• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5/4 pace (solo) in November

Cory Taliaferro

Time of past OR future Camino
(November 2017)
Greetings, fellow pilgrim(s)!

I’m planning to walk the English Way over Thanksgiving this year and have some questions, so I thought that here would be a good place to start asking.

I’ll be travelling solo and plan on covering the distance in 4 instead five days. Both variables could pose some unique logistical issues and so I’ll probably have to plan somewhat differently than most pilgrims. Some of my questions are of a general nature (overall safety, should I check in with the Embassy in Madrid, alburque vs. hostel, etc.) and some of them have to do more with the specifics of my itinerary like, “Is it really safe to walk through foreign (if stable) countryside alone where I speak neither local language?” I’ve also had yet to see another itinerary moving a 5/4 pace and wonder if there reasons other than fatigue as to why I haven’t.

In any event, I’ll appreciate any feedback that you’re able to provide me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think you need to contact the embassy in Madrid. There will be closures after October 31, but accommodations are sparse enough on the Camino Ingles that you probably won't notice. You may be alone! You probably will not find anyone who speaks English, so you will need to rely on a smile and hand gestures. Buen camino!

If you do not speak any Spanish, I recommend obtaining the CD ROM version of the Berlitz Spanish guide. This is the small phrase book with an accompanying CD. You can 'rip' the CD to your music library, then copy it to your smart phone, for on-the-spot practice.

There are various written guides for Camino related phrases available in the Resource section of this forum. You should find an download and / or print them. But the Berlitz CD "course" will help you with pronunciation.

The CD course will give you adequate 'survival' Spanish for your time in Spain when you are not actively on the Camino. Plus, it is simply good form to be able to speak at least a little of the language of whatever foreign country you visit. I consider it a basic courtesy.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with @t2andreo above about learning a few of the basics before heading out. If you plan to have phone service, you can also download the Google Translate app. It has an audio function that allows you to type in English, it will translate to Spanish and can play it aloud. Conversely, it can record and translate from Spanish to English for you. Very slick.

As for safety, I've walked through Galicia as a solo woman at various times over some 15 days and felt perfectly safe. I do speak Spanish, so didn't have that worry of being unable to communicate.

The only issue with your itinerary is plotting out where you plan to sleep. Johnny Walker's guide (available via Kindle) is a great resource, and there are many online maps as well. If you are physically able to walk some long stages, it's just a matter of planning out where to overnight.

https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-you...o-santiago/routes-in-spain/the-camino-ingles/

I like both Gronze and Eroski Consumer's maps (open with Google Chrome for automatic translation):
https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/ingles/

Here's a 4 day itinerary:
http://douglasajohnson.com/caminoingles.htm

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back