• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4-in-one camino, is it doable?

Valeriel

Time of past OR future Camino
No previous Caminos. Arles from Pau then onto Somporte, the Camino Aragones and possibly to do route
Good day to all the experienced Pereginos,
I am a regular hiker, though not of the magnitude of having done any Caminos, however I wish to do a 4-in-1 Camino as this would be the only time in a long while that I will have such a long time off from work. I have 8 weeks to spare and was wondering whether this would be feasible. Starting on the French side in Orolon-Sainte-Marie, over the Somport Pass, continue with the Camino de Arogones to join The Camino Frances at Puenta la Reina up to Burgos. At Burgos to proceed north on a bus to Santander where I proceed onward with the Northern Route till Oviedo then go inland with the Primitivo Route onto Melide and Santiago. Should I have any wear left on my shoes I would like to proceed to Finisterre to finish at 'world's end'. My question is; is it doable in 8 weeks? It'll be unfortunately high season, August-September. I'm willing to camp on the Northern Route if no accommodation is available, would that be possible? Your valued opinion will be greatly appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
you plan sounds perfectly reasonable. you can probably include a few rest days as well. burgos and oviedo immediately spring to mind.

start with a rough plan with distances and accommodation options, taking care not to overdo it at the start (and especially on the climb to somport).

if you haven't found gronze yet, it has an excellent overview of pilgrim (and other) accommodation: https://www.gronze.com/.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Doable yes, but will miss part of the Frances and Norte. Then again, could be a great conversation piece. :)

Doable, but why not wait to Leon and try the San Salvador coupled with the Primitivo? I always think of them as companion walks, even though I haven't yet don the San Salvador (time!) Then you could turn right in Lugo and head over via the Camino Verde to Sobrado on the Del Norte and continue down towards Santiago. There is even a new stretch to avoid returning to the French route till .... well way down! Just a thought to ponder as you plot your walk! Buen Camino!

I only wish I had the time (and permission from the wife) to do the same...

Go for it! Your planned routing, Aragones, Frances, Primitivo, Frances, sound great.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It sounds great, but taking a bus between caminos breaks the magic in my opinion. Why not start in Le Puy, in France, and then just do the Francés normally?

I only wish I had the time (and permission from the wife) to do the same...

Go for it! Your planned routing, Aragones, Frances, Primitivo, Frances, sound great.
Thank you for your inspiration.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Doable, but why not wait to Leon and try the San Salvador coupled with the Primitivo? I always think of them as companion walks, even though I haven't yet don the San Salvador (time!) Then you could turn right in Lugo and head over via the Camino Verde to Sobrado on the Del Norte and continue down towards Santiago. There is even a new stretch to avoid returning to the French route till .... well way down! Just a thought to ponder as you plot your walk! Buen Camino!
I thought of adding some sea breeze to a mostly inland trip. The distances between overnight stops on the San Salvador discouraged me a little, however there is still enough time, or even whilst walking might change my mind. Thank you all for the positive contributions.

you plan sounds perfectly reasonable. you can probably include a few rest days as well. burgos and oviedo immediately spring to mind.

start with a rough plan with distances and accommodation options, taking care not to overdo it at the start (and especially on the climb to somport).

if you haven't found gronze yet, it has an excellent overview of pilgrim (and other) accommodation: https://www.gronze.com/.
Is gronze only available in Spanish? I've checked it out once and couldn't find the option to translate it, it seems very informative.

How about turning north in Fromista and walking the Canal de Castille to Alar del Rey and from there proceed to Santander by train, bus or on foot and follow the Norte to the Primitivo? Add the alternative to continue from Alar del Rey to Potes and walk to Llanes.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is gronze only available in Spanish? I've checked it out once and couldn't find the option to translate it, it seems very informative.
Gronze only speaks Spanish; but its Spanish is even more basic than mine. You'll quickly find yourself translating its simple and repetitive phrases. Keep Google Translate open in a separate tab for if you get truly stuck while browsing.

And my nudge on your route planning: unless you are determined on a paddle or a swim in briny Biscay stick with the Frances to Leon, take the Salvador to Oviedo and be happy. You can always take a paddle in the ocean at Cee or Muxia..

I am a regular hiker, though not of the magnitude of having done any Caminos, however I wish to do a 4-in-1 Camino as this would be the only time in a long while that I will have such a long time off from work. I have 8 weeks to spare and was wondering whether this would be feasible. Starting on the French side in Orolon-Sainte-Marie, over the Somport Pass, continue with the Camino de Arogones to join The Camino Frances at Puenta la Reina up to Burgos. At Burgos to proceed north on a bus to Santander where I proceed onward with the Northern Route till Oviedo then go inland with the Primitivo Route onto Melide and Santiago. Should I have any wear left on my shoes I would like to proceed to Finisterre to finish at 'world's end'. My question is; is it doable in 8 weeks? It'll be unfortunately high season, August-September. I'm willing to camp on the Northern Route if no accommodation is available, would that be possible? Your valued opinion will be greatly appreciated.

If you're a fast enough hiker, there should be more than enough time, so much so that you could probably walk from LĂ©on to Oviedo, as another option, which I've been told by a few people is a beautiful variant in its own right (though cyclists perhaps like it better than walkers do) ...

Your plan would also involve skipping most of the meseta, IMO a straightforward mistake given your generous time allowance.

It sounds great, but taking a bus between caminos breaks the magic in my opinion. Why not start in Le Puy, in France, and then just do the Francés normally?

I'd guess, for him, because 8 weeks would be unlikely to be enough for it

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree with

I agree re the Salvador - a really beautiful 5 days. I also did the detour from Lugo to San Salvador in 2013 (I didn't know it had a name), a crazy unforgettable 52km in the day

Gronze only speaks Spanish; but its Spanish is even more basic than mine. You'll quickly find yourself translating its simple and repetitive phrases. Keep Google Translate open in a separate tab for if you get truly stuck while browsing.
Even easier is to use the Chrome browser, which will translate it for you automatically.

My main concern is that it will be stinking hot even with doing a northern route. Whatever route you do consider the amount of water you are going to need to carry. You could end up needing 0.5-1l/hr at that time of year. It's a dry heat so the sweat evaporates straight off but that means you may not recognise early dehydration. Assume 4km/hr speed (and that's a good pace) which includes toilet stops, taking photos, food breaks. Definitely get a reflective umbrella.
And yay for pilgrims who do Caminos Mixtos!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought of adding some sea breeze to a mostly inland trip. The distances between overnight stops on the San Salvador discouraged me a little, however there is still enough time, or even whilst walking might change my mind. Thank you all for the positive contributions.
then perhaps instead of starting the norte in santander take the bus/train further to barreda and walk from there. you won't miss anything. the camino crosses the train tracks right next to barreda's train station. the first night stop could be beautiful santillana del mar which now has three albergues. if you arrive too early, you can side-trip to altamira caves.
later on the norte, be sure to stick to the coastal alternatives to get the most of the sea breeze. see this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/.

Wow, this surely sounds interesting. Thank you for the suggestion, I will check it out.:)
Valerie

My main concern is that it will be stinking hot even with doing a northern route. Whatever route you do consider the amount of water you are going to need to carry. You could end up needing 0.5-1l/hr at that time of year. It's a dry heat so the sweat evaporates straight off but that means you may not recognise early dehydration. Assume 4km/hr speed (and that's a good pace) which includes toilet stops, taking photos, food breaks. Definitely get a reflective umbrella.
And yay for pilgrims who do Caminos Mixtos!

Thank you Donna Sch, I will bear that in mind..hydrate,hydrate, hydrate! and the reflective umbrella sounds like a good idea. :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Canal de Castille to Alar del Rey
I like your idea as well to proceed to Fromista and then walk along the Canal de Castille to Alar del Rey and onto Potes and Llanes. i will surely check it out. Many thanks.

How about turning north in Fromista and walking the Canal de Castille to Alar del Rey and from there proceed to Santander by train, bus or on foot and follow the Norte to the Primitivo? Add the alternative to continue from Alar del Rey to Potes and walk to Llanes.
Hi, I checked the map and the stretch Alar del Rey to Potes seems really remote, is there a hiking trail, it seems a bit off the beaten track.

The Camino Lebaniego follows the canal and the northern end point is either Potes or Santo Torbio de Liebana, I admit I am unclear. I met a pilgrim from this forum named Canuck in a small town south of Fromista who was walking north to Potes. I was headed south and found the path along the canal going south to be poorly serviced, heading north from Fromista there are many towns.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I checked the map and the stretch Alar del Rey to Potes seems really remote, is there a hiking trail, it seems a bit off the beaten track.

Yes there's a trail -- it's getting up from LĂ©on rather than from Burgos or thereabouts that's more complicated.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back