• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 flights, 2 shuttles and 1 train arriving from West Canada

canadiangal

Time of past OR future Camino
February/March (2013)
Hello Everyone,

My 13 year old daughter and I will be arriving in late February for our first Camino. We will have a long day ahead of us having to take 4 airplanes, 2 shuttle busses and a train to reach St. Jean Pied de Port. I'm sure we will be excited and exhausted all at the same time.

My question is: Due to the lengthy time travelling to get to St. Jean Pied de Port, with the time change differences, etc, should we spend ONE or TWO nights in St. Jean Pied de Port? I'd hate to start the Camino and twist an ankle or something because we are tired. I've heard that the first part of the Camino can be rough so we need to be alert and excited to walk.

Also, there have been several conflicting weather reports for the end of February to March. Will a fleece be enough or do I need to pack wool leggings, etc.? I'm just trying to pack extremely light but make the right choices.

Thanks for your replies! :D
CanadianGal

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Re: 4 flights, 2 shuttles and 1 train arriving from Western Cana

Hi CanadianGal!

I think it would be a very good idea to spend a day or so somewhere to break the journey or recover from it. Even just travelling from the UK takes all day and is a bit tiring even without a significant time difference.

It could be very cold at the start of your walk. I'd browse the equipment section of the forum for ideas, and go to a good outdoor store for advice on your options.

Buen Camino!

It would probably be a good idea to stay at least one night. SJPdP is a really nice town. Once you are there, you can decide if you will want to stay another night.

Soo great to have your daughter with you. Maybe see how she feels. Perhaps she will inspire you to get moving after only one night.

Your Camino will reveal itself and provide what you need.

I wish the best of all journeys.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Welcome to the Forum! You will find much useful information here for planning your camino. After such a long journey to arrive at SJPdP 2 nights of rest makes sense. Take warm layers since one never knows what the weather will be. Buen camino to you both, Margaret Meredith

You will be loaded with Adrenalin when you arrive to SJPDPD, the excitement will over power the after effects of your flight. I suggest you walk up 6 km to Hounto nad rest half a day there. It'll be easier to make the second part of the crossing.
No need for rest.
Check the day you arrive if the pass is passable, don't take any chances , in case of doubt thake the road or take the shuttle to Roncevalles and save a day.

If you want to start slowly, spend one night in SJPP and then the second night at Orisson, just a few kilometers up into the Pyrenees. Idling a whole day away in SJPP you'll wish you'd moved on at least a little bit.

And starting the next day from Orisson gives you a jump start on one of the toughest days of your walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be in the same situation late April. Coming from Central America I have to take 3 flights in order to reach Pamplona and will suffer from terrible jet lag with an 8 hour time difference

Thus I decided to take a taxi to SJPdP, arriving there in the evening. And walk the first day to Orrisson only.
This way it is not as tragic when I will get going slowly in the mornings. The hike will be demanding enough for me anyway.

Hi Canadiangal,
As another 'gal' from western Canada, I'm trying to imagine how you got such a complicated flight. Wow! But how wonderful to be walking the camino with your daughter. Congratulations. I had my grown daughter with me for two weeks on the camino in 2005 and it was complete joy!. About your questions. No a fleecy will definitely not do. You need some layers. I suggest that you get yourselves at least silk longjohns (MEC has them) and preferably merino wool sweaters which are very light and fold up to nothing. Then your fleecy. Make sure you have good waterproof (light) boots for February and March because if you're not up to your knees in snow it will likely be very muddy once you get past the pavement. You'll also need a poncho or rainjacket and preferably rain pants or gaiters - if not for the rain then for the cold. The average temperature in SJPP in February varies between 14 and 5 degrees (that's at the foot of the mountain- so almost certainly freezing up above) and the average rainfall is about 3 or 4 inches (less than in April and May). Be sure to check at the Pilgrims' Office in SJPP to make sure the pass is safe to travel and don't travel it if they say not to. The alternate route via Valcarlos, which stays lower in the foothills is quite lovely in its own right. I don't mean to overstate this or sound negative about it because it's definitely my favourite part of the walk. But people do die up there almost every year for one reason or another so overprepare and take a couple of extra old, warm, light things and then leave them behind for someone else when you don't need them anymore. As a point of interest one year we had snow in May outside of Leon (Then scorching hot weather for the next day)
If you are able to go on the Route Napolean, there is an auberge at Huntto (about 4 or 5 km straight up it seems from SJPP or, as mentioned earlier there's also one at Orisson (about 10km up)although he may not be open in February so be sure to check the website and email ahead of time. Again the Pilgrims Office in SJPP will know and usually prefer to phone for you to let them know you're coming.
The walk from SJPP over to Roncesvalles is the hardest part of the journey but when the weather is clear it is spectacular and a wonderful way to start the camino. Just be prepared for any kind of weather.
Have a wonderful camino!

Will a fleece do?

You'll be climbing to over 1400 meters on your first day, in February. A more appropriate question might be "Will snow-shoes do?" Chances are there will be snow and even if there isn't you can count on cold temperatures and strong wind. I've walked over this pass many times in July and August and I always ended up wearing a fleece and a wind-breaker.

Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe and you will be passing through towns and cities located at more than 900 meters during your walk. I found many stages to be cold in July.

I would bring long underwear, a waterproof and windproof outer shell, and then a couple layers of insulation to wear underneath including some kind of light down jacket.

It may be very, very cold on your walk so please be prepared.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much everyone for your insight. Keep the replies coming as I learn from all of them.

Cecelia - unfortunately our flights go from:
Kelowna to Vancouver
Vancouver to Toronto
Toronto to London (change airports)
London to Bairritz

Flying out of Kelowna is not the easiest because its a small city. I only just booked it a couple of weeks ago so I got left with the milk run!

I will most definitely check the weather on the first leg before we venture out. The tips on clothing are great! I am used to extreme cold temperatures living in Canada. I have plenty of warm clothing I just wanted to confirm what I suspected. Thanks again for all the comments! I truly appreciate it.

CanadianGal

Canadian Gal

My family and I walked the Camino last summer. We climbed over the higher route from St Jean to roncessvalle. We flew Vancouver, London, huge layover in Gatwick, Bordeaux, night in Bordeaux, train to St. Jean. We stayed two nights in st. Jean and fattened up on french pasteries, after the flights, and in prep for the climb.

I don't think it will be the jet lag or the travel time that will determine whether it will or should be one night or two in St. Jean because as a family, we still feel we could have scooted up to Orrison if there was enough daylight, before the first or second night. I believe it will be the climb conditions, particularly in Feb. that will determine your time of ascent, descent. Even in the summer, on the second day of walking, after Orrisson, after the hut at the top of the pass, weather conditions deteriated to wind and blowing rain. I assume that February will bring winter equivalents of this summer experience.

If you have prepared gear and food wise, checked in to weather conditions at the pilgrim office, talked to other pilgrims hoping to head out, talked to owners, employees, volunteers of the place you are overnighting the first night, and the conditions are good then maybe one night in st. Jean will be enough for you.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions.

Kelly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter and I will be leaving in May - we live in Cranbrook but opted for the 4 hour drive to Calgary to save on wait time in airports. Not sure how long in total your trip will take but catnap when ever you have the opportunity to help with any potential jet lag. We went to France a couple of years ago and I found the jet lag worse going over than it was coming back. I would consider even spending one night in Biarritz especially if you are not doing a round trip and flying back out of there. Plan for the worst and expect the best. Pack for layers and also remember your clothes can do double duty and be worn as night clothes as well. Some people have also mentioned they wished they had gloves especially for when they start out in the mornings. Very excited for you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back