• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 weeks for walking but where?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I'll have vacation between July 16 and August 22 and want to spend most of that time on the camino. I want to walk VdlP but I read everywhere that July/August is very hot and I have to carry a lot of water, so I think I save that for an autumn vacation in the future.

Then I was thinking of Norte but it might be expensive and crowded over the vacation period and a lot of asphalt? So if not Norte where to go. With my average speed and daily distances I will be able to walk 800-1100 km during that time. I prefer to end in Santiago and if possible not walk where I have already been (some short stages over a couple of days are ok). I prefer solitude but as I walk alone i want quite good markings and places to stay.

Any recommendations or should I aim for Norte?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Norte sounds like a good plan Beatrice, especially if you want to end in Santiago and avoid routes that you've walked before. I don't know how many days are spent on the more expensive stages, but I'm sure others will chime in on that point. Your impressive walking pace might give you a natural advantage over the rest of us - you won't need so many stopovers!

If you don't bother to stay in accommodation other than albergues, the Camino Olvidado (out of Bilbao) could be an option to consider. For info about it, read the reports of peregrina2000 on the Camino Olvidado area of the forum and take a look at that area of the forum for other info too. The web www.elcaminoolvidado.com can be useful too. The Camino Olvidado ends in Columbrianos (next to Ponferrada) from where you can backtrack to Ponferrada (the walk is several kms long but urban). From Ponferrada, you can continue on the Camino de Invierno (plenty of info on the forum about it) till A Laxe where it joins the Sanabrés to reach Santiago de Compostela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Beatrice
If you do the Norte there are stacks of places where you can take a break for a dip to cool off and there is a variety of trail. You'll walk on beaches too. My memory has wiped a lot of the 'tarmac' I walked on ? Was there that much.?
A lovely way.

However , Castilian's idea just above looks awesome ! I like the sound of it.

Buen Camino.
Annie

I'll have vacation between July 16 and August 22 and want to spend most of that time on the camino. I want to walk VdlP but I read everywhere that July/August is very hot and I have to carry a lot of water, so I think I save that for an autumn vacation in the future.

Then I was thinking of Norte but it might be expensive and crowded over the vacation period and a lot of asphalt? So if not Norte where to go. With my average speed and daily distances I will be able to walk 800-1100 km during that time. I prefer to end in Santiago and if possible not walk where I have already been (some short stages over a couple of days are ok). I prefer solitude but as I walk alone i want quite good markings and places to stay.

Beatrice:

The Norte is a great walk, maybe my favorite. You could consider Madrid (quiet), Frances (busy), Invierno (quiet).

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be a great walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Torres del Paine W and Circuit is said to be nice this time of year.

The Dientes Circuit is good.

Bibbulman track.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beatrice:

The Norte is a great walk, maybe my favorite. You could consider Madrid (quiet), Frances (busy), Invierno (quiet).

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be a great walk.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks for your input. I walked Francés in 2013, read this about Madrid "July to early September is extremely hot and long stretches of the route have absolutely no shade. ". Invierno is an option but a little bit to short about a week a week and a half for walking.

Last edited:
Hi Beatrice
If you do the Norte there are stacks of places where you can take a break for a dip to cool off and there is a variety of trail. You'll walk on beaches too. My memory has wiped a lot of the 'tarmac' I walked on ? Was there that much.?
A lovely way.

However , Castilian's idea just above looks awesome ! I like the sound of it.

Buen Camino.
Annie
If you don't even remember the tarmac it might not be as much as some say :) Variety of trail sounds lovely, taking a dip not so much :)
I'll take a look at Castilian's idea as well. I like the albergue part of the camino, walking alone can be very lonesome if you don't even socialize in the evenings.

If you don't bother to stay in accommodation other than albergues, the Camino Olvidado (out of Bilbao) could be an option to consider. For info about it, read the reports of peregrina2000 on the Camino Olvidado area of the forum and take a look at that area of the forum for other info too. The web www.elcaminoolvidado.com can be useful too. The Camino Olvidado ends in Columbrianos (next to Ponferrada) from where you can backtrack to Ponferrada (the walk is several kms long but urban). From Ponferrada, you can continue on the Camino de Invierno (plenty of info on the forum about it) till A Laxe where it joins the Sanabrés to reach Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for the idea, I'll look into it. I do prefer albergues as I walk alone and like the possibility to talk to other human beings than myself. Being on a route with less accommodations might also be a problem if you do longer stages than "recommended" as there might be no sleeping place in between. But I'll have a look.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your input. I walked Francés in 2013, read this about Madrid "July to early September is extremely hot and long stretches of the route have absolutely no shade. ". Invierno is an option but a little bit to short about a weak a weak and a half for walking.

Beatrice:

Probably going to be hot everywhere July-August. The Madrid is a nice (10-14 day) hike. Other than the 3-4 days in the Mountains and pine forests, there is very little shade. That said, there are some nice stops along the route. Frances, Sahagun to Ponferrada (5-6 days), is a nice section including the mountains from Herrarias to Molinaseca. Then the Invierno from Ponferrada (10 days). I was trying to put together something to match your time frame.

If you are looking for something more non Camino, take a look at the GR 11. Shefollowsshells posted a link.

Or just walk the Norte. I walked it in 29 days, so it will only take you about 24.

The VdlP will be really hot.

You could also do a Vasco ( Irun to Burgos ). The Frances Burgos to Ponferrada and then the Invierno.

Ultreya,
Joe

Beatrice:

Probably going to be hot everywhere July-August. The Madrid is a nice (10-14 day) hike. Other than the 3-4 days in the Mountains and pine forests, there is very little shade. That said, there are some nice stops along the route. Frances, Sahagun to Ponferrada (5-6 days), is a nice section including the mountains from Herrarias to Molinaseca. Then the Invierno from Ponferrada (10 days). I was trying to put together something to match your time frame.

If you are looking for something more non Camino, take a look at the GR 11. Shefollowsshells posted a link.

Or just walk the Norte. I walked it in 29 days, so it will only take you about 24.

The VdlP will be really hot.

You could also do a Vasco ( Irun to Burgos ). The Frances Burgos to Ponferrada and then the Invierno.

Ultreya,
Joe
I appreciate your suggestions. I think Francés in this period will be a bed race so I'm not so interested to spend 5-6 days there again even thou Sahagun to Ponferrada was nice. When I came from Primitivo onto the Francés 2 years ago it was an unpleasant experience for 2 days. I know I have to re experience that on the Norte as well coming to Azura but that will be a day of walking so I hope I can zone in on my own walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aha..I would suggest the Norte then, moving down to Santiago via the Ingles. You will escape the busy Frances then.

Aha..I would suggest the Norte then, moving down to Santiago via the Ingles. You will escape the busy Frances then.
So how to get of Norte and end up on the Ingles. You know me no busses, train, taxi allowed before reaching Santiago. Transportation is for getting to a starting point :) But if there is a route I can walk that sounds nice even if I have walked Inglés from Ferrol before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So how to get of Norte and end up on the Ingles. You know me no busses, train, taxi allowed before reaching Santiago. Transportation is for getting to a starting point :) But if there is a route I can walk that sounds nice even if I have walked Inglés from Ferrol before.

Magwood on this forum walked it recently. Check out her blog here https://magwood.me/el-norte-ingles. It's very detailed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So how to get of Norte and end up on the Ingles.

Magwood on this forum walked it recently. Check out her blog here https://magwood.me/el-norte-ingles. It's very detailed.

Magwood's info would be the most updated but if you want to look for some extra info, you can take a look at the Ruta do Mar area of this forum.

I know I have to re experience that on the Norte as well coming to Azura but that will be a day of walking so I hope I can zone in on my own walk.

There's a variant of the Norte that meets the Francés not in Arzúa but in Santa Irene (roughly 23 kms away from Santiago). As you are fine walking long stages, you may be able to walk in a single day the roughly 43 kms from Boimorto (on the Norte) to Santiago de Compostela via the Santa Irene variant.

Edited by Castilian to correct a typo. It isn't the Santa Elena variant but the Santa Irene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magwood's info would be the most updated but if you want to look for some extra info, you can take a look at the Ruta do Mar area of this forum.

There's a variant of the Norte that meets the Francés not in Arzúa but in Santa Elena (roughly 23 kms away from Santiago). As you are fine walking long stages, you may be able to walk in a single day the roughly 43 kms from Boimorto (on the Norte) to Santiago de Compostela via the Santa Elena variant.
Thanks for the details. I'll look it up. have no problem with long stages :)

Walk Camino Portugues from Lisbon and then Camino Primitivo.
Perfext for you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How about starting in Montserrat and taking the Northern route that connects with the Camino Aragones, you would have about 450 km of the Frances from Puente La Reina before you could switch to the Camino Invierno. The Eroski website keeps good maps and profiles for the sections from the start in Catalonia You would have 450 km of quiet routes and albergues, a little craziness for 450 km, then about 200 km of tranquility before you hit the Sanbres about 80 km from Santiago. You have experience of the Frances, so you know what's it like but also that experience can help you to keep focussed.

Last edited:
Just to say why I didn't mention the Norte, I like it and maybe will walk it again someday but it is packed at the end of July and in August. The albergues have double or triple the amount of pilgrims than there is beds, so it turns into a bed race, and the other accommodation is completo or charging top dollar to stay because it is the vacation season. So the albergues are full, other accommodation is expensive, the beaches are full and the roads( and there is a bit) are way more busy than usual.

I
Perfext for you!
walked CP from Lisbon last summer a short walk in 16 days. Did Primitivo 2014 (8 days) so If I repeat that I can even probably fit in Iglés and Fisterra Muxía as well ;-) But done them all. Looking for new experiences before going back to old.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about starting in Montserrat and taking the Northern route that connects with the Camino Aragones, you would have about 450 km of the Frances from Puente La Reina before you could switch to the Camino Invierno. The Eroski website keeps good maps and profiles for the sections from the start in Catalonia You would have 450 km of quiet routes and albergues, a little craziness for 450 km, then about 200 km of tranquility before you hit the Sanbres about 80 km from Santiago. You have experience of the Frances, so you know what's it like but also that experience can help you to keep focussed.
No I will not do 450 on CF in high season a holy year. I need more of serenity. I really went crazy on CF last 2 days 2 years ago.

Just to say why I didn't mention the Norte, I like it and maybe will walk it again someday but it is packed at the end of July and in August. The albergues have double or triple the amount of pilgrims than there is beds, so it turns into a bed race, and the other accommodation is completo or charging top dollar to stay because it is the vacation season. So the albergues are full, other accommodation is expensive, the beaches are full and the roads( and there is a bit) are way more busy than usual.
Just now I just get the feeling of skipping the whole thing. Rent my self a cabin in the woods and read for 5 weeks.

But how true are people to normal stages on Norte? I usually walk longer stages than most so I tend to end up in between I for once don't want to stop in large cities. I just pass them.

Not sure you get the stage walking on the Norte like you do the Frances, people tend to work out which distance is best for them and head to the nearest albergue to that, so there isn't really inbetween places.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perfext for you!
I'm considering CP interior and then fly home and do some walking in the mountains. Need to find some good guide or so first. I'm not brave enough to just walk and trust the arrows and that the Camino will provide a sleeping place when needed.

Not sure you get the stage walking on the Norte like you do the Frances, people tend to work out which distance is best for them and head to the nearest albergue to that, so there isn't really inbetween places.
Thanks for answering. I just hoped. That is what happens when there is no JB guide, people thinks for them self.

Try something different-- The Via Podiensis.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....or the European Peace Walk?

Try something different-- The Via Podiensis.

It's an alternative but I read everywhere that it is almost mandatory to book ahead for the night. I don't like to plan where to stay. I prefer to walk to my body says stop.

And much harder to find food (grocery shops) along the way. Is that your experience as well?

I'm gluten and lactose intolerant ans allergic to mushrooms and can't eat a lot of common stuff served as breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner. I had to turn down community meals on Francés because it was pasta. I can't just grab a yoghurt for breakfast to often (I usually carry some pills to be able to do it when absolutely necessary).

It's an alternative but I read everywhere that it is almost mandatory to book ahead for the night. I don't like to plan where to stay. I prefer to walk to my body says stop.

And much harder to find food (grocery shops) along the way. Is that your experience as well?

I'm gluten and lactose intolerant ans allergic to mushrooms and can't eat a lot of common stuff served as breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner. I had to turn down community meals on Francés because it was pasta. I can't just grab a yoghurt for breakfast to often (I usually carry some pills to be able to do it when absolutely necessary).

Hi Beatrice, I walked the Via Podiensis (or Le Puy route) in peak walking season (May), and never booked ahead. There are grocery shops in all the towns; usually not in the villages. The shops are usually closed on Sundays, sometimes Mondays, and all public holidays. Also, every town has one day of the week when they close at midday, so you do need to carry at least one day’s food supply with you at all times, just in case. I am vegetarian, and found I wasn’t getting value for money when it came to demi-pension (i.e. dinner, bed and breakfast), so I quickly stopped doing that. My dinners became a balance of eating out in restaurants when in towns, or something simple like cheese, biscuits and fruit (which I carried with me) when there was nowhere nearby to eat out. Jill

Hi Beatrice, I walked the Via Podiensis (or Le Puy route) in peak walking season (May), and never booked ahead. There are grocery shops in all the towns; usually not in the villages. The shops are usually closed on Sundays, sometimes Mondays, and all public holidays. Also, every town has one day of the week when they close at midday, so you do need to carry at least one day’s food supply with you at all times, just in case. I am vegetarian, and found I wasn’t getting value for money when it came to demi-pension (i.e. dinner, bed and breakfast), so I quickly stopped doing that. My dinners became a balance of eating out in restaurants when in towns, or something simple like cheese, biscuits and fruit (which I carried with me) when there was nowhere nearby to eat out. Jill
Cheese and biscuits without lactose and gluten is hard to find. I have done stretches on different caminos living on fruits but that is not a really good options when you prefer to do 35-40 km/day. Doing more or less a whole camino that way need some more planning and bringing food from home I think. I also suffer from severe anemia on and off and need to at least have energy in the body to stand up. My values are on their way down (hope to get an iron shot before leaving) but carrying a lot of food with me is putting a lot of weight in the backpack making me quite tired. I have no idea of how it will be on the norte either regarding food and is currently investigating it. It was quite easy in the Francés, a hard time on Primitivo on some days and I had problem finding gluten free stuff on Camino Portuguese as well. But I'm glad to hear that the book ahead advice might be a myth :)

Never read that booking ahead was an issue on Via Podensis but a sporadic possibility, which is true for most Caminos. I have done road trips on the area, still to do walking in that region, on the retirement wish list. You do have quite a bit of food- related must haves so maybe you need to establish first which area could meet your food intake requirements and then plan around it instead of the other way around. Also perhaps need to be a bit more upfront about all the requirements you have for a route and be routes you have rule out when asking for route advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Never read that booking ahead was an issue on Via Podensis but a sporadic possibility, which is true for most Caminos. I have done road trips on the area, still to do walking in that region, on the retirement wish list. You do have quite a bit of food- related must haves so maybe you need to establish first which area could meet your food intake requirements and then plan around it instead of the other way around. Also perhaps need to be a bit more upfront about all the requirements you have for a route and be routes you have rule out when asking for route advice.
I didn't say Via Podensis will be ruled out just stating that it might be a problem for me and asked some more questions to get info. The Via Podensis did't meet the wish I had in the first place, ending in Santiago. So if you require a list of requirements in my first post you might keep your suggestions to what is asked for ;-) I'm thankful for suggestions and just need to narrow them down to things that will actually work for me this summer. Next time I will write my life story to cover all ifs and buts :)

Hello Beatrice

I did a few days on the Norte last year and really loved the route with the scenery, beaches, etc. Unfortunately my partner last year couldn't walk and I cut the trip short. I plan on returning again mid September and walk. I stayed in albergues and will again. There were plenty of places to stay along the way too.
Orford Girl

Hello Beatrice

I did a few days on the Norte last year and really loved the route with the scenery, beaches, etc. Unfortunately my partner last year couldn't walk and I cut the trip short. I plan on returning again mid September and walk. I stayed in albergues and will again. There were plenty of places to stay along the way too.
Orford Girl
That sound great, when were you there last year?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.