• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 backpacking lessons we can learn from the Military

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
The US military has extensively studied carrying heavy loads, long distances, by foot and there are some lessons that backpackers and hikers can learn from their experiences. From BACKPACKER magazine I offer up this article because I think there are some very pertenant points:

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/be...y-rucking-rules-every-backpacker-should-know/

A version of this post originally appeared on the Mountain Athlete training center blog.

“Rucking” is the military term for hiking under load. As you can imagine, this is a huge issue for the military, as soldiers must wear body armor and carry weapons, ammo, water, communications equipment, and other gear as they conduct patrols and missions. Rucking performance and injury prevention are hugely important for military operations and personnel.

Movement over ground under load is also key for many mountain sports, from dayhiking to backpacking to big mountain alpinism. In reviewing the research the military has already done on this subject, we discovered five rules that are just as applicable to mountain sports as they are to combat operations. Read on to make sure you’re following these military rucking rules on your next backcountry adventure.

1. One pound on your feet equals five pounds on your back.
This old backpacking thumb rule holds true, according to a 1984 study from the U.S. Army Research Institute. They tested how much more energy was expended with different footwear (boots and shoes) and concluded that it take 4.7 to 6.4 times as much energy to move at a given pace when weight is carried on the shoe versus on the torso.

In practical terms, this means you could carry half a gallon more of water (a little over 4 pounds) if you buy boots that are a pound lighter, which isn’t hard to do; and that’s a lot of water. Now imagine the energy savings of backpacking in light trail running shoes rather than heavy, leather backpacking boots over the course of 7-day backpacking trip.

2. One pound on your feet equals 5% more energy expended.
Heavier footwear doesn’t just affect you because of its weight. Heavier boots are stiffer and less responsive as well. This reduces the efficiency of your body’s stretch reflex on hitting the ground.

Five percent doesn’t sound like much, though, so how does 5% translate to run times? Well, 5% would slow your mile pace time down by 30 seconds, depending on how long you’re running. But, the faster you attempt to run, the more that 5% will affect your performance.

3. Every 1% of your body weight in your pack makes you six seconds slower per mile.
Carrying weight in your pack isn’t free of cost, though. Each 1% of your body weight carried in your pack makes you 6 seconds slower per mile. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, each 1.5 pounds of weight in your pack slows you by 6 seconds per mile. For a 150-pound hiker, on an extended trip, cutting your pack weight down from 40 to 30 pounds saves you 40 seconds per mile.

4. A 10% grade incline cuts your speed in half.
Grade greatly affects speed. By “grade” we mean how much terrain incline or decline there is. At 10% grade, for example, for every 10 feet you travel forward, you’ll travel 1 foot up. In terms of angles, 10% equals 5.74 degrees. A 5.74 degree angle doesn’t seem like much until you’re humping up it mile after mile. You’ll know how hard it is because you’ll move twice as slowly over it than over flat ground with a given load.

That last little part—with a given load—is important. A 10% grade will cut your speed in half no matter if you’re carrying 45 lbs. or 80 lbs.

5. Going up slows you down twice as much as going down speeds you up.
Don’t believe you’ll make time up on the other side of the hill. You won’t. You’ll only make half the time up.

Why don’t you gain as much by running downhill as you lose running up? Braking forces. As you descend, you have to brake your speed with your quads to keep yourself under control. The steeper the downhill, the more braking. This added load on your muscles further affects your uphill performance if you have repeated bouts of up and down work.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Useful tips. I like the presented philosophy in general and two advices in particular:

Step 10
Pack knowledge

The more you know, the less you can carry. “I pack two lighters and matches—that’s it,” says Daniel about his survival gear for short trips. His first-aid kit? Prevention, as in—he stops every four miles to air out his feet and avoid blisters. Our pick: caution and improvisation, like making your bandanna a bandage.

and

Hike all day
When not saddled by a heavy pack, the journey is the destination. Clelland hikes from dawn ’til dusk, with lots of stops for streamside meals, coffee, even naps. Bonus? At camp, you won’t miss the little luxuries you left behind. “I simply lay down and fall right asleep.”

Thanks for sharing!

One definitely does not want to approach walking the Camino Frances as a backpacking trip. It's really not. Unless you plan on sleeping outside every night, it's just a walk. In backpacking, as in humping a ruck in the military, you are basically carrying your house on your back. Your food, your water, your bed, and in the case of the military, weapons and ammo, radio, etc.
Walking the Camino you are basically hauling around some water and snacks, a change of clothes, some toiletries, maybe a sleeping bag or liner and that's it. You are walking from house to house for the night. That's it. For a summertime Camino Frances if your pack weighs more than 10 kilos, you got too much stuff.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tried the link and ...nothing? has it worked for everyone else?
Worked for me, but if you just click on the: "Click to expand..." part that I quoted it will give you the entire story.

One definitely does not want to approach walking the Camino Frances as a backpacking trip. It's really not. Unless you plan on sleeping outside every night, it's just a walk. In backpacking, as in humping a ruck in the military, you are basically carrying your house on your back. Your food, your water, your bed, and in the case of the military, weapons and ammo, radio, etc.
Walking the Camino you are basically hauling around some water and snacks, a change of clothes, some toiletries, maybe a sleeping bag or liner and that's it. You are walking from house to house for the night. That's it. For a summertime Camino Frances if your pack weighs more than 10 kilos, you got too much stuff.
The Camino, like many other walks/hikes in Europe, is really a long series of "day hiking" but that does not dismiss many of the points in the article.

For example the point about the weight on your feet translating into a multiple of that on your back. You point out that 22# on your back is too much in the summer time, but you neglect to point out that wearing heavy hiking shoes or boots can be like adding the equivalent of 5# (approx 2.3kg) on your back.

Further, it points out that more weight on your feet translates into more energy expended. It is actually easier to carry 1 extra kilogram on your back (2.2 pounds) than it is to wear a pair of shoes that weigh only 0.23kg (about 8 ounces) more than another pair. Which is one reason why I have so frequently advocated lightweight hiking boots/shoes.

The article also talks about energy/speed on ascents/descents that very much apply to the Camino and other similar walks.

So I guess I would not dismiss the logic present so quickly.

Last edited:
In 2013, I walked the Frances with a retired US Marine colonel. He showed me a tip they teach marines in training for ascending hills with a heavy rucksack. Consider that soldiers and marines from around the world customary carry 25 - 40 kg, or more, in added weight in the rucksack and assorted military gear they must necessarily carry.

However, this simple technique actually works. Would I steer you wrong?

Here is how it works...As you ascend, "jut" your buttocks out slightly, forming a "shelf" at the base of your lumbar spinal region. This provide a slight ledge for the bottom of the pack to rest on as you climb. it functions like having a third hand holding the bottom of the rucksack up. Better yet, it does not unduly stress your spine.

Yes, I know it sounds odd, and probably looks weird too. But, trust me, it really works! I use it all the time, even when I am not hiking if I have stairs or a hill to climb.

In 2014 and 2015, I showed the technique to other peregrinos. They tried it; and everyone of the dozen or so folks I showed it to commented that, indeed it did make carrying the pack up the hills easier.

I am not a doctor or chiropractor. So, I advise caution in trying this.

It is not for walking all the way to the top of the Napoleon Pass. But for several stretches of the first day, or going up Alto de Perdon, to O'Cebeiro, or on the Portuguese, that nasty stretch that is VERY steep on the third or fourth day out of Porto - I forget the location just now. But if you walked this route, you KNOW what I am talking about. it is more of a climb than a steep hike. But the view from the top was worth it.

I encourage you to at least TRY it. However if you know you have a medical or orthopedic condition that contradicts doing this, for Pete's sake DO NOT Try it without first seeking medical advice.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One definitely does not want to approach walking the Camino Frances as a backpacking trip. It's really not. For a summertime Camino Frances if your pack weighs more than 10 kilos, you got too much stuff.

I agree totally for the Frances , but many of the trails on the greater network can be backpacking trips. I recently a couple of older French pelerins on the Vezelay route who told me the most liberating decision they had made was to bring a tent. The distances between places to stay can be long, it can be hard to find out if there is anything available, and with a tent one doesn't have to worry. I met another couple who had to eat bread for three days, because they went through a stretch where everything was closed, or closed up for good.

That said, I'd take my backpacking lessons from people who do it for fun, rather than the military!

In 2013, I walked the Frances with a retired US Marine colonel. He showed me a tip they teach marines in training for ascending hills with a heavy rucksack. Consider that soldiers and marines from around the world customary carry 25 - 40 kg, or more, in added weight in the rucksack and assorted military gear they must necessarily carry.

However, this simple technique actually works. Would I steer you wrong?

Here is how it works...As you ascend, "jut" your buttocks out slightly, forming a "shelf" at the base of your lumbar spinal region. This provide a slight ledge for the bottom of the pack to rest on as you climb. it functions like having a third hand holding the bottom of the rucksack up. Better yet, it does not unduly stress your spine.

Yes, I know it sounds odd, and probably looks weird too. But, trust me, it really works! I use it all the time, even when I am not hiking if I have stairs of a hill to climb.

In 2014 and 2015, I showed the technique to other peregrinos. They tried it; and everyone of the dozen or so folks I showed it to commented that, indeed it did make carry the pack up the hills easier.

I am not a doctor or chiropractor. So, I advise caution in trying this.

It is not for walking all the way to the top of the Napoleon Pass. But for several stretches of the first day, or going up Alto de Perdon, to O'Cebeiro, or on the Portuguese, that nasty stretch that is VERY steep on the third or fourth day out of Porto - I forget the location just now. But if you walked this route, you KNOW what I am talking about. it is more of a climb than a steep hike. But the view from the top was worth it.

I encourage you to at least TRY it. However if you know you have a medical or orthopedic condition that contradicts doing this, for Pete's sake DO NOT Try it without first seeking medical advice.

I hope this helps.
I also remember being told this in the military,that the best way to climb a hill with full pack is lean into the hill as you walk.

It saddens me a little bit to read some of the responses here: Straight off military use to pilgrim use doesn't make much sense - that should go without saying.
This is of course information you need to apply to the conditions on the Camino.

And if you click on the other links about packing light and how to select gear you will find it highly applicable for the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree totally for the Frances , but many of the trails on the greater network can be backpacking trips. I recently a couple of older French pelerins on the Vezelay route who told me the most liberating decision they had made was to bring a tent. The distances between places to stay can be long, it can be hard to find out if there is anything available, and with a tent one doesn't have to worry. I met another couple who had to eat bread for three days, because they went through a stretch where everything was closed, or closed up for good.

That said, I'd take my backpacking lessons from people who do it for fun, rather than the military!
Oh yeah, agreed. I was pretty much using a typical Camino Frances pilgrim as a reference point. No tent or sleeping outdoors involved.

......... that the best way to climb a hill..... is lean into the hill .......
This method was taught to my husband many years ago by a Swiss mountain guide long living and working in the Canadian Rockies. We've used this technique ever since. It just seems easier on the leg muscles, and one can go for hours and hours. I find I use this technique on all hills, whether I'm carrying a pack or not.

Good tips. Many Camino routes do not have the facilities and albergues that the Frances has. On the Portuguese, Norte, Voie litoral and many routes in France there are fewer albergues or cheap places to stay, so many do camp and cook for themselves. Generally the lighter you pack the easier the hike but I also think that the extra weight of a bottle of wine or whatever makes you happy - is SO worth dragging up a mountain when you stop at the end of a long day! For those who cannot carry a rucksack or want to carry a lot - a walking trailer is a good idea. You can pull twice what you can carry - or pulling your rucksack takes only half the energy of carrying it! I use a single-wheel trailer and it worked brilliantly in the Provencal mountains on the via Aurelia, despite incredibly rocky terrain. (yes including bottle of wine, chocolate and a handpresso coffee maker!!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
'that nasty stretch that is VERY steep on the third or fourth day out of Porto - I forget the location just now. But if you walked this route, you KNOW what I am talking about. it is more of a climb than a steep hike. But the view from the top was worth it.[/QUOTE]
T2andreo - that'll be the Portela Grande! that's no place for a bicycle as I can tall you from bitter experience. I can also say that lying on the ground sobbing does not help at all...!

.... the best way to climb a hill ...... is lean into the hill as you walk.
This method was taught to my husband many years ago by a Swiss mountain guide long living and working in the Canadian Rockies. We've used this technique ever since. It just seems easier on the leg muscles, and one can go for hours and hours. I find I use this technique on all hills, whether I'm carrying a pack or not.
I forgot to add ......... Don't Rush it!

The US military has extensively studied carrying heavy loads, long distances, by foot and there are some lessons that backpackers and hikers can learn from their experiences. From BACKPACKER magazine I offer up this article because I think there are some very pertenant points:
What I find just slightly amusing about this is that other than quantifying some aspects of the carriage of heavy loads, the article doesn't reveal anything that we didn't already know, sometimes as long ago as the 1890s when William Naismith postulated a rule of thumb for estimating hiking times in what is now known as Naismith's rule in 1892. The US Army and British Army research from the 1980s might have quantified the calculations in a more robust and scientific manner, but the ideas they were based on has clearly been well understood, and early quantification attempted over 70 years earlier, now well over a century ago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I appreciate the tips. I don't like boots, so the tips about lightweight trail shoes is very helpful!

What I find just slightly amusing about this is that other than quantifying some aspects of the carriage of heavy loads, the article doesn't reveal anything that we didn't already know . . .
Doug I agree that the collective wisdom has been known for a long time but I posted this because it appears that many who come new to this forum are new to walking/hiking.

Many here clearly are new to backpacks and don't understand that the weight of a pack is to rest on the hips rather than the shoulders. They have no idea how a pack's suspension system actually works to transfer weight. Equipment questions are repeated over and over again.

My thought, therefore, was to post up an article that provided information to the newere hikers/walkers. Yes, experienced foot travelers may know all this and yes, its true there are no new revelations, but that said I believe it is a very helpful article for folks looking into doing their first long distance walk (longer than from the remote parking areas of a lot into the shopping mall.);)

My thought, therefore, was to post up an article that provided information to the newere hikers/walkers.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great reminder that there is some science behind some of the rules of thumb that float around here on the forum.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back