• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5th time on the Sanabrés

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
In Salamanca recently I had to decide whether to head west to Portugal on the Camino Torres or north on the Plata. Unadventurously, a combination of time, weather, total lack of Portuguese and the fact that I haven't been to lovely Zamora for three years (far too long) decided me on the Sanabrés. Which may be familiar, but is still a beautiful varied walk, and Sanabria is especially lovely in its autumn colours, even if there is snow around Padornelo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your wonderful posts Alan--they have a way of planting seeds, so I have been 'lurking,' even though my 'to-walk' list tends to be further north. May your journey through the hills be a glorious one!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Salamanca recently I had to decide whether to head west to Portugal on the Camino Torres or north on the Plata. Unadventurously, a combination of time, weather, total lack of Portuguese and the fact that I haven't been to lovely Zamora for three years (far too long) decided me on the Sanabrés. Which may be familiar, but is still a beautiful varied walk, and Sanabria is especially lovely in its autumn colours, even if there is snow around Padornelo.
Ah, you lucky one ;)

Wish you a nice Camino and may the weather be merciful on you!

Just arriwed from Sanabres. A sleebingbag is absolutely needed. There are quite a lot of alberques without any plancets. We did'nt have our own, and had to buy own plancets in Ourense. Another notice; there are also some alberques with a new kitchen, but not even a single pot for kooking.
However, an amazing route. Always worth for walking.
Buon Camino.
Btw. My first post on this forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoy your wonderful walk. Keep us posted. Questions for all. I have walked C.F. alone three times summer/ fall and once in winter, felt safe all the way. But, June/August 2017, I plan to walk Via de la Plata from Seville to Sanabres to Santiago to Muxia to Finesterre. I know it will be hot and due to heat I think this may be low season on the Via and Sanabres. So, will albergues be open? Is it safe for a woman to walk alone? And, if so, are there albergues or lodging of some type at least every 20kms or so?

Related to another thread, what sort of sleeping bag do you have?

I've never carried a sleeping bag. I have a liner which, with blankets, has always been enough for me. I may regret this in the coming days, as there's quite thick snow here in Requejo, so goodness knows what it's like up Padornelo (and low cloud means I can't see).

So, will albergues be open? Is it safe for a woman to walk alone? And, if so, are there albergues or lodging of some type at least every 20kms or so?
There are several threads dealing with these questions, including this one.

There are quite a few threads, including some that followed members day-by-day as they walked in 2015, 2016 and before, posted on the Via de la Plata part of the forum. (It's a bit confusing to find those sections, but try this link and scroll down the page).

To plan a route and the daily stages, the best reference I know of is godesalco.com . There are still stages that do require more than 20 km, and a couple over 30 km.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Enjoy your wonderful walk. Keep us posted. Questions for all. I have walked C.F. alone three times summer/ fall and once in winter, felt safe all the way. But, June/August 2017, I plan to walk Via de la Plata from Seville to Sanabres to Santiago to Muxia to Finesterre. I know it will be hot and due to heat I think this may be low season on the Via and Sanabres. So, will albergues be open? Is it safe for a woman to walk alone? And, if so, are there albergues or lodging of some type at least every 20kms or so?
I walked the Vdlp alone in June/July 2013 and loved it, although quiet, I felt safe the whole way, including the Sanabres. All available albergues were open, but I believe this year there may be a problem for the stretch after cacer de caceres. Check locally. The only issue for me was the heat. Returning to do it again 2017 leaving Seville on 17 May. Might see you en route somewhere.

... I believe this year there may be a problem for the stretch after cacer de caceres. Check locally. ...
Hi, Sue,

Why would there be a problem with opened albergues in the middle of summer (I understand you are referring that to your summer of 2013 Camino somehow) after Casar de Caceres?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Why would there be a problem with opened albergues in the middle of summer
By "problem for the stretch after cacer de caceres" I expect she's referring to the stretch after Cazar de Caceres, where there is no accommodation for about 33 km. There was an albergue that has been closed for a few years (a problem with water or wastewater disposal, I believe), and a guest house that always seems to be fully booked with workers from the AVE construction.

I think the other question was whether albergues close in the summer on the VdlP because there are fewer walkers at that time, in the heat.

Hi, Sue,

Why would there be a problem with opened albergues in the middle of summer (I understand you are referring that to your summer of 2013 Camino somehow) after Casar de Caceres?
The information I have is that the albergue at embalse de alcantara that I stayed at in 2013 has been closed intermittently but there appears to be an alternative. Probably isn't a problem, but my suggestion was to check locally to make sure either or both are open.

The information I have is that the albergue at embalse de alcantara that I stayed at in 2013 has been closed intermittently but there appears to be an alternative. Probably isn't a problem, but my suggestion was to check locally to make sure either or both are open.
Ah, I understand now :) Kind of a bottle neck accommodation wise. Thank you and @C clearly for explanation!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I think you will find that the albergue situation at the embalse has been a subject of a nimber of posts, the albergue was closed in '15 (it was when I passed ) but the fishing lodge was taking pilgrim bookings, this year the albergue was still closed, but the fishing lodge was not taking pilgrims, wanting I'm told to focus on longer term fishing guests.
Regards
George.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back