• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 days in may 2016

bamse

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (Col de Somport-Finisterre)
Hello peregrinos!
I'm planning to walk a part of the Camino del Norte in may with a friend. I only have 6 days (boehoe) so I wanted to ask you which part is the most beautiful. And yes, I know beauty is very personal.. What I'm looking for is peace and quiet in nature (no big roads, traffic, industry, ..). I already walked the camino frances 15 years ago and a part of the camino portugues last year. I was surprised about how many people were walking this. I was hoping for some more solitude (as were other peregrinos too) but at the other hand enjoyed the lively atmosphere among the peregrinos in the beautiful albergues in Portugal. If you could tell me something more about the atmosphere of the camino del norte I would be very grateful!
Thank you and keep up the spirit!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I love the first part of the Norte, I started in SanSebastian, and I rear the part between Irun and San Sebastian is even more beautiful. But I don't think it is as quiet and remote as you may want it to be, although you will walk mostly alone. The Primtivo does have a number of more remote stages, in particular from Salas to Tineo and thr Hospitales route.

As an off-beat suggestion, Baamonde is just over 100km from Santiago - and certainly stops in Miraz, Sobrado and Boimorto will be pretty peaceful before you join the end of the Camino Frances

Difficult to avoid big roads - and, more importantly, you haven't said how far you expect to cover in the 6 days - and if that includes a day getting to your start or a day in Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello peregrinos!
I'm planning to walk a part of the Camino del Norte in may with a friend. I only have 6 days (boehoe) so I wanted to ask you which part is the most beautiful. And yes, I know beauty is very personal.. What I'm looking for is peace and quiet in nature (no big roads, traffic, industry, ..). I already walked the camino frances 15 years ago and a part of the camino portugues last year. I was surprised about how many people were walking this. I was hoping for some more solitude (as were other peregrinos too) but at the other hand enjoyed the lively atmosphere among the peregrinos in the beautiful albergues in Portugal. If you could tell me something more about the atmosphere of the camino del norte I would be very grateful!
Thank you and keep up the spirit!

Hi,

Statistically the Norte is the 3rd most popular route after Francés and Portugués so there will be less pilgrims compared with your previous routes. I think you will be walking mostly alone, unless you hook up with someone, but you will never be alone in the albergues - they tend to fill up in the afternoon, just like any on the francés or the portugués.

Have you considered reeeally solitary routes like the Sureste or the Levante? For those hardy pilgrims who want to walk three weeks without meeting any other pilgrim........... :OD

As for the Norte: I agree with Anemone: the first week is especially beautiful. There are a lot of similarly beautiful stages along the whole Camino, sure, but they all come in a row the first week. Starting in Irún and ending in Deba will have you see a lot of the Ocean by your side, and if you have time to add Markina-Xemein and Guernika within those 6 days you will deviate from the coast to make the last stages through the hills and the woods.

To avoid traffic and industry: avoid stages that include Portugalete, Bilbao (although Bilbao itself is fantastic), Gijón, Avilés. I could smell the pollution from Portugalete while approaching and leaving...! Gijón industrial area was just horrible, according to me.

Good luck!

Bad Pilgrim

As stated by others already, I would suggest starting in Irun and just go from there. If you have six days, and are looking for quietness and beautiful nature, I would suggest walking the Camino Salvador (Leon-Oviedo) which is perfectly doable in 5-6 days.

As stated by others already, I would suggest starting in Irun and just go from there. If you have six days, and are looking for quietness and beautiful nature, I would suggest walking the Camino Salvador (Leon-Oviedo) which is perfectly doable in 5-6 days.
Excellent idea!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello again!
Thank you all very much for the replies. I'm going to read now a bit more about the suggestions you've made. Also about the other caminos I didn't know about. O yes, another suggestion: a friend of mine biked in july (JULY!!) a part of the camino starting in the Delta of the Ebro passing by Zaragoza. She said it was beautiful but obviously a bit too hot. But at the other hand: no other peregrinos so solitude guaranteed..
All the best!

I would say start in Irun! First day is pathways and seawalls - no roads until the end when you descend into San Sebastian and walk through the city. There are alot of wooded paths included with the country road trails. We walked across a few fields. The day out of Deba is all woods. And, of course, the ocean views are spectacular. I love this walk!!!

Kathy

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back