• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

57 days - Question - Stretches

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
I live in "The Fens" - hopelessly flat country to train and get fit. Last weekend ventured West and found some hills in Malvern to practice on with a fullish backpack and also try out my pacer poles. Hills max elevation 400 metres. First thing I discovered along steep height climb was my "beating heart!" and that I had to stop fairly frequently to breathe! - so clearly I am definitely not superman. Paths evened out and were less dramatic to climb. Poles were very welcome. Realized I had only brought 500ml of water so that was first learning point! By the end of our 10 mile walk I had had enough but felt pretty good. Second learning point came 2 days later when I felt more tired and my calf muscles felt really tight. Looking back I realized I hadn't stretched much. So after all this preamble my question on 57 days count down to starting Camino is should I and more importantly how should I be stretching? Any advice welcome and/or point me somewhere to see what you mean. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The most important thing is not the stretching but the walking.Get as much walk practice in as you can.through the winter I use a gym treadmill,but now spring is near I will also do one longish walk a week as well,building up to start of Camino.Buen Camino and good luck.

I live in "The Fens" - hopelessly flat country to train and get fit. Last weekend ventured West and found some hills in Malvern to practice on with a fullish backpack and also try out my pacer poles. Hills max elevation 400 metres. First thing I discovered along steep height climb was my "beating heart!" and that I had to stop fairly frequently to breathe! - so clearly I am definitely not superman. Paths evened out and were less dramatic to climb. Poles were very welcome. Realized I had only brought 500ml of water so that was first learning point! By the end of our 10 mile walk I had had enough but felt pretty good. Second learning point came 2 days later when I felt more tired and my calf muscles felt really tight. Looking back I realized I hadn't stretched much. So after all this preamble my question on 57 days count down to starting Camino is should I and more importantly how should I be stretching? Any advice welcome and/or point me somewhere to see what you mean. Thanks
I too have 57 days and am a little worried about my fitness I walk every morning about 6 k's and swim a few times a week I am on my feet most of the day at work and plan to put in a few longer walks but work always seems to get in the way just hope all will be good I think all we can do is our best and take it from there
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too have 57 days and am a little worried about my fitness I walk every morning about 6 k's and swim a few times a week I am on my feet most of the day at work and plan to put in a few longer walks but work always seems to get in the way just hope all will be good I think all we can do is our best and take it from there
Buen Camino
It's now day 56 and the countdown continues! As you say we will have to do our best and persevere with getting as fit as possible and squeeze walking with backpack into our daily routine as best we can. You are walking daily so that is good. For me walking up a big hill was just a bit of a shock! We will soon be here doing it for real ready or not - I am definitely going to need some essential wine each night for a reward...Buen camino.

The most important thing is not the stretching but the walking.Get as much walk practice in as you can.through the winter I use a gym treadmill,but now spring is near I will also do one longish walk a week as well,building up to start of Camino.Buen Camino and good luck.
Thanks. You are right - walking is the key - however flat my part of the world is.

The first few days will be tough as your body gets used to the walking and carrying a load. It will also be getting used to the altitude. Don't be afraid to adjust your pace (slow down) and take frequent breaks. Enjoy the journey. It is okay to push through if you are tired but may not be a good idea if you are hurting. Listen to your body and react to what it is telling you.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another thought: turn around once in a while and look at how far you have come. It amazes me sometimes how much ground I have covered in a day or week. It will also feel great to crawl in to bed totally fatigued instead of just sleepy or mentally tired.

The first few days will be tough as your body gets used to the walking and carrying a load. It will also be getting used to the altitude. Don't be afraid to adjust your pace (slow down) and take frequent breaks. Enjoy the journey. It is okay to push through if you are tired but may not be a good idea if you are hurting. Listen to your body and react to what it is telling you.

Buen Camino!
Good advice - thanks. Think I will need to listen carefully and not be reticent in stopping frequently on the ascent from SJPdP given my recent hill walk experience!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have done a lot of backpacking and uphill, for me, is much easier than downhill. The added impact of the weight of the pack on my knees on the downhills really bothers me the first couple of days. I plan on bringing poles with me in September to see if this help. I have been advised that it does.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another thought: turn around once in a while and look at how far you have come. It amazes me sometimes how much ground I have covered in a day or week. It will also feel great to crawl in to bed totally fatigued instead of just sleepy or mentally tired.
Yes looking back helps. My only concern is adjusting to walking practically every day. At the moment I can choose to slob out at home and not walk but soon I won't have that luxury and I hope I don't regret not doing enough pre Camino walking training!

I have done a lot of backpacking and uphill, for me, is much easier than downhill. The added impact of the weight of the pack on my knees really bothers me the first couple of days. I plan on bringing poles with me in September to see if this help. I have been advised that it does.
The poles definitely helped my knees and particularly offering added balance up and down hill. I am now a convert and advocate of them and have lost my initial reticence any residual embarrassment being seen walking with them too.

What Mike said.
I feel if you take the first day into Orrison, the second day into Roncesvalles, and the third day into Zubiri VERY slow, taking your time and stopping to rest whenever your body tells you, you will train while on the Camino.
You will slowly build up your strength and endurance.
Much of the Camino is flat or simply rolling hills; there's not a lot of real climbing.
Those first three days are hard, then it gets easier in my opinion.
But a LOT of people injure themselves the first three days so go slow as a snail and rest a lot and if it's raining, use those poles!
You'll be fine :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What Mike said.
I feel if you take the first day into Orrison, the second day into Roncesvalles, and the third day into Zubiri VERY slow, taking your time and stopping to rest whenever your body tells you, you will train while on the Camino.
You will slowly build up your strength and endurance.
Much of the Camino is flat or simply rolling hills; there's not a lot of real climbing.
Those first three days are hard, then it gets easier in my opinion.
But a LOT of people injure themselves the first three days so go slow as a snail and rest a lot and if it's raining, use those poles!
You'll be fine :)
Thanks for helpful guidance. As you say slow and easy does it.

Thanks for comments. I wish I was a gym loving type of person - I found it almost depressing - especially seeing super fit people around me that didn't need to be there and then there was me panting, embarrassing really!!

One of the easiest and most effective things you can do as part of your training regime is to jump rope. This will build up your cardiovascular endurance quickly and also will strengthen your upper and lower legs. You can do this at home. If you have a heart rate monitor you will see that you can approach your maximum heart rate in as little as 50 jumps. Try to do a set of 25 or 50 jumps to start, resting for 30-60 seconds between sets to allow your heart rate to fall. Add sets as you become more fit. This is called interval training. The next time you walk up those hills you will be amazed how much easier your breathing will be.
Good hiking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For everything I recommend yoga. Even if you never do anything 'extreme' just the balance and stretching is 100% worth it.

One of the easiest and most effective things you can do as part of your training regime is to jump rope. This will build up your cardiovascular endurance quickly and also will strengthen your upper and lower legs. You can do this at home. If you have a heart rate monitor you will see that you can approach your maximum heart rate in as little as 50 jumps. Try to do a set of 25 or 50 jumps to start, resting for 30-60 seconds between sets to allow your heart rate to fall. Add sets as you become more fit. This is called interval training. The next time you walk up those hills you will be amazed how much easier your breathing will be.
Good hiking.
Now there is a challenge - "me" with a skipping rope and skipping! It won't look pretty but worth a go. I apologize to my neighbours in advance...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It takes me about a week to get my "mountain legs" when carrying a pack, but then I am geriatric.

All of the above and finished off with a foam roller.

I strained my Hip Flexors and my marathon friends recommended this. It makes all the difference after a long walk or the 42 flights of stairs I climb for training.

Oh and 50 sleeps until my pane leave the states!!
NP

Last edited:
All of the above and finished off with a foam roller.

I stained my Hip Flexors and my marathon friends recommended this. It makes all the difference after a long walk or the 42 flights of stairs I climb for training.

Oh and 50 sleeps until my pane leave the states!!
NP
So what you are basically suggesting is that after a grueling days walk I have to through myself on the floor and roll on this - which is painful - look silly (not hard to do!) in order to feel better? OR I can go to bar and order some caffeine and a fine brandy to dull the pain? Tough one...!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha ha ha ha Sort of.

And really I use mine the next day or hours later. The drinks could still numb your pain...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.