• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 days. Which Section?

ausmarko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012) Camino Portuguese (2013) & the Norte to come (2019)
I will be completing the Portuguese Camino this September after walking the length of the Camino Frances last year, but missing the Meseta because i thought i would not have enough time.
I will have about 6 days after completing the Camino Portuguese from Porto and also the Finistere leg before i travel to Barcelona for a week - which i missed last year and really wanted to see. I am toying with retracing my steps over some of my favourite sections through Galicia, or do I do the Meseta? In essence, is 6 days on the Meseta worth it when this will probably be my last time in Spain for years or do i spend more time elsewhere?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would give it a miss mate.
Its possible but this section is sometimes beautiful and there are days when you have a shorter one.
Save it for when you will be doing the Invierno
or Leon to Oviedo which is really beautiful.

Why not walk the coast from Muxia to A' Coruna
You will get some advice on that mate from Tracey.
Its a wonderful way.

David

David has it right-definitely Muxia over Fistera and the Costa Morte is amazing. Fistera has the name, the lighthouse, and the 0k marker. It is no longer a quaint fishing village but is quite commercial and pilgrims are part of that mess. The Costa Morte is open free and wild, cliffs, sunsets, and lighthouses and besides Muxia also has a 0k milestone. Ask for Begonia on the way into Muxia, she runs a small lovely guest house
S

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That's a really good question and I'll be interested in all the responses. I love the Meseta, but have only really experienced walking it as part of a longer Camino so I wonder how well it would work as a 'stand alone'. Yes there are wonderful sections, but others run alongside road for significant distances. Without the consolation of being a bit closer to Santiago at the end of the day and experiencing it in the wider context of the Camino you could find yourself feeling there were one or two 'wasted' days in there. On the other hand you may have a sense of completion after your Camino last year, so it really depends how you feel about it.

Buen Camino whatever you choose!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I liked walking on the Meseta. Like tyrrek I only experienced it as part of the longer camino. I don't understand why people find it boring. I remember being disappointed with all the wind turbines destroying the featurelessness of it all.

I'm the kind of person that walks trails to the top of mountains even though they are socked in with cloud and feel exhilarated by it so maybe I'm not the best resource to rely on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the replies and the great options. The Camino del Salvador looks like a great option.
I will check it out. Looks like a nice challenging mountain route.

Would agree with Laurie , Marko .
It is lovely, a fraction hard [ don't believe her 4 days bit , the girl loves a walk] and a bit remote with only the "locals" using....in my opinion :D
I mentioned Muxia and the Costa Morte also because of its beauty , remote little villages, bays etc but also because you were on the Portuguese.
Many cross with the ferry @ Caminha and follow the coast , all the way.....especially the young germans i was meeting.

If in town hope to see you @ Lt Bourke Street
David

Ha, Thornley, I seem to remember that you enjoy a remote challenging walk yourself. And there are many ways to break this down into 5-6 days. But Thornley is right about the solitude, though I think it's changing quite a bit. I think it's unlikely you will be totally alone as I was both times I walked it.

Marko, if you are thinking about it, here is a bit more info.

There's an online CSJ guide, written by our own Rebekah: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Ender, the Camino angel who has put sturdy metal arrows and conch shell markings on the remote stretches, especially between Poladura and Santa Maria del Arbas, also has an excellent guide, translated into English: http://caminodelsalvador.net/?cat=13 It has been updated more recently than the CSJ guide, and there are several important changes. Ender's guide gives you lots of ways to break the stages down to suit your walking level.

I have walked this way twice, and kept a blog in 2012. I did this in conjunction with the Vadiniense and Primitivo, and the part of the blog dealing wtih the Salvador starts here: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID ... c=postname

The Salvador is a bit challenging, but I don't think there's more than 400-500 m elevation gain on the stretch between Buiza and the Puerto de Pajares. That's certainly doable for anyone with a moderate level of fitness.

And it has some absolutely stunningly beautiful mountain sections! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Thornley

One suggestion that has not been mentioned is to walk from Lugo or Fonsagrada to SdC.
That way you would experience part of the Primitivo and the beautiful mountains.
It could be a 5-7 day walk, but maybe it is easier to access Leon than Lugo/Fonsagrada, which may have a saying to where to start from.
I just write this to give you an option which ends in SdC, but I actually would like more to experience Camino del Salvador.

Whatever way you choose, Buen Camino
Lettinggo

If in town hope to see you @ Lt Bourke Street
David

My second home:) Which shop? Last year gearing up for the Camino Frances it was a good place to haunt. This year only a couple of extras to get - maybe some boot inserts and a couple of hiking socks.

Ender, the Camino angel who has put sturdy metal arrows and conch shell markings on the remote stretches, especially between Poladura and Santa Maria del Arbas, also has an excellent guide, translated into English: http://caminodelsalvador.net/?cat=13

Boy! Looking at this some of the turn-off's onto minor paths would be impossible without this guide!
It looks a bit remote and not well travelled. I like the idea of it, but I also liked the companionship of the Frances. I wouldn't like to be the only one on the route and all alone in the Albergue's:)
Thanks for the info though and it is still a possibility.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back