• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

56 Page Photographic Diary of my Camino in Sept 12.

ausmarko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012) Camino Portuguese (2013) & the Norte to come (2019)
As an exercise I thought I would put together a book of my photos, mainly for my own benefit to look back on. I have put a preview of the entire book online.
I look forward to Volume 2, the Camino Portuguese, after I walk that Camino in September:)

Ebook also available.

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/442 ... o-santiago

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
WOW WOW WOW
Love it!
Do you mind me asking how you did the sellos? Did you photograph them and then insert? And how about the strip of various sellos at the top of many pages - did you do a big photo of them and then crop it different ways for different pages?
Love the book - will definitely look at using blurb for our next book instead of snapfish.

If you're reading this thread and can't be bothered clicking on the book preview, you'll miss out!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Absolutely AMAZING!!!! I also made myself a little booklet of the Camino Norte (walked it 2012) , but your's is sooo much better! Well done!!! I was on the Camino Frances in 2007 , but it felt if I was walking again, when I saw your book!

Great book Mark well done. Im in the process of doing the same thing so can appreciate the effort and skill you have put into it.

Vasco

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

A bit of fun and in this day and age an easy way to show people what you did for six weeks overseas:) and a good conversation starter....as well as being a nice visual diary. I still like the feel of a good book and have quite a number of coffee table photographic books that I peruse from time to time.

Rachael, I scanned the compostela and then cut out different stamps into separate files in Photoshop and placed on different pages using various transparency effects. I use InDesign which has a master page facility to add page numbering and any repetitive elements automatically to each page. I also use Photoshop, but lots of free image editing programs available, then convert the file to a pdf.

Ross, I have just made a reduced .pdf and uploaded to my ipad and I was not really that fussed about putting one online but I will probably do in the next week or so.

edit.....the ,epub version is now online....edit

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great book CaminoGen. They are a great way to keep a record of your travels and as you said, amazing quality and finish. I might see you on the road to Finisterre as I should be around that way late September finishing the Portuguese walk:)

Great book Mark. I did a book also but didn't add words. Wish I had as makes it that much better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
AWESOME. I love photography.... did photography trip in Cambodia last year with a pro AND am inlove with my photo shots- thousands that I love...

Had thought Camino would be mostly about walking... exploring... people warned about weight... but NOW .. I really must take my camera...

Awesome inspiration Mark and Camingen.... Did you use LR ... where did you order book from ????

My camera allows me to " see" the world through different eyes :)

Cheers
Annie

Hi Mark - lovely work in your book. And very nicely designed.

Can I ask - what gear did you take? And were the photos from just one trip or more? You got beautiful light in so many of the shots.

Well done!

Bill

Bill. Thanks for the compliments. I used a Nikon D800 and the super sharp and beautiful Nikon 24-70 f2.8. I also always use a polariser and a neutral grad filter to bring the harsh sky back closer to the ground light level. It was a bit of a stretch to take a large backpack as well as a 4kg of camera! but Ihad a Lowepro sling bag which sat on my right hip and was very comfortable. For this year's trip to Portugal, i have modified it slightly to have the harness that centres the bag and means the camera is nice and central and easy to access instantly.
As you know, the camera has to be accessible instantly. No use having it in your backpack. I also used the hipstamatic app on my iphone, which I loved. This year I will be taking an iPad mini which has a bigger camera sensor and still small enough to fit in the camera bag, but will have all my documents, books etc also and will be capable of accessing wifi for internet access.
Fantastic invention!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah - the D800. It's not a light camera! But very handy to have all those 36MPs!

And the polariser and NDs. I was wondering if you'd got that look in post, because obviously you're very proficient in photoshop, but it's lovely to get it at capture phase.

That's a nice lens too, the 24-70mm. I have amongst my kit the Nikkor 24mm f1.4, which is a cracker piece of glass, but too heavy to take on the Camino. It's a shame the 24-120mm f4 isn't better optically, because that extra bit of reach would be handy sometimes.

4kg of gear though is a big weight investment, but it paid off for you. The book is terrific. I hope it sells well.

Where are you starting with the Portuguese? In Porto? Or further south?

Bill

Hi Mark

Did you mean that you will take photos with Ipad Mini? I am getting one as well.... maybe I will leave camera at home >>

Annie

Bill. There is also work in Photoshop with some of the skies! A couple of shots I did not have the neutral grads on so easy to enhance the RAW file to pull the sky back. (The beauty of a RAW file)
I am flying into Lisbon and spending a week there, I want to see Sintra and Coimbra before going to Porto, on to the Duoro then start the Camino back in Porto. Looking forward to it and haven't decided yet whether to continue to Finisterre which I didn't do after Santiago last year.
I want to go back and do five days of the Frances - haven't decided which yet - then at least 5 days in Barcelona which I wanted to see last year but ran out of time. Can't wait! Volume 2 coming up:)
(I don't expect to make anything on the book, purely for my benefit as the prices are pretty steep on Blurb). I have uploaded the .pdf version though which is very cheap and looks good on a ipad etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie, yes the iPad mini has a nice little camera in it and download the hipstamatic app for some nice combinations of lenses and films. It is small enough to carry in a small backpack and holds all your documents, travel guides as well as being Wifi accessible for internet browsing at the Albergue.
You could easily just use this as your camera for sure for scenics etc. It might be a problem in low light or people shots indoors as you can't alter ISO and there is no flash of course.

Hi Mark - my wife and I spent some time in Porto and then in all the major towns up to Valenca (Including Barcelos) after walking the Frances in May. Beautiful. You'll have glorious photo ops there.

I'll buy a copy of your book. It looks wonderful. But let me know if you do an iPad version.

Here's my Camino gallery, if you're interested - took a Fuji x10 and was stuck with jpegs. No NEFs, unfortunately!

http://pgstheway.com/2013/05/30/post-ca ... o-gallery/

Bill

Bill, that is very kind, but I can send you a free .pdf copy if you like which can be viewed on any devices. Send me your email and i will forward.
I will upload one to blurb as well but i need to outline the fonts for their system so will have to do that in the next few days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mark - that's very generous of you, thank you!

The email is bill@billbennettfilms.com

You got shots I missed - or didn't see! So it would be wonderful to have a record of it.

Again, thanks!

Bill

Bill, looking through your portfolio. Fantastic.
Really great stuff and a nice site as well. Great eye. Going back for another look:)

ausmarko said:
Bill, looking through your portfolio. Fantastic.
Really great stuff and a nice site as well. Great eye. Going back for another look:)
Thank you - this is a mutual admiration thingy because I've been looking at your book and your shots are fantastic too! You got shots I wish I'd got!

Bill

A lovely book, Mark!

Annie Little, Trish from girlsontheway used an ipad mini as her only camera when she and her daughters walked the Frances last winter/spring. If you look at their blog it gives you a good idea of the strengths and limitations of the mini as a camera:

http://www.girlsontheway.com

A lovely book, Mark!

Annie Little, Trish from girlsontheway used an ipad mini as her only camera when she and her daughters walked the Frances last winter/spring. If you look at their blog it gives you a good idea of the strengths and limitations of the mini as a camera:

http://www.girlsontheway.com
Thanks Pudgy. Back on the forum thinking about another walk:) I will have a look and catch up with other posters blog's from the last few months.

Your book is fabulous. I downloaded the eBook. Interestingly we walked the Camino Frances at the exact same time. I left SJPdP on 12 Sept and arrived in Santiago 11 Oct.
In Sept/Oct 2013 I walked the Camino Norte which was spectacular, but much less crowded. Again the weather was great. Thanks for putting together this wonderful book.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As an exercise I thought I would put together a book of my photos, mainly for my own benefit to look back on. I have put a preview of the entire book online.
I look forward to Volume 2, the Camino Portuguese, after I walk that Camino in September:)

Take a look here.
http://au.blurb.com/my/book/detail/4471043-the-camino-st-jean-to-santiago

Ebook also available.

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/442 ... o-santiago
Fabulous book, Mark. Absolutely breathtaking! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Mary

Great photographs which brought back some good memories.

I agree with all posted opinions above, great pics ! Thanks for posting !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back