• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 day Camino taster

Booms81

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey, just done a six day section of the Via Francigena in Tuscany (Lucca to Siena) and now thinking of doing something similar in Spain this October.

Not the whole thing!

I'm particularly interested in a section with the following features:
-Fantastic scenery, ideally some hills and maybe coast.
-Good availability of food, cafes, menus del días and accommodation without needing to book ahead.
-Very little time spent on roads with motor vehicles
-Good weather this October, when we're thinking of going.
-Other people doing it to talk to!

We know Spain pretty well and I'm aware the Francés ticks off some of these, but the sections in the middle through pancake flat industrial agriculture don't honestly appeal. We're doing it as a couple, both guys, early 40s, fairly fit.

Any recommendations for a six day section?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey, just done a six day section of the Via Francigena in Tuscany (Lucca to Siena) and now thinking of doing something similar in Spain this October.

Not the whole thing!

-Good availability of food, cafes, menus del días and accommodation without needing to book ahead.

We know Spain pretty well and I'm aware the Francés ticks off some of these, but the sections in the middle through pancake flat industrial agriculture don't honestly appeal. We're doing it as a couple, both guys, early 40s, fairly fit.

Camino Ingles. Ticks all the boxes and gives you a free day in Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For the most part - it sounds like the Frances is your best route - but you want to skip the Meseta - so don't do Burgos to Leon. Any segment before/after the Meseta should check off the majority of your wish list. No coast though. But Frances should still have decent weather and should still have plenty of albergues, food, and other services. It is also the most "social" Camino route. I don't know enough about the Ingles Route - not sure it has the same level of infrastructure and isn't as popular as the Frances - so don't know if you will have the same kind of social scene in October.

Jeanine makes a fair point that the Ingles - especially in October - isn’t the mobile party that the Frances becomes in peak season, and there is much less pilgrim-oriented infrastructure - but that which there is, is more authentic and part of the indigenous community. It is also - if that’s important to you - a ‘complete’ Camino in the eyes of the authorities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Not the whole thing!

I am walking last stage of Portuguese Route from Vigo to Santiago, starting Oct. 4! May check your boxes!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Not the whole thing!

I did a week in October on El Norte from Bilbao to Santander. It was everything you’re looking for! Hint: don’t start in the city of Bilbao but take a train north to the end of the line at the ocean and start there.

Just completed Central Portuguese (Tui - Santiago) with a friend. Ticks most of your boxes.. the towns of Tui, Pontavedra and of course Santiago are just stunning (and hey, a Paradore hotel in each!!)... we stayed in a variety of accommodation from albergues to Paradores, the route was not crazy busy but always someone to chat to should you wish. Easy walking, weather was superb (late September). Compared to Frances (walked the whole 780 + into Finestere), this 7 day walk really packed it in. Enjoyed it so much looking at walking from Porto next year.

Much as I loved my week on the English Way in April, it has long stretches of asphalt, roads and traffic to avoid. And there's not much coastline either.

I made a film of the images you'd see along the route.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just completed Central Portuguese (Tui - Santiago) with a friend. Ticks most of your boxes.. the towns of Tui, Pontavedra and of course Santiago are just stunning (and hey, a Paradore hotel in each!!)... we stayed in a variety of accommodation from albergues to Paradores, the route was not crazy busy but always someone to chat to should you wish. Easy walking, weather was superb (late September). Compared to Frances (walked the whole 780 + into Finestere), this 7 day walk really packed it in. Enjoyed it so much looking at walking from Porto next year.
Going to do Vigo to Santiago in March /23. Would be most interested to hear of the places you stayed along the way as we are trying to choose accomodations. Cheers from Newfoundland!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back