• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

400,000 euros to be spent on Camino in Castilla y León

peregrina2000

Staff member
That seems like a lot of money, and I was surprised to read the article Javier just posted. http://www.canal54.es/el-camino-de-...o-las-nuevas-directrices-del-consejo-jacobeo/

First bit of news for me was to see that at the regional level, the Camino is handled by the Department of Tourism, just like in Galicia, and not by the Department of Culture (where it used to be located, at least in Galicia). This seems to lead inevitably to a certain focus and emphasis.

Second bit of news is that there is now a 7 month program to standardize all camino signs in Castilla and León. From what I could see in the video, it looks to me like this region has chosen the rectangular blue sign with a schematic shell, a figure walking, and the arrow. You have undoubtedly seen these signs. 7 months and 400,000 euros to fix a problem that I haven't heard anyone mention in years and years on the Camino Francés.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking between Granja and Tábara (in Castilla and Leon) today, on the VdlP, I noticed new signs like these, on posts in the ground. Sometimes at variance to older stone blocks with hard to read yellow arrows. Possibly re-routing the path around the Ave works. They were actually quite helpful but I wonder how long the wooden posts will last.

That seems like a lot of money, and I was surprised to read the article Javier just posted. http://www.canal54.es/el-camino-de-...o-las-nuevas-directrices-del-consejo-jacobeo/

7 months and 400,000 euros to fix a problem that I haven't heard anyone mention in years and years on the Camino Francés.

Signage on the Camino has been a concern for years of the Consejo Jacobeo and other authorities. because of false arrows and dubious diversions. The death of Denise Thiem put the issue even higher on the agenda. Denise would be alive today if the arrows past Castrillo de los Polvazares had been in order.

400,000 Euros of expenditure. 100,000 euros into the local economy on labour? 50,000? None, 'cos the job will go to a major national contractor?

Just think what just a bit of 400k would do for St Anton, or other donativo / parochial Albergues.

What happened to Denise was tragic and attributable. 400,000 Euros on pretty little plaques will not stop the proliferation of deceiving arrows painted by those bars, Albergues and Pueblos who have been by-passed by the Autopista-Peregrino.

Perhaps it is time to start reminding the money-grabbers with that Peregrino Euro sparkling in their eyes "No soy un tourista!".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@ Anamiri composting toilets only work if people obey the rules - ie only human waste a small amount of toilet paper and the lid lowered after use. It was tried in one little village years ago and was quickly filled up with plastics and other rubbish and became disgusting very quickly and completely full and overflowing.

@ Anamiri composting toilets only work if people obey the rules - ie only human waste a small amount of toilet paper and the lid lowered after use. It was tried in one little village years ago and was quickly filled up with plastics and other rubbish and became disgusting very quickly and completely full and overflowing.
I have experienced the odd one that isn't pleasant (if you've done the Tongariro crossing you'll know what I mean, that is a track with high traffic) but most of them here are not too bad (they do need regular servicing like any other toilet - but that could be contracted to locals). Maybe even the 'long drop' option that the early NZ settlers used is a better option. At least they are better than people just doing their business all over the place, and confines the mess to one place. I think a lot of pilgrims may not be used to the 'no toilet' environment, which probably contributes to the unfortunate mess you find behind many trees and shelter.
The smell of a 'non flushing' toilet may not be particularly fragrant, but most people are just looking for a spot of privacy.
In my experience the act of walking and exercise often speeds things up in that department, and a more frequent toilet would be welcome.
I would rather have a cheaper arrow system, and toilets than fancy arrows.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw the big sign explaining about this big investment just out of Frómista and was surprised as well. It read that they indeed were going to spend the money on signage, the paths and some resting places (they showed a picture of the one on top of the little hill out of Castrojeríz). But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the signage, the paths and the resting places (apart from a few small repairs). What a waste...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back