• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6-7 days walking for someone with arthritis

kerryabu

Time of past OR future Camino
camino French 2016
camino northern 2017
Hello, my wife and I have previously completed sections of Caminos St. James and Norte. Unfortunately, my wife has started to develop arthritis in her ankles and knees. At this stage she is comfortable walking 10-15k on the flat but has a problem with continuous or long uphill/downhill sections. Both of us love the Camino and I am trying to plan a 6-7 day route that would suit her. So far, that part of the Portugues north of Porto to Vigo looks promising to find a route. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice of where I could consider in particular?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last fall on the CP litoral/coastal, I incurred a significant knee meniscus tear of the 3rd day out of Porto. Although painful, the relative flatness of the route (as compared to others) combined with many boardwalks helped make it possible to finish at SdC. Not to mention that the litoral/coastal route is beautiful...

There may be times when you need to taxi ahead/back for a place to stay, then come back to that point to start the next day if no accommodations are available when she needs to stop. Whatever you decide, I wish you Buen Camino when the time comes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, my wife and I have previously completed sections of Caminos St. James and Norte. Unfortunately, my wife has started to develop arthritis in her ankles and knees. At this stage she is comfortable walking 10-15k on the flat but has a problem with continuous or long uphill/downhill sections. Both of us love the Camino and I am trying to plan a 6-7 day route that would suit her. So far, that part of the Portugues north of Porto to Vigo looks promising to find a route. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice of where I could consider in particular?
I was almost totally debilitated with severe arthritis when I went to Germany last November. It was difficult for me to walk 100 yards without excruciating pain in all my joints. I stopped at a pharmacy where they recommended a product named GELENCIUM. It is all natural and comprised of extracts of three plants. I was a skeptic but bought a bottle and followed the instructions that evening (6 drops in a glass of water 4 times each day for a week and then 3 times a day after that. For all extents and purposes my pain was almost completely gone within 24 hours - no more arthritis pain. The bottle lasted 3 months. I know you can find it on line if you type the name into your search engine. Buen Camino!

I was almost totally debilitated with severe arthritis when I went to Germany last November. It was difficult for me to walk 100 yards without excruciating pain in all my joints. I stopped at a pharmacy where they recommended a product named GELENCIUM. It is all natural and comprised of extracts of three plants. I was a skeptic but bought a bottle and followed the instructions that evening (6 drops in a glass of water 4 times each day for a week and then 3 times a day after that. For all extents and purposes my pain was almost completely gone within 24 hours - no more arthritis pain. The bottle lasted 3 months. I know you can find it on line if you type the name into your search engine. Buen Camino!

Thanks for that. Will try it. Nothing to lose!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd say that from a practical perspective, writing as a sufferer from the osteo-arthritis, the flatter the route, the better it will be.

Speaking personally -- as a very experienced hiker, I do know how to handle the opposite ; but it's also far best avoided, speaking from the handicap.

So I would definitely agree with your assessment concerning your wife's needs and comfort route-wise -- the Portuguese seems generally best.

I would for those purposes definitely recommend the coastal variant, including because coastal Caminos are kindlier mod-cons-wise towards the needs of osteo-arthritis pilgrims.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back