• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 day walk on Le Puy route to St Jean PDP

sfoley

Hi,
I have a time to do a 5 day walk next week to St Jean PDP before walking on the Camino Frances in Spain. Would anyone have any recommendations for 5 stages to arrive in St Jean PDP and if i can get a map of the route stages off the internet and accomadation, would i need to book in advance(my french is poor).

regards,
sfoley

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I looked up my stages for the last five days before SJPP and they were: -Uzan -Cambarrat -Navarrenx - Aroue -Ostabat -SJPP.

I think it is a great idea to start for a few days on this route, but the tricky bit might actually be to get to your chosen starting point, as a lot of this landscape is very rural, and public transport is thin on the ground. Uzan for instance is a very rural little village.
I walked through here in May when it was pretty much necessary to book, but May is apparently one of the busiest months. (We happened to 'coincide' with a large group from Aire sur l'Adour to SJPP, which meant we had to stay a few places we might not otherwise have chosen.)

On the Miam Miam Dodo site you can see a Map. http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html Click on the rectangles for Arzacq and Arthez-de-Béarn to get closer to where you want to go. This map only leads you to advertised accommodation though: there is more on the actual route. You can see a list of more accommodation here: http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.03.Puy_gites.htm Look to the end to see PYRENEES ATLANTIQUES (64)

There is an e-mail address given for the Arzacq Tourist Office: http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/InformationArzacq.html Quite often someone will be able to reply in English at tourist offices, but not always. They might be able to advise on public transport for the area.
Margaret

Thanks for the information KiwiNomad06. I think maybe i will try this option next year when i have more time to prepare. I will do a few stages from Roncesvalles instead.

regards,
sfoley

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have done what you wanted too, but I walked four days to SJPP. Then you have no problems with the tranport. I took the train which goes from Bayonne to Pau. Take this train to the town Orthez. A taxi brought me a few kilometers to the small village called Argagnon. There the Le Puy - SJPP - route cross the main road. So I just went out of the taxi and started my walk which ended in santiago. I wantede to do it that way, because I did not want to start by crossing the Pyrenees. It was some nice starting days. Recomended.

bjorgts said:
I have done what you wanted too, but I walked four days to SJPP. Then you have no problems with the tranport. I took the train which goes from Bayonne to Pau. Take this train to the town Orthez. A taxi brought me a few kilometers to the small village called Argangnon. There the Le Puy - SJPP - route cross the main road. So I just went out of the taxi and started my walk which ended in santiago. I wantede to do it that way, because I did not want to start by crossing the Pyrenees. It was some nice starting days. Recomended.

Great plan, bjorts! I see from my map that Argangnon is very close to Cambarrat, which was one of my favourite gites on the Le Puy route....
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back