• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

40kg stone-carrying pilgrimage on St Olav's Way, Norway - Stone will Answer book review

Time of past OR future Camino
Beatrice Searle was featured on our BBC Radio 4 this morning. She's just had a book published about her somewhat untypical pilgrimage, mainly on the St Olav's Way.
There's an intriguing review in the Herald
Here's the first paragraph:
Why would a slight young Welsh woman want to drag her own bodyweight of Scottish rock and metal for hundreds of miles across the Norwegian countryside? Despite having read Beatrice Searle account of her extraordinary journey, I can’t pretend to fully understand what drove the then 26-year-old to sculpt a pair of footprints onto a 40kg lump of Orkney siltstone, traverse the North Sea with it on a century-old sailing boat and then haul it over hills and bogs on a home-made trailer while camping by night among the woods and wastelands. But I’ve certainly learned some interesting things about history, myth, stonemasonry and, above all, human resilience.

And here's another review in The Spectator

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fascinating!
I haven't read the book, but what these reviews have made me think more about (especially where the Spectator describes how she brought the stone back to its resting place in Orkney) is - what do we bring with us on pilgrimage, what do we leave behind on the pilgrimage having undertaken it, and what do we bring back?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't read the book, but what these reviews have made me think more about (especially where the Spectator describes how she brought the stone back to its resting place in Orkney) is - what do we bring with us on pilgrimage, what do we leave behind on the pilgrimage having undertaken it, and what do we bring back?

Her journey also brings to mind motivation for a pilgrimage.

Why do we set out?

It is pretty intense. I would love to be in a room and listen to her story.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This, to me seems analogous to a pilgrim doing a full-sized cross, on a shoulder, in emulation of Jesus Christ, as a penitential act while making the Camino. Over the millennia, I am certain that many other pilgrims have done similar things to demonstrate increased fervor and piety.

I am reminded of historic movements, and some current groups, who believe in flagellation as a penitential act. A tad extreme, IMHO, but who am I to judge.

I am aware of walking barefoot (when sandals or shoes were available), carrying added weight, toting the full-size cross, making many stops at religious places for prayer, offering or other penitential action, or simply holding rosary beads and praying while one walks. So, dragging a large stone on a trailer fits within this paradigm. Whatever floats your boat and serves your purpose is valid.

I support each pilgrim doing their personal Camino in whatever manner they choose, as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others along the way. Consideration for other pilgrims is critical. So, and in that vein, walking with a strand of garlic cloves around your neck (to ward off evil), or a Durian fruit on a lanyard, etc., would NOT be advisable.

Otherwise, have at it - and Buen Camino!

Tom

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back