• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

40% increase in pilgrim numbers in February?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article in El Correo Gallego reporting a substantial increase in pilgrim arrivals recorded in Santiago so far this year compared with the same period in 2022. Surprising given the 2022 Holy Year status. Early signs of a specially busy year rather than the drop observed after previous Holy Years?

The article summarises the figures: "Number of pilgrims who have arrived in Santiago in 2023 So far this year, a total of 9,368 people have completed the Camino de Santiago. Of all of them, 2,027 have finished it in the month of January; 2,860 in February, more than 40% more than during the previous period; and 4,481 during the days that we have been in the month of March." (Google Translate)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last February, there were still pandemic restrictions in place so the number 2034 for February 2022 was quite high, but 2860 is still a lot of pilgrims. It looks like it will indeed be a busy year for Santiago. And we are not going to start speculating about where they started or whether they carried their own bags, are we?

Last February, there were still pandemic restrictions in place so the number 2034 for February 2022 was quite high,
I walked the Via de la Plata in January and February last year and the restrictions did not seem very onerous to me. But there were probably large numbers who were still deterred from walking. I've just looked at the 2019 February figures for a pre-Covid comparison. 2,119 that month. So this February's figures are still a significant increase but not the dramatic 40% of the article headline.

When I went to look at the pilgrim office statistics I found that the website has been radically redesigned. It might take a while to get used to the new format!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
An article in El Correo Gallego reporting a substantial increase in pilgrim arrivals recorded in Santiago so far this year compared with the same period in 2022.
What it is is that the Correo Gallego reports a press event given by the director of Turismo de Galicia.

Oh boy and how they missed their chance for a great headline if they’d had a look of their own on the revamped statistics page of the Oficina del Peregrino. Because they could have seen that while the number of Spanish pilgrims decreased by 3% in February 2023 compared to 2022, the number of foreign pilgrims increased by a whopping 100% for the same period of comparison. And when you include February 2019 in these comparisons, yet another different picture emerges …

I think that the bottom line is this: The more people (“”tourists””) travel overall - globally, within Europe, domestically -, the more people will walk a Camino in Spain. Major expection: Easter week, long weekends due to national Spanish holidays and summer months in Holy Years.

Last edited:
I've just looked at the 2019 February figures for a pre-Covid comparison. 2,119 that month. So this February's figures are still a significant increase but not the dramatic 40% of the article headline.
That was the first thing I did, too.

Total figures for February 2018, 2019, and 2022 are all in the 2000-2200 range.

For these months, total figures for Spanish pilgrims show a yearly increase and now a stagnation while for foreign pilgrims there is a significant drop in February 2022 and a significant increase in February 2023, always compared to the previous year.

I am not convinced that this is particularly predictive for total figures of the current year … maybe for May and September though … the preferred months for foreign pilgrims, especially the first two weeks of these two months.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.