• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5 years of waiting, finally.

Time of past OR future Camino
17 August 2017 - Leon to Santiago
Hello all! My first post, but long time lurker of these forums. I want to say how much I appreciate all the useful info here, it has made my planning much easier! With that said, just a quick question/inquiry.

I am starting my journey in Leon on August 18th. I am flying into OVD and taking the bus from there to Leon on the 17th, staying the night in Leon that night and will begin my trek the morning of the 18th. I am filled with mixed emotions. Mostly because I have never been to Spain before and I am doing this "alone", but knowing and hoping I meet many wonderful people along the way.

So, wondering if anyone else will be in Leon on the 18th? I would love to meet up with any of you that might be there the same time as me. Either experienced or first time, would just be nice to join someone on my first day out. If not, I know I will be fine. Let me know!

Buen Camino

Charles

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, wondering if anyone else will be in Leon on the 18th?
With nearly 2,000 arrivals in Santiago yesterday, you probably will have over a thousand "anyone else's" with you! Not all on the Forum, of course. Buen camino. Take it easy; hydrate; take care of your feet; stop early enough that you do not need to wander towns looking for a bed. I prefer the Mazarife alternative after Virgen del Camino, as do many others.

Welcome Charles you will be in good company with others who have never been to Spain and are traveling alone.

Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello all! My first post, but long time lurker of these forums. I want to say how much I appreciate all the useful info here, it has made my planning much easier! With that said, just a quick question/inquiry.

I am starting my journey in Leon on August 18th. I am flying into OVD and taking the bus from there to Leon on the 17th, staying the night in Leon that night and will begin my trek the morning of the 18th. I am filled with mixed emotions. Mostly because I have never been to Spain before and I am doing this "alone", but knowing and hoping I meet many wonderful people along the way.

So, wondering if anyone else will be in Leon on the 18th? I would love to meet up with any of you that might be there the same time as me. Either experienced or first time, would just be nice to join someone on my first day out. If not, I know I will be fine. Let me know!

Buen Camino

Charles
Welcome to the forum, Charles.

You may feel a bit lonely the first night on your own in a big city like León. But that's okay; it is good for one's humility! You can use that time to start getting connected to yourself. In the morning just follow the mochilas out of town, and you will be bound to meet up with others. Have a wonderful Camino. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Charles,
Your user name is fun!
Enjoy it all. If you've booked a private room in León, one piece of advice would be to force yourself to get up early and still start around 7am or 8am the first day out of León. I started out at 9am and didn't see anyone on the trails at all (this was a couple years ago so things may have changed now) - and upon reflection it would've been nice to have had my first day out feel less isolated.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Relax it just a walk. BC and welcome. Open your heart.

I love Leon! In fact, I love it more than Burgos. I love the chocolate and churros shop on the main street. I love the bustle of the city. The flapping of the pigeon's wings...the way the city will lead you first past the cathedral square, and then wind you through the streets. I love the way that you cross streets (look both ways! twice!) and then through a long, long park. I love the way you depart the noise of it all, and just walk, and walk, and walk. Why not savor a wonderful cup of coffee before leaving town, and look around and smile? Make sure to give yourself a pat on the back. You will have made it to Spain, and she is a very lovely lady!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow! Thank you for all the kind responses! I knew there was a reason I finally joined this forum. =) I am really excited to get started. I moved to London from Seattle in September of last year. Since then I have traveled all over Europe (and Asia) for work and pleasure, with the exception of Spain. I was honestly holding off on going there and making my first time be my Camino journey. I work for a very large travel company and travel for my job often. I am going to document this whole journey to share internally here at work. We are encouraged to travel as much as possible and share our experiences with others. I hope by doing this I inspire at least one of my co workers to do the same. Thank you again for all the replies!

Charles

Wow! Thank you for all the kind responses! I knew there was a reason I finally joined this forum. =) I am really excited to get started. I moved to London from Seattle in September of last year. Since then I have traveled all over Europe (and Asia) for work and pleasure, with the exception of Spain. I was honestly holding off on going there and making my first time be my Camino journey. I work for a very large travel company and travel for my job often. I am going to document this whole journey to share internally here at work. We are encouraged to travel as much as possible and share our experiences with others. I hope by doing this I inspire at least one of my co workers to do the same. Thank you again for all the replies!

Charles
Have a great Camino Charles, that's a long wait. Wishing you many fruitful encounters with others and yourself along the Way.

I love Leon! In fact, I love it more than Burgos. I love the chocolate and churros shop on the main street. I love the bustle of the city. The flapping of the pigeon's wings...the way the city will lead you first past the cathedral square, and then wind you through the streets. I love the way that you cross streets (look both ways! twice!) and then through a long, long park. I love the way you depart the noise of it all, and just walk, and walk, and walk. Why not savor a wonderful cup of coffee before leaving town, and look around and smile? Make sure to give yourself a pat on the back. You will have made it to Spain, and she is a very lovely lady!

Is it the Valor one CaminoDebrita?

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/destinos/valor-chocolate_1146019.html

Love them!:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.