• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 days on the Ruta do Mar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo April 24
I just finished five days on the “Camino do Mar.”

Thought I’d share some thoughts on my experiences.

First, stages and distances:

Stage 1: Ribadeo to Praia das Catedrais, 17.8k

Stage 2: Praia das catedrais to Foz, 21.8

Stage 3: Foz to San Cibrao,
32.8 (I took a train from Burela to San Cibrao to shorten the stage)

Stage 4: San Cibrao to Viviero, 29.7 ( Almost 10 hours of walking)

Stage 5: Viviero to O Vicedo, 21.9 (Seemed a lot longer)

(From O Vicedo I was planning to take the train to Ferrol, but when the train broke down in Ribadeo and didn’t show up, Renfe sent a taxi to take me and a few other people to our destination. How’s that for service!? Over an hour away, no extra charge. Yay Renfe!)

That’s all I had time to do right now. The route goes and on and there are lots of alternatives, of course.

I didn’t see another pilgrim but there were hikers occasionally. Mostly I was alone. Glorious scenery and some long days. And lots of up and down. Whew! But if you’re looking for a solitary camino with lots of views, I highly recommend this one!

I used the Cicerone guide to Camino Ingles and Ruta do Mar, the kindle version. The tracks they make available on their website are invaluable. I downloaded the tracks to maps dot me and used that all the way through, checking at every intersection. There were times when the suggested tracks took an unnecessarily difficult alternative, in my opinion, but they were mostly spot on. I was basically following the Ruta del Cantábrico, which is signed but not enough. I would have been lost many times without the tracks on my phone. The cicerone guide gives alternatives and suggested routes. I sometimes took their suggestions and sometimes not.

I stayed in private rooms, but they were reasonably priced and all very nice. There are a couple of albergues along the route but both cancelled my reservation, saying they had closed for the season.

So, in the end, there wasn’t much “camino” about this camino, if you know what I mean. But it was a lovely walk. I enjoyed the beauty and the solitude more than I can say.

I’m starting the Camino Ingles tomorrow. Albergues and pilgrims. Oh my. Or maybe I’ll take the train back to Ribadeo! 😉

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions, let me know.

Cat

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed in private rooms, but they were reasonably priced and all very nice. There are a couple of albergues along the route but both cancelled my reservation, saying they had closed for the season.
Cat
Curious as to what you consider "reasonably priced". Last July I walked a while on the Norte with a Basque woman who continued on the Ruta do Mar after Ribadeo. I kept in contact with her via WhatsApp but she stopped after a couple of days as she could not find any reasonably priced accommodations. On the Norte we stayed in shared rooms albergues.

Curious as to what you consider "reasonably priced". Last July I walked a while on the Norte with a Basque woman who continued on the Ruta do Mar after Ribadeo. I kept in contact with her via WhatsApp but she stopped after a couple of days as she could not find any reasonably priced accommodations. On the Norte we stayed in shared rooms albergues.
I paid from 22-40 euros each night. Most rooms were big enough for two, with a private bath, sheets, blankets, towels, shampoo, wifi, and a tv ( if you’re into Spanish tv). That seems reasonable to me. Albergues are obviously cheaper but there just weren’t any. I booked everything before I left home.

Tonight I’m paying 15e for a bed in a nice, new albergue on the Camino Ingles. Very nice and, of course, cheaper.

I paid from 22-40 euros each night. Most rooms were big enough for two, with a private bath, sheets, blankets, towels, shampoo, wifi, and a tv ( if you’re into Spanish tv). That seems reasonable to me. Albergues are obviously cheaper but there just weren’t any. I booked everything before I left home.

Tonight I’m paying 15e for a bed in a nice, new albergue on the Camino Ingles. Very nice and, of course, cheaper.
Ok. €20 would be doable, €40 not every night (for me) but reasonable for what offered.

Prices might be lower now compared to July. Availability too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi Cat! Think that you are well! Could share with us your private accomodations, please? Wish Make routa do mar on May 2023. Thank you!

Hi Dan, I’m traveling now so don’t have access to my computer. But below is a screen shot of the places I stayed. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• CAF004FC-5949-48F1-9814-58F920FFD918.png
    CAF004FC-5949-48F1-9814-58F920FFD918.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi Cat! Think that you are well! Could share with us your private accomodations, please? Wish Make routa do mar on May 2023. Thank you!
Dan, looking to walk same route June/July 2023. Please pass along any info you might find!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.