• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 days on the Norte

Jane Hughes

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2019)
We are two friends who want to walk for 5 days from Bilbao on the Norte. I have now heard it isn't the nicest walk and it goes along roads with no pretty scenery. Suggestions please for a five day walk. We could take a bus and start somewhere else. My friend is very fit but i have arthritis and can struggle with hills. Is the Norte a bad idea altogether?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are two friends who want to walk for 5 days from Bilbao on the Norte. I have now heard it isn't the nicest walk and it goes along roads with no pretty scenery. Suggestions please for a five day walk. We could take a bus and start somewhere else. My friend is very fit but i have arthritis and can struggle with hills. Is the Norte a bad idea altogether?
Hello Camino friends. Myself and 5 friends walked from San Sebastián to Bilbao a couple of years ago and the scenery was stunning. So perhaps you could go the other was around. If I remember (my friend organised the stops etc ) we hiked for two days, then got a train, for a couple of stops I think. Then hiked again for two days. Getting the train was to make it a little easier, as that part was very hilly, for one other who wasn't so fit. I hope that is helpful. Best of luck from Sue xx

Hi Jane, I completely disagree with whoever told you that there is no pretty scenery, Allowing for the fact that beauty is always "in the eye of the beholder", in my opinion the Norte offers some of the most striking scenery that I have seen in 9 years of walking Caminos (Frances, Portugues, Primitivo and 1st half of the Norte).
There is undoubtedly a percentage of road walking, but you get that with every Camino. There are very definitely lots of hills in some sections and fewer and smaller in others. My experience last year was coloured by being made redundant just before leaving for Spain and the negative impact on my fitness, morale, etc., but I really enjoyed it, despite slipping and badly bruising my coccyx.
I think that you are going to start from Bilbao you will have the hardest hills behind you. Have a detailed search through the various threads on here and you will find oodles of information to let you plan out a trip that maximises off-road walking.
My wife and I have our plans set and fly from Dublin to Santander on August 28th ready to walk from Ribadesella to Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.