• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

40L pack too small or?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I'I not sure if I am looking at this wrong
y'all are talking backs of 35-45l
but the Gossamer gear 40L gorilla pack that I have used and loved seems to be shy on volume
My content weight is doing fine but it is STUFFED and I only have 75% of planned contents in it
(weights of all planned items within goal)

the body is 28 liters and the rest of volume is in rear pocket and side pockets etc

Every one seems adamant that 60L is too big, but the Zpacks Arc has 47 L body and fully outfitted it only weighs 750 gm and the gorilla 858!
I hear the warning that a larger pack will tempt one to over fill

I guess my question is how you are getting the volume into those smaller packs: I can't see how to do it.

(And those of you men who hike in shorts only need not contribute comments as a couple of Tshirts and shorts won't meet my challenge)
thanks for the thoughts
Nanc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
28 liters is probably a bit small unless you are fairly ruthless (or a man who hikes in shorts). I personally am taking a 60L Z-pack, with only about 40L of space used. The contents will be pulled tight and thin against the back of the pack so as to keep center of gravity very close to my body. Then, in Santiago I have room for purchases. Or, if I need to carry some of my son's gear due to injury, etc. I have space for it.

Chances are your space is being consumed by a larger sleeping bag (in which case a compression stuff sack could help).

Chances are also that space is being taken up by clothing. Try to roll your clothes into a "roll", insert them into a dry bag, and then, while sitting on the bag so all the air is squished out, proceed to roll and fasten the lip of the dry bag so that it is air tight and highly compressed.

Agree that 28L is on the small side unless you're a minimalist. My profile photo shows my Aarn Natural Exhiliration backpack which is 33L for the main pack plus 12L for the two front balance pockets. This worked well for our entire Francés.

The ZPacks Arc looks a good option. I used a ZPacks cuban fibre pack cover that I was very happy with. If you stick with your packing list and not TOO many 'last minute' items, you won't overfill. I agree with @koilife that a higher volume pack, if the weight is right, can be pulled tight and will sit closer to your body ensuring that you are well balanced.

Be brave and publish your packing list and be prepared for all the comments and advice, none of which you have to comply with! There could just be a solution among it all that will really help.

Happy planning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, posting your packing list could help - someone will always tell you what to leave out! I am now comfortably packing in my 30L Osprey Tempest and have done it several times so I know it works (for me) and it is not much bigger and has a lot less outside space. Unlike your Gorilla I have a lid on mine where I keep the rain poncho, gaiters and wind jacket. I also sometimes keep my EVA (plastic) sandals in one of the side pockets and the water bottle in the other. All these items can handle a bit of rain, sun and dust, so could you keep them in the outside pockets? A compression bag for a bulky sleeping bag (and clothes) is also a good idea, and if you don't use a poncho or gaiters, a rain jacket/suit or fleece could live in that massive front stash pocket? If it really won't fit you might have to reconsider the choice of pack but it would be a shame when you already have a great piece of kit like the Gorilla. Best of luck finding the right solution for you!

I have a 40 liter pack and it seems to be just right for me. The thing that takes the most room is my stuff sack with sleeping bag. My clothes are in a dry bag packed as koilife suggests. What seems to be the most bulky thing in your pack?

but the Gossamer gear 40L gorilla pack that I have used and loved seems to be shy on volume
My content weight is doing fine but it is STUFFED and I only have 75% of planned contents in it

the body is 28 liters and the rest of volume is in rear pocket and side pockets etc

Every one seems adamant that 60L is too big, but the Zpacks Arc has 47 L body and fully outfitted it only weighs 750 gm and the gorilla 858!

I guess my question is how you are getting the volume into those smaller packs: I can't see how to do it.

(And those of you men who hike in shorts only need not contribute comments as a couple of Tshirts and shorts won't meet my challenge)
thanks for the thoughts
Nanc
Have you tried using compression bags for your clothes. You don't need special hiking ones. I use the ones from my local home store - the roll up type and keep one complete set of dry clothes in one and my dry(ied) towel in another. After that it's up to you how you pack them :). I find that if I use a larger pack, I'm tempted to put more stuff in it, perhaps stuff that I don't really need. I've managed very well with a 30L pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Chances are your space is being consumed by a larger sleeping bag (in which case a compression stuff sack

Chances are also that space is being taken up by clothing. Try to roll your clothes into a "roll"
I have a 40 liter pack and it seems to be just right for me. The thing that takes the most room is my stuff sack with sleeping bag. My clothes are in a dry bag packed as koilife suggests. What seems to be the most bulky thing in your pack?

Sorry my editing when replying to a post is poor
My sac is a 1 lb compressed bag
I think you're right on clothing .
Ditty items have been in zip locks but my clothing from jacket to pants etc have been stuffed in as I head out on hikes. I was merely trying to get items in to increase weight
Let me bag these up. If I can't make it work I'll submit my packing list for the gauntlet

Why worry about what L rating the bag is???? Take the minimum of what you need and the bag that works for that! If your gear doesn't fit, the bags too small.

For my 4 caminos I used a very comfortable, lightweight 60L bag (2lbs, 3oz). The first Camino it was too heavy caused I brought too much stuff, each subsequent trip it got lighter as I learned just how much equipment I needed. No need to change the bag. In the end I could just throw my sleeping bag in, uncompressed if I was in a hurry or not wanting to wake other pilgrims by rolling it if I was leaving early in the morning. Later I would properly pack it, cinch down the straps, and away I'd go. There was lots of empty room to keep ALL my belongings inside (why have half your stuff hanging off the outside of the pack because it doesn't fit inside and ruin your center of balance?). Enough room to throw in a baguette without squishing it and couple of pieces of fruit. Enough room to easy look in and pull out what I needed without having to disgorge the whole pack each time.

Having a larger pack doesn't mean you'll bring too much gear. You only bring too much gear because YOU PUT IT IN! It's not like an all-you-can-eat buffet where you try to stuff in as much as you can. One just needs to use a little self-control.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The forum leans to the smaller the better, as less weight usually less injury, if you have back packed in the past much most people have a good idea what works for them. I used a 48l that was just fine. But I have packed all my life & I continue to use it for 2-5 day backcountry trips. For longer I have a larger pack 85l. For my needs I wouldn't go smaller just because it would not work as well here at home.
You will find every modern convenience for the most part every day, I think someone in the late spring into fall could just show up with the clothes on their back & purchase a minimum amount of items would get along just fine.

The pack I took on all my walks last year was a 50+10 Deuter that was 50 but could stretch to hold 60 and I actually carried a tent the whole time, even across the Camino despite not using it on Camino. I felt it served itself very well and this year have a 6 day walk I will be using it on once again.

thanks for the thoughts
Nanc
Used a osprey aether 60ltr backpack,primarily for the moulded hip belt,over filled it in 2012 /18 kilo this year's Camino I've got the weight to 10 kilo a lot of people said it was too large,but very easy to pack and for me comfortable,but packs and gear are a personal choice,good luck on your search. Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 40 L would normally be plenty, in my opinion. (I use 31 L even for late fall.) However, if your main compartment is only 28 L, that is less flexible/efficient and you would have to figure our how to use the other 12 L most conveniently.

When shopping for pack volume what worked for me was to get everything together that I wanted to bring with me and measure the volume. Buy a pack that fits well, feels good, and will hold the volume and weight that you want carry. I would consider 40 L to be too big for me but I saw many people quite content carrying that volume or more.

Mine is a 30L and I've used it on the Camino in every season except winter. 40L would be too big for me I think, except this year I considered a new pack and was surprised at how different volumes seemed to be different sizes depending on the maker. My pack is a top loader which I prefer, so is more compact.

One thing to consider is will it fit the carry on specs for your airline?

I'm again highly recommending people carry on their pack when they fly.

One of my pilgrims is stuck in Madrid now because he checked his pack from Portland and it has not arrived.

It happens more than you'd like to think.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A 40l backpack is plenty for a camino during the warmish season, the trick is in compressing things like clothes and sleeping bag ;-) Volume doesn't always equal weight, also they can be related. Buen Camino, SY

PS IMPORTANT The best backpack is the one that is the bag that is comfortable to your back, anything else is secondary ...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.