• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6-8 days on Via Francigena in Italy

Pelen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018 SJPdP-Logroño)
This time I will walk with a friend that would like to walk in Italy. We have 6-8 days available and the best is if we have as short time as possible to and from airports. Do you have some suggestions where to start and end?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Official route and stages. You can plan from here. Your requirement to limit it to accessible airports might be a problem. However if you were to consider Switzerland, it may be achievable.

Answering your last question first, the Via Francigena is never too far from the main Rome - Milan axis of transportation, and also passes very near Florence and Pisa, which also have international airports. So, you'll never be more than 2-3 hours from Rome or Milan by train, and in the middle sections, even closer to Florence and Pisa. Check Trenitalia, the national railway, for schedules. https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html. Google maps public transit icon, or Rome2Rio will help you identify local bus lines.

As to which section to walk, that really depends on what you like. Most people (and I wouldn't disagree) would direct you first to the Tuscan section starting in Lucca and continuing a few stages past Siena. This is classic Italy, Gorgeous medieval hill towns, iconic landscapes. If you opt for this section, I would suggest you skip the first stage -- from Lucca to Altopascio -- because it's largely urban walking through the outskirts of Lucca, and start in Altopascio, or even a stage further, in San Mineato, which is the first of the gorgeous hill towns (easy transportation from Florence). Then, keep on walking for as much time as you have, maybe ending up in Radicofani, a tiny jewel of a town.

A slight variation on the above would be to start in Siena, one of Italy's great small cities. You'd walk through an equally beautiful, though more severe, part of Tuscany and then a few stages into greener Lazio, which would put you within spitting distance of Rome.

If you want something more rugged, and less traveled, I'd shoot for the section which crosses the Appennines, and then passes near the Ligurian coast and through northern Tuscany. This is more rugged than Tuscany, but has terrific views, wonderful forests, and some charming little dots of towns. And once you get over the mountains, you pass through some really interesting, less touristed places, like Sarzana and Pietrasanta. A logical place to start would be Fidenza, while Lucca would be your logical terminus. Both are terrific small cities, easily accessed from Rome, Milan, Florence and Pisa. Once you get over the mountains, you could even leapfrog the sections in Liguria, and jump from Pontremoli to Lucca, and do some of the sections in central Tuscany mentioned above.

A third choice would be the Val D'Aosta section in the north, starting in Aosta and continuing to around Santhia, where the (very flat and featureless) Po Valley commences. This is the section after the traverse of the Alps, but still has plenty of ups and downs and offers continual views of the Alps surrounding the valley. I found the towns in this section less interesting, though.

Best place to start researching is Sandy Brown's guidebooks, published by Cicerone. Volume 2 covers northern Italy, volume 3 covers from Lucca to Rome. There's also an excellent app put out by the European Association of Vie Francigene. Plus, Gronze.com now has a section on the VF. Use google chrome to open it in English.

Buon Cammino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Answering your last question first, the Via Francigena is never too far from the main Rome - Milan axis of transportation, and also passes very near Florence and Pisa, which also have international airports. So, you'll never be more than 2-3 hours from Rome or Milan by train, and in the middle sections, even closer to Florence and Pisa. Check Trenitalia, the national railway, for schedules. https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html. Google maps public transit icon, or Rome2Rio will help you identify local bus lines.

As to which section to walk, that really depends on what you like. Most people (and I wouldn't disagree) would direct you first to the Tuscan section starting in Lucca and continuing a few stages past Siena. This is classic Italy, Gorgeous medieval hill towns, iconic landscapes. If you opt for this section, I would suggest you skip the first stage -- from Lucca to Altopascio -- because it's largely urban walking through the outskirts of Lucca, and start in Altopascio, or even a stage further, in San Mineato, which is the first of the gorgeous hill towns (easy transportation from Florence). Then, keep on walking for as much time as you have, maybe ending up in Radicofani, a tiny jewel of a town.

A slight variation on the above would be to start in Siena, one of Italy's great small cities. You'd walk through an equally beautiful, though more severe, part of Tuscany and then a few stages into greener Lazio, which would put you within spitting distance of Rome.

If you want something more rugged, and less traveled, I'd shoot for the section which crosses the Appennines, and then passes near the Ligurian coast and through northern Tuscany. This is more rugged than Tuscany, but has terrific views, wonderful forests, and some charming little dots of towns. And once you get over the mountains, you pass through some really interesting, less touristed places, like Sarzana and Pietrasanta. A logical place to start would be Fidenza, while Lucca would be your logical terminus. Both are terrific small cities, easily accessed from Rome, Milan, Florence and Pisa. Once you get over the mountains, you could even leapfrog the sections in Liguria, and jump from Pontremoli to Lucca, and do some of the sections in central Tuscany mentioned above.

A third choice would be the Val D'Aosta section in the north, starting in Aosta and continuing to around Santhia, where the (very flat and featureless) Po Valley commences). This is the section after the traverse of the Alps, but still has plenty of ups and downs and offers continual views of the Alps surrounding the valley. I found the towns in this section less interesting, though.

Best place to start researching is Sandy Brown's guidebooks, published by Cicerone. Volume 2 covers northern Italy, volume 3 covers from Lucca to Rome. There's also an excellent app put out by the European Association of Vie Francigene. Plus, Gronze.com now has a section on the VF. Use google chrome to open it in English.

Buon Cammino!
This is really great. Thanks for the detailed and informative descriptions. Question…what type of accommodation and nourishment would I find on these routes and is it necessary to bring sleeping gear?

This is really great. Thanks for the detailed and informative descriptions. Question…what type of accommodation and nourishment would I find on these routes and is it necessary to bring sleeping gear?
Accommodations are plentiful at all levels -- from hostels to upscale -- though in the Apennines your choices will be more constrained, should you choose to do that section. There's lists in the guidebooks I mentioned, and also on the official app, though I often found these lists frustrating because there was little descriptive informatiion, or information about prices, and sometimes it was difficult to tell where the lodging was in relation to the VF, so I often defaulted to booking.com. However, now that Gronze has a section devoted to the VF, it should be much easier, because Gronze shows prices, where the place is exactly, and also includes descriptions and even reviews. (If you don't know Gronze.com, you should. It's the Bible of the caminos. It's a website, so bookmark it on your phone, then open it with Google chrome so there's automatic translation into English).

We especially liked staying in seminaries, monasteries, or convents, or the church-run hostels. Comfortable, friendly and inexpensive, and they don't push religion on you in any way. (I'm an atheist Jew myself). There's also plenty of other hostels, though not as many as in Spain. If you stay in hostels, you'll need to bring a sleep sheet and a towel. Blankets and other bedding are always provided.

It's also harder to wing it than in Spain. The hostels are often very small, and they need to know you're coming. Ditto with the plentiful b&b's and other small lodgings. I generally booked about 2 days ahead.

As to nourishment, you're in Italy!!! Food and wine capital of the universe. (Though the French might disagree). You'll have to pay a bit more than in Spain, but after a week in Italy, you'll never be able to face a sh---ty Pilgrim's meal again.

Last edited:
I walked from Lucca to Siena with my two grown sons in 2017, approximately 85 miles (136 KM). We took seven days. It was a very nice walk but be aware that there is a lot of up and down, between 1,500 to 2,000 ft (450 to 600 meters) most days. The route was very well marked Many local people we met along the way greeted us warmly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Accommodations are plentiful at all levels -- from hostels to upscale -- though in the Apennines your choices will be more constrained, should you choose to do that section. There's lists in the guidebooks I mentioned, and also on the official app, though I often found these lists frustrating because there was little descriptive informatiion, or information about prices, and sometimes it was difficult to tell where the lodging was in relation to the VF, so I often defaulted to booking.com. However, now that Gronze has a section devoted to the VF, it should be much easier, because Gronze shows prices, where the place is exactly, and also includes descriptions and even reviews. (If you don't know Gronze.com, you should. It's the Bible of the caminos. It's a website, so bookmark it on your phone, then open it with Google chrome so there's automatic translation into English).

We especially liked staying in seminaries, monasteries, or convents, or the church-run hostels. Comfortable, friendly and inexpensive, and they don't push religion on you in any way. (I'm an atheist Jew myself). There's also plenty of other hostels, though not as many as in Spain. If you stay in hostels, you'll need to bring a sleep sheet and a towel. Blankets and other bedding are always provided.

It's also harder to wing it than in Spain. The hostels are often very small, and they need to know you're coming. Ditto with the plentiful b&b's and other small lodgings. I generally booked about 2 days ahead.

As to nourishment, you're in Italy!!! Food and wine capital of the universe. (Though the French might disagree). You'll have to pay a bit more than in Spain, but you'll never be able to eat a sh---ty Pilgrim's meal again.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Your attention to detail is very much appreciated. And thanks for the link to Gronze (as I was unaware of this site). Enjoy exploring wherever your feet may carry you.🙂

Thanks a lot for all your detailed information, very appreciated. We plan to walk in September next year so I am planning a long time in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back