t seen for ages arrive in Santiago

I spent my extra days in Madrid. It was fantastic. Lots of great art, parks, good food, and Flamenco shows, so I would plan to spend a couple of days there prior to departure. In between, Zamora or Salamanca look interesting as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could easily spend 2 days just on art in Madrid: a day in the Prado, 1/2 day each, at least in the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen-Bornemisza. You can buy a ticket that covers all three of them.

Artwalk ticket 32 euros. Well worth it.

Prado: classical art

Reina Sofia: more modern art including Guernica

The three museums are literally blocks apart, and the Prado is surrounded by a beautiful park as well.

Thyssen-Bornemisza: like an art history text, in real life. A bit of everything! Incredible collection.
Thanks for sharing these sites - and sights.
A morning cup of coffee and headphones accompanied me as I joyfully went down the rabbit hole looking at the art available to me next time I'm in Spain.
Caravaggio! Picasso!! Velasquez!!! I can't wait!

A lot of great places to visit above! Personally I would say Sevilla, is a train ride from Madrid. They have nice B&Bs, restaurants, Bullfighting stadium and museum, and beautiful churches and parks. This place was touched by the Moors, lots of History. There’s is also Granada and Malaga close to the coast! Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A lot of great places to visit above! Personally I would say Sevilla, is a train ride from Madrid. They have nice B&Bs, restaurants, Bullfighting stadium and museum, and beautiful churches and parks. This place was touched by the Moors, lots of History. There’s is also Granada and Malaga close to the coast! Buen Camino
Aw c’mon! The OP is starting in Santiago and has four days total before departing Madrid. Sevilla is indeed a train ride from Madrid; but it’s 2-40 travelling time (each way) once they’ve spent the best part of a day getting to Madrid from Santiago, travelled to the station in good time and disembarked … that’s a couple of days.

I love Sevilla. The Bodega Santa Cruz is fractionally ahead of Malaga’s Antigua Casa de Guarda as my preferred final resting place - but it’s nowhere near being on a straight line between Santiago and Madrid Barajas.

Perhaps it’s the American inhuman lack of holiday time? Most Europeans, faced with a couple of days at leisure might think a long lunch was called for. Some Americans would consider crossing the country to spend a hurried day hitting the highlights of a city which deserves weeks just to scratch the surface.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these sites - and sights.
A morning cup of coffee and headphones accompanied me as I joyfully went down the rabbit hole looking at the art available to me next time I'm in Spain.
Caravaggio! Picasso!! Velasquez!!! I can't wait!
Me too! We spent one day, racing through these 3 museums. Next time, way longer...and for those interested, there's a similar trio in Lisbon as well, though they're not so close together...

Museum of Ancient Art (not the Prado, but still an interesting collection)

Berardo Collection (an impressive collection of international 20th-century art)

and the Gulbenkian, with its accompanying modern art museum. The Gulbenkian is another one of these ex-private collections that has an incredible range and some real masterpieces

Just another reason to spend some days in Lisbon...

Last edited:
Porto, Portugal. From memory when I went after my first Camino it was only a few hours via bus (but there may be a train too?) from Santiago De Compostela. You could definitely hit the highlights in a few days.

€83,-
Aw c’mon! The OP is starting in Santiago and has four days total before departing Madrid. Sevilla is indeed a train ride from Madrid; but it’s 2-40 travelling time (each way) once they’ve spent the best part of a day getting to Madrid from Santiago, travelled to the station in good time and disembarked … that’s a couple of days.

I love Sevilla. The Bodega Santa Cruz is fractionally ahead of Malaga’s Antigua Casa de Guarda as my preferred final resting place - but it’s nowhere near being on a straight line between Santiago and Madrid Barajas.

Perhaps it’s the American inhuman lack of holiday time? Most Europeans, faced with a couple of days at leisure might think a long lunch was called for. Some Americans would consider crossing the country to spend a hurried day hitting the highlights of a city which deserves weeks just to scratch the surface.
Many factors at work here. Distances seem so much smaller in Spain than say Wyoming, Texas, Montana, etc. Also more availability of public transit. In the US you simply "can't get there from here" in many cases without driving for days in a car. I live "close" to Yellowstone National Park and it is still 7-8 hour drive (and it is still in the same state).

A one or two day whirlwind trip isn't enough to do real justice to many cities, but we're like a kid in a candy store when presented with the ability to travel and see so much easily in a smaller geographical space.

Still, I would opt for the soothing wave action in Muxia if I had extra days to spend near Santiago.

I agree with the poster who suggested Zamora-- fabulous town and could get from SDC to Zamora easily enough with train. A suggestion for a second place would be Salamanca, beautiful university town, the oldest in Spain and I believe the 3rd oldest in western Europe. I went between Zamora and Salamanca with bus service, but I know that there is train service from Salamanca to Madrid for your flight back home. Both Z. and S. are on the Via de la Plata so you will see pilgrims in each of these towns.(and both have outstanding albergues-- you should to visit them just to say hi to the hospitaleros serving). Each of these towns has a restaurant-lined Plaza Mayor! I would say that they meet your requirements.

We took a day tour to Finisterre and
on the second day we went to A Coruña by train

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our winery tour guide told us of traditional houses in the area called Furanchos… these are local homes who provide home cooked meals and their own homemade wines… and people go from furanchos to furanchos!
This is an excellent idea, but keep in mind that many of the furanchos are closed by July… as by law their opening hours are limited to a 3 month window.

The area of Cobas, aka the ‘milla de oro de furanchos’, is particularly popular.

Not good for OP, but definitely a stout cultural experience for anyone else finding this post in the right season.

As others have mentioned, Segovia and Toledo as well as Madrid itself could easily fill those days with worthwhile activities. Castles, Cathedrals, and two world class art museums.

One tip not often mentioned here is to book a free (tip at the end please) walking tour of every place you visit. They make for an excellent way to get an insider perspective and history. Google is your friend for this, as there are usually many options.

These are such wonderful, thoughtful responses! Thank you all for taking the time to give such thoughtful ideas. It will, in reality, all be put together on a map once at home, and turn into another trip back to Spain and Portugal within the next few years. I will take a picture of thebresults and post here when I return.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Barcelona and train to Montserrat.

Speaking as someone who has never (yet) been to Spain.

After the transient life of the Camino, I would spend all of those four days in Madrid. hmm, Maybe an extra day in Santiago before leaving for Madrid.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.